AA7

TA being sued for race crash

I am surprised that there was only one injury in that race.  I was running along the road when two para triathletes who were obviously in a fierce battle racing side by side tore past me.  They had their heads down and if it wasn’t for other runners yelling out for us to move I would have been knocked over.  I was keeping left and had to jump onto the footpath to avoid them, as did several runners around me.  I know the lady in question, but not the specifics of her accident.  Just commenting on my personal experience that day.  

Wouldn't you be sueing the race organiser, who would then be covered under their liability cover?

26 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Wouldn't you be sueing the race organiser, who would then be covered under their liability cover?

I thought if races were sanctioned by TA, that covered the RD under TA's insurance ( IIRC that used to be the case).

31 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I just had this discussion with my GF and she said they would have to go through TA generally to get the information as to who they need to sue.

In saying that reading the story she hasn't actually sued anyone yet.

46 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I thought if races were sanctioned by TA, that covered the RD under TA's insurance ( IIRC that used to be the case).

Exactly, so you would go the race director, not TA directly.

I think where it says in the article it's been referred to TAs insurers, those dudes will be looking very carefully at TAs liability and the race directors, whoever that is exactly - USM/WTC/ Luke Harrop Memorial Triathlon. 

8 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

I am surprised that there was only one injury in that race.  I was running along the road when two para triathletes who were obviously in a fierce battle racing side by side tore past me.  They had their heads down and if it wasn’t for other runners yelling out for us to move I would have been knocked over.  I was keeping left and had to jump onto the footpath to avoid them, as did several runners around me.  I know the lady in question, but not the specifics of her accident.  Just commenting on my personal experience that day.  

Agreed. There were some tight spots on that course.

I've never done it before, but it is a regular race on the calendar.  For those that have, was the course different from in the past?  Or was it over flooded with peeps because of the worlds??

Possibly higher numbers due to worlds, but it was also a duathlon. Did the crash happen on the first or second run?

56 minutes ago, -H- said:

Possibly higher numbers due to worlds, but it was also a duathlon. Did the crash happen on the first or second run?

I was wondering the same thing. The methodology used was for a dude on a MTB to ride in front of the para triathletes and yell out to everyone to get out of the way. Either the courses need to be looked at or the timing of the starts. 

Accident occurred coming into finish line so they would have been laying it on the line.  IIRC they were racing for a place on the com games team.   What are the rules in relation to overtaking on the run leg for a paratriathlete?  Do they have to go past in a certain time, because when they went past me they were side by side and remained as such as they disappeared into the distance.

An unintended consequence of this may be less races available for para athletes. 

• Sad 3

I thought the para triathletes would have the course to themselves? The race wheelies get first start at running races to make sure the rest of us don't get run over!

there are a lot of multi-lap races these days where the competitor density on the course is detrimental to the safety of competitors and the opportunities for fairness in the outcome. Personally, I have written to some RD's and copied SGB's (as the delegated sanctioning authorities) and point this out. Perhaps people need to not only vote with their credit cards but also tell the organisers why.

My personal mantra when organising events (in order of priority).

1. Is it safe?
  2. is it fair?
  3. is it fun?

notice that the "is it profitable?" - a necessity for the long-term viability of independent events come  4th (and by "profitable" I mean NOT making an over loss over a 4-year cycle).

As with many compensation claims, how many symptoms were pre existing ?

13 hours ago, roxii said:

An unintended consequence of this may be less races available for para athletes. 

Then the RD will get slapped with a case of discrimination, throw their hands in air and decide it's all too hard, then the race gets lost forever.

13 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

Accident occurred coming into finish line so they would have been laying it on the line.  IIRC they were racing for a place on the com games team.   What are the rules in relation to overtaking on the run leg for a paratriathlete?  Do they have to go past in a certain time, because when they went past me they were side by side and remained as such as they disappeared into the distance.

If they are on wheels, the sport would have to have the same drafting rules for the paras  as they do for the bike.  Lawyers will eat this if it is same, same but different.  Guess the sport has to argue drafting isn't about safety but to prevent advantage in terms of result. 

Fascinating case, dont agree with taking legal as you enter but people do it.  Each to their own I guess.

21 hours ago, -H- said:

So what are the specific on the leg and the placing on the course? 

3 hours ago, Turts said:

So what are the specific on the leg and the placing on the course? 

Coming into the finish.

I get the suing over loss of a ability to enjoy family activities etc. however the loss of income really should be minimal as I would hope that she would have adequate income protection and trauma insurance to cover herself. This is your own responability in life, although I do understand that some people may not be eligible due to health history. But if she wasn’t entitled to income protection due to health she could have obtained accident only income protection.

19 minutes ago, ashley_s said:

I get the suing over loss of a ability to enjoy family activities etc. however the loss of income really should be minimal as I would hope that she would have adequate income protection and trauma insurance to cover herself. This is your own responability in life, although I do understand that some people may not be eligible due to health history. But if she wasn’t entitled to income protection due to health she could have obtained accident only income protection.

Doesnt that only kick in if you can't work at all?  She is still working though at 1/5th capacity its still work..

And this is why I always think long and hard about taking a committee position in a club organisation.

7 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Doesnt that only kick in if you can't work at all?  She is still working though at 1/5th capacity its still work..

No income protection replaces a % of lost income. So if she can work a little bit they make up the difference. It is also possible if she is earning 1/5 of her pre disability income she could  receive all of her income protection payments on top of her work income.

Edited by ashley_s

On 02/07/2018 at 4:00 AM, trifun said:

My personal mantra when organising events (in order of priority).

1. Is it safe?
  2. is it fair?
  3. is it fun?

notice that the "is it profitable?" - a necessity for the long-term viability of independent events come  4th (and by "profitable" I mean NOT making an over loss over a 4-year cycle).

Did an OW swim race in Dublin on the weekend. 300 people, €10 entry and real pub carpark / fire a gun stuff .... missed the high tide and started 40 minutes late on the slack / receding tide and turned a swimmable 2 ft chop into a 7 ft swell. With inadequate planning, few marshals, one extraction point .... the still started the race.

I cruised through it at the back watching one swimmer who was in real trouble and got back to the beach to find they had pulled 80 swimmers from the race in boats and didn't realise I - and the other bloke - were still out there. They cancelled the women's race straight after. 

They had one chance to make the right decision .... immediately before the gun went off.