prizna

What training did you do today...

3 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Getting older sucks, injuries suck, not being able to do what you used to do sucks, but I guess I need to appreciate everything that I still can do.  I just wrote on another thread that one of my aims for next year is to do more training so I've come on here to get some ideas, and hopefully gain a bit of motivation.  My last run (only short) was over a week ago, I've only swum a handful of times in the last 3 months, and I've only averaged about 80k's a week on the bike all year (and most of that is made up of my 8km casual commute to work).  So there's plenty of room for improvement and hopefully I'll be able to post something I'm proud of here shortly!!

Set yourself some race goals.

4 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Getting older sucks, injuries suck, not being able to do what you used to do sucks, but I guess I need to appreciate everything that I still can do.  I just wrote on another thread that one of my aims for next year is to do more training so I've come on here to get some ideas, and hopefully gain a bit of motivation.  My last run (only short) was over a week ago, I've only swum a handful of times in the last 3 months, and I've only averaged about 80k's a week on the bike all year (and most of that is made up of my 8km casual commute to work).  So there's plenty of room for improvement and hopefully I'll be able to post something I'm proud of here shortly!!

44 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Depends what his injury is.

If it's like my knees a race goal is the worst thing you could do.

You might need an acceptance,reset and rehab goal for a year or more before setting a race goal.

I get a perverse sort of satisfaction now out of trying to find a way to prove the medical experts wrong in my case. Seeing people like FP come back from terrible injury gives me hope too.

1500m bang for buck swim set for me today at Bathurst aquatic centre. I don't know what pool chemical regime they are using but all the pools in Armidale could learn from it. Least toxic pool I ever swim in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

No secrets on my injuries...  I've had a crook hip for years which resulted in surgery for a torn labrum & bone impingement (FAI).  The surgery was successful but the hip's been pretty dodgy ever since.  Then earlier on this year I did a couple of big races and since then I've also had really crook feet.  I was originally blaming plantar fasciitis but as I haven't been able to resolve it I am now worried about it being heel spurs.

Apart from that it's just all the other usual 'aging' stuff...  Slowing down, not being able to do the times and distances I used to do.  Not recovering as well as I did when I was younger and, most recently, having a number of skin cancers (sun spots) taken out.

I have got a couple of races in mind, but they both involve a lot of work to be competitive.  I'll probably just see how the training goes and will take a risk on a late entry if I'm going ok as the events get closer.  I don't really feel like forking out a lot of money for a race entry and not getting to race it.  To be honest entering an event early would just put me under a lot of pressure that I don't really need, but having some 'hopeful' race goals to work towards might make me a bit more focussed on doing some smarter training together with the nutrition, & body maintenance that goes along with it.  Cheers, I'll pencil a few events in and we'll see what happens!

PS - After 8 days off I did the local 5km Park Run this morning in brand new shoes (Hoka Arahi's).  I've never run in these before so we'll see if they help at all.  My feet didn't feel too bad once I'd warmed up a bit, but now that I've cooled down again they are pretty tender as I walk around the house.  Fingers crossed!

9 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

PS - After 8 days off I did the local 5km Park Run this morning in brand new shoes (Hoka Arahi's).  I've never run in these before so we'll see if they help at all.  My feet didn't feel too bad once I'd warmed up a bit, but now that I've cooled down again they are pretty tender as I walk around the house.  Fingers crossed!

Get yourself some Oofos thongs to wear atound the house. Very good for plantar fasciitis or heel spur type issues. Wont cure it but comfy to walk in.

Edited by AA7

1 minute ago, AA7 said:

Get yourself some Oofos tho gs to wear atound the house. Very good for plantar fasciitis or heel spur type issues. Wont cure it but comfy to walk in.

Ok, I might give them a go.  I've had Archies (thongs) for a while and they are pretty good and I've just ordered a couple of new pairs (one with a high arch & one with an average arch) to see how they go.  Standard thongs or bare feet are a killer!!  My work boots aren't great either and they are all contributing to my troubles!

2 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Ok, I might give them a go.  I've had Archies (thongs) for a while and they are pretty good and I've just ordered a couple of new pairs (one with a high arch & one with an average arch) to see how they go.  Standard thongs or bare feet are a killer!!  My work boots aren't great either and they are all contributing to my troubles!

Oh im sure they're similar to those

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it I wonder if my lack of running over the past six months is contributing to the planter issues...  Maybe when I was running regularly it might have been keeping my feet stronger.  Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

One of my friends is having feet pain, the physio said its PF & to stay away from his Blunstones

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Makes me ponder the definition of 'successful surgery ' ?

I'd still call it pretty successful, I struggled to even walk short distances prior to the surgery.

The surgery was in 2013 and since then I've done another Ironman (not fast) and a couple of Halves, plus a couple of Tripple Tri's & Multi-Sport Challenges.  So I'm pretty happy with it, but I've got to be careful not to overdo it - I really know about it when I do!

8 minutes ago, Surfer said:

One of my friends is having feet pain, the physio said its PF & to stay away from his Blunstones

Yeah I know, and I've still got mine on after working all afternoon in the yard :shy:.

