Flanman

Magpies

How time flies when your having fun. It only seemed a few months ago we were on this subject.

I have noticed that this year however, there is a delay. No hits from the maggies yet but I have seen a few starting to build nests. It won't be long now.

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Haha 1

GO EAGLES! 

GREAT WIN ON THE WEEKEND! 

Buckley is scratching his head now.... 

• Haha 1

After multiple vicious attacks last Spring I'm thinking of a new tactic this year. Gonna tie a bowl of chopped meat to the top of my helmet hopefully that'll keep them happy. 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, A2K said:

After multiple vicious attacks last Spring I'm thinking of a new tactic this year. Gonna tie a bowl of chopped meat to the top of my helmet hopefully that'll keep them happy. 

I wouldn't try that.

Have you ever been knocked off your bike by a Golden retriever?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I wouldn't try that.

I have. 

Nearly.... 

Ran up for a pat and I wasn't ready. Nearly dropped the Postie bike 

22 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I wouldn't try that.

hmm see this is why I come to Trannies first. Back to the drawing board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think BogFrog may dispute that there is a delay

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flanman said:

How time flies when your having fun. It only seemed a few months ago we were on this subject.

I have noticed that this year however, there is a delay. No hits from the maggies yet but I have seen a few starting to build nests. It won't be long now.

FM

No delay! Was swooped 3 times by a giant f^cker on Sat

• Sad 1

I don't need to hear that.  Why did I open this thread. 

If it's not jellys & eels, it's  magipes! 😖😞

Edited by Cranky

4 hours ago, Cranky said:

I don't need to hear that.  Why did I open this thread. 

If it's not jellys & eels, it's  magipes! 😖😞

Under your house?

• Haha 2

Yup, getting alerts from Magpie alert again :( 

I'll stay on the trainer and away from the M7 again, which then just ended up in me doing laps of Castlereagh Rd as I just ended up never going to the M7. I need to find a new route come summer anyway as I have moved.

I just picked up a new bike and REALLY dont want to be restricted to the trainer...

Dont bloody maggies know you cant ride a bike up a tree? We are not a threat!!

• Haha 1

I've made friends with this family on my round. Had to deal with an angry one before on a different round and it was horrible. Even in a motorbike helmet. 

20180716_143234.jpg

• Like 1

One went me last week on the MTB.  Told the stupid f*cker "it's July, which is winter!  WTF are you doing".  He didn't care, just kept doing stall dives at me & calling me a @#$%^& in screeching magpie lingo.

Two dogs chased me on the same ride.

Took up MTB cos I thought it would be safer than riding on the road :huh:

• Haha 4

I hear they're flocking to the MCG this Saturday where they will summarily slaughtered by some big cats

• Confused 1

Ive got a three in my yard, probably parents and junior, who I have become quite good friends with over the last 6 - 8 months.  Be interesting to see if our friendship continues over the next couple of months.  Maybe they could have a word to a few of the others on my coast run who aren't so friendly to me. 

I know it's July, but my wife took a pic of a red belly black snake last week on the same trail. He was a bit sleepy, but still in the road.

Can be a bit of a weird place at times, there was four cows on the beach at the end of my run last week.

Edited by lawman
  • Confused 2

Found a great hill for some reps on my bike, it was raining so couldnt be worse .. wrong. 2 magpies attacking as Im at the steepest part. Trying not to fall off while waving my arms like a lunatic. Only one way down, no alternative road, so armed myself with a big stick to scare em off. The driver in the car behind me thought it was hilarious 😐

• Like 1

Sunnygirl posted a video and photos on fb on the weekend of her casually riding along while getting attacked! I'd be screaming!

9 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Sunnygirl posted a video and photos on fb on the weekend of her casually riding along while getting attacked! I'd be screaming!

Head down & just keep riding. The one that used to get everyone at Kelvin Grove used to bomb me every morning & afternoon, but never reacted more than straighten the glasses and tuck the head down. I used to cringe at all the others madly swerving out in to peak hour traffic reacting to him.

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Head down & just keep riding. The one that used to get everyone at Kelvin Grove used to bomb me every morning & afternoon, but never reacted more than straighten the glasses and tuck the head down. I used to cringe at all the others madly swerving out in to peak hour traffic reacting to him.

I need to find one out there and just do laps back and forth until I overcome my fear. 

