On 19/07/2018 at 6:52 AM, willie said:

Would a three day road trip really be worth it? :lol:

I've been on epic 3 day footy trips.... 

14 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

I've been on epic 3 day footy trips.... 

Unfortunately its its long course triathlon 😢

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Okay not being picky but is she doing 50 Ironmans in 50 days?

or 50 Ironmans in 50 days in a row?

because this will put her behind right from day 1. Starting in the evening. 

C0104AAB-FE79-43B7-9269-B2B20A3D7D47.png

50 day iron triathlon evolution? In what way is it an evolution? Also I think it doesn't start until Sunday or Monday.

17 hours ago, Peter said:

Okay not being picky but is she doing 50 Ironmans in 50 days?

or 50 Ironmans in 50 days in a row?

Or 50 Ironmen in 50 days?

• Haha 1

I just checked our insta page and read one of her recent posts.  

Someone questioned her about calling them IRONMAN as she would have to be certain rules, no drafting, 17 hours etc.  

She responded and basically said she don't give a **** about the rules and it is about the kids she is raising money for. 

So if it is about the kids how about stop posting selfies so people can comment on your body.  

I see this as attention seeking 101.  Great to do it for a cause but don't make it about you which she is.  

I was watching Shane Crawford's BCNA Run and Ride on YouTube yesterday this is a prime example of someone doing good for the right reasons.  Channel 9 made a big deal of it but you can see by his response to the attention he was actually uncomfortable about it and very emotional.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

I just checked our insta page and read one of her recent posts.  

Someone questioned her about calling them IRONMAN as she would have to be certain rules, no drafting, 17 hours etc.  

She responded and basically said she don't give a **** about the rules and it is about the kids she is raising money for. 

So if it is about the kids how about stop posting selfies so people can comment on your body.  

I see this as attention seeking 101.  Great to do it for a cause but don't make it about you which she is.  

I was watching Shane Crawford's BCNA Run and Ride on YouTube yesterday this is a prime example of someone doing good for the right reasons.  Channel 9 made a big deal of it but you can see by his response to the attention he was actually uncomfortable about it and very emotional.  

I understand where the questioner is coming from, but a valid point is being lost in them being overly pedantic. For someone undertaking a challenge like this it's pretty clear that there are plenty of IM competition rules that are irrelevant.

Obviously, outside assistance is clearly essential.

Likewise, the 17 hour cut-off is just not applicable to this. What she is attempting is defined by one IM each day. As long as she backs up to complete one the following day, starting and finishing times are of no concern.

It's not like 17 hours is the standard cut-off in every IM staged each year. Competitors in double or triple ironman races have more than 34 or 51 hours to complete the course. It's a different ball game.

Conversely, if she doesn't want people to think the athletic side of this is a fraud or at best a joke, she does require some accountability of the distances at the very least.

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 1

I could care less.  I hope she raises a heap of money, couldn't care what she does or doesn't do.  If it ends up a case where a heap of the money raised goes to funding doing it in the first place, then I'd care.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone seen any reference to funds / fundraising amounts / commercials yet? She's "doing it for the children" but what does that actually mean?

12 minutes ago, monkie said:

Has anyone seen any reference to funds / fundraising amounts / commercials yet? She's "doing it for the children" but what does that actually mean?

I haven't looked at this one, but a lot of her fund-raising in the past has been for orphanages in Cuba & Haiti. I don't know her connection with them. There has also been some for women's shelters etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goughy said:

I could care less. 

Tipping the IronCowboy would care.

If she totally takes the piss and still claims it, which we know she will, then his 48 real Ironmans in the 50 days (minus the 2 on elipiticals etc..) would seem like a joke. 

We all saw how hard they actually are after Craig Percival did 7 and after he said they were near impossible. If it wasn't for all those going out and running and riding with Craig he wouldn't have finished them. 

And that was 7. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

4.  then something about logistical issues, then a gap, then a re-start with a different goal/distance, quickly followed up by a statement that anyone who criticizes hates children and is much worse than Hitler or a Trump supporter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So how would people feel if these fundraisers were to say "I'm covering the distance of 50 ironman triathlons a day for 50 days".  Not actually say "I'm doing 50 ironman tris???"

10 minutes ago, goughy said:

So how would people feel if these fundraisers were to say "I'm covering the distance of 50 ironman triathlons a day for 50 days".  Not actually say "I'm doing 50 ironman tris???"

Unless she can magic up a bike, she won't even be doing that.

I think they sell them in stores now days??

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Fine by me. I have no problem with her taking more than 17 hours. Or not doing them on consecutive days. Or doing the swim in a pool. Just don't lie about the distances covered.

On a huffy mountain bike for the first one since she couldn't get her bike to Haiti. Gonna be a long first day. I'm still living in hope for some strava...