I'm my own worst enemy!!  :wallbash:

• Like 1

Duck down to the newsagents and buy yourself a beany baby.  The body is full of beans and the head is normally a firmer rubber.  Stand on it and roll the soft beans along the sole of your foot.  If you want a bit more pressure roll the foot on the head.  Amazing how it can loosen the calf muscles which sometimes can influence the PF.   I know you can get the special hard spiked rubber balls which are often recommended but the combo of soft and hard is less painful and more relaxing.  Just don’t let your kids/grandkids see you grinding tiger into the floor 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

Duck down to the newsagents and buy yourself a beany baby.

Worth a try, that sounds so silly it might just work!

3 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

Just don’t let your kids/grandkids see you grinding tiger into the floor 😄

Haha, no that might not be the best example of how we should be treating our toys! :lol:

A bit over 2km this morning. I swim backstroke for 50-70m every 400m to stretch my shoulder out the other way & it seems to help. The only issue this morning was the rain was so heavy at 5am it was stinging my face when-ever I rolled over.

First world problems, I know. Great to see the rain at last.

I thought I should probably exercise instead of eating.. so I did stage two of the tour of London zwift, oh my gosh that hurt after nothing for two weeks. Thought I’ll take it easy then race mode kicked in 🙄😳😳 214 NP.  My legs hurt😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

90 min run trying to keep my heart rate under 130... Was warm so made it 135... Even then averaged 137 for the run... And forgot sunscreen (usually run early or late). 

I did 45 minutes of a Zwift session and then sat on the floor and sobbed for another 15 mins about how exhausted I feel constantly on account of my job, sick and tired of not being able to have a life, missing out on anything resembling fun, being constantly worried about the effect anything might have on my ability to front up to my job and make it back home alive. 

I am making moves to improve the situation, but I have to be patient. I just got really, really frustrated at the situation and it overwhelmed me I suppose. I think it was because it was a reasonably challenging tempo session, but should have in no way been outside my abilities, but I just couldn't do it. I was spent, physically and emotionally.

Never is easy on the weekends too when all I see on social media is people having fun.

Just feeling sad and sorry for myself today. :(

Edited by Katz
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Katz said:

Just feeling sad and sorry for myself today

Ice cream.

You now it makes sense.

• Like 1

Housework so far - off to the pool now tho (in trisuit, cap and sunscreen - for max for SPF

Edited by trifun
  • Like 1

55 minute session on Zwift. Went much better than yesterday. Was also just a easy session though. 

• Like 3

On 15/12/2018 at 12:59 AM, ComfortablyNumb said:

If it's like my knees a race goal is the worst thing you could do.

You might need an acceptance,reset and rehab goal for a year or more before setting a race goal.

I get a perverse sort of satisfaction now out of trying to find a way to prove the medical experts wrong in my case. Seeing people like FP come back from terrible injury gives me hope too.

1500m bang for buck swim set for me today at Bathurst aquatic centre. I don't know what pool chemical regime they are using but all the pools in Armidale could learn from it. Least toxic pool I ever swim in.

Hang in there mate, it can be a really long and tough road and so hard to know whom/what to trust, as you well know.

I'm dialing back, not so much on training/activity hours but the pressure I've been putting myself under.  It's so important to take the positives from what you can do and build on that.

I've definitely feel a lot better but also aware that I'm pushing my luck.  A future of softer surfaces beckons (trails and mtb in the mix).  Don't give up mate, just be prepared to adjust your sails. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FatPom said:

Hang in there mate, it can be a really long and tough road and so hard to know whom/what to trust, as you well know.

I'm dialing back, not so much on training/activity hours but the pressure I've been putting myself under.  It's so important to take the positives from what you can do and build on that.

I've definitely feel a lot better but also aware that I'm pushing my luck.  A future of softer surfaces beckons (trails and mtb in the mix).  Don't give up mate, just be prepared to adjust your sails. :thumbsup:

Cheers Ian.  I'm at the start of another re-set attempt with the knees. 

After finally completing my first sprint tri in about 7yrs, I realised I can live without triathlon/racing, and being pain-free is more important, as is being able to ride my MTB and go fly-fishing.  I could feel the old knee symptoms starting to crank up again as I ramped up the tri training.

So I'm basically doing no formal exercise involving my legs till after Xmas, then going to very slowly build back into MTB riding, starting with easy rides around the block for a few weeks.  Running - forget it for the immediate future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Headed out with the intention of a 5k run. Ended up being a little 3k run as my legs utterly felt like I was running through quicksand. Post-IM fatigue plus work = blah.

40 minute Zwift spin last night.  Enjoyed the sprint zones that are on the course, had my own little cheer squad in my daughters cheering me on through them.  But buyer beware, they blow you up for the rest of your ride though 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Katz said:

Headed out with the intention of a 5k run. Ended up being a little 3k run as my legs utterly felt like I was running through quicksand. Post-IM fatigue plus work = blah.

