prizna

What training did you do today...

5 hours ago, monkie said:

6 hour turbo. Very pleased it's out the way. Grim.

Consisted of: 4 x episodes of Man Down, TOP GUN (which was an INSPIRED choice), a Jeremy Kyle and the end of Les Mis.

You really are going next level mate. 👍

20km trail race called The General today. I did it last year and went 1:52:40 and the course measured 20.3kms.

Today I went 1:46:27 but the slightly altered course measured 19.4kms, so not sure if I was faster or not, just about I think?

Also managed to go ass over head in the woods with 2kms to go. Cut and bashed my right leg a bit and did some damage to my left  fingers and wrist.  On the plus side, managed to keep my watch out of harm's way. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I came 6th overall at a triathlon today.  Perfect conditions. I have a run question, but for another thread....

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, FatPom said:

20km trail race called The General today. I did it last year and went 1:52:40 and the course measured 20.3kms.

Today I went 1:46:27 but the slightly altered course measured 19.4kms, so not sure if I was faster or not, just about I think?

Also managed to go ass over head in the woods with 2kms to go. Cut and bashed my right leg a bit and did some damage to my left  fingers and wrist.  On the plus side, managed to keep my watch out of harm's way. :lol:

Nice run.  The trail run fall is an inevitability especially towards the end when the legs are tired - those small insignificant pebbles/twigs become boulders and tree trunks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter said:

I came 6th overall at a triathlon today.  Perfect conditions. I have a run question, but for another thread....

Lovely stuff!

I did 3 hours Z2 and did not enjoy hours 2 or 3 backing up off a long bike yesterday. But done now, compression socks on and time to fly to Islamabad. Joy.

3 hours ago, truck said:

Nice run.  The trail run fall is an inevitability especially towards the end when the legs are tired - those small insignificant pebbles/twigs become boulders and tree trunks!

Absolutely. However, I think fate had a hand in this one, because about 50mtrs earlier I was thinking how much my trail technique had improved and how watching all those skill sessions on YT had paid off. :blush:  :whistling:

• Haha 2

Did a 5k ocean swim today at Balmoral. 

Couldnt really seem to get going or hold the rate I’ve been training at, then about 3k in cramps started. Never had any cramps in training at all. 

Almost pulled the pin but managed to finish it off. Slower than I was hoping for but it seemed to measure at 5.25 - 5.3km for most I talked to. 

squeezed  in under 1.30 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, roxii said:

Did a 5k ocean swim today at Balmoral

Where abouts did you swim? 

(That's my home ground)

Did the Luke Harrop tri today.  Swim rate for the swim was 1.50 which in a negligible current is pretty good for me, 34.9kmh average on the bike - previous fastest on this course, 32.5kmh average and today was with a weird additional 400m turning loop which slowed things down, and a 4.55min/k average run which is a 10 sec improvement on previous bests here.  So who says getting old slows you down 😂😂. Managed to avoid the drug testers so maybe I need to go faster 😄.  Last triathlon race for me for the season and best result.  Also scored a very fancy white box which TA deem appropriate for a national championship 🤷‍♀️🤔.  Now I have a week to get ready for the tour de Brisbane.  Hmm, sprint distance training for a grand fondo, now that is going to be interesting....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7k run - managed a 6:40min/k pace with a couple of road crossings - being Bennalong Dr in Wentworth Point (takes forever to cross).

90k on the bike yesterday, some bloody honest hills :o

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Turts said:

Where abouts did you swim? 

(That's my home ground)

Just around the bay 

B613388E-7090-467B-8F06-160883E97E8A.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, roxii said:

Just around the bay 

Is that a Garmin issue, or do you swim that crooked? 

My 735 comes out very smooth compared to that.

image.png.8dc3850249f4dae89a6c0800018a479a.png

Yeah I’m not sure. 

I did take a few sharp detours to jump on the faster girls feet coming through but pretty sure I didn’t swim like that. 

If I do more swims next year I’ll probably get something smaller and lighter than the Fenix for it. 

3hrs8min run on mix of pavement and trail.  28.5km but this wasn't about pace, it was purely an exercise in running on tired legs.

There was definitely walking involved on the steep bits!

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Just around the bay 

The top third is where I saw all the sharks I ever saw sailing around there. 

I'm too much of a fraidy cat to go out that far. 

Good job tho. Was that with a group from the beach club? 

9 hours ago, Peter said:

You still doing the enticer event after all these years?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I had a farewell for someone on Friday evening. As such, I made a decision to drive.... I drove to the train station  in the morning, had a few beers that night then got a lift home. Then,  Saturday morning was a nice lumpy 14 km run back to pick up the car. In  fog, along interesting roads with  a few hills. 

The run you MUST do if you want your cart back.

FM

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flanman said:

I had a farewell for someone on Friday evening. As such, I made a decision to drive.... I drove to the train station  in the morning, had a few beers that night then got a lift home. Then,  Saturday morning was a nice lumpy 14 km run back to pick up the car. In  fog, along interesting roads with  a few hills. 

