prizna

What training did you do today...

Very easy 10km with an old family friend. He’s 71, has run well over 100 marathons and  last year still managed a 1:42 HM. 

Absolutely amazing bloke 👍

• Like 1

70km easy pace but very ride. Included standing in the side of the road for 40mins waiting for freezing fog to disperse. It was clear as a bell when I left, 45 mins later I’m in the middle of the moors, can’t see my hand in front of my face and trying not to think of Stephen King novels. 👀

8 minutes ago, FatPom said:

It was clear as a bell when I left, 45 mins later I’m in the middle of the moors, can’t see my hand in front of my face and trying not to think of Stephen King novels. 👀

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It’s funny now I’m home. :lol:

50 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Included standing in the side of the road for 40mins waiting for freezing fog to disperse.  

Isn’t it almost summer there now? :lol:

1 minute ago, roxii said:

Isn’t it almost summer there now? :lol:

It’s just around the corner mate :lol:  Bizarre thing was, 90 mins after getting going again ( and climbing Cheddar Gorge) I was taking layers off. Now I’m about to go out cut Mum’s lawn in the sunshine.

Its been a weird bloody day!

Ride in this morning and joined my old group for a portion of their ride!  Ouch.  I thought I used to be crap, and I was.  But this is while new levels of crap.  This was the crap that happens when you feed your dog a new brand of tinned food that it's not used to, and it's all messy and runny and stinky.....  It was that sort of crap.  Had to tell them to go on without me after 15k as I couldn't remotely hold their wheels anymore.

Another 1.6km with a Mona Fartlek back. And another 1sec/km faster than last swim. Over 100 swimmers at the dam this morning from a few clubs. At least I got away before them, but I had to wind my way through a mess of swimmers taking up the whole reach.

#feelinggood #toomanyswimmers #can'twaitforwinter

16 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Another 1.6km with a Mona Fartlek back. And another 1sec/km faster than last swim. Over 100 swimmers at the dam this morning from a few clubs. At least I got away before them, but I had to wind my way through a mess of swimmers taking up the whole reach.

#feelinggood #toomanyswimmers #can'twaitforwinter

Bloody winging old prick 🤣

36 minutes ago, Surfer said:

FP - what race are you targeting?

I’ve been avoiding putting it out there because I think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew but,,,,,,

Im attempting to qualify for UTMB.  More accurately, the CCC, which is 117km and something mental like 9,000 mtrs elevation.

To qualify, I need 8pts from two qualification races. You can do this over two years but it may take 3 yrs for my name to be drawn, so I’m trying for 8pts this year.

The two ultras I’ve chosen are the 85km Race to the King on June 22nd and the 100km  Race to the Stones on July 14.  Both these races can be done as a split distance (camp overnight) but for UTMB points, I need to do both in one go.

Ive never run further than a marathon before. I’ve been gradually working my way up to 70-80km weeks and trying to keep in touch with my riding.  It’s a one shot deal and if I don’t get drawn in the next two years, I lose my points.

No, I don’t know what I’m doing, yes, I’m an idiot.:blink:

• Like 4

Great vid!

Nah not an idiot, goals are good for us. Are you going to run with poles? Ive used them, they make a big difference. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

Are you going to run with poles? Ive used them, they make a big difference. 

Brexit means no Poles allowed......

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

Great vid!

Nah not an idiot, goals are good for us. Are you going to run with poles? Ive used them, they make a big difference. 

I haven’t run with poles yet and the races I’ve chosen are not really hilly in ultra terms. Some have used poles at these races but most seem they are not really warranted ( from an ultra point of view but they may be good help for my back).

Some ultras in the UK you definitely need poles for and there is a third race in the series I’m doing called Rcae to the Tower which is very very hilly. I’m not doing that one but later today, I’m trail running/walking 35km with a mate who did Tower as a split race last year, so I will be able to quiz him on whether he’s using poles this year ( I know last year he didn’t).

For CCC, I am sure I will need them.  A mate from work, who has since moved back to NZ did it last year and he wished he’d had them.  He is a guy that did IM Wales in 2017 nearly 3hrs quicker than me and at CCC, he went over 26hrs.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

120km on this whip. On loan from the shop. Still trying to decide what to buy

D91FC2D6-A990-449D-A50A-48923415F2A3.jpeg

Very nice, our local shop has those, they look very striking. I saw the new Cervelo range at Tri UK yesterday, the R5 is out of my budget but the R3 was very tempting.

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

120km on this whip. On loan from the shop. Still trying to decide what to buy

D91FC2D6-A990-449D-A50A-48923415F2A3.jpeg

A shop that will loan you a bike???  Is that normal? I'm looking at replacing my Roadie (6 years old, 9.5kg with wheels) and would love to be able to try a few!!!

7 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

A shop that will loan you a bike???  Is that normal? I'm looking at replacing my Roadie (6 years old, 9.5kg with wheels) and would love to be able to try a few!!!

Not sure. I spend a lot of money at the shop & they know my wife has given me pre approval to purchase lol

My mate up here has had loaners before buying in the past.  Like demo cars.

9 hours ago, FatPom said:

No, I don’t know what I’m doing, yes, I’m an idiot.:blink:

I like surrounding myself with people who meet both those criteria!  Makes me feel at home.

• Haha 3

32kms trail run/walk.

16km in and I went ass over head and bashed both knees, my hand, side of my face and I’m pretty sure I’ve cracked a rib.  It was a long slog back!

