A2K

50 Ironmans in 50 days Ashley Horner

17 minutes ago, A2K said:

Let’s get it out of the way. There are no Ironman that I know of on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Fail

Then in the link above she say will take her 16 hours .... maybe 18...... Fail number 2.

She does not look like she has the bulk to sustain 50 ironmans in 50 days.

And As AP would say..... this is a career ending exercise...........but good luck anyway.

Oh...... and no mention of Deliveroo!

I struggled with motivation to do 1 this year. who could be bothered?. Get her to donate part of her trust fund to that charity😉

Here is the text for those that dont want to click through. 

Fitness competitor Ashley Horner is no stranger to pushing her body to the limits: in the 15-months, she's completed a 1,350 mile bike ride, climbed Mt. Rainer, and run 230 miles in 72 hours — all for charity. 

In her latest challenge, Horner is planning to complete 50 Ironman triathlons in 50 days. The fitness competitor, who has her own training program, will start the challenge in Haiti on Aug. 8, complete full-Ironman triathlons in 48 states, and end in Haiti, where she is donating proceeds from the 50-day triathlon blitz to the Maison Fortuné Orphanage. She hopes to raise $100,000 for the orphanage. 

Horner, who has over 591,000 followers on Instagram, said she felt compelled to use her following to help others in need. 

“I just didn’t feel like it would be complete if I started it in Haiti, and didn’t end there, I want to end it there because that’s where my heart is and the purpose behind what I’m doing," she said. "I know when the going gets tough ... and the suffering kicks in I will know my end goal is to be back there with the children." 

While Horner is no stranger to intense exercise, she said she had to mentally prepare for the challenge of completing 50 Ironmans, which are comprised of a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride, and 26.2-mile run. 

"This one is probably going to be without a doubt, the biggest evolution and challenge I have ever done," she said. "It is going to take me anywhere from 12-16 hours a day, maybe 18, for 50 days straight, and that’s a lot to wrap your mind around." 

She said she's focusing on mental preparedness, and being able to push through the negative thoughts that might cross her mind during the triathlons. 

Horner and her team plan to make their way through Florida and up the East coast. She said her team would drive an RV, so she can compete during the day, and then sleep at night while the RV makes its way to the next state. 

Horner said she feels grateful to have the support of her followers and community. 

"Fitness is in the driver's seat of everything I do, it’s in the muscle of everything I do – as big as my platform is I felt like it was a responsibility for me to use it for a bigger purpose, and a purpose to do good," she said. 

Call me cynical but I get the feeling not too many of the segments will be verified on Strava or the like. 

20 minutes ago, roxii said:

She said her team would drive an RV, so she can compete during the day, and then sleep at night while the RV makes its way to the next state.

About half the US states legislate that you must have a seat-belt on while the RV is moving. I wonder how they put the seat-belt in the bed?

It's hard enough to do 50 ironman distances in 50 days. Doing it in each state just makes it soooo much harder. The logistics alone are a nightmare. Who knows what will happen, Ironcowboy almost pulled it off, and for all practical purposes some would say he did. 

Personally I don't think this particular journey will end nearly as well but we shall see. 

I suppose a lot can be done to assist this attempt on the bike. They won't be races, there won't be TO's, so you could think that a point to point ride, with a reasonable tailwind & altitude drop, or her RV a couple metres in front, could create a "rest day" now and then. She still has to run 42km each day though. That in itself is not going to be easy for her.

What's her triathlon background?

Her 370km/3day charity run in Haiti is reasonably impressive, though she doesn't appear to have too much behind her as a competitive ultra runner other than a BOP performance in a 50 miler.

6 hours ago, The Customer said:

Will all be over by day 3

If the 3 day run she did it Haiti was legitimate, 3 days of ironman distance shouldn't be beyond her.

Another serious case of attention seeking syndrome - be flat out doing a week of it 💪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So somewhere between 3 and 9 days seems to be the consensus. 

