Sign in to follow this  
RunBrettRun

Gold Coast Marathon

Anyone going around this weekend?

Ill be pacing in the marathon again, how far I'll get is anyones guess..

3 hr pacer?  I've got a mate who i reckon can go a 3 hr, but he thinks more than likely 3:10

I'm entered in the full but injured my knee a few weeks ago. Disappointed as I've put in more miles than I have in years. I'll give it as long as I can but I'm doubtful I'll be lining up for this one. Might be late switch to the half.

6 hours ago, The new guy said:

Im up there for work, but missed the boat on the marathon entires. Will be aiming for a Half mara PB.

If you’re still keen for the marathon, I just received an email that said they have a limited number of entries available (100 spots) from 12pm tomorrow:

https://goldcoastmarathon.com.au/races/marathon/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GCM18+-+100+marathon+entries+up+for+grabs&utm_content=goldcoastmarathon.com.au%2Fraces%2Fmarathon%2F&utm_source=www.vision6.com.au

1 hour ago, wombattri said:

If you’re still keen for the marathon, I just received an email that said they have a limited number of entries available (100 spots) from 12pm tomorrow:

https://goldcoastmarathon.com.au/races/marathon/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GCM18+-+100+marathon+entries+up+for+grabs&utm_content=goldcoastmarathon.com.au%2Fraces%2Fmarathon%2F&utm_source=www.vision6.com.au

Yep I just saw that as well! I'll give it a go!

10 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Anyone going around this weekend?

Ill be pacing in the marathon again, how far I'll get is anyones guess..

Let's hope it is better weather than Boston. Have a great run. Enjoy

In for the half. Unprepared, story of my life. 

Still a long way out for weather but looks like a bit of wind coming for the latter half of the marathon. 4 hour finishers might have have a stiff headwind for the last 5km. 

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

5 to 10mm of rain too.  14kmh wind at 9 at least it isnt 40 mph like the last race I did lol.

Hi Brett,

It looks like