A2K

50 Ironmans in 50 days Ashley Horner

15 hours ago, dazaau said:

From the coach apparently, from Facebook.

It was hyponatremia. The blood work confirmed it. we did the first loop of the bike and she couldn't keep down any fluids- we got the back to the transition area and I mandated that she get a medical consult.  

This was my fault, she was apparently having palatability issues with the drinks she normally takes in and had asked volunteers to water it down all day, which means she was only getting in half the electrolytes that she was supposed to. Squarely on my shoulders, the buck stops here and I should have been on top of it. 

Her sodium level was at 124 and ck at 859, indicating that an extended period of being unable to hydrate at all was resulting and borderline rhabdo. 

She still wants to continue tomorrow. As I take confidentiality with my athletes seriously, I'm not necessarily at liberty to discuss what my personal perspective was, but I hope folks can figure it out.  

I'll keep you guys posted. Those who have expressed concern and support, thank you. When I told her that some triathletes were supporting her now, she lit up, so it means a lot.

Which triathlete is supporting her? 

13 hours ago, Turts said:

We're all just different colours in a box of fruit loops. 

Yep. We're definitely all fruit loops.

Now, I've probably been on of the kindest to her with my comments, but now this isn't about a fund raiser!  It's about appearing as a hero, and this isn't what hero's are about!  Now that reality has hit, she doesn't need to do this to raise money, she can find another way anyway.  But the fact she's insisting on it tells me she's now on a hero complex.

Hero's don't ask or beg to be a hero.  They just are, and generally don't know it or accept it themselves.

• Like 1

Far out. Talk about a hero complex all right. 

20180819_074503.jpg

20180819_074519.jpg

20180819_074531.jpg

20180819_074549.jpg

Edited by Turts

Can't read it. On the trainer and I'm in enough mental and physical pain as it is. I don't need this extra torture!

Well at least 50/50/50 is now being redefined as a "journey". I'm sure she'll find a way to finish that. I hope the journey is much more sensible.

Can't you people just BELIEVE?

She can still finish this 50/50/50. She just needs to add 3km to the ride each day, and 900m to the run. There's only 48 contiguous states, so she's already made allowances that will enable her to do that.

Maybe she finds a river with a good current and gets 8km done one morning in the time and effort normally taken to do 3.8km. She has an extra 2hr sleep-in the next day. She gets out & does a ride with an awesome tailwind and knocks out 300km. She gets toward the end of her run & finds no-one is around, so can hand the Fenix to a friend to log an extra 30km. 

She's not a quitter. She'll find a way.  :)

• Haha 2

Surely it may be easier just to redefine what is a “day”

a venus day is 243 earth days, so if she is going by the Venus calendar she is actually well up in schedule. 

#believe

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, roxii said:

Surely it may be easier just to redefine what is a “day”

a venus day is 243 earth days, so if she is going by the Venus calendar she is actually well up in schedule. 

#believe

Too much time on that ski in the sun 😂😂😂👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, A2K said:

She qualified for Boston?

No.

She said she qualified for Boston. She did run the age standard, but didn't beat it by enough to actually qualify.

Of course that didn't stop the claims, cause "I nearly qualified for Boston" wouldn't sound as good.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No.

She said she qualified for Boston. She did run the age standard, but didn't beat it by enough to actually qualify.

Of course that didn't stop the claims, cause "I nearly qualified for Boston" wouldn't sound as good.

Surely not!

Screenshot_20180819-104432_Instagram.jpg

Hey Customer. Are you heading to the States in the near future?

AH landed two QOMs on her ride this morning. Hoping you could go & knock them off please, although I'm sure twits will send someone out shortly to get rid of them. :)

• Like 1

Because you've had a hard morning of training and now you're relaxing in the sun with your feet up and it's entertaining. 