Don't beat yourself up Katz.  We moved house last weekend and I hadn't done anything since Wed. Yesterday I went to the gym with intention of running 8km at lunch and it was over by 5km. Tried to redeem myself on the turbo at night and climbed off after 15 mins.

Sometimes our bodies really do telll us stuff!

• Like 2

Just now, FatPom said:

Don't beat yourself up Katz.  We moved house last weekend and I hadn't done anything since Wed. Yesterday I went to the gym with intention of running 8km at lunch and it was over by 5km. Tried to redeem myself on the turbo at night and climbed off after 15 mins.

Sometimes our bodies really do tell us stuff!

Agreed. We're not always wise enough to listen though, are we? I am trying to do that a little differently for a change.

• Like 3

5km shuffle last night.  But damn that howling sea breeze, it's hard enough getting my legs to want to work let alone running into what feels like gale force winds, even though I am sure they were nowhere near that strong :)

• Like 2

Did a 7km run last night... such a struggle but managed to keep it consistent and finish well. 

75 min going up Alpe Du Zwift this morning. Weary legs. 

• Like 1

Last 3 mornings i have been driving my son to my work so he can start at 6am (student holiday job), i have then either biked or run for an hour before heading back to start work.

I don't normally get to train in the mornings and been nice out there, although more coffee is need to get through work, i mean who would put public holidays in our busy season?.

The early starts and 12 hr days are killing the boy!

• Like 1

Swam for a km. Will zwift later.

Zwifted. 1 hour strength session. Me and Zwift really need to discuss what 'cool down' means though.......it doesn't mean HR at threshold......

Edited by Katz
  • Like 1

2km warm up / 3 x 1km (was aiming for 4:10 - did 4.01, 4.12 and 4.07) / 2km cool down.

Pretty happy as have only been back with Jill's coaching for 5 weeks!   Not bad after three months of only sporadic running  :-)

But check out the weather...........this seems to be the norm at moment.  It is so thick in the air.

Date/Time
EST

Temp
°C

App
Temp
°C

Dew
Point
°C

Rel
Hum
%

Delta-T
°C

Wind

Press
QNH
hPa

Press
MSL
hPa

Rain since
9am
mm

Dir 

Spd
km/h

Gust
km/h

Spd
kts

Gust
kts

20/06:00am

N

20/05:30am

WNW

Edited by skel
  • Like 1

I think I did about 15km walking around the shopping centres today.

At least that's what it felt like. All done for another year. Hooray.

brought up some roundish numbers this week

• 900km swim all time, 250km swim for 2018
  • 27k km bike all time, 5700km bike for 2018
  • 3500km run all time, 1000km run for 2018
  • Like 1

Did first ever FTP test on Zwift today....... thought I was going to bust a valve towards the end.

Time for some FTP building sessions now :)  But first it's beer time, too hot here.

Edited by Stuie016
  • Like 1

Over an hour in the gym today. Nothing heavy, but a lot of reps, and controlled them well. I couldn't believe how jelly my legs felt walking down the stairs at the end of it all.

Loved it.

14 hours ago, xblane said:

90 min zwift, 30 min run.

Can't stop eating 😧

I've done the same, not the first 2 parts, but definitely the third

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Christmas shopping. Shattered. Need a power nap 😴

Walking around a shopping centre makes me ten times more tired than swim ride or run!!

So on Friday I was running and felt a pain in my right calf-thought it was a cramp so pushed on (plus it was absolutely bucketing down)

Post run it was bloody sore. I'm pretty proud of myself though-iced it and have resisted the urge to train (despite spectacular weather) and thank God it's actually starting to feel better.

Fingers crossed it's was just a twinge...

All that assisde when I'm swimming I ways seem to get a cramp in my right calf towards the end of the session..weird?

19 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Over an hour in the gym today. Nothing heavy, but a lot of reps, and controlled them well. I couldn't believe how jelly my legs felt walking down the stairs at the end of it all.

Loved it.

I remember doing really hard leg sets and then trying to drive a manual home, now that was interesting!! Having your whole leg cramp pushing the clutch in (and unable to release) at the lights was a nightmare lol

22 hours ago, Stuie016 said:

Did first ever FTP test on Zwift today....... thought I was going to bust a valve towards the end.

Time for some FTP building sessions now :)  But first it's beer time, too hot here.

Have U tried the FTP on Traineroad! I find the test on Zwift easier (but still gut bustingly hard) compared to TR for some reason.

On TR the resistance just keeps increasing and I flake out, whereas on Zwift I can go harder longer though at a lesser wattage if that makes sense 

1 hour ago, more said:

I remember doing really hard leg sets and then trying to drive a manual home, now that was interesting!! Having your whole leg cramp pushing the clutch in (and unable to release) at the lights was a nightmare lol

A few years back when I was riding, I did a 180km ride, with the last 50km flat & TTing. I averaged 35km/h for that last 50km. As I pulled into the yard my wife was just coming outside & said "Glad you're home. We're just about to go up to Underwater World at Maroochydore. You can drive."

90 minutes sitting in the car driving was just what I DIDN'T need after that session. I don't think I've ever felt as bad after a training ride.