pieman

Froomey banned from tour (and then not banned)

Keen as!

I've been finding the flat stages are difficult.... tonight should be good :)

4 minutes ago, skel said:

NNNNNOOOOOOOOO

Ritchie 😫

And now off to his retirement contract at trek segafredo... 

Seriously, what is with falling off your bike? And riding at the carnage end of the peleton? Lance my have doped, but he also managed not to to fall off his bike....

So depressing. I really wanted to watch him win. I reckon it could have been the year. Good team, potentially overworked and under pressure froome. Honestly! Why! 

6 hours ago, dazaau said:

Seriously, what is with falling off your bike? And riding at the carnage end of the peleton? Lance my have doped, but he also managed not to to fall off his bike....

So depressing. I really wanted to watch him win. I reckon it could have been the year. Good team, potentially overworked and under pressure froome. Honestly! Why! 

Clearly not a good team, he shouldn't have been in that position in the peloton. That's what someone on twitter said, so I'm going with that.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Clearly not a good team, he shouldn't have been in that position in the peloton. That's what someone on twitter said, so I'm going with that.

I can't recall where he was at that point, but quite a few of the falls came very close to the front. Sky worked the very front most of the time, and at one stage 4 of them were on the ground.

15 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I can't recall where he was at that point, but quite a few of the falls came very close to the front. Sky worked the very front most of the time, and at one stage 4 of them were on the ground.

Yeh, I dont really agree with that take on it. Falls can happen anywhere, that's racing.

His best shot was when he was at sky and in the 'Societie le Gain Marginale'. If Froome had done his collarbone early in one of those years he might have had a chance..

edit to add- this actually happened in 2014 and he still didnt have 'it' to win... maybe he IS clean...

Edited by pieman
  • Haha 1

Don't think you can blame his team for his inability to stay on his bike. Seems he has a great team, they were up front where he should have been I believe.

Do the maths on how many riders there are, and how many each year withdraw from injury. You would have to have very very bad luck to be Porte, so it's either that or he is doing it wrong.

Edited by dazaau

10 hours ago, dazaau said:

A fully doped team and leader can ride at the front more. You are also less fatigued and less prone to mistakes as a result.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

A fully doped team and leader can ride at the front more. You are also less fatigued and less prone to mistakes as a result.

ouch

3 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

So do you think BMC is clean Alex? Or just not as well doped? I'm going with the latter.

I think Alex was referring to US postal/Discovery - not necessarily Sky? In any case BMC do not strike me as a crap team, rather the opposite. Now Cadel's teams in the past, now they were crap.

I'm getting over Porte's withdrawal now, if I find it agitating he must be devastated. Who can beat froome now? Probably no one. many of the other riders are let down by a bad TTT team and their own personal lack of time trial expertise. 

Brilliant shot on the front page of Steephill today. It shows that you can be number 4 in the peleton and still get thrown over the handlebars through no fault of your own.

09-237-RTX6BHK3-775.jpg

• Like 2

Listened to Cadel on radio.  He just said Porte crash this year was just bad luck.  However last year he said he was at fault

On 16/07/2018 at 2:26 PM, dazaau said:

I think Alex was referring to US postal/Discovery - not necessarily Sky? In any case BMC do not strike me as a crap team, rather the opposite. Now Cadel's teams in the past, now they were crap.

I'm getting over Porte's withdrawal now, if I find it agitating he must be devastated. Who can beat froome now? Probably no one. many of the other riders are let down by a bad TTT team and their own personal lack of time trial expertise. 

My point was that doping not only assists with performance, it also assists with tactical execution and skill elements. Similar situation with football, tennis etc. Better endurance / less fatigue / lower physical stress all means lower error rates and better execution.

I don't know who specifically is/is not doping. But is there doping? Yes, of course there is. There is in all sports and at all levels.

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Brilliant shot on the front page of Steephill today. It shows that you can be number 4 in the peleton and still get thrown over the handlebars through no fault of your own.

09-237-RTX6BHK3-775.jpg

Looks like a push in the back from BMC there! 

UMPIRE!?! 

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

09-237-RTX6BHK3-775.jpg

There's something wrong with the link.  I'm clicking on the red and white play button but it's not playing. 

• Haha 5

On 17/07/2018 at 10:40 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

09-237-RTX6BHK3-775.jpg

On 16/07/2018 at 9:24 AM, Alex Simmons said:

On 16/07/2018 at 8:07 AM, AA7 said:

Yeh, I dont really agree with that take on it. Falls can happen anywhere, that's racing.

Yes falls can happen anyway but they happen less often at the front. As Alex points out, doped or not, the strongest are up there and they are in control and alert, not shagged and just hanging on. As well the further back you go you get more of a "stretching and contracting" reaction (Liggitism/Sherwinism: the concertina effect) to variations in speed and this is when tired individuals can get caught overlapping wheels. If your front wheel gets into an overlapping situation and the guy in front moves sideways he'll take your wheel out. This is why the strongest teams always kept their leaders near the front to minimise the chance of being caught up in a crash.

Edited by Slowman

I just watch the highlights if there's nothing else on. The tour is again a farce! The team Sky train wreaks of systemic doping and the fact Froome was able to ride at all is a joke. There's no one even challenging Froome; except his own team mates!

P.S not to mention the commentary sucks! Can't stand McEwans smugness!

Edited by Chookman

I'm starting to find Team Sky very similar to Discovery, except for the fact that they continue the farce all season, and not just put it all into 1 big race.

The Grand Tours are becoming interesting only for the small battles on individual stages,rather than the war. 

Be good to see if Wiggins is right and it turns into a cat fight between the Welshman and the Kenyan.

Can't see anyone else doing any damage at this stage.

Lot of complaints here about the Sky dominance ala Discovery but also a lot of people on this forum look back fondly on the Discovery days due to the “exciting racing”.

Is the racing not exciting anymore?  

Last night seeing whether Nieve would hold on was exciting.

I think Mr Thomas may be Froomey's main problem. Or the other Tom. 

Edited by dazaau

Enjoyed the battle up Alpe d'Huez, they all had a crack. 

The crowd frustrates me no end though.

No guest spot from Phil and Paul to put me to sleep. has it changed for the better?😕

5 minutes ago, xblane said:

Enjoyed the battle up Alpe d'Huez, they all had a crack. 

The crowd frustrates me no end though.

Yeah it was great! 

Some real morons up there, totally agree. 

Neal Henderson’s  cyclingtips article on G is a good read. 

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, Chuckie M said:

No guest spot from Phil and Paul to put me to sleep. has it changed for the better?😕

Even Henk Vogels or the Tan man are no show this year. I do watch the GCN show on Facebook with a 12 min summary every morning.😄

3 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

Even Henk Vogels or the Tan man are no show this year

Surely that is a positive move.

• Haha 2

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, Chuckie M said:

Even Henk Vogels or the Tan man are no show this year. I do watch the GCN show on Facebook with a 12 min summary every morning.😄

I saw that Cam wurf turned up for a couple of stages for expert views😉