Jump to content
A2K

50 Ironmans in 50 days Ashley Horner

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Finally get to see how much endurance cred she has.

Do you really think we will?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Is she off for real or is this another pretend start? Plus, I might sound pedantic, but in a real Ironman, there are no drink stops during the swim.

This isn't Ironman.

If she is approximating any legitimate race it is one of ultra triathlon formats.

So taking sustenance on the swim (or completing the distance in longer than 17 hours) is permissible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this 50/50 has really given this forum a great discussion to get us through the end of winter. Let see what she can do, I don’t care if it’s a 25m pool, if she drafts a bit or is slightly short, if it is fair dinkum I am going to enjoy seeing what happens over the coming days and weeks and if she really does it, then we’ll done. I just wish they had set start locations and we had some experiences informed ironman athletes on site to verify its her doing the full thing. Garmin / strava etc can all be fudged, it’s good to have all of it but evidence from impartial witness is key with the data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Do you really think we will?

I'm pretty confident we will.

With the amount of scrutiny and interest she has attracted, we should definitely see what she is capable of.

Where her capabilities lie on on a scale from impressive to disappointing is a very different question.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The last couple seconds as the audio cuts out, she is saying what sounds like "we changed our start location". That one will go down well with any on twits that were going to be at the publicised location to ride with her.

I have spoken to ironman about next years Race at Port (Ironman Australia). I have told them the swim and Run are OK, but I will be doing a different Bike course to everyone else. Will let them know the course on the day.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth pointing out she has already raised $100k+ for children’s charities and is looking to raise another $100k for an orphanage in Haiti from this challenge 

Edited by Mike Del

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Worth pointing out she has already raised $100k+ for children’s charities and is looking to raise another $100k for an orphanage in Haiti from this challenge 

Can't fault her with that... Kudo's

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Worth pointing out she has already raised $100k+ for children’s charities and is looking to raise another $100k for an orphanage in Haiti from this challenge 

Yes, her 323km of swimming in just 30 days last November raised just shy of $6500.

https://www.mightycause.com/story/Gr9f8f

https://wtkr.com/2017/11/08/local-athlete-takes-on-201-mile-swim-24-hour-wod-all-for-charity/

I have no doubts about her ability to raise funds or to the unfortunate plight of Haitian orphans, however....:shy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The last couple seconds as the audio cuts out, she is saying what sounds like "we changed our start location". That one will go down well with any on twits that were going to be at the publicised location to ride with her.

Not a soul at her bike start, or in any of her footage up to mile 56 of the bike. 

 

Screenshot_20180816-053908_Instagram.jpg

Edited by Turts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Turts said:

Not a soul at her bike start, or in any of her footage up to mile 56 of the bike. 

 

Screenshot_20180816-053908_Instagram.jpg

And that in her home town. They must all love her there to show such support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And that in her home town. They must all love her there to show such support.

They probably drove to the planned start, saw how many triathletes were there to "support" her, and kept driving to a new seekrit start location. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First half of the bike completed in 3hr 6min, according to her video. That was 5hr 51min after she started. Add the 1:24 swim, and you have 1:21 of breaks not being accounted for in the time. I've got no issue with her taking breaks, however to claim a 12hr IM, I always figured that meant from start to finish.

If her coach did the 180km, then I'm impressed. I don't think he'll make the run though.

image.png.51ea7baf45aeeef0e2a67ee5bda9012c.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

1:24 swim time claimed, although 2 hours after the start she's still eating, and yet to mount the bike. Gotta love a long T1.

In yet another brilliant piece of organisational brilliance, her coach, who is going to ride with her is currently getting his bike fixed. :)

Time doesn’t matter. 

Distance does. 

Sad no one showed up at the start. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Peter said:

Sad no one showed up at the start

I wonder how many did show up only to find her a no-show.

I didn't see any posts from disappointed twichers, which surprised me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If her coach did the 180km, then I'm impressed. I don't think he'll make the run though.

 

He certainly has a triathlete/runner build ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Peter said:

Time doesn’t matter. 

Distance does. 

Sad no one showed up at the start. 

Yep , to be honest, especially with her followers being a bit naive, you could make it a lot easier for yourself.

I mean drafting in the swim in Ironman is allowed, so sit on a better swimmers toes for 3.8k.

Choose a soft (even downhill with prevailing tailwind) course and ensure you have a "camera vehicle" documenting the whole event or "safety escort"  vehicle sitting very close in front.  Soft pedal for 180k and stay fresh for the run.  Yep you may cop some flack from the Ironman crew but to your followers you will still be doing the distance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strava comments are harsh. But fair. Files don't add up at all. Would live to run a marathon where I'm 180bpm at 10k then drop below 120 last 5k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only problem with long breaks is that you are losing sleep. Something that you will regret later on. Better to just get it done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dazaau said:

The only problem with long breaks is that you are losing sleep. Something that you will regret later on. Better to just get it done.

