Cranky

920xt elevation stuff up

Possible that the altimeter has become blocked/clogged. Try cleaning the watch (immersing) especially the altimeter's hole between the front buttons. Otherwise blowing air at it seemed to work with mine last night. 

Otherwise it could be a software issue and a reset maybe be needed, soft or hard.

Edited by Waza

This happened with my 910 and I was regularly running at 20km  elevation.. it is a 'known issue' but mine was unable to be fixed (didnt bother sending back as didnt want to be offered a replacement/refurb)

I just go into garmin/strava afterwards and click 'correct elevation' and all is usually good..

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=i3SgY6gOKH6SfGFMUlHIy9&searchType=noProduct

• Thanks 1

Does it really matter?  This is a serious question.  Not being the gadget hater in this case

Edited by Fitness Buddy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Does it really matter?  This is a serious question.  Not being the gadget hater in this case

Not one iota... the only time id be interested is if I was cycling in mountainous terrain, seeing how high i had gone after the fact...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Yeah same. 

Just want to see the climbing* that I've done. 

*or embarrassing lack thereof 😂✌️

Actually Cranky, this isn't the first time. I remember one of your swim posts showed some pretty massive altitude gains.

3 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Does it really matter? 

If someone's asking about it, then it matters to them. Thats all you need to know.

4 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Maybe the assumption could be that if that metric is playing up then it could be a sign that other metrics may not be correct.

3 minutes ago, roxii said:

Maybe the assumption could be that if that metric is playing up then it could be a sign that other metrics may not be correct.

Ah, now you've gone and done it! Cranky's completely freaked out now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turts said:

If someone's asking about it, then it matters to them. Thats all you need to know.

Maybe less stress not worrying about and concentrating on the key elements of the sessions.  

Pretty sure no coaches say to you need to climb x amount of metres today.  Time climbing more important? 

39 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Maybe less stress not worrying about and concentrating on the key elements of the sessions.  

Pretty sure no coaches say to you need to climb x amount of metres today.  Time climbing more important? 

Agree with FB here.. someone is asking about it but it is only Cranky so that's no justification.. 😁

Possibly the only more meaningless field on watch would be temperature..

• Haha 2

Cranky just gets so in the zone on the treadmill, she doesn't notice it levitating.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Yeah... 

Meaning theoretically you are still not 40!?

31 minutes ago, pieman said:

Agree with FB here.. someone is asking about it but it is only Cranky so that's no justification.. 😁

Possibly the only more meaningless field on watch would be temperature..

Need to know the temperature. So I know what emojis to use for my Instagram post about my session #blessed #unicorn_magic 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is a very common and known fault of the 920xt. Garmin replaced mine even though it was way out of warranty. Call Garmin support 

3 hours ago, Turts said:

2 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Like i said.

It matters to Cranky.

Not you.

And unknown about her coach.

Leave your perceptions to you and your clients. 

24 minutes ago, Turts said:

Like i said.

It matters to Cranky.

Not you.

And unknown about her coach.

Leave your perceptions to you and your clients. 

Once again FB has made fair points or asked good questions but you seem to be so focused on taking the opposite view to anything he says you've missed them..

Cranky: how do you use elevation (either looking at it during a workout or afterwards) in your training? (Has this ever been a key focus on any of your training sessions? )

Cheers

• Like 1

It's a well known issue with the 920. If you can't clear it then call Garmin and they'll replace free of charge. 

As to whether it matters I would say yes for three reasons!

So you can track Skydives

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1567572683#

2. rTSS in TrainingPeaks uses elevation data.

3. It MAKES MY BRAIN BUZZ WHEN THE NUMBERS ARE WRONG.

Edited by monkie

8 minutes ago, pieman said:

Once again FB has made fair points or asked good questions but you seem to be so focused on taking the opposite view to anything he says you've missed them..

Not at all. But just don't k its FB (or anyones) place to question a posters motivation.

Thats all. 

If I took the time, as an experienced triathlete who is experienced being coached, to post a question I'd b looking for a helpful answer. Not a question as to my movation. 

That's all. 

2 minutes ago, Turts said:

Not at all. But just don't k its FB (or anyones) place to question a posters motivation.

Thats all. 

If I took the time, as an experienced triathlete who is experienced being coached, to post a question I'd b looking for a helpful answer. Not a question as to my movation. 

That's all. 

Am I questioning motivation?

Pretty sure I am just letting her know it is pretty irrelevant and don't stress over it.  That's advice just like the others have said.  Just because mine didn't actually involve fixing the situation from a gadget perspective.  Mine was aimed at fixing the stress associated with and the head space it has created.  Obviously if she posted it she is stressing over it.

• Like 2

Some people are just data nuts, and having that field messed up in their spreadsheet may cause them more stress than not having done the session at all. 

People are different, thats what make the world a great place. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Fitness Buddy said:

Am I questioning motivation?

Pretty sure I am just letting her know it is pretty irrelevant and don't stress over it.  That's advice just like the others have said.  Just because mine didn't actually involve fixing the situation from a gadget perspective.  Mine was aimed at fixing the stress associated with and the head space it has created.  Obviously if she posted it she is stressing over it.

Nah all good. The first two replies addressed how to fix her issue from gadget perspective so she could stop reading there.. im keen to hear her answers to my questions about how she uses it though (or her coaches although im pretty sure she's self coached right now..) 

So while we're on this, my 735XT shoes a 15m altitude change when swimming on the dam. Is this an issue (for me, not the suckers who are going to be swamped by the tsunami further down the creek.:))