Sign in to follow this  
Andy Ryan

Insurance for Kona WC

Tried doing a search of previous topics but couldn’t find anything.

I was lucky enough to qualify for Kona at Cairns last month and am trying to sort my travel insurance for the trip. What have people done in the past who have raced there? Specifically, cover for during the race. If I was to have an accident of some sort and be carted off in an ambulance to the hospital for treatment, does the USA one day membership cover this or not. 

Struggling to find something that will cover me during the race.

2 minutes ago, Andy Ryan said:

Struggling to find something that will cover me during the race.

Most policies that cover you for extreme sports will cover racing. (quite often MTB, Skiing, sky diving etc is not covered but you can add it as an extra on some policies) 

• Thanks 1

I discovered similar just before heading to Coeur d’Alene 70.3 when my usual annual travel policy (Covermore) changed to specifically limit triathlon to maximum of Olympic distance. I discovered TA have an extension cover to overseas races for $192. It’s on their website. 

“Active Triathlon Australia members can upgrade their membership to include international travel insurance. You must have a valid TA membershipfor the full duration of your trip in order for this upgrade to be valid. If your TA membership has expired you will need to renew your membership before processing the upgrade. V-Insurance is our insurance broker, and have set up a webpage (link below) for all your insurance questions. If you have a question that is not covered on this page, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me.

The cost of the upgrade is $192 for a single trip of up to 180 daysBicycles are covered under the policyas a baggage item only, so are subject to the limitations of a baggage item, including cover as one item (including wheels/parts etc.) up to the sub limit of $2,500, and no cover whilst in use (whilst riding).Triathlon Australia does not have an affiliation for bike insurance, however we recommend Bikesure if you would like to take out a bike insurance package.

If you would like to go ahead, then please click on the upgrade link below to complete the online form and pay for your upgraded Triathlon Australia insurance policy. You will be emailed a receipt which will act as proof of your membership upgrade.

Triathlon Australia Membership Renewal - http://www.triathlon.org.au/Membership/Annual_Membership.htm

V-Insurance Website - http://www.vinsurancegroup.com/triathlon/index.html

Triathlon Australia Travel Insurance Upgrade - https://regonline.activeglobal.com/20172018membershipupgrade

Bike Insurance - http://www.bikesureonline.com.au/

If you have any further question, please don’t hesitate to get in contact.

Kind regards,

Fraser Rubens

Memberships Officer

Triathlon Australia Ltd

Street Address: Suite 504, 64-76 Kippax Street, Surry Hills, NSW, 2010

Postal Address: PO Box 13 Alexandria NSW 1435

T02 8488 6200 | Wwww.triathlon.

Edited by iFoz

The USA Triathlon one-day membership does qualify you for insurance coverage. That's about the only benefit of it. Info from the USAT site is pasted below. It's secondary insurance – if you have regular medical insurance, that kicks in first. It only covers injuries in the race, though. If you fall off a barstool at Sam's and break your drinking arm, you're on your own.

Good luck!

---

Athlete Excess Medical Policy

For Athletes

Athletes must file with their primary healthcare provider (i.e. United Healthcare, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, traveler's insurance, etc.).
Athlete completes a medical claim form. Athletes can contact the race director for the form or email eventservices@usatriathlon.org. The medical claim form along with all explanation of benefit documents should be sent directly from the athlete to the insurance company as indicated on the claim form.

Athletes will pay a deductible. All athletes using USA Triathlon insurance will pay anywhere from $250 (two-hundred and fifty U.S. dollars) to $1,000 (one thousand U.S. dollars) out of pocket and possibly more for uncovered expenses.

Coverage limitations. Be advised that coverage may not apply to each and every claim. Additionally, coverage only extends to participants that have purchased a USA Triathlon annual or one-day membership and were injured through participation in a USA Triathlon sanctioned event.

USA Triathlon has a full-time risk management team available to answer any specific coverage questions. Athletes or race directors can call or email the group benefits department at 770-449-5559 and ask for Sean Lankie.

Check closely as some of them will cover you for racing, but not the bike leg. So if you crash, you could be in trouble. I went with extra insurance through TA when I went to Kona a few years ago.

I used ‘worldcare’. There coverage also covers you on race day....... most others do not.