Sign in to follow this  
BC_J400

Electric bikes

I'm crossing to the dark side and I've decided I need an electric bike, mainly for commuting.

Does anyone know much about these, namely removing the 25kmh "governor?"

As far as I can tell, they *generally* come with Bosch, Shimano or Boefang motors, with the mid-drive models being the longer lasting better quality option with the rear wheel drive not ideal in comparison.

Battery life appears to be fine for what I need.

I've got a Giant TCR advanced now and whilst I'm a competent and experienced rider, I simply can't ride to work more than 2 times a week, or 3 at best due to the distance which is 25kms each way into the city.  Yeah yeah, I know it's not that far, but to ride in and be at work for 9-10 hours and to ride home is simply too much for me.

My dilemma is though, that on the Giant, I average 27kmh or thereabouts, with speeds of up to 40+kmh on the Gardiners creek trail and a mix of roads.

Therein lies the problem... these electrics are limited to 25 kmh for "legal reasons" and the problem is that they are so darn heavy, some 23 kg's or similar, that to go faster than the 25 takes a hell of an effort.

The electric is affordable, around $1,800 is the best I've seen for a hybrid model in a quality frame which makes it well and truly economically viable.

I don't need 50kmh, I pretty much need 30kmh roughly.  

I can't see why they are limiting them when you can buy cars that can do 300kmh and I could be using this bike on private property for all they know.

What are my options here... does anyone have any suggestions that I haven't thought of, or do any of you know how to "upgrade" these motors through the software?

I'll ask the guy at my work who has a home-made electric 'bike'. He goes at 60kmh.

That would be interesting!  I'm brave, but I draw the line these days in the low 50's, unless it's got a 250cc engine :-)

I'm suspecting that there are plenty of home-made ones out there and whilst I'm not adverse to the idea of it, I reckon it might be easier to get a factory job, but good to hear what he says as it may be the same motor and controller.

21 minutes ago, BC_J400 said:

That would be interesting!  I'm brave, but I draw the line these days in the low 50's, unless it's got a 250cc engine 🙂

Awe cute, 250cc :P 😚

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, willie said:

Awe cute, 250cc :P 😚

He meant a 250cc motor shoe-horned in a Trek. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

the electrics governor only determines the max speed the motor will propel you to, you can pedal or free wheel as fast as you like :)

I took the plunge for a commuter and purchased a mountain bike, good brand, Bosch motor, hydraulic disc brakes,  I never thought I'd buy a mountain bike, but it's really great!  No stress of running off the edge of the bike path.  Performance is amazing, with battery life around 40 kms.  

Best $3k I've ever spent.  It will pay for itself very quickly as it was costing me near $50 a day in Melbourne to drive in, park and citylink.  I've never been able to ride more than a few days a week as it's 25 kms each way and it's simply too much to ride and work all day, however in my first week I rode 5 times in a row.  My ride time is down from 58 minutes to 40.

• Like 1