She's gym-fit. You see plenty of those types walking the marathon at any ironman. Nothing on Athlinks. Has she even done a sprint distance? My spidey-senses tell me the only swimming she's done is an out-and-back to the floating bar for a Pina Cola on 'cheat day'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I tip she'll do it.

But we are unlikely to see much in the way of live authentication to confirm it all.

1 hour ago, The Customer said:

She's gym-fit. You see plenty of those types walking the marathon at any ironman. Nothing on Athlinks. Has she even done a sprint distance? My spidey-senses tell me the only swimming she's done is an out-and-back to the floating bar for a Pina Cola on 'cheat day'.

Slightly harsh... if she can run 370km in 3 days then she is way more than gym fit... 

N.B. I don't know if she actually did that but it is claimed that she did and if she did then chapeau.

Still very different to 50 in 50 though.

Edited by monkie

So I thought it might be insightful to see how her online content suggests she would fuel her 50 in 50. 

At the risk of sounding like a disciple of durianrider, I would have thought fruit was preferable to protein shakes?

C179FF64-F2D9-474F-BD27-482893F0ADA9.png

333382A2-FD5D-4B34-92BD-A7D33BD14027.png

That's if she ran 370 km in 3 days.

Just doing a bit of reading on her running, self-promotion appears to take precedence over performance or accountability.

From her account of a double crossing of the Grand Canyon:

The last 10 miles were the hardest and the final 4 miles we climbed 6,000 feet. I have never in my life felt so ever enduring pain & the truth is that my physical ability ended about mile 38 as my body began to shut down.

A lot of you are curious how much training I did for this, the furthest distance I had ran was 15 miles… No training could replicate or prepare me for what I went through out there. that stream of tears that rolled down my cheeks when I reached the final rim was the happiest and greatest feeling of achievement I have felt. Very very special thanks to Quest Nutrition for believing in me, the Ashley Horner Foundation and my entire running crew! We did it and we accomplished something that even less than 1% of Ultra Runners attempt annually.

Except the trails out of Grand Canyon don't ascend that steeply. On the North Rim it's about 3000 feet in the last 4.7 miles, and on the South Rim, 4000 feet for the final 4.4 miles of the South Kaibab Trail and about 3000 feet for the last 4.8 miles of the Bright Angel Trail. https://www.rimtorim.org/hike-it/

Training does prepare you for exactly what she went through. That's why you do it.

Sure, only a small percentage ultra runners may attempt it each year, but at 67 or 75 km (depending on the route taken) of reasonably well maintained trail, it's achievable by the overwhelming majority of ultra runners.

Edited by Paul Every

She also claims to have run 280 mile/450km in 5 days from Virginia Beach to Wrightsville Beach in 2016.

Though a few things in this interview make me feel uneasy.

Mark: Okay, so 280 miles. How did that look? Like how many miles did you run a day? ‘Cause that seems like a pretty long run.

Ashley: So the first day was my easiest day. It was 30 miles, and I ran from the gym, American Sled Dogs to the North Carolina border. And maybe it was a little over 30 miles, but it was amazing, and that forever changed me. And I don’t think that… there was one maybe 2 days where I was running by myself, solo. The other days I would have safety runners or Erin, who is like my best friend. She does… we do business together. She’s my manager now. She ran some of it with me.

And then my captain from the Unbroken Foundation, Renee Adams, ran some of it with me as well. But that was probably the toughest thing that I have ever done. Every morning, it got to the point probably day 3, day 4–I ran for 5 days–and like I couldn’t even sleep at night because my body was just in such pain.

Mark: Wait, you only ran 5 days? If I divide 280 by 5, I mean that’s more than 50 miles a day.

Ashley: Mm-hmm. So there was… maybe it was 6 days. ‘Cause I got in on Saturday.