One of the trips between venues in the latter part of the 50 days is a 9 hour drive. That's going to make it difficult to get through with 15-16 hr times. Maybe that's where she needs to put in 1 or 2 of the extra ones she's planning to get the 50?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

One of the trips between venues in the latter part of the 50 days is a 9 hour drive. That's going to make it difficult to get through with 15-16 hr times. Maybe that's where she needs to put in 1 or 2 of the extra ones she's planning to get the 50?

No need to worry she won't even come close to getting there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

First half of the bike completed in 3hr 6min, according to her video. That was 5hr 51min after she started. Add the 1:24 swim, and you have 1:21 of breaks not being accounted for in the time. I've got no issue with her taking breaks, however to claim a 12hr IM, I always figured that meant from start to finish.

If her coach did the 180km, then I'm impressed. I don't think he'll make the run though.

image.png.51ea7baf45aeeef0e2a67ee5bda9012c.png

I questioned him on INSTAGRAM and he said the breaks were included in the time. I call BULLSHIT on that one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, dazaau said:

The only problem with long breaks is that you are losing sleep. Something that you will regret later on. Better to just get it done.

I am pretty she is doing 50 Iron Distance in 50 days not 50 on consecutive days.  Thats is how I am now reading it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

I am pretty she is doing 50 Iron Distance in 50 days not 50 on consecutive days.  Thats is how I am now reading it

No it's definately consecutive days! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/08/2018 at 7:47 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So, now it will be 50 in 50. And she is confirming it will be 50 days in a row. Starting today. 

 

 

See insta post quoted in the above post. There is also a schedule now.

Edited by dazaau

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think one thing she has done is underestimate the amount of serious insects in the Tri community. :lol:   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of everything, the only thing that concerns me is that the money raised actually goes where it's suppose to!  The long and the short of it, that's all that really matters!  And how do we know it will?  Isn't the charity registered at her address?

Typically I'm the gullible person, the one who takes everyone at what they say and prefers to believe everyone is telling the truth.

Situations like the Bell Gibson one now make me question everything, and I hate feeling like that!  I just hope the charity and the reasons are genuine.  Couldn't care a hoot after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours into the run, and not a single Instagram post or story on her bio. It can't be the "slow upload" like in Haiti?

I'm starting to worry about her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, goughy said:

Regardless of everything, the only thing that concerns me is that the money raised actually goes where it's suppose to!  The long and the short of it, that's all that really matters!  And how do we know it will?  Isn't the charity registered at her address?

Typically I'm the gullible person, the one who takes everyone at what they say and prefers to believe everyone is telling the truth.

Situations like the Bell Gibson one now make me question everything, and I hate feeling like that!  I just hope the charity and the reasons are genuine.  Couldn't care a hoot after that.

So that makes Lance Armstrong awesome.  He raised millions of dollars for cancer

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.....by cheating in competition, strong arming others and maybe destroying others careers.  And making a fortune for himself along the way.

If she raises money, and genuinely gives it to charity, name me one person she is actually hurting? 

But sure, I can see how she could be compared to him ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, roxii said:

Yep , to be honest, especially with her followers being a bit naive, you could make it a lot easier for yourself.

I mean drafting in the swim in Ironman is allowed, so sit on a better swimmers toes for 3.8k.

Choose a soft (even downhill with prevailing tailwind) course and ensure you have a "camera vehicle" documenting the whole event or "safety escort"  vehicle sitting very close in front.  Soft pedal for 180k and stay fresh for the run.  Yep you may cop some flack from the Ironman crew but to your followers you will still be doing the distance. 

Totally agree.

She should draft both the swim and bike and then even do runs with tailwinds.

She is doing the distance 50 times. 

Not Ironmans with ironman rules. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She's not going to complete it anyway - it'll make a great TV special - I bet they're filming the whole thing and it'll be more dramatic when she just can't go on and complete her dream 

I bet they intersperse clips of the poor kids in Haiti at every opportunity - she'll become a "reality TV star" - the kids in Haiti will get a few bucks out of it and everyone will be happy (except the regular Transitions posters) who'll crucify her - but just up until the next "hot topic" comes along 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AP said:

everyone will be happy (except the regular Transitions posters) who'll crucify her

Are you suggesting this doesn't make the regular poster happy! 😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done to her for making the first.

But, I wonder how, in her words, "I hit a wall at mile 13 because I wasn’t eating like I should", combined with finishing only 8 hours before tomorrow's start, and now a 2hr+ drive is going to play out tomorrow, or the day after.