Like that's gonna happen. 😂

Anyone want to coach me? Not doing it solo! I need Sunnygirl to move to the northside!

Edited by Cranky

1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yep. While I dont enjoy getting swooped, it doesnt really bother me that much. As you say, just tuck my head down and keep riding on.

The two on Windsor Road in Rouse Hill this year you can "just ride through", because they don't seem to be making any contact (maybe they haven't got a taste for blood yet).

The one that was there a few years ago though was an expert at nipping your ear - good luck riding through that with traffic going 80km/h right next to you.

This one is after an afternoon coffee. Seems a little too comfortable 

8C1CCFAE-E41F-4246-AC67-488E7FDCD2D0.jpeg

1 hour ago, xblane said:

This one is after an afternoon coffee. Seems a little too comfortable 

8C1CCFAE-E41F-4246-AC67-488E7FDCD2D0.jpeg

obviously not enough cyclists in his area so he's sussing out where the cyclists hang out to ensure richer pickings (so to speak)

• Haha 2

We were getting some pre-emptive strikes and fly bys over the weekend. Guess the grounds keepers and the council will be around soon to relocate them. Can't have the maggies swooping all locals the Japanese golfing tourists hitting up on the nearby course. Only benefit to living here during the swooping season.

The most active one in my loop has been going for about a month.  Repeated (but gentle) head strikes going up the hill. 

On the way home going faster, comes in for one big thud, claws and beak out, and gets me below the back of my helmet. Draws blood everytime. 

• Sad 1

Just wait till you get these fella's dive bombing you.  I've never actually been hit, but they like to come reeeeeeal close. This nest is in my backyard, so I'll have a bit of fun for the next few weeks.

DSC_2285.thumb.JPG.68df011b9368e5ebd536ea79f3c128fe.JPG

On 27/08/2018 at 8:42 PM, Turts said:

The most active one in my loop has been going for about a month.  Repeated (but gentle) head strikes going up the hill. 

On the way home going faster, comes in for one big thud, claws and beak out, and gets me below the back of my helmet. Draws blood everytime. 

Alternative route?!

I had an incident with a magpie the other day. I came home and walked up 3 flights of stairs to my apartment on the top floor. And standing outside my door is a magpie. I thought fcuk they know where I live 😋 So then it flew to the window on the side which was only partially open and he was FREAKING OUT! Not so tough now I thought to myself. Anyway despite all the attacks over the years I reached over and opened the window and he flew off. Hopefully to tell all his magpie mates to leave me alone in future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Just wait till you get these fella's dive bombing you.  I've never actually been hit, but they like to come reeeeeeal close. This nest is in my backyard, so I'll have a bit of fun for the next few weeks.

DSC_2285.thumb.JPG.68df011b9368e5ebd536ea79f3c128fe.JPG

Plava's have the cutest chicks. Ball of feathers with legs.  Very high mortality rate due to cats, cars and snakes. This pair are breeding very late in the season.

I had a first the other week. One flew out of nowhere behind me. Swooped and took my glasses of my face. Only flew another 30-40 meters before dropping them. Clearly wasn’t a Rudy fan. 

• Haha 2

Plover, plover, plover, you don't swoop down on me no more.  Sonia Dada.

• Haha 2

Been swooped about 5 or 6 times this spring. Only one has been a magpie. Mickey birds and honeyeaters are in on the act now too on my ride to work. They just get really close and snap their beaks near your ears.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Cranky said:

Alternative route?!

Yah found an alternative after the smashing. 

He has now....... been dealt with. I know nothing else. 

43 minutes ago, Rocket Salad said:

Plava's have the cutest chicks. Ball of feathers with legs.  Very high mortality rate due to cats, cars and snakes. This pair are breeding very late in the season.

They already raised 4 out of 4 next door, very early in the season. We've both got dogs, so no cats in the yards. Next doors were scared of the birds, and mine thinks it's great fun to chase them, but she's a good girl and doesn't chase the chicks.

I took that photo from on the ride-on. They don't attack when I'm on it, so I can get close & do a tight circle around them so at least most of the lawn gets cut.

• Like 2

On 28/10/2018 at 8:59 PM, Rocket Salad said:

DSC_2307.thumb.JPG.12ba298f8bf72f93a507e9ca2e90ea0f.JPG

Hatched this morning. Three at that stage. May be 4 by now, but I'm not risking it without the car again. :)

• Like 2