So, yeah, some of my days that I ran were 50 miles straight. One of them was maybe like 55 miles. But the 30 mile run was my shortest run. But it was really hard. My feet swelled to 2 and half shoe sizes bigger, so that was something that I wasn’t planning on that… Thankfully I have Reebok as one of my big sponsors now. And so they were able to get me some more shoes, stat. But I… like my feet swelled, I had a doctor who had to come out and look at me one night because I thought I had like a stress fracture in one of my feet. Which was fine. I remember, I looked at it, and I was like, “Well, is it going to get any worse if I run on it?” And she was like, “I don’t think so. It’s not going to get any worse.” And I was like, “Okay, I’m gonna run. Unless it’s… if it’s not a break I’m fine to run.

Anyways, so I put myself, my body through hell. But every moment of it was worth it. We had a goal to raise 15,000 dollars because the shelter down in North Carolina needed a new roof. And we raised… I shouldn’t say “we,” it was you guys–everybody helping me–we raised 18,000 dollars. It was so amazing. And I think I cried everyday, just ’cause.

Mark: I bet. That’s so cool. Did you train for this? Or were you confident enough from your functional fitness to just jump into it?

Ashley: You know, I don’t personally do training really. Some would probably argue with me on that. But I think it gets to a point where it’s not really about training anymore physically. It’s about training your mind. And knowing that no matter what, you know… and I kept thinking that it doesn’t matter the pain that I’m about to go through. These women and who I’m raising the money for, they have scars that I can’t even compare. I don’t have anything to show for that pain that they have. And so it kept pushing me through to the end.” https://unbeatablemind.com/ashley-horner/

Seriously, who runs 450 km and not know how long it takes them? Especially fairly inexperienced runners who would remember the details well.

And apparently she doesn't really train.

The difference between running 80 km a day and the 120+km/day claimed for the Haiti run is enormous.

With a high online profile and promotion, when a 370km run gets ugly at 2am on an unlit Haitian road, it's easy to imagine the funding needs of the orphanage being of greater precedence than maintaining the integrity of the athletic performance, particularly for an inexperienced and undertrained runner.

Over the years, I've seen too many dubious solo charity runners with poor (if any) competitive records not to smell a rat with this.

Like I said, no idea if it's true. But even running 80km in a day would classify her as being above gym fit... I guess we wait and see and comment from the comfortable sidelines... :)

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

Runners quads....

Hope you're not being serious. They are gym quads. I've never seen an ultra-runner with quads that big - muscle mass like that would hinder endurance runners.

• Like 2

Those reports sound so dodgy it's unreal. 

That stress fracture story... Can't imagine any doctor saying running 80k on a swollen and very sore foot won't make it any worse 😶

Edited by dazaau

6 minutes ago, dazaau said:

That stress fracture story... Can't imagine any doctor saying running 80k on a swollen and very sore foot won't make it any worse 😶

Possibly the same doctor that prescribing whatever supplements she's using.

Did I say that out aloud? oops.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bosco said:

Runners quads....

De Castella and Mona's and even Andy Lloyd never had quads like that.... nor do any of us.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I tip she'll do it.

But we are unlikely to see much in the way of live authentication to confirm it all.

Ex - We are appointing you to follow her on Facebook and insta and report back daily.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, The Customer said:

If the internet says she ran 370km in 3 days then it must true #unicorn_magic

Tri Gold! LOL 

8 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Ex - We are appointing you to follow her on Facebook and insta and report back daily.

Stalker!

9 hours ago, The Customer said:

Hope you're not being serious. They are gym quads. I've never seen an ultra-runner with quads that big - muscle mass like that would hinder endurance runners.

I remember doing a colour run years ago with my son, and you could pick all the Crossfit/gym junkies..... They all had quads like that and even though we were basically walking, they didn't seem to get away from us over the 5k......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, dazaau said:

Those reports sound so dodgy it's unreal. 

Mine hurt like a bitch when I tried to run on it when it was fresh, and that injury 7 years ago caused ongoing problems still being felt today.  But I'm sure her quads could compensate.....

Good luck to her though.  Hope she does it and puts pay to us keyboard warriors (at least those of us that are).

Edited by goughy

10 minutes ago, goughy said:

Stalker!

