MissJess

Beginner rider - Alloy or carbon?

We're working with a limited budget here - and it seems a very limited market when it comes to the 52cm or small size frames. Currently the +1 is using my Specialized Tarmac - I kind of need it back soon as I want to do some bunch rides and TTs are not welcome.

He's only starting out, I'm thinking we can get away with an alloy for a year or two? (I've been spoiled)

I think my expensive tastes (Specialized and Hoka One One) might be rubbing off on him...

Edited by MissJess
  • Like 1

Seriously, as a beginner, all carbon does is make you feel good. Alloy is fine for a first bike if you can't find a cheap carbon bike 2nd hand.

FWIW, when I ride, I ride steel. :)

• Like 1

Alloy. Won't notice the difference.

500gms difference.

Edited by zed

If it’s alloy just make sure he gets some good tyres. Will make the ride a bit nicer. Don’t want to put him off with a harsh ride. 

6 minutes ago, roxii said:

If it’s alloy just make sure he gets some good tyres. Will make the ride a bit nicer. Don’t want to put him off with a harsh ride. 

Really? I found carbon a worse ride than steel, which I assume would be similar to alloy (I haven't ridden alloy for what seems like ever). It's so noisy as every noise echos & is magnified in the carbon tubes.

If you think you are going to upgrade in a year or two anyways, just go carbon now.

Only go aluminium if you are not sure cycling will be a long term thing and therefore don't want to commit the money now.

I'm selling a small Litespeed L3 road bike. It is carbon though! 

Not sure what your budget is, but we're looking at $1,000. Let me know if you're interested and I can send through the links to tri-market place.

17 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Really? I found carbon a worse ride than steel, which I assume would be similar to alloy (I haven't ridden alloy for what seems like ever). It's so noisy as every noise echos & is magnified in the carbon tubes.

You must have been riding one of those early Scott foils. 

Carbon can be engineered to be stiff enough to rattle your fillings out or with lots of compliance like the Specialized Roubaix model. That's the beauty of carbon it provides all kinds of options for frame design and shape that are much harder to achieve with metals.

1 hour ago, MissJess said:

@TimG Yeah $1k or less. Drop me a message and I'll have a look.

I had of these in London for a bit. Not a bad bike. Same as their top flite machine with different carbon.