Sign in to follow this  
BarryBevan

Healthy eating habits

Trying hard with young kids to eat healthy and set good example. Partner keeps buying Mc Donalds and Fried chicken two or three times per week. When I cook healthy, its not exactly popular and partner is dismissive of attempts to engage about it.

If cook up some eggs I get criticised for making a mess or feeding them eggs when they could eat cereal. Tried to talk and got told "I'm not perfect" I said" its not about being perfect its about trying to be healthy and setting good examples for the kids.

Anyone else dealt with this ?

Cept I'm the bad one!  Granted we don't have any issues when I cook (cept I'm crap at it) but my son is a fussy eater so he'll eat healthy, but not with a lot of variety.

Biggest issue for me is my time and I cop out too often.  No one complains about the mess cept me, but I made it and I clean it anyway.

Thanks for that, figure maybe I don't push it, just keep trying to find things they like and accept that from time to time we have some blow outs with food

The biggest issue for us is variety!  I feel like I've been making the same few meals over and over.  There aren't that many dishes either that everyone likes, so sometimes I'm making two  different things to keep everyone happy.  In particular my wife has had a lot of issues with reflux lately which was getting set of by tomato flavours as well!  Friggin annoying.  And I hate cooking.  

One thing I’ve learnt from having worked as a PT many moons ago, is that everyone has a different perception of what healthy eating is. 

My partner eats no (or barely any) processed food and bakes most snacks so he knows what’s in it. Although he doesn’t pose it on me, it does make me think twice about my food choices and we definitely eat much better when he’s home (we both work away).

I try and eat relatively healthy but alcohol and chocolate are my weakness!   

Maybe compromise by suggesting cereal on weekdays and having eggs on the weekends 😉

wow Barry!.  2 or 3 times a week is really bad, and it must really concern you to post.   unfortunately you can't nag her as that won't work, as it appears its an addiction, and nagging has an opposite effect. You have to find out why she wants this food.  IS it the taste? is it because its easy, i.e no mess? is it because you don't like it? IS it because that what she has always done in the past? i.e habit? maybe once you can figure this out, you can work out a plan to change the behaviour. 

you have to 100% at least get her down to once a week, a Friday night 'treat night' as my mum used to call it. 

9 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Trying hard with young kids to eat healthy and set good example. Partner keeps buying Mc Donalds and Fried chicken two or three times per week. When I cook healthy, its not exactly popular and partner is dismissive of attempts to engage about it.

If cook up some eggs I get criticised for making a mess or feeding them eggs when they could eat cereal. Tried to talk and got told "I'm not perfect" I said" its not about being perfect its about trying to be healthy and setting good examples for the kids.

Anyone else dealt with this ?

Just tell 'em it's part of their cultural heritage. 

1450148999084.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prince said:

wow Barry!.  2 or 3 times a week is really bad, and it must really concern you to post.   unfortunately you can't nag her as that won't work, as it appears its an addiction, and nagging has an opposite effect. You have to find out why she wants this food.  IS it the taste? is it because its easy, i.e no mess? is it because you don't like it? IS it because that what she has always done in the past? i.e habit? maybe once you can figure this out, you can work out a plan to change the behaviour. 

you have to 100% at least get her down to once a week, a Friday night 'treat night' as my mum used to call it. 

Addiction? What rubbish.. lack of time, not wanting to have a nightly struggle to get kids eating, or just plain laziness are probably much more likely..

Find out the foods they eat and make healthier versions.  Mini burgers, oven baked chips and always include veggies

I'll call myself out and say it's laziness.

Addiction, to a degree, can be the problem.  You learn to crave the fats and sugars that are in those foods!  Making life "seem" easier, absolutely!  I can make spaghetti full of veges in the time it takes me to go get takeaway, yet the takeaway seems easier and quicker.

It's probably convienience. I was cranky about hence posted about it and to be fair this week was a blow out and its normally once or twice.

We are both working hard with young kids. Answer is just get better with time management plan and prerpare things on the weekend.

Thanks for all the feedback and me going hard on it will not help. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

It's probably convienience. I was cranky about hence posted about it and to be fair this week was a blow out and its normally once or twice.

We are both working hard with young kids. Answer is just get better with time management plan and prerpare things on the weekend.

Thanks for all the feedback and me going hard on it will not help. 

Exactly. I am going through the same thing. Even 3 meals out of the total number of meals they have a week is probably not that bad.. to me this is another area where we should focus on 80:20..