Ok, I'll stalk 'er.

I hate having to look at Instagram pictures of semi-clad fit girls everyday. But someone has to do it. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

That interview was like. I don't know it's just like who talks like that? So I'm gonna like say no to this. Like Paul said she'll be out there in the dark with no one around and she'll be like its for the children. And she'll be like I'll just cut this short because: the children. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, The Customer said:

I’ll put a smiley face next time.....😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, A2K said:

That interview was like. I don't know it's just like who talks like that? So I'm gonna like say no to this. Like Paul said she'll be out there in the dark with no one around and she'll be like its for the children. And she'll be like I'll just cut this short because: the children. 

Agree.... not very convincing at all. I ran over 5 days or was it 6 days....

oh and I don’t train much either.

I'll agree to monitor her insta page, just in case Ex misses something.......

• Haha 3

Let's hope some American triathletes get out there with her to keep her honest. 

44 minutes ago, A2K said:

Let's hope some American triathletes get out there with her to keep her honest. 

Like Julie Miller?

There is some stuff on ST and they're making us look like a bunch of AH fans. I've also done a bit of pre-study on her Instagram page to prepare for next month's monitoring. Boy are there a lot of suckers out there getting inspired by this. And looking at the video on there, she could do with a bike fit and a swim coach, or she'll never squat or lift a weight above her head again after these 50 days.

I get the feeling she's not much different to Julie Miller just a bit more muscular. She obviously has a big fan base who pump her up and she soaks up the adulation. I suspect she's just vain and delusional and believes her own publicity.

4 hours ago, Tyno said:

I'll agree to monitor her insta page, just in case Ex misses something.......

OK I will be third fail safe and monitor her Instagram in case both Tyno and  Ex miss something.

But seriously, I can envisage a Robert Young style attempt where you turn up to watch her run legs at night and she's inside her RV that's travelling at about 10km/hr

http://amp.si.com/edge/2016/06/15/marathon-man-uk-robert-young-faking-world-record-run-cheating-doubts

8 hours ago, A2K said:

You'll love this then:

How to take 6 minutes to say "do back-to-back long runs".

• Haha 1

On 07/07/2018 at 6:24 PM, Paul Every said:

You'll love this then:

How to take 6 minutes to say "do back-to-back long runs".

WOW I got to 20 seconds !guess I won’t get that back . Bloody hell good luck to them . But they are every where trying to cash in on what I think should be free and fun to a certain extent if you want to go with coaching great good luck.

As for running though buy shoes go out the door and run pretty simple 

A few years ago I bought my first pair of running shoes after not running for close to 10 years 

went into the shop and I got talking to the sales guy 

“what are you after mate”

me “just some joggers mate “

for the gym ? 

Me “no I’m going to start running”

Oh sweet bla bla  we have a run group that leaves from the shop on Wednesday etc Saturday long run etc

me “oh that sounds good I might tag along and meet some new people to run with etc just give me a couple weeks to get my run legs going “

i leave the shop he said I”i put a timetable in the bag for you so you know what days we do things etc I’m thinking gezz this guys cool and helpful 

i get home open the bag to study the time table at the bottom it says 

$15 /run !!! Fark me I wanted to go and tell the bloke he was a d$&k head haha I couldn’t stop blowin up to the wife about it 

Here is a guy with I reckon zero idea talking it up and charging $$

when back in a simpler time Andrew Lloyd would have a group going around of various abilities all having fun and training hard ,now here you have one of the all time greats coaching creating fun and banter for guess what free !

Now I get it’s new times and people are making a living etc good on em 

But dose any one just go out with their mates and train /smash each other and draw of each other learn on the way anymore?

8 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

when back in a simpler time Andrew Lloyd would have a group going around of various abilities all having fun and training hard ,now here you have one of the all time greats coaching creating fun and banter for guess what free !

Talay's running shop in Randwick?

Wednesdays, 6:15 pm, 10 miles either south to Maroubra or north to Bondi?