1 hour ago, A2K said:

Fine by me. I have no problem with her taking more than 17 hours. Or not doing them on consecutive days. Or doing the swim in a pool. Just don't lie about the distances covered.

Yep I feel the same. 

26 minutes ago, dazaau said:

On a huffy mountain bike for the first one since she couldn't get her bike to Haiti. Gonna be a long first day. I'm still living in hope for some strava...

Where are you getting the updates?

Her claim that Haiti airport won't take oversize luggage is going to cause major problems at the end of this when she tries to donate the proceeds to the orphanage. This shot is after her last fundraising saga.

image.png.e4bd4a779b16d7b000813cf98cb26791.png

52 minutes ago, dazaau said:

slowtwitch, because I refuse sign up or use instagram which appears to be her only form of communication.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Fitness_star_Ashley_Horner_to_complete_50_ironman_triathlons_in_50_days_P6671856-45/

I checked her IG page and didnt see much reportinng

5 minutes ago, Turts said:

I checked her IG page and didnt see much reportinng

Apparently it is in her "stories" section or something? I don't understand IG. But if you figure it out I'd love the relevant stuff to get re-posted here. 

I jumped on insta and she couldn't take her bike to Haiti as the airline didnt allow oversize luggage, so not a good start, it then shows her getting her hands on a MTB, so not sure what she is doing down there, if she tries to do 180 on an MTB it will take forever.

Edited by Gilliga

49 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

I jumped on insta and she couldn't take her bike to Haiti as the airline didnt allow oversize luggage, so not a good start, it then shows her getting her hands on a MTB, so not sure what she is doing down there, if she tries to do 180 on an MTB it will take forever.

maybe she thinks 180 minutes will suffice...

1 hour ago, Gilliga said:

I jumped on insta and she couldn't take her bi

What /who are you following on insta?

Click on the pic for the “feed” nothing on the normal insta page. She has a lot of stuff on there from past 24 hrs. By looks of it I don’t think an Ironman is happening. She has her kids with her and driving 6 hrs in a van to get to some place.

Edited by Gilliga

13 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

Click on the pic for the “feed” nothing on the normal insta page. She has a lot of stuff on there from past 24 hrs. By looks of it I don’t think an Ironman is happening. She has her kids with her and driving 6 hrs in a van to get to some place.

Ah cool thanks. Didnt know about the "feed" bit. 

So it's her, her kids, the blonde chick, and a cheap huffy bike? 

No way this is happening. 

• Haha 1

If serious, they would have had a bike driven in from across the border in the Dominican Republic, where there are decent bike shops.

But I suppose this makes a better story.

I wonder if she brought her strava linked GPS?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

The bike leg will take 9-12 hrs on the huffy alone. She ain’t doing an Ironman distance today.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

The bike leg will take 9-12 hrs on the huffy alone. She ain’t doing an Ironman distance today.

I thought it started on the 12th?

Oh ok, well in that case she has a few days to settle in. Maybe she can find a better bike by then, she seemed in a big rush to find the bike and was happy to settle for the huffy. 

Just now, Gilliga said:

Oh ok, well in that case she has a few days to settle in. Maybe she can find a better bike by then, she seemed in a big rush to find the bike and was happy to settle for the huffy. 

Just going on something I read on ST.  I could be wrong, happened once, on a Tuesday afternoon back in the summer of '72 IIRC. :whistling:

• Haha 1

She literally has no idea how hard this is going to be... 180km on a full carbon TT bike is tough... I reckon injury straight away :(

Also, the logistics are just going to kill her. A f*ck up this bad on day 1???

Edited by monkie

8 hours ago, dazaau said:

Whats wrong with a Huffy. Mark Allen won Kona on one!

Just now, IronmanFoz said:

Whats wrong with a Huffy. Mark Allen won Kona on one!

A mountain bike? Knobbly tyres and all...

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If serious, they would have had a bike driven in from across the border in the Dominican Republic, where there are decent bike shops.

But I suppose this makes a better story.

I wonder if she brought her strava linked GPS?

No GPS in Haiti ;)

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I thought it started on the 12th?

August 8 according to original publicised post......I suppose that is about august 12 th in the UK.

2 days ago her insta post said she'd be starting in 4 days

Who’s looking after her kids she has with her for the next 50 days? 

This is so not going to happen legitimately. 

18 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

August 8 according to original publicised post......I suppose that is about august 12 th in the UK.

I think she updated it last week, you probably haven't seen that post being on NBN and all.

• Haha 1

Guys, guys, guys.

Can we focus on sledging supporting Ashley here please?

For the children!

• Haha 2

And I read somewhere she's decided on a lay-day after this first one due to the logistics of getting back to the states.