prizna

What training did you do today...

Park Run. First one in months and the first 'dig deep' run session since IM.  21.08, fcuk me dead it hurt:surrender:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was meant to be doing a long run but I had some beers last night for the first time in three weeks and as a result felt far too wobbly after the first 20 minutes. Shifted it to tomorrow and will head to the pool later.

Just ran from town beach to the bottom of North brother mountain.   Then walked up to the lookout via the track.  I'm Fkd 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Just ran from town beach to the bottom of North brother mountain.   Then walked up to the lookout via the track.  I'm Fkd 

Me to. I probably ran less than you though 😂

Same final result 😴

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Just ran from town beach to the bottom of North brother mountain.  

but doesn't the race finish at the top? :D

Frickin epic, both  of youse.

2 hours ago, Shuffla said:

Me to. I probably ran less than you though 😂

Same final result 😴

That hill is not meant to be run up.  Or walked up.  Let along after 40km.

2 hours ago, Tyno said:

but doesn't the race finish at the top? :D

Frickin epic, both  of youse.

I thought the last 5k at Boston hurt.  Today was next level.

I go uphill alright. But I’m sure you hit the first 40km harder than me. 

Congrats on 4th place. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shuffla said:

I go uphill alright. But I’m sure you hit the first 40km harder than me. 

Congrats on 4th place. 

Good work mate it was a tough day for everyone out there today I think.

• Like 1

Did my first ride outdoors for ages today and had a normalised power of 232 Watts. Previously my FTP was 220. I haven’t done a FTP test for a few months.

Does this mean my FTP has actually increased (and yes....I plan on doing another test this week sometime) My ride time was just under 2 hours

• Like 1

120km bunch ride with coffee. 1400mtrs elevation, just the right mix of hard and comfortable.

• Like 2

2550m swim plus 4k run to and fast walk from the pool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, more said:

Did my first ride outdoors for ages today and had a normalised power of 232 Watts. Previously my FTP was 220. I haven’t done a FTP test for a few months.

Does this mean my FTP has actually increased (and yes....I plan on doing another test this week sometime) My ride time was just under 2 hours

If you were using the same power meter to test as on the ride then yes. Your FTP is the maximum output you can achieve for an hour. So if it is measured and set correctly (ignoring measurement error etc) then it should be impossible for you to average > FTP for any more than an hour. Given that you smashed that figure (i.e. above FTP for double what should be possible) I would say that either you massively undertested last time, over-recorded on the ride or have had an impressive couple of months of training :)

90 mins on the turbo this morning for me followed by 31km last long run before LCW. Two hours in Z2 and then 40mins aiming for 4:10s but getting stuck at 4:11.

58 minutes ago, monkie said:

If you were using the same power meter to test as on the ride then yes. Your FTP is the maximum output you can achieve for an hour. So if it is measured and set correctly (ignoring measurement error etc) then it should be impossible for you to average > FTP for any more than an hour. Given that you smashed that figure (i.e. above FTP for double what should be possible) I would say that either you massively undertested last time, over-recorded on the ride or have had an impressive couple of months of training :)

90 mins on the turbo this morning for me followed by 31km last long run before LCW. Two hours in Z2 and then 40mins aiming for 4:10s but getting stuck at 4:11.

Hmmmmm not sure. My FTP tests have all been on the kickr but the outdoor ride was measured on my Assiomas.

The outdoor ride did have some have decent hills that saw my power get up to 650 watts which would have dragged up the NP.

I have been training consistently hard though so fingers crossed I have had a good increase.

Will do a FTP on TrainerRoad tomorrow morn and see what happens 🤔

3 minutes ago, more said:

Hmmmmm not sure. My FTP tests have all been on the kickr but the outdoor ride was measured on my Assiomas.

The outdoor ride did have some have decent hills that saw my power get up to 650 watts which would have dragged up the NP.

I have been training consistently hard though so fingers crossed I have had a good increase.

Will do a FTP on TrainerRoad tomorrow morn and see what happens 🤔

A comparison between the Kickr and the Assiomas won't be a fair one (although my Assiomas under read compared to my Vortex). Do an FTP on TR and see what it says and for future comparisons it might be handy to have a couple of sessions with the PM pedals on the turbo bike. Record turbo power in TR and pedal power through Connect or similar and see what differences you are getting.

Report back, I'm just getting properly into this stuff and find it fascinating. :D

Edited by monkie

7 minutes ago, monkie said:

A comparison between the Kickr and the Assiomas won't be a fair one (although my Assiomas under read compared to my Vortex). Do an FTP on TR and see what it says and for future comparisons it might be handy to have a couple of sessions with the PM pedals on the turbo bike. Record turbo power in TR and pedal power through Connect or similar and see what differences you are getting.

Report back, I'm just getting properly into this stuff and find it fascinating. :D

Hmmm great idea! Will do!!

2 x 40km bike rides over the long weekend.

First time the thing has seem daylight in 2 years since my last crash and cracking my elbow.

Edited by Ayto
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, more said:

Hmmm great idea! Will do!!

