A2K

50 Ironmans in 50 days Ashley Horner

17 minutes ago, A2K said:

Let’s get it out of the way. There are no Ironman that I know of on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Fail

Then in the link above she say will take her 16 hours .... maybe 18...... Fail number 2.

She does not look like she has the bulk to sustain 50 ironmans in 50 days.

And As AP would say..... this is a career ending exercise...........but good luck anyway.

Oh...... and no mention of Deliveroo!

I struggled with motivation to do 1 this year. who could be bothered?. Get her to donate part of her trust fund to that charity😉

Here is the text for those that dont want to click through. 

Fitness competitor Ashley Horner is no stranger to pushing her body to the limits: in the 15-months, she's completed a 1,350 mile bike ride, climbed Mt. Rainer, and run 230 miles in 72 hours — all for charity. 

In her latest challenge, Horner is planning to complete 50 Ironman triathlons in 50 days. The fitness competitor, who has her own training program, will start the challenge in Haiti on Aug. 8, complete full-Ironman triathlons in 48 states, and end in Haiti, where she is donating proceeds from the 50-day triathlon blitz to the Maison Fortuné Orphanage. She hopes to raise $100,000 for the orphanage. 

Horner, who has over 591,000 followers on Instagram, said she felt compelled to use her following to help others in need. 

“I just didn’t feel like it would be complete if I started it in Haiti, and didn’t end there, I want to end it there because that’s where my heart is and the purpose behind what I’m doing," she said. "I know when the going gets tough ... and the suffering kicks in I will know my end goal is to be back there with the children." 

While Horner is no stranger to intense exercise, she said she had to mentally prepare for the challenge of completing 50 Ironmans, which are comprised of a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride, and 26.2-mile run. 

"This one is probably going to be without a doubt, the biggest evolution and challenge I have ever done," she said. "It is going to take me anywhere from 12-16 hours a day, maybe 18, for 50 days straight, and that’s a lot to wrap your mind around." 

She said she's focusing on mental preparedness, and being able to push through the negative thoughts that might cross her mind during the triathlons. 

Horner and her team plan to make their way through Florida and up the East coast. She said her team would drive an RV, so she can compete during the day, and then sleep at night while the RV makes its way to the next state. 

Horner said she feels grateful to have the support of her followers and community. 

"Fitness is in the driver's seat of everything I do, it’s in the muscle of everything I do – as big as my platform is I felt like it was a responsibility for me to use it for a bigger purpose, and a purpose to do good," she said. 

Call me cynical but I get the feeling not too many of the segments will be verified on Strava or the like. 

20 minutes ago, roxii said:

She said her team would drive an RV, so she can compete during the day, and then sleep at night while the RV makes its way to the next state.

About half the US states legislate that you must have a seat-belt on while the RV is moving. I wonder how they put the seat-belt in the bed?

It's hard enough to do 50 ironman distances in 50 days. Doing it in each state just makes it soooo much harder. The logistics alone are a nightmare. Who knows what will happen, Ironcowboy almost pulled it off, and for all practical purposes some would say he did. 

Personally I don't think this particular journey will end nearly as well but we shall see. 

I suppose a lot can be done to assist this attempt on the bike. They won't be races, there won't be TO's, so you could think that a point to point ride, with a reasonable tailwind & altitude drop, or her RV a couple metres in front, could create a "rest day" now and then. She still has to run 42km each day though. That in itself is not going to be easy for her.

What's her triathlon background?

Her 370km/3day charity run in Haiti is reasonably impressive, though she doesn't appear to have too much behind her as a competitive ultra runner other than a BOP performance in a 50 miler.

6 hours ago, The Customer said:

Will all be over by day 3

If the 3 day run she did it Haiti was legitimate, 3 days of ironman distance shouldn't be beyond her.

Another serious case of attention seeking syndrome - be flat out doing a week of it 💪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So somewhere between 3 and 9 days seems to be the consensus. 

She's gym-fit. You see plenty of those types walking the marathon at any ironman. Nothing on Athlinks. Has she even done a sprint distance? My spidey-senses tell me the only swimming she's done is an out-and-back to the floating bar for a Pina Cola on 'cheat day'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I tip she'll do it.

But we are unlikely to see much in the way of live authentication to confirm it all.

1 hour ago, The Customer said:

She's gym-fit. You see plenty of those types walking the marathon at any ironman. Nothing on Athlinks. Has she even done a sprint distance? My spidey-senses tell me the only swimming she's done is an out-and-back to the floating bar for a Pina Cola on 'cheat day'.

Slightly harsh... if she can run 370km in 3 days then she is way more than gym fit... 

N.B. I don't know if she actually did that but it is claimed that she did and if she did then chapeau.

Still very different to 50 in 50 though.

Edited by monkie

So I thought it might be insightful to see how her online content suggests she would fuel her 50 in 50. 

At the risk of sounding like a disciple of durianrider, I would have thought fruit was preferable to protein shakes?

C179FF64-F2D9-474F-BD27-482893F0ADA9.png

333382A2-FD5D-4B34-92BD-A7D33BD14027.png