FatPom

Tenby!! It's that time again

9 hours ago, FatPom said:

Bike is done. Jeeezuus why do I keep coming back here! This effing course is savage. it kicks you to kingdom come if it's cold and raining and does the same thing when it's hot and windy. I truly never want to see it again:wallbash:

This is run as a sportive but I never draft intentionally because it's usually an IM prep. I really dug in on this one. I was in wave 2 which was medium fast. We didn't start until 8:45 and the sun was already hot and very windy.

Did my usual trick of forgetting to start my watch. Think I started it within 5 mins. Never looked at it all

ride. Absolutely stocked to see 6:36 on watch at the finish.

Shattered !

Good work mate! Now just a little trot tomorrow :D

Should be in Bolton - for IM UK - they are only doing 95m on the bike - not 112

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, monkie said:

Good work mate! Now just a little trot tomorrow :D

Yeah cheers mate. In town now having coffee before the off:)

2 hours ago, symo said:

Should be in Bolton - for IM UK - they are only doing 95m on the bike - not 112

I have a mate there today. He's pretty fast.  Is the swim on?

I think the question was more "is the swim happening" and I believe it did but with showers on every lap to wash the algae off and wetsuit compulsory.

Christnever again, seriously !

So, you are definitely doing IM Wales again I take it 😂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Christnever again, seriously !

So, you are definitely doing IM Wales again I take it 😂 

I can't see it in my immediate future. I achieved more than I could hope for at LCW and I'm taking that as my A race. For the money and pain involved in IM Wales, I'm just not sure what the point would be.

My Brain is scrambled but this course makes you really think twice about returning.

I think I might go for Weymouth HiM instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I can't see it in my immediate future. I achieved more than I could hope for at LCW and I'm taking that as my A race. For the money and pain involved in IM Wales, I'm just not sure what the point would be.

My Brain is scrambled but this course makes you really think twice about returning.

I think I might go for Weymouth HiM instead.

Maybe reassess tomorrow, 😂 

Sub 13hrs @ IM Wales ... you know you want too ...

3 hours ago, xblane said:

Great job FP!

How'd the calf hold up?

Cheers mate. Calf held up ok thankfully but of course overall pace was low. I couldn't have ran faster anyway but got the impression I would have pushing my luck.

4 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Maybe reassess tomorrow, 😂 

Sub 13hrs @ IM Wales ... you know you want too ...

Hehe for the first time ever, Mrs FP said she really hoped I was done with IM now. She said to do something that was more fun. 

Which is quite the statement as she was the one encouraging me to do it in the first place!

Also, had better look at results last night. My bike time was good for 91/606.  I think I might look at TT events. Not sure yet.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

Congratulations Ian. A great result both mentally and physically. Coming back from a problem swim plus a dodgy calf makes the result even better. Take the pats on the back, beer in the gob and enjoy. Very proud.

You have also ignited a junior in Flipper as well. Be prepared !

FM

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FatPom said:

Hehe for the first time ever, Mrs FP said she really hoped I was done with IM now. She said to do something that was more fun. 

Which is quite the statement as she was the one encouraging me to do it in the first place!

Also, had better look at results last night. My bike time was good for 91/606.  I think I might look at TT events. Not sure yet.

Think of all that training ‘in the bank’ (assuming calf issue has resolved. It’s all ‘spit and polish’ from now to IM Wales and then the que can be retired to the rack without any niggling regrets. You seem to be in fine form with a goodly base ...

10 hours ago, Flanman said:

Congratulations Ian. A great result both mentally and physically. Coming back from a problem swim plus a dodgy calf makes the result even better. Take the pats on the back, beer in the gob and enjoy. Very proud.

You have also ignited a junior in Flipper as well. Be prepared !

FM

Cheers Mick. Yeah Flipper is ready to beat her old man soon haha

7 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Think of all that training ‘in the bank’ (assuming calf issue has resolved. It’s all ‘spit and polish’ from now to IM Wales and then the que can be retired to the rack without any niggling regrets. You seem to be in fine form with a goodly base ...

Hmm. Got a 5 HR drive to let some thoughts settle but right now, I can't away from the place fast enough!

6 hours ago, Surfer said:

How's your calf FP? 

Ok thanks. There was no fast efforts yesterday which helped. If anything, my right calf is feeling it this morning. I will see how they settle down.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, FatPom said:

Marathon done.  It was so hot and hilly. I was praying for the pain to stop and was definitely getting emotional in the last 3km but worked my nuts off and managed 4:26.

Christ, never again, seriously !

ETA: results are in. I came 176/606 overall. Improvement of over 200 places compared to last year.

Hey Mate, top effort.... well done. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

OK, just found out my 200 place improvement could be a bit false. Quite a few folks had an hour added to their time because they started ahead of their allotted bike wave. the fastest were off at 9.15-9.45, I was 8.45-9.15 and was told not to go earlier, a warning i heeded.  Others didn't as they wanted to get going and deal with less heat/riders/traffic and I get that but they were punished.

Which means my 91/601 on the bike isn't genuinely accurate.

Overall though, compared to last my time differences were:

Swim - same

Bike- 43 mins faster

Run - 51 mins faster

So I must've improved a fair bit, hopefully :whistling:

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

OK, just found out my 200 place improvement could be a bit false. Quite a few folks had an hour added to their time because they started ahead of their allotted bike wave. the fastest were off at 9.15-9.45, I was 8.45-9.15 and was told not to go earlier, a warning i heeded.  Others didn't as they wanted to get going and deal with less heat/riders/traffic and I get that but they were punished.

Which means my 91/601 on the bike isn't genuinely accurate.

Overall though, compared to last my time differences were:

Swim - same

Bike- 43 mins faster

Run - 51 mins faster

So I must've improved a fair bit, hopefully :whistling:

Mate that's superb on the run especially with a special calf. Well done!

• Like 1

Yeah, improved a bit might be an understatement FP. Jolly well done, old man.

💂‍♀️

• Like 1

From above

Hmm. Got a 5 HR drive to let some thoughts settle but right now, I can't away from the place fast enough!

What about something like Ironman Barcelona then?

However, on reflection with those improvements I reckon IM Wales is the go ... ;)

21 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

From above

What about something like Ironman Barcelona then?

However, on reflection with those improvements I reckon IM Wales is the go ... ;)

The problem is between now and Sept, the place could not be more different (based on last year), the sea is much colder and the weather is just so unpredictable. On the other hand.......:whistling:

I think a lot will be decided on the direction of our house completion, which has become 'complicated'!  We'll see.

Pics are up, if you're interested. i definitely need more salt on the bike!

https://www.finisherpix.com/gallery/photos/en/GBP/2538/502

Edited by FatPom

Well done FP , I am planning to come over to do Wales Ironman Next Year 2019 , Interested to see if you have a bike/Run course profile I could look at . Any Inside Info of next years date would be handy .