I really don’t think I’m very good at this :blush: :lol:

• Confused 1

18km on the bike this morning. I really have forgotten how to ride. Started fine, as this street is flat, then leads to a gradual downhill/false flat toward Samford for 5km, so I thought I was doing fine. Then I got to a slight rise. My God that was bad. It felt like I was going up the Alps. Down the other side again & things were good again, but then going back home, UP that false flat was a struggle.

And to top it off, the top strap on my old favourite shoe snapped.

DSC_2633.thumb.JPG.97864a4932a3c3c9b09df396400539bf.JPG

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

18km on the bike this morning. I really have forgotten how to ride. Started fine, as this street is flat, then leads to a gradual downhill/false flat toward Samford for 5km, so I thought I was doing fine. Then I got to a slight rise. My God that was bad. It felt like I was going up the Alps. Down the other side again & things were good again, but then going back home, UP that false flat was a struggle.

And to top it off, the top strap on my old favourite shoe snapped.

DSC_2633.thumb.JPG.97864a4932a3c3c9b09df396400539bf.JPG

Clearly you need a new bike to go with some new shoes

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I whole-heartedly agree.

Is there anybody here that could write a good business justification for $3k given I've ridden 22km since last June?

• Haha 1

Just say the Easter Bunny gave it to you because you're giving up chocolate 

Or "this old thing? Ive had it for ages" .... works everytime 😉😉

Edited by Surfer
Added a tried & trusted line
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I whole-heartedly agree.

Is there anybody here that could write a good business justification for $3k given I've ridden 22km since last June?

$3k...? You must be buying a giant...

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

If you are a size 45 let me know. You can have my shoes like that. I think there in the shed. Feel free to rip the buckle off & chuck the shoes 

33 minutes ago, pieman said:

$3k...? You must be buying a giant...

Nah, I'll just get an $8k bike that's a year old.

4 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

If you are a size 45 let me know. You can have my shoes like that. I think there in the shed. Feel free to rip the buckle off & chuck the shoes 

Nah, 43/44. I've got another set of shoes I can use at the moment, and if my knee doesn't explode in the next 24 hours after this, and I can start doing some small rides, I might even splurge & buy another pair.

20 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Nah, I'll just get an $8k bike that's a year old.

Thanks for that. I’m off to the bike shop in 10min & the wife is coming with me so I can on the spot approval.

Another ocean swim today, the “1.9k” tilbury classic at Culburra nice little round the headland swim.

A little bumpy round the headland then a nasty shore dump to finish. 

16424C9C-9740-44FB-9C6F-602B22AF3D6F.png

• Like 4

My program said swim 2.2km so I had to make up extra distance. 

• Haha 2

1500m swim in the local dam to try out a wetsuit (sleeveless) I was able to borrow from a mate (who has about 20kgs on me) in case Byron allows wetsuits.  The fact that it fits me pretty well is a concern :blink:

Wetsuit was great, dam was bloody freezing.  First 200m, I didn't think I'd be able to swim as my head was aching & I was struggling to get my breath.  Slowed down, relaxed and after about 10mins, it was OK. No way I could have swum without the wettie.

Dam is the lowest I've ever seen it and they've put up no swimming/fishing/paddling signs which I've never seen in 25yrs, even though the algae alert level is zero?????  Probably wasn't supposed to be in there, but with the only pool in town closed for Easter, no other option & I've confirmed the wettie will be good.

• Like 1

3k ocean swim yesterday and an easy 90 mins on the bike.

Today was a 4hour turbo (back to back Mamma Mias) and then a 40 minute Z2 run which was at 5:05 pace today which is an indication that things are in a great reasonable place.

Edit to check my hubris!!

Edited by monkie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could not sleep last night at all  (which is quite worrying) so hit 90 golf balls on the range this arvo after spending a couple of hours cleaning the garage.

Haircut today so look quite streamline for Port.

FM 

Edited by Flanman
  • Thanks 1

MTB bike at Maydena near Horbart

total ride 3h15min,  31km,  205m assent, 4200m decending

was 5 shuttle runs. The 205m of assent was all on the first run, when we went down a trail that had to climb out off. Next 4 runs had zero climbing.

My upper body and arms feel like they have been hit hard. 

That was some fantastic trails,

Will be back for another dose on Monday, then to Derby

• Like 2

23 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

I’m assuming that red line was the swim course ? How come they put so many turns in it .. instead of just doing a nice loop around 😂😂

Should have turned up mate you would have snagged a trophy for sure, my time was good enough for 2nd in the old men’s category. First podium in about 10 years and I bugged out early and missed presentations :sadwalk:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

An easy hour on the MTB at Sawtell, scouting out a route for the muppets to ride tomorrow......if they are not too hungover.

Scratch that.  I may be the one with the hangover issues 😆

• Haha 2

2km in the dam this morning. Still just chugging along, but happy to be increasing the distance. :)

ps: Anyone in Brisbane wanting an OWS, it's still lovely & warm.

• Like 1

I swam around shark island this morning.

beautiful morning in the water in Sydney. 

Swapped off the front with IM legend Glenn Gorrick 

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

ps: Anyone in Brisbane wanting an OWS, it's still lovely & warm.

A friend advises me this is true. If you wear a wetsuit.

• Haha 1

Maydena MTB park day 2

5098m vertical descending, upper body and thighs hurting, and 126m vertical ascending, yes that is all