Why don't you use the assiomas to drive power on the kickr? Then you're ftp test and outdoor rides will be measuring off the same levels

14 minutes ago, pieman said:

Why don't you use the assiomas to drive power on the kickr? Then you're ftp test and outdoor rides will be measuring off the same levels

I’m not sure how I would go about doing this but sounds like a good idea. Will get googling..

12 hours ago, monkie said:

This is what you want: https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/204631294-PowerMatch-Using-Power-Meters-with-Smart-Trainers

I would still do a comparison for retrospective purposes...

Great, thanks for the link! I didn't see it in time though and did the test this morning-according to TR it is now 237 which is a nice increase but still only 2.8 watts per kg...but meh getting there slowly. I will start using the Assiamos as suggested though  :thumbsup:

Gotta love a public holiday... Had a smash up the hill on Innsbruck and then a 3km swim

Easy 60min on the bike this morning

My FTP indoors/KickR v outdoors (PowerTap pedals) is 50 watts less. Yes I have fans, yes I just don’t want enough - but training has been spot on since accepting the differences. Is it just me or is so much harder training in Erg mode on smart trainer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bosco said:

My FTP indoors/KickR v outdoors (PowerTap pedals) is 50 watts less. Yes I have fans, yes I just don’t want enough - but training has been spot on since accepting the differences. Is it just me or is so much harder training in Erg mode on smart trainer. 

I think it'll always be a better figure on the road - that's what I've found 😎 not sure if it's physical or psychological but the power figures come easier on the road - but I like the road and just tolerate the trainer 😏

• Like 1

@Alex Simmons would be good to get your thoughts here...

From my (limited) experience the RPE of an indoor steady state at X watts is considerably harder than hitting the same NP figure outside with hills and coasting...

13 minutes ago, monkie said:

@Alex Simmons would be good to get your thoughts here...

From my (limited) experience the RPE of an indoor steady state at X watts is considerably harder than hitting the same NP figure outside with hills and coasting...

You're spot on Monkie. Also you spin a little diffrrently on the trainer compared to the road. 

40 minutes at the gym, then a couple hours later a lower back assessment at the physio.

Appears my lower 3 or 4 vertebrae don't move much at all, and everything is coming from the lower middle back and above. I had a sneaking suspicion that may have been the case. I've now got stretches & exercises for the various "broken bits" of my body that can just about fill my day.

70k ride.

The first 35k was lovely, the second which was mostly into a gusty headwind was not quite so much fun.

ETA: It took 23 minutes longer to get home! :surprise:

Edited by Katz
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Katz said:

70k ride.

The first 35k was lovely, the second which was mostly into a gusty headwind was not quite so much fun.

ETA: It took 23 minutes longer to get home! :surprise:

More opportunities for selfies on the way back?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pieman said:

More opportunities for selfies on the way back?

If only. 

Because Ironman is 73.7% mental.  I went & spoke with Rocky. 

Fun fact: they do a rocky marathon every year in Philly. It’s actually 50km long to get all the scenes of the movie in.

7F8FBC79-1A3D-49C7-A421-EEA2E2826AE3.jpeg

DE5BCAC2-588E-4B71-84C1-87D355E2C81F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

105 - 121% of FTP Intervals on the turbo before work 🤮

3.3km swim this arvo followed by pub quiz for the mental part of the training.

• Like 2

30 minutes at the gym this morning. It was a nice feeling to start out with a bit of DOMS and have it loosen out during the session. 

It's been a while.

• Like 3

Rode round bits of Adelaide. 

Flat bits and hilly bits. 

Got a compliment on my "fit looking legs" from some cyclists on expensive bikes. 

Noted how awesome and patient and polite Adelaide car drivers were compared to Perth drivers. 

@Bored@workI rode up to my Dad's place via Old Belair Rd.... LOL FARK it was steep compared to the stuff I have been riding for the past few years 🤣🤣🤣👍 had to stop for a breather I was going to puke.

Solid ride. Good vibes. 

• Like 3

Lovely 3.4KM swim this morning was meant to be running this evening but it's about to hammer it down with rain. To be fair, I've been sat at home for an hour looking out the window thinking "It's about to hammer it down with rain". I could have been out and done by now but I haven't which I think means I don't want to so meh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Rode round bits of Adelaide. 

Flat bits and hilly bits. 

Got a compliment on my "fit looking legs" from some cyclists on expensive bikes. 

Noted how awesome and patient and polite Adelaide car drivers were compared to Perth drivers. 

@Bored@workI rode up to my Dad's place via Old Belair Rd.... LOL FARK it was steep compared to the stuff I have been riding for the past few years 🤣🤣🤣👍 had to stop for a breather I was going to puke.

Solid ride. Good vibes. 

Radelaide is awesome for riding. Check out Norton Summit if u get a chance

7 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Tiger Summit to locals isn't it..?

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I've managed a run and a ride and its not even 9am. 

Book your Hawaii accommodation now bro 😎🤘

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Love to. 

Definitely next time. With a different cassette.... LOL 

I was sitting on 40rpm for 7min! LOL 

1 minute ago, dazmuzza said:

5K run this morning in zone....what zone is below zone 1? :)

Dog walking

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

5K run this morning in zone....what zone is below zone 1? :)

A very important zone. 

But most poo poo it 😏😏

• Like 1