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Addiction? What rubbish.. lack of time, not wanting to have a nightly struggle to get kids eating, or just plain laziness are probably much more likely..

Find out the foods they eat and make healthier versions.  Mini burgers, oven baked chips and always include veggies

Fast food addiction is a real thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Prince said:

Fast food addiction is a real thing.

Agreed but a busy parent getting it 2-3 times a week does not speak to me of fast food addiction.

I read BB comment as that he was trying to get the kids on better food, but you are taking it that the partner is desperate and twitching for her next fix of the Colonels secret recipe..?

A fast food addiction would be more likely if she was sitting in a dark carpark multiple times a week stuffing her face with nuggets before coming home and going about her standard business... 

• Like 2

but there are still some much healthier options than KFC and McDonalds out there in take away land if its for the purpose of being 'easier', hence why i think addiction to fats and salt has something to do with it.   

• Like 1

$5 for a happy meal or a dominos pizza vs $10 for subway, $15 for asian, etc might have something to do with it as well..  not to mention there is a golden arches in most neighborhoods..

i often get a subway salad, as for me buying all the salad is a pain in the arse, pretty good value as well.  i am not so sure there bread rolls are healthy. 

7 minutes ago, Prince said:

i often get a subway salad, as for me buying all the salad is a pain in the arse, pretty good value as well.  i am not so sure there bread rolls are healthy. 

I should have added that I dont think that subway or asian are actually healthier options. I cant see any child wanting to eat a subway salad though...

1 hour ago, Prince said:

I really can't think of anything much more unappealing than a Subway Salad. They are bland and tasteless, and the sauces are crap. If we are out & my wife does this, I do without, and wait till I get home then go & graze through the garden.

• Like 1

I love a Subway sandwich, but when I had just a salad (with ham) it was incredibly bland by comparison.... what sugars etc must be in that bread for me to love it.

Pizza is God's food!  $30 at dominoes feeds us for two nights plus maybe breakfast/lunch for one or two.  Prefer Capers or Crust though.

Eat way too much Maccas.  Those awful looking burgers and chips taste way too good..... F's me exactly why, cause they look like shit.  $1 for a frozen coke while driving past on a stinking hot day.....

Found a compromise, we have a healthy pre made but by proper cooks using quality ingredients, costs but substitutes those maccas

Its easy to say laziness. When you are genuinely two proper full time it is easy to get stuck in this trap

• Like 1

Hi Barry

In our house, we have a 8 yr old daughter who loves vegetables (absolutely froths over Brussels sprouts and broccoli...weirdo) and our 5 yr old boy has Coeliac disease, which rules out gluten...he is a very fussy eater, it borders on painful watching / trying to get him to eat

But what we have found is we got the kids in the kitchen and made some healthy options, including treats.  They love making food, the process of seeing something come together has really engaged them and they are super helpful and enjoy the whole process now, it does mean we spend a lot of time in the kitchen but its been worth it, the daughter never asks for take away, at 8 yrs old she has never has asked for it, probably because shes seen friends have it, but she doesn't become negative about being told no, instead we make our own versions at home,  shes also never had soft drink.

The son doesn't ask for take away as he knows being a coeliac means its just not safe for him and again we offer to make safe and healthy versions for him.

I understand getting the takeaway is just easy, hassle free etc, but we made the call to not implement in our kids diets and yes it does cost us time but its something we are happy to do.

My kids also get teased at school because of the "yuk" looking foods they have, but my daughter is incredible about it, she just carries on and tells the kids that its healthy, that she made it and is not processed and full of things you dont need.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was about to get all holier than thou, but then I remembered I banged down a large packet of double choc Tim Tams solo on Friday night.  Probably exceeds the threshhold for a treat for eating well all week.

• Haha 2

managed to find the kids love carrotts down side is daddy now has to eat two raw carrotts at lunch. I have dip though

• Haha 1

BB,

I found that our kids would eat anything that we involved them in growing.  Have you got the space ( and the patience) for a small vege patch?  A warning, you will be the one looking after it, but if the kids pick it, they'll eat it.  If they are old enough, you might even get them to cook with them.

• Like 1

My daughter's shift at her work today (Drake's supermarket) will be spent doing cooking sessions with kids today.  She thinks they should be making muffins and cupcakes which kids like, rather than the healthy stir-frys etc that are planned!