IMO this chick is A-grade selfish. Her name should be 'Me-Me Horner'

About The Kids eh?  What about your own kids  Me-Me.....? ☹

• Like 2

280 mile run? Yeah nah. Boston qualifier....nope! 230 mile run around Haiti not ****in likely. She's claimed some massive swim too I think. This woman is a pathological liar. Once this current business is over I pledge to not pay her any more attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

I didn't know she had kids

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

IMO this chick is A-grade selfish. Her name should be 'Me-Me Horner'

I don't think we should be telling her how to bring up her own kids.  Hey

9 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

I don't think we should be telling her how to bring up her own kids.  Hey

I think the point Surfer was making wasn't about how she was bringing them up, but the fact that if we believe half of what she is telling us on Insta, she is close to killing herself. Then how will she look after her kids?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I think the point Surfer was making wasn't about how she was bringing them up, but the fact that if we believe half of what she is telling us on Insta, she is close to killing herself. Then how will she look after her kids?

Yeah I get that.  Bit like telling a mum to get off her while driving with kids in the back?  She might kill herself, her kids and someone else.  

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Hey Customer. Are you heading to the States in the near future?

AH landed two QOMs on her ride this morning. Hoping you could go & knock them off please, although I'm sure twits will send someone out shortly to get rid of them. :)

I've already taken a screen shot of all of her QOMS (just in case she blocks me in the future) and will make it my mission in life to take down her QOMS!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Some dude @cfmonk is going all keyboard warrior on her and he's only done  half as many IM as she's ever done.. the cheek

16 minutes ago, pieman said:

Some dude @cfmonk is going all keyboard warrior on her and he's only done  half as many IM as she's ever done.. the cheek

What a wanker ;)

• Haha 2

she reckons she made her first million before she was 30. So much is wrong with this whole masquerade. Just like the charlatan, Anthony Robbins, she has the gullible throwing money at her. A very manipulative individual.

Screenshot_20180819-133050.png

I hope no-one here is actually following her?

And which one of you is Hotfiremanwife?

hotfiremanwife Yes! The message and example you set for your boys and for many many others is one of selfless humility and love! To live like Jesus!

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/08/2018 at 3:53 PM, dazaau said:

From the coach apparently, from Facebook.

It was hyponatremia. The blood work confirmed it. we did the first loop of the bike and she couldn't keep down any fluids- we got the back to the transition area and I mandated that she get a medical consult.  

This was my fault, she was apparently having palatability issues with the drinks she normally takes in and had asked volunteers to water it down all day, which means she was only getting in half the electrolytes that she was supposed to. Squarely on my shoulders, the buck stops here and I should have been on top of it. 

Her sodium level was at 124 and ck at 859, indicating that an extended period of being unable to hydrate at all was resulting and borderline rhabdo. 

She still wants to continue tomorrow. As I take confidentiality with my athletes seriously, I'm not necessarily at liberty to discuss what my personal perspective was, but I hope folks can figure it out.  

I'll keep you guys posted. Those who have expressed concern and support, thank you. When I told her that some triathletes were supporting her now, she lit up, so it means a lot.

Creatine kinase at 859? That's not extraordinary in terms of endurance racing.

In multi-day ultras, runners will have highly elevated CK levels for months.

Here's some levels from Western States 100 Miler courtesy of this article:

https://www.irunfar.com/2018/02/break-it-down-exertional-rhabdomyolysis-in-ultramarathons.html

Again, a CK greater than 366 U/L for adult men and greater than 176 U/L for adult women is considered abnormal in a resting state and a CK greater than five times the upper limit of normal is diagnostic for non-exertional rhabdomyolysis. We know, for example, from the 2010 Western States 100 that the average CK blood level immediately post-race was 32,965 U/L and ranged from 1,500 to 264,300 U/L. No cases of acute kidney injury were reported from that year.

Admittedlty, Western States is a net downhill course with some very long sustained descents which contribute to blowing out CK levels, but it does indicate if you're appropriately trained and experienced, extreme CK levels are rarely a problem.

Latest Update:

This is the hardest thing for me to say because without a doubt my fitness is 100% there- no aches and no pains this far. But Friday when I started vomiting, not able to hold down liquids or food I went to the ER and they also did another blood panel, which flagged that I had Rhabdo.

