prizna

What training did you do today...

3 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Getting older sucks, injuries suck, not being able to do what you used to do sucks, but I guess I need to appreciate everything that I still can do.  I just wrote on another thread that one of my aims for next year is to do more training so I've come on here to get some ideas, and hopefully gain a bit of motivation.  My last run (only short) was over a week ago, I've only swum a handful of times in the last 3 months, and I've only averaged about 80k's a week on the bike all year (and most of that is made up of my 8km casual commute to work).  So there's plenty of room for improvement and hopefully I'll be able to post something I'm proud of here shortly!!

Set yourself some race goals.

4 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Getting older sucks, injuries suck, not being able to do what you used to do sucks, but I guess I need to appreciate everything that I still can do.  I just wrote on another thread that one of my aims for next year is to do more training so I've come on here to get some ideas, and hopefully gain a bit of motivation.  My last run (only short) was over a week ago, I've only swum a handful of times in the last 3 months, and I've only averaged about 80k's a week on the bike all year (and most of that is made up of my 8km casual commute to work).  So there's plenty of room for improvement and hopefully I'll be able to post something I'm proud of here shortly!!

44 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Depends what his injury is.

If it's like my knees a race goal is the worst thing you could do.

You might need an acceptance,reset and rehab goal for a year or more before setting a race goal.

I get a perverse sort of satisfaction now out of trying to find a way to prove the medical experts wrong in my case. Seeing people like FP come back from terrible injury gives me hope too.

1500m bang for buck swim set for me today at Bathurst aquatic centre. I don't know what pool chemical regime they are using but all the pools in Armidale could learn from it. Least toxic pool I ever swim in.

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Depends what his injury is.

No secrets on my injuries...  I've had a crook hip for years which resulted in surgery for a torn labrum & bone impingement (FAI).  The surgery was successful but the hip's been pretty dodgy ever since.  Then earlier on this year I did a couple of big races and since then I've also had really crook feet.  I was originally blaming plantar fasciitis but as I haven't been able to resolve it I am now worried about it being heel spurs.

Apart from that it's just all the other usual 'aging' stuff...  Slowing down, not being able to do the times and distances I used to do.  Not recovering as well as I did when I was younger and, most recently, having a number of skin cancers (sun spots) taken out.

I have got a couple of races in mind, but they both involve a lot of work to be competitive.  I'll probably just see how the training goes and will take a risk on a late entry if I'm going ok as the events get closer.  I don't really feel like forking out a lot of money for a race entry and not getting to race it.  To be honest entering an event early would just put me under a lot of pressure that I don't really need, but having some 'hopeful' race goals to work towards might make me a bit more focussed on doing some smarter training together with the nutrition, & body maintenance that goes along with it.  Cheers, I'll pencil a few events in and we'll see what happens!

PS - After 8 days off I did the local 5km Park Run this morning in brand new shoes (Hoka Arahi's).  I've never run in these before so we'll see if they help at all.  My feet didn't feel too bad once I'd warmed up a bit, but now that I've cooled down again they are pretty tender as I walk around the house.  Fingers crossed!

9 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

PS - After 8 days off I did the local 5km Park Run this morning in brand new shoes (Hoka Arahi's).  I've never run in these before so we'll see if they help at all.  My feet didn't feel too bad once I'd warmed up a bit, but now that I've cooled down again they are pretty tender as I walk around the house.  Fingers crossed!

Get yourself some Oofos thongs to wear atound the house. Very good for plantar fasciitis or heel spur type issues. Wont cure it but comfy to walk in.

Edited by AA7

1 minute ago, AA7 said:

Get yourself some Oofos tho gs to wear atound the house. Very good for plantar fasciitis or heel spur type issues. Wont cure it but comfy to walk in.

Ok, I might give them a go.  I've had Archies (thongs) for a while and they are pretty good and I've just ordered a couple of new pairs (one with a high arch & one with an average arch) to see how they go.  Standard thongs or bare feet are a killer!!  My work boots aren't great either and they are all contributing to my troubles!

2 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Ok, I might give them a go.  I've had Archies (thongs) for a while and they are pretty good and I've just ordered a couple of new pairs (one with a high arch & one with an average arch) to see how they go.  Standard thongs or bare feet are a killer!!  My work boots aren't great either and they are all contributing to my troubles!

Oh im sure they're similar to those

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it I wonder if my lack of running over the past six months is contributing to the planter issues...  Maybe when I was running regularly it might have been keeping my feet stronger.  Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

The surgery was successful but the hip's been pretty dodgy ever since. 

Makes me ponder the definition of 'successful surgery ' ?

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

One of my friends is having feet pain, the physio said its PF & to stay away from his Blunstones

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Makes me ponder the definition of 'successful surgery ' ?

I'd still call it pretty successful, I struggled to even walk short distances prior to the surgery.

The surgery was in 2013 and since then I've done another Ironman (not fast) and a couple of Halves, plus a couple of Tripple Tri's & Multi-Sport Challenges.  So I'm pretty happy with it, but I've got to be careful not to overdo it - I really know about it when I do!

8 minutes ago, Surfer said:

One of my friends is having feet pain, the physio said its PF & to stay away from his Blunstones

Yeah I know, and I've still got mine on after working all afternoon in the yard :shy:.

I'm my own worst enemy!!  :wallbash:

• Like 1

Duck down to the newsagents and buy yourself a beany baby.  The body is full of beans and the head is normally a firmer rubber.  Stand on it and roll the soft beans along the sole of your foot.  If you want a bit more pressure roll the foot on the head.  Amazing how it can loosen the calf muscles which sometimes can influence the PF.   I know you can get the special hard spiked rubber balls which are often recommended but the combo of soft and hard is less painful and more relaxing.  Just don’t let your kids/grandkids see you grinding tiger into the floor 😄

• Like 1