The run you MUST do if you want your cart back.

FM

Thats a top effort mate.  If like me, you drive a POS Renault, you could have just left it there. :lol:

• Haha 1

Swam again today, so that's 3 swims 2 days apart. This one was an extra 150m, and a couple seconds/100m faster than the others, and it still felt good. I might take Wednesday off, then do 1500m on Friday. I'm loving getting back in the water, but frustrated at the gradual nature of the increases. Better that than having the shoulder flare up again though.

And a beautiful day at the dam, and not another person there at all, not even walking round the tracks.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Swam again today, so that's 3 swims 2 days apart. This one was an extra 150m, and a couple seconds/100m faster than the others, and it still felt good. I might take Wednesday off, then do 1500m on Friday. I'm loving getting back in the water, but frustrated at the gradual nature of the increases. Better that than having the shoulder flare up again though.

And a beautiful day at the dam, and not another person there at all, not even walking round the tracks.

There is something rather frightening about the fact that your shoulder has come good just in time for winter swims at the dam.  I used to suffer hyperthermia just reading about your swims last winter.  😉 I would add, that you actually gave me motivation to get out of bed in the morning by just thinking, at least I'm swimming in a heated pool. 

Edited by Cat Lady

6 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

There is something rather frightening about the fact that your shoulder has come good just in time for winter swims at the dam.  I used to suffer hyperthermia just reading about your swims last winter.  😉 

All I have to think about is that the dam at its coolest is about the same as the channel at it's warmest.

And my swim in Melbourne on the last day of July last year put everything in a new perspective. The dam is not cold. :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Limited said:

Ex, Do you use a swim buoy or anything when swimming in the dam?

No. I thought about it last year when I was doing a lot of longer stuff on my own, but never got around to it. I might get one later this year as I build up the miles again. While I see the benefit for people who aren't confident, I've been in water all my life & I know I can lay on my back & kick a hundred metres or so to get to the edge if I get in trouble. Even with a bad cramp I can do that.

If I start doing long stuff offshore down the coast I'll definitely get one.

• Thanks 1

I'm buying one just for visiblity sake. Hoping that if I get seen early enough those damn SUPers will be able to turn (or fall off in time).

Might be the only time I have a crack here...

all up today,

50 x 100m swim (broken into 5 sessions inter dispersed with runs)

50km ride (one ride)

50km run (7 runs, 5 after each swim, 2 after the ride).

so 50/50/50 and yes, it has significance 😎

Prep not ideal. No riding for months, longest run 8km, 2 swims. Stupidity really but wanted to do this for some time on the day. 

Not up for 50 beers though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Leon said:

all up today,

50km ride (one ride)

Prep not ideal. No riding for months, longest run 8km, 2 swims. Stupidity really but wanted to do this for some time on the day. 

Nice work Leon ! 

And would it be your "happy significant  birthday" by chance ? 🤔🙄

• Like 1

On 08/04/2019 at 10:51 AM, MissJess said:

I'm buying one just for visiblity sake. Hoping that if I get seen early enough those damn SUPers will be able to turn (or fall off in time).

Yeah thats my reasoning. Visibility. 

On 08/04/2019 at 10:51 AM, MissJess said:

The dam is pretty good for visibility, as you don't get much chop there. It's easy to see someone, especially from up out of the water. On top of that, there are lots of swimmers use the dam, so the craft users know to expect people. 

Saying that I still keep a good eye out when I'm swimming.

28 minutes ago, Leon said:

all up today,

50km ride (one ride)

Good onya mate. 

Big effort 

and happy birthday 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Leon said:

all up today,

50km ride (one ride)

Crikey! Impressed!

I managed 50 minutes in the hotel gym on a treadmill. Sweating through my eyeballs. I'm going to start a worldwide campaign to GET HOTELS TO PUT BLOODY FANS IN THE BLOODY GYMS.

• Like 2

A quick 1km (well, quick for what I can do now) at the dam before heading in to give plasma. There were actually 4 other swimmers out there this morning. I might have to look for a quieter spot. :)

DSC_2625.thumb.JPG.9143e0cfc86a8fb812ee5e060f749c8e.JPG

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A quick 1km (well, quick for what I can do now) at the dam before heading in to give plasma. There were actually 4 other swimmers out there this morning. I might have to look for a quieter spot. :)

DSC_2625.thumb.JPG.9143e0cfc86a8fb812ee5e060f749c8e.JPG

Feel cooler this morning?

No. The air was cooler (certainly not cold), but that just makes the water feel warmer.

I did notice the 3 people getting in as I got there (all in full length wetsuits) making these funny "bbbrrrrrrrr" sounds and groaning as they entered the water. I have no idea what that was about though. Maybe they were trying to make outboard motor sounds. :)

22 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No. The air was cooler (certainly not cold), but that just makes the water feel warmer.

I did notice the 3 people getting in as I got there (all in full length wetsuits) making these funny "bbbrrrrrrrr" sounds and groaning as they entered the water. I have no idea what that was about though. Maybe they were trying to make outboard motor sounds. :)

They're probably just soft like me. Even the heated pool is feeling cooler.