So she figured at the 110 mile mark the next day she'd respect her coaches wishes (from 8 hours earlier) and rest up for a couple days and then 

Alex told me to take two days off and more blood work is being ordered... so I’ll be here with my doctors getting evaluated and once I’m cleared we’ll hit the ground running again- #WomanOfIron 

The train wreck is just on hold at the station. I wonder whether it will scream back at again, or try to deflect the story somewhere else and drift away from this. At least we know now it wasn't her fitness that stopped her completing 50 in 50 in 50. :)

And then again, one day, we may look back at her instagram to find out she did in fact complete 50/50/50. It's a pity her Garmin was flat.

Pretty long post on PTG from the (ex) coach, Alex, going into the training she did. Among other things. 

I like the start where he lists the other atletic endeavours she had done, but starts it with " I was informed that she did a.......".

As in,  she said she had

1 minute ago, Turts said:

Pretty long post on PTG from the (ex) coach, Alex, going into the training she did. Among other things. 

I like the start where he lists the other atletic endeavours she had done, but starts it with " I was informed that she did a.......".

As in,  she said she had

PTG?

14 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Closed group Turts. Any chance you could copy the post?

Here 'tis!

With the hopeful indulgence of the moderators, I actually wanted to put up a bit of a background/informational post to answer some of the questions about a certain lady’s training for her ambitious multi-day event, which I wont mention by name since I think this group has been inundated with threads on this. From a professional perspective, certainly some of the back and forth would make it seem like portions of this plan were half-assed. While I can’t speak to the portions outside of my control, I at least wanted to convey that there was some rhyme and reason to her training and nutrition.

I know there's been plenty of monday morning quarterbacking going on, which as a fan of the sport, I COMPLETELY understand and support, so this might give a bit more to pick apart.

If any triathletes are interested, here we go:

Q: What was the athlete’s background? What on earth would make this seem achievable?

A: When this athlete approached me, her triathlon background was light, but her endurance and durability were still remarkable. I was informed that she did a 200+ mile multi-day ultra in Haiti with minimal training, the GC rim 2 rim 2 rim with nearly ZERO training, and a marathon swim event with minimal swim training. She’d also done multi-day bike rides (century + each day), and had remarkable recovery. She also had a Boston qualifying time, so her run fitness was at least up to par. The durability and recovery, and level of achievement here with nearly zero specific training caught my eye, and as her friend who’d referred her to me (Kris Gethin, who we trained for an Ironman last year), vouched for her tenacity and fitness, we proceeded forward to see what we could do.

Q: Was this CrossFit based training?

A: Heck no. This was almost pure s/b/r daily- her weekly TSS was close to double what I’d normally have a full distance program during segments, as we tried to push her to be in the pool an hour a day, on the bike (even the trainer) for 4-6 hours, and running at LEAST 6-8 miles (up to 15+) almost every day for massive chunks of her training cycle. This training was unconventional in many ways- as speed/performance in a race was never a goal, and as she had PLENTY of power and quickness, there was very little utility to be found in LT/VO2 or other high intensity work. About 92% of her training was zone 2, all focused on moderating power output (bike output at 55% of FTP, walk/run) and movement efficiency. We spent more time than usual even focused on her walking, knowing that she’d be spending a lot of time walking during this thing- so weighted vest/incline walks and even some sled drags were incorporated just to get her used to slogging up even slight inclines (VA beach is pancake flat, but that wouldn’t be the case every day). Strength training was still a component, of course, but only about 45 minutes a day. Again- she was swimming, biking, and running a LOT- there were chunks of training where she was effectively doing a 70.3+ daily on top of strength training with little trouble.

Q: Was her diet keto? What was all this fasted training nonsense?

A: No, it wasn’t pure keto. Portions of it were. If you’re curious about the type of nutrition program she was on, it was similar to the carbohydrate periodization done by Dr. Morton over at Team Sky. We’d also consulted with Zach Bitter and a few other fat-focused ultra endurance athletes and coaches to get a better sense of best practices. Carbohydrates used strategically to fuel training, with the body focused on fat for fuel during large chunks of it. If anybody wants to read a good summary of some of the theoretical framework, including the frequent fasted training sessions, please go here: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40279-018-0867-7

Q: Was her nutrition plan and hydration plan tested AT ALL before this thing?