I first thought she may make 4 or 5 (though with a few shortcuts), but with a day taking this long, all it needs is a slight hiccup to mean 4 hour sleep between days, and that just won't work.

I suppose an example of a hiccup would be turning up at the pool with a tv film-crew ready to start, and finding out it doesn't open for another half hour, like this morning. ;) 

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished and snoozing, but no strava yet?

Mine uploads automatically when I hit save instead of discard. 

But then, I dont do any post processing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who need a reality check, listen to this podcast about The Pacific Wheel Race. Listening to an honest account of what serious endurance events do to the body should remind her worshipers how fake this whole shenanigan is:

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-rupert-guinness/10068214

Edited by The Customer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Customer said:

For those who need a reality check, listen to this podcast about The Pacific Wheel Race. Listening to an honest account of what serious endurance events do to the body should remind her worshipers how fake this whole shenanigans is:

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-rupert-guinness/10068214

I’ve got a 12 hour drive tomorrow and you’ve just made my day!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, goughy said:

Regardless of everything, the only thing that concerns me is that the money raised actually goes where it's suppose to!  The long and the short of it, that's all that really matters!  And how do we know it will?  Isn't the charity registered at her address?

Typically I'm the gullible person, the one who takes everyone at what they say and prefers to believe everyone is telling the truth.

Situations like the Bell Gibson one now make me question everything, and I hate feeling like that!  I just hope the charity and the reasons are genuine.  Couldn't care a hoot after that.

I believe she previously  raised a lot of money for this orphanage and volunteered there a bit over the last couple of years

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's data is up on Garmin Connect.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2936705916

And Mike, ther's a bit of speculation going around about the orphanage. Yes, she has been donating to the Maison Fortune Orphanage FOUNDATION. Strangely enough though, that "Foundation" is registered in her home town in the US.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

So that makes Lance Armstrong awesome.  He raised millions of dollars for cancer

But Lance is AWESOME!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's event was quite plausible. The times look a lot more realistic than in Haiti.

I'm not familiar with the idiosyncrasies of Garmin Connect, but it shows 200km completed during T2. I'll wait for the Twitch-hunt to find the answer to that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Today's data is up on Garmin Connect.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2936705916

And Mike, ther's a bit of speculation going around about the orphanage. Yes, she has been donating to the Maison Fortune Orphanage FOUNDATION. Strangely enough though, that "Foundation" is registered in her home town in the US.

Coach posted on IG to Fitness Buddy that breaks were being included. 

How does that jive with this? 

She posted footage of her stopped eating didnt she? 

I don't get how the numbers are adding up. 

The total time includes transitions, but not the total elapsed time of the  bike or run? 

20180816_202117.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elapsed time of 5:18 on the run, so I've officially got 1 faster IM run than her :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a great sleep for night one. 

She slept a bit in the van while they drive to the hotel.  Then more sleep. Then up after about 5 hrs, driving in van to get their own coffee. 

Cluster#### .  5 hrs isn't much sleep but when it's broken it's even less useful.

IG story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Turts said:

Not a great sleep for night one. 

She slept a bit in the van while they drive to the hotel.  Then more sleep. Then up after about 5 hrs, driving in van to get their own coffee. 

Cluster#### .  5 hrs isn't much sleep but when it's broken it's even less useful.

IG story. 

She'd have been much better off going home last night to try to get a better sleep, then heading off a couple hours before swim start and trying to get a little more sleep in the van on the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Today's event was quite plausible. The times look a lot more realistic than in Haiti.

I'm not familiar with the idiosyncrasies of Garmin Connect, but it shows 200km completed during T2. I'll wait for the Twitch-hunt to find the answer to that one.

They did relocate for the bike and run legs. But 200k seems excessive! 

Now on strava, showing transition travels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching the iron cowboy doco at the moment. Seemed topical. He averaged only about 4hrs sleep a day. Looks terrible.

He really struggled with organisation for the first half. But still much better than Ashley. 

Mentally exhausting for sure, plus physically debilitating. Social media pressure was full on. Had he had better sorry and planning quite a bit could have been avoided. Ashley should have learned from this, but maybe she just couldn't get the extra support? 

 

Edited by dazaau

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turts said:

Coach posted on IG to Fitness Buddy that breaks were being included. 

How does that jive with this? 

She posted footage of her stopped eating didnt she? 

I don't get how the numbers are adding up. 

The total time includes transitions, but not the total elapsed time of the  bike or run? 

20180816_202117.jpg

And that meal break was 30mins.  So she rode a 5:30 bike?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Ashley should have learned from this, but maybe she just couldn't get the extra support? 

He tried to make contact and offer advise but she knocked it back.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×