1.6km today, and another couple seconds per hundred metres faster. I did a Mona Fartlek (5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5) but didn't go all out on them. It felt good to be putting in a bit of effort again.

I felt great when I got home having done the extra distance, and then I looked at Strava & saw this from one of my mates.

image.png.33d6d2e126f1328ecaf85c20c98192a7.png

• Like 2

Road race. Got dropped in the first 1km. They were descending at 73km an hour & I don’t have the balls or the skill for that. Chased all day & got back on only to get dropped on the 1.5km gravel section. Then spent the last 30km chasing back on. Got third & was closing in on 2 second but ran out of km to get him. I could see him in the distance for the last 6km. Hard day at the office. Got my prize money & went to to the bakery 

• Like 5

I did a 2.2k ocean swim race yesterday unfortunately my ambition out weigh my abilities 

It was perfect conditions water was like a bath loved it .

but today my lats ,my back my neck and shoulders feel like I’ve been in a MMA cage 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4hr easy run, 40kms.

It was split as I’d promised to take Flipper to Jnr Park Run at Cheddar ( we are at Mums for the week).

Got up and out the door by 5.45am, ran 2hr10.  Change shirt, jump in car, drive to park run. Ran park run with Flipper, 14mins, then ran another 2km while they were getting a drink which clocked up another 11mins.

Came home, changed shoes, re-fill vest and headed out for another1hr25.

faarrrk :wallbash:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FatPom said:

4hr easy run, 40kms.

It was split as I’d promised to take Flipper to Jnr Park Run at Cheddar ( we are at Mums for the week).

Got up and out the door by 5.45am, ran 2hr10.  Change shirt, jump in car, drive to park run. Ran park run with Flipper, 14mins, then ran another 2km while they were getting a drink which clocked up another 11mins.

Came home, changed shoes, re-fill vest and headed out for another1hr25.

faarrrk :wallbash:

Well done FP, wouldve so easy to not go back out after coming home. I also love that Flipper made you promise to take her to junior park run. That is super -cute 😊

• Like 2

15 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

I did a 2.2k ocean swim race yesterday unfortunately my ambition out weigh my abilities 

It was perfect conditions water was like a bath loved it .

but today my lats ,my back my neck and shoulders feel like I’ve been in a MMA cage 😂

I did Wedding Cake Island yesterday  in horrible conditions. 

Man it was bumpy, one of the roughest swims Ive done. 

Finished 4 mins behind Spot, and he was in a wetsuit, so I'm happy with that. 

You doing Tilbury next weekend at Culburra? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, roxii said:

I did Wedding Cake Island yesterday  in horrible conditions. 

Man it was bumpy, one of the roughest swims Ive done. 

Finished 4 mins behind Spot, and he was in a wetsuit, so I'm happy with that. 

You doing Tilbury next weekend at Culburra? 

Didn’t know it was on but st the moment no ,my lower back is farrked unless I feel better come the weekend I’ll be hanging at home .

Spotty would be a good scalp haha   Even though he is 45 years past his prime a win is a win 😂

1 hour ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Spotty would be a good scalp haha   Even though he is 45 years past his prime a win is a win 😂

He’s about 45 kg’s past his prime too. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, roxii said:

He’s about 45 kg’s past his prime too. :lol:

Don't worry, I can still remember seeing Greg Fasala turn up to our squad one afternoon to have a chat to the coach. At that stage I think he owned a restaurant and had been eating too much of the stock (or maybe the staff). He must have been about 120kg.

He did about 10 x 50m reps each in about 26 - 27 seconds.

• Like 1

On 14/04/2019 at 9:43 PM, FatPom said:

4hr easy run, 40kms.

They don't go together in my vocabulary.

FM

• Haha 2

Another day starting in paradise today. 1.6km again, but 45 seconds faster than Sunday. I felt absolutely crap as I started, with no strength in my arms or shoulders, and nearly pulled the pin at 200m. I'm thinking now it's probably because of the rotator-cuff session I did last night. I swam on however & started to pick up at about 400m. I got to the turn a couple seconds faster than last time which surprised me, so I figured I'd do another Mona Fartlek back. I ended up feeling real good for that last half.

You can really notice the change in stroke rate between the easy & hard parts of the session.

image.png.717284bc081eb44b4cb46889df143bb1.png

DSC_2631.thumb.JPG.e16829c225e528ee6c922e9f4c52ff0a.JPG

• Like 1

Yoga'ing it up big time now days.  Usually going to 3 varying classes a week, will probably do 4 this week.  I'm not a gym junky, so I'm liking this stuff.  I just bent over and touched my toes (didn't bend my knees even) and I can't remember when I last did that, but it'd be 20+ years at least.  My back felt a little better on Sundays ride too; the little niggle on my lower right side didn't bother me.

Still not allowed to do anything hard, so one lazy ride a week and plenty of walking plus the yoga is it.  Should be finding time for at least one swim a week, but I'm not!

• Like 4