A: Yes, extensively, for months. Her fasted morning training was typically followed by a large, calorie dense meal immediately before her second long training session, and she experienced nearly zero GI issues during even her longest (9+ hour) training days in the heat. These meals were designed by a nutrition consultant, and were meant to maximize calories and minimize bulk and GI stress. Nutrition on the bike and run were always moderate carb and moderate fat, which allowed for high caloric density and fewer blood sugar swings. She also followed this plan during her 1400 mile bike ride from VA Beach to Oklahoma 8 weeks ago, and experienced ZERO issues with bonking or GI upset. (Century a day in 100+ degree heat index) Her hydration protocol was fairly specific- nearly isotonic hydration drinks administered around 720-750ml/hour (near maximum uptake for a woman her size), general ORT ratios with sodium levels increasing as sweat rate increased and the day got hotter (as sweat rate increases, sodium excretion increases- the rate of excretion of other electrolytes does not increase proportionately as much, making sodium specifically more important). Her nutrition consultant was cooking the same meals she was eating during training to ensure she was properly fueled.

Q: What went wrong on the third day?

A: Chances are, something went wrong before we’d even started. We knew this plan was going to require some good luck. Coming back from Haiti, apparently both the athlete and one of her sons had moderate GI upset, either from local water or food. Normally, no big deal, these things pass in a day or two. This did, however, already put her a bit behind on her food and hydration- lower GI issues tend to compromise sodium reabsorption, among other things. On day 1, things seemed to be going well, but appetite was WAY down. On day 2, trying to compensate, calorically, caused mild GI upset (and she was not eating her prepared meals), and some miscommunications led to overly dilute solutions being administered for hydration. I want to clarify here- we had a nutrition consultant along who was monitoring intake, but anybody who’s ever crewed for an athlete knows that what the athlete wants isn’t always what they need. VERY well meaning volunteers took the athlete’s request to dilute her drinks (for palatability reasons) to heart, without anybody else’s knowledge- and this went on for more than half the second day in 94 degree heat. Low sodium levels led to mild AMS and vomiting during the run, and recovery overnight was limited by massive GI upset stemming from that- so she woke up dehydrated already, and with a touchy stomach. The best plan in the world means nothing if some of those in charge of implementation do not completely understand it. This is where I do take full responsibility. It was not the job of the nutrition consultant to physically sample every drink after the instruction had been given, and I should have communicated the importance of this to everyone a bit better, including EVERY volunteer. I want to be clear, I blame NOBODY else here- as her coach and de facto coordinator, I’m owning this, because quite frankly nobody else should.

Q: What did you think your chances of overall success were when this started? Did you all really think this would be easy?

A: I had absolutely no idea- my plan was to get her to the level of physical shape that she could complete 5 in a row- beyond this, if she made it through 5, each successive one would be a combination of good luck (avoiding injury and GI issues) and determination (getting used to the monotony and mental exhaustion). I think she was there, frankly- whether or not folks want to “count” Haiti, she still did a 1.9 mile swim, a 112 mile bike on a damn Huffy, and a 26.2 mile run in a third world country, and three days later performed two back to back. Could she have completed 5 if she hadn’t had medical issues? Quite likely, and that would have been a solid accomplishment. Would she have gotten 6, or 7, or 8 at that point? Perhaps! Perhaps not. There are zero guarantees in endurance sport. NOBODY thought this would be easy. The goal was to try something epic and challenging and see what we could do, with the goal of raising money for a cause that was very near and dear to the athlete.

Q: Why did you turn down help? Why did the plan seem like such a mess?

A: We didn’t. We consulted with a huge number of coaches, especially from the worlds of ultra running and cycling, as well as numerous dieticians, physicians, and sports psychologists. On the logistics side, there were numerous personnel issues that set us back. I won’t speak to that, since it’s not my place, but suffice it to say, a very small number of very hard working people were working very, very hard on a very limited timeline to pull the pieces together- pieces that should have been together months prior.

