A2K

50 Ironmans in 50 days Ashley Horner

I suppose you could call this attempt a success. She did increase her IG followers by over 2,000 in just 4 days.

Now if half of her 600k+ followers donated just 5 cents, she'd have made double the amount for the orphanage that this exercise has so far.

And if this is true, then it should clear up a number of questions being asked. I suppose that won't be known till the auditors look at the books at the end of the year, but I'd like to think it's true.

I’ve spent 100% of my own money on all of this. No sponsors, no donors.. 100% of the $$ goes to @maisonfortune I have been on the the biggest if not the biggest donor for those children at MFO. And yes... the trip to be ER, I paid for that.. the food for my entire team, The vehicles- I paid for that- don’t just assume things you have no clue about. $ 7,500 ...Honey I’m just starting.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Pretty sure I called it a 3 day road trip...

I reckon I could do better than this in my current shape (that shape is extremely rotund). She didn't respect the distance or what it does to your body over multiple days. Then dismissing help from those who have been before her. Great she gave it a crack but I also kinda feel like its a "told you so" kind of moment everyone was expecting. 

• Like 1

Absolute f*cking amateur. We all knew she wasn't going to make the 50 but seriously. 2.5? 

Do her followers have absolutely any grasp of reality? This a few minutes ago.

justinknowsfitnessSome serious athleticism here. Keep it going Ashley you got this!!

Huge goals will always face perseverance.. you’re mentally still very strong.. good point in the journey to go through a physical test like this! Keep going, be smart health wise and show the world something amazing!

You can do it. You are amazing

37 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

She was certainly delusional herself. Having never done one IM, she claimed she was going to do 50 in 50, and still lift weights 4 times a week. 

Had no idea of fuelling or electrolytes. 

37 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Dude one - serious athleticism here.  Nothing athletic about it really,  Endurance and athleticism are not really the same thing.  

Just remember cross fit athletes tend to implode.  They do a lot of things but in reality they do them all averagely.  There mindset is they are better then anyone else.

4 hours ago, Turts said:

There we have it boys and girls. 

The no-blame "not my fault"  way out

20180818_093750.jpg

Same as most IM participants, I would have gone sub 10 except my body gave out, nutrition was wrong, was not my day

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

IM is 90 % mental remember so as long as she believes it she can get it done

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

IM is 90 % mental remember so as long as she believes it she can get it done

Does that mean doing 50 would be 4500% mental?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Apparently she won't quit. I understand her coach wants her to stop. If she did go on she could be seriously risking her health. She seems to still be rather delusional about it all. Hope someone talks sense into her before it gets any worse.

Edited by dazaau

From the coach apparently, from Facebook.

It was hyponatremia. The blood work confirmed it. we did the first loop of the bike and she couldn't keep down any fluids- we got the back to the transition area and I mandated that she get a medical consult.  

This was my fault, she was apparently having palatability issues with the drinks she normally takes in and had asked volunteers to water it down all day, which means she was only getting in half the electrolytes that she was supposed to. Squarely on my shoulders, the buck stops here and I should have been on top of it. 

Her sodium level was at 124 and ck at 859, indicating that an extended period of being unable to hydrate at all was resulting and borderline rhabdo. 

She still wants to continue tomorrow. As I take confidentiality with my athletes seriously, I'm not necessarily at liberty to discuss what my personal perspective was, but I hope folks can figure it out.  

I'll keep you guys posted. Those who have expressed concern and support, thank you. When I told her that some triathletes were supporting her now, she lit up, so it means a lot.

Edited by dazaau

There's some Twitchers going to be really disappointed if she does pull the pin here. They got to 111 pages by day 3, and were hoping to go on a full week and have a tilt at their biggest ever thread.

And Turts, you shouldn't be so sexist against women. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Haha 2

That's gold from the coach. He details what happened, her medical condition, blood results, her desire to continue, etc.......but won't say his personal perspective because THAT would breach athlete confidentiality???

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And Turts, you should be so sexist against women. :)

I deny everything. Must have been an imposter 😉

3 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Same as most IM participants, I would have gone sub 10 except my body gave out, nutrition was wrong, was not my day

Bullshit. I was on 8.45 pace until my body gave out :smartarse:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Contaminated water on course, nutrition on course not made up properly...... that sort of thing. 

6 hours ago, willie said:

I reckon I could do better than this in my current shape (that shape is extremely rotund). 

Prove it 😉

• Haha 1

So this confirmation that crossfit athletes are not the fittest in the world. 

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

So this confirmation that crossfit athletes are not the fittest in the world. 

Not sure any triathlete that would do 3 IMs in a row better, would do any good at crossfit games. 

Apples and oranges. 

They're fulla shit making a bold claim about "fittest" with so many aspects and takes on fitness. 

• Like 3

We're all just different colours in a box of fruit loops. 

Edited by Turts
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Turts said:

Not sure any triathlete that would do 3 IMs in a row better, would do any good at crossfit games. 

I've been roped in to something very similar in March next year... I shall report back!

(thinking you're probably right).