Made a comeback to triathlon last night at 70.3 Costa Rica. Won it in 3:49, including a 1:17 run split.

He has stated that his goal is Kona 2018, but with only 15-16 weeks to go, what is a realistic path for him to qualify? Or will the race organisers be sensible for a change and give him a pro start given the circumstances? That would be a First I know, but WTC have always reserved a discretionary right to gift pro entries (but to my knowledge have never exercised it before). 

• Like 1

They'd be crazy not to let him race. 

Will make a great story for them. 

• Like 8

he's a ****ing crazy machine. you cant help but be awe of the guy! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim jong-un said:

Not an American 

wont get a free start to Kona 

I thought you got a free entry the year you won it. You were busy winning the British Open & couldn't get in a qualifying race.

• Haha 2

Doesn't he do work with Red Bull.  That would be enough to get him in if they offer to do a big film promo for IM.

On 25/06/2018 at 7:12 AM, willie said:

he's a ****ing crazy machine. you cant help but be awe of the guy! 

Lovely bloke - turned up at our local Parkrun about 6 or 7 years ago and went around with Chrissie Wellington, Tom Lowe and Mo Farah .... all hung around for a chat afterwards when they really didn't have to.

• Like 2

Tim only needs to "validate" really, currently he is 51 on KPR points with 2900. As long as he finishes an IM in descent position (does not have to win it) He has enough points to qualify. He got most of his points from his 3rd place at 70.3 worlds last year (they count towards this Kona qualification) and now add in top up of points from past weekend. He probably needs about 600 more points (3500 points total) to make the first round cut off at the end of July (top 40 - taking out previous champions of past 5yrs that have auto/validation qualification, so Lange, Frodo, Sebi and possibly Freddie VL as he won in 2013.. that makes it roll down to 44 spot currently).  If he does not do an IM till later I am sure he will comfortably make the 2nd round cut off at end of August (remaining 10 slots). 

Hope that helps you all understand. As for next year though it is changing again. The point system is gone and it is going back to something similar to old system (or age group system) where if you do well in an IM you get to go to Kona rather than race a lot with OK results and accumulate points. This will more so ensure that the people that race Kona are the best athletes and not fatigued, injured or sick from chasing points. 

......and yes Tim is a cracking bloke, great athlete, intelligent, quick witted and funny. He is a Pom though....... 

Edited by auzzieluke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good to know Aussie Luke. However, with Frankfurt still to run and a bunch of other European IM races in July, I think that the rankings points are in for a big shake up. I’ve seen a lot of athletes who are ‘on the cusp’ miss out (or just scrap in) at the last moment. My gut tells me he needs 4000 to 4500 points to be safe. So a top 5 finish in an IM race plus another 500 or so points from another 70.3. Or a top 2 finish at 2000 point IM race. ....

You have any idea what his race schedule is between now and the end of the qualification period?

From the 220Triathlon website:

”In and exclusive interview with 220 earlier in the year Don revealed that after racing a 70.3 at the end of June (big tick) he would race either Zurich or Hamburg Ironman in July, which should, he hopes, give give him enough points to do Kona. But this does depend on the results.

"If I finish say 5th at Hamburg but I’m 22 minutes after the winner, then I don’t think I’ll go to Kona. If I go, I want to be where I believe I can be," he says.

Well given this last result only fools would bet against him achieving his dream. The road to Kona is open...”

So, likely IM Hamburg and he’s looking to be close enough to the winner there to justify in his own mind (ie. be competitive) a race start. 

21 hours ago, auzzieluke said:

Tim only needs to "validate" really, currently he is 51 on KPR points with 2900. As long as he finishes an IM in descent position (does not have to win it) He has enough points to qualify. He got most of his points from his 3rd place at 70.3 worlds last year (they count towards this Kona qualification) and now add in top up of points from past weekend. He probably needs about 600 more points (3500 points total) to make the first round cut off at the end of July (top 40 - taking out previous champions of past 5yrs that have auto/validation qualification, so Lange, Frodo, Sebi and possibly Freddie VL as he won in 2013.. that makes it roll down to 44 spot currently).  If he does not do an IM till later I am sure he will comfortably make the 2nd round cut off at end of August (remaining 10 slots). 

Hope that helps you all understand. As for next year though it is changing again. The point system is gone and it is going back to something similar to old system (or age group system) where if you do well in an IM you get to go to Kona rather than race a lot with OK results and accumulate points. This will more so ensure that the people that race Kona are the best athletes and not fatigued, injured or sick from chasing points. 

......and yes Tim is a cracking bloke, great athlete, intelligent, quick witted and funny. He is a Pom though....... 

Looks like auzzieluke is away from the family and bored .... well done on your second post, mate. Any plans to come through London on the way home?

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Looks like auzzieluke is away from the family and bored .... well done on your second post, mate. Any plans to come through London on the way home?

Just to derail I am indebted to Luke for his "pacing" me round LCW last year when I looked over whilst going for it and cramping and the bugger was breaststroking next to me. He's a good chap.

• Like 1

Rimmer I still have memories of you etched in my brain from years past so that is enough to keep me happy.... the warm beer there is also not pulling me in your direction either.

Monkie you did well considering the fine line you cut to get there that weekend! 3rd post now Rimmer... time to disappear again and just watch from afar. 

For those wanting to look more closely you can check out Thorsten Radde (@ThRadde) on Twitter as he does analytical analysis of most events and goes deep into Kona/qualification and is extremely accurate each year... most of the pros go off his data about where they are sitting and what is required. It is all data driven facts only. 

I hope Tim makes it. He is one of the good guys. Happy positive fella that loves the sport. Results do not make you a good person.. being a good person makes you a good person and he is well respected amongst his peers. 

Will catch you when your back in Melb Rimmer... we can do a reunion with the old crew. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, auzzieluke said:

Will catch you when your back in Melb Rimmer... we can do a reunion with the old crew. 

If you can bot your old man's wagon, I'll get Jimmy and Kev and we'll track Chiron down ... good times. Have a cracking race on the weekend.

• Like 1

I watched Tim Don Ironman Legend on you tube last night. I don't care if he wins Kona or not he  is my hero. I was totally inspired today and trained like Tim Don-that's my new saying to train like Tim Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1