Q: Can I say something mean?
A: Sure! That's what I'm here for. 1f642.png:)

• Thanks 1

And the one from Ashley Horner.  So diagnosed with Rhabdo, but went out and did it again the next day against al advice. Clever. 

Dear family,

When I wanted to do this big endeavor of 50 full distance triathlons as a way to raise money for the beautiful children in Haiti, I knew there would be many surprises along the journey. And that’s what I love most about challenges like these, the unexpected arise and you MUST have adversity to get through them. Apart of this journey was also having a coach who believed in me and my capabilities- with that being said I promised @alex.viada that when the time came he would be able to make the decision for me to quit if at any point I became at risk.

This is the hardest thing for me to say because without a doubt my fitness is 100% there- no aches and no pains this far. But Friday when I started vomiting, not able to hold down liquids or food I went to the ER and they also did another blood panel, which flagged that I had Rhabdo. I got an IV, more food and fluids and woke up the next morning feeling great. Getting out of the water after a 2.4 mile swim Alex met me in the lobby and we sat down and talked for a while. He told me in order to move forward and with with careful consideration and consulting with doctors they advised me to take a few days- Get additional testing and cleared before I continue on. I told him I was fine and I felt fine, because well.. I did. So i got on my bike and finished the 112 miles ... but coming in yesterday with 15 miles left- and again still feeling fine. I began to have a heavy heart... every single day I had listened to Alex, did EXACTLY what he told me to do- why wouldn’t I listen to him here, if I’ve entrusted in him all this time, why would i stop now? He knows my drive, my will to not quit and how well my fitness has developed to at an unstoppable level. And Maybe it was my pride- maybe it was because the thought of not being able to complete something perfectly as planned seemed heartbreaking- so this morning I woke up- I’m back on my turf. Alex told me to take two days off and more blood work is being ordered... so I’ll be here with my doctors getting evaluated and once I’m cleared we’ll hit the ground running again- #WomanOfIron I’m sure Alex can fill you in on anything else.

So an endurance athlete who can step up to almost anything on no training?  

• Like 1

No aches and pains at all after 2 and a half back to back Ironmans. Right....

IC could barely walk after his first two lol.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2018 at 11:00 PM, dazaau said:

Well at least 50/50/50 is now being redefined as a "journey". I'm sure she'll find a way to finish that. I hope the journey is much more sensible.

The same "journey" BS again .... I absolutely hate that term used in that way!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pieman said:

Corky just referred to as triathlons version of ashley horner on slowtwitch... bit harsh

She is nothing like Ashley   

She has actually done an Ironman. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter said:

She is nothing like Ashley   

She has actually done an Ironman. 

I doubt she rode a huffy though

18 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

So is this fiasco of a stunt still going or are we just in a hiatus for a few days.

I think she's dead. She hasn't posted a selfie for 23 hours.

• Haha 2

• ashley.hornerU P D A T E: 
    Home. I didn’t expect to be here this morning, or even the next week or the months following. How can you feel lost in a place that is so familiar? I had the opportunity to catch up with ESPN yesterday, ‘one last question’, they said .... “But what happens if you DO fail?” Well... I thought for a moment- I have two goals here.. one is to finish the triathlons and the other is to raise $100,000 for @maisonfortune - so you tell me, Do I fail if I don’t reach my fund raising goal? Or do I fail if I don’t complete the full distance triathlons? I believe this answer solely depends on who you ask. I could complete all 50, and not reach my fundraising goal- did I fail? Some would say yes and others would say no. I could hit my fundraising goals but only complete a portion of the triathlons... did I fail? Again, some would say yes and others would say no. I’m off to go get my blood work done this morning and consult with my doctors- I will let everyone know our plan of attack moving forward. Perseverance. Back at the starting line, a place we’ve all been before.  #WomanOfIron -
    LINK IN BIO TO DONATE to MFO and the children. 🇭🇹❤️