Sign in to follow this  
AA7

Challenge Roth

Happening now. Lucy Charles chicked all the pro men in the swim.

Wurf and Kienle pushing the bike lead currently.

A real lack of on-course coverage bordering on comical. It appears they have the cameras on the course but the stream is just footage mainly of the commentators

Edited by Waza

Ex rugby league player Ben Hannant was taking part for a charity group. 11.50 finish time handy for a big dude.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Ex rugby league player Ben Hannant was taking part for a charity group. 11.50 finish time handy for a big dude.

He smashed the clydesdales at noosa a couple years back by about 30 mins..

54 minutes ago, pieman said:

He smashed the clydesdales at noosa a couple years back by about 30 mins..

Obviously maintains his fitness by running around after his kids. I think the latest one just a few months ago was number 7.

Great to see Charles challenged at Roth, hopefully bring out some more fire in the Kona build and create a real competition in Hawaii against Daniela, with Rinny as a wild card if she can keep up some of these post baby bike results that once eluded her. 

• Like 1

What the hell is Wurf trying to achieve? An Ironman a week and he wonders why he can’t break 3hrs for the marathon. 

Thats said, another solid performance last night. Bike record, 5th place, under 8hrs, beat Cunnama and ran a 3:01 marathon. But what’s the point?

Maybe he's enjoying himself?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, goughy said:

Maybe he's enjoying himself?

bingo. I guess the question is why not? 

running 3.01 isn't bad considering he did nice the week before... I reckon he'll get some runs in his body and then you'll see his run split slowly decrease. I reckon you might see him start to win a few in the next 12-18mths. Normanator used to do the same then he got a grip on the bike and ran just fast enough to win some. 

Wurf has done something like 20 Ironman races in the last 2 years. Hasn’t broken 3hrs yet. Stuck at that 3 to 3:10 range every race. 

If he wants to ‘fast track’ the Ironman experience, then he’s already ticked that box. If he really wants to get ‘runs on the board’ well he himself has set a 2:50 marathon split as a goal. Racing every week isn’t going to acheive that. It’s worth keeping in mind that Wurf has now completed more Ironman races than Crowie did. Ever.

Does he want to win Kona as he says all the time or simply emulate Peter Vebrusiak (spelling). If it’s the later, then terrific. Have fun. Otherwise, he’s just marking time. At age 35, he can’t afford to do that if he’s being serious.

I think from listening to his interview, he feels like he doesnt have the runs on the board, literally, compared to other top flite ironman athletes. 

He said he was doing his long runs in racing, I assume that is still what he is doing. Lets face it, long runs suck, especially solo, the swim and bike obviously aren't hurting him too much.

He turns up races a lot, sponsors get great value, he obviously has  a plan. Good on him. 

• Like 1

“Lets face it, long runs suck, especially solo”

Peter V used to say the same thing. Maybe sucking it up and getting that 2hr run in every Sunday morning followed by another hour AT RACE PACE in the evening like Crowie for the next 3 months instead of racing every weekend might ... just might ... have a better effect?

Interesting to see how he will go when he does take a few weeks off. Maybe that's his thought. Keep pushing out 3:0x marathons tired, then do an A-Race fresh to see what happens.

27 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Interesting to see how he will go when he does take a few weeks off. Maybe that's his thought. Keep pushing out 3:0x marathons tired, then do an A-Race fresh to see what happens.

yeah that's my thought as well. If you can run 3.01 in your second IM in a couple of weeks surely you could go a bit faster fresh. No matter who you are an IM takes it out of you for a few weeks. 

Lets face it, long runs suck, especially solo”

Peter V used to say the same thing. Maybe sucking it up and getting that 2hr run in every Sunday morning followed by another hour AT RACE PACE in the evening like Crowie for the next 3 months instead of racing every weekend might ... just might ... have a better effect?

Petr Vabrousek is one of a kind! He considers himself as a lazy person that doesn't like training (funny for someone who's done over 185 IM's). He only does 2 -3 session a week, but he would do a race almost every weekend (from a 5k fun run to an IM). His long run doesn't go over 2hrs and long ride is 3hrs max. It will be interesting to see how he goes at the Ultraman World Championship this year.

Edited by Torn

4 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

What the hell is Wurf trying to achieve? An Ironman a week and he wonders why he can’t break 3hrs for the marathon. 

Thats said, another solid performance last night. Bike record, 5th place, under 8hrs, beat Cunnama and ran a 3:01 marathon. But what’s the point?

Maybe he just wants to race unlike most keyboard warriors on here

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kim jong-un said:

oh the irony

Edited by prizna
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Kim jong-un said:

I love it 😀

On 02/07/2018 at 8:06 AM, AA7 said:

Obviously maintains his fitness by running around after his kids. I think the latest one just a few months ago was number 7.

If I had six kids plus a new born I’d be just about prepared to do my long runs barefoot on broken glass just to get some solitude out of the house!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Slowlane said:

Anyone know why The Customer didn't start?

Strained a calf going for a tiptoe Insta pose?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

A. Missed my start after returning to my hotel room for my selfie stick

B. My 'runner' got held up in Zimbabwe

C. Forgot to deworm myself

D. Stayed in bed enjoying full blown bronchitis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, willie said:

E. All of the above? :lol: 

Actually, all could be true except I don't own a selfie stick, just very long arms.

10 hours ago, The Customer said:

Actually, all could be true except I don't own a selfie stick, just very long arms.

Like this? 

images (10).jpeg

Are they proportional to your legs?

(Did I just ask that out loud)  😚

14 hours ago, The Customer said:

A. Missed my start after returning to my hotel room for my selfie stick

B. My 'runner' got held up in Zimbabwe

C. Forgot to deworm myself

D. Stayed in bed enjoying full blown bronchitis

Sorry to hear that, sucks when you get sick before a race.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goughy said:

Are they proportional to your legs?

(Did I just ask that out loud)  😚

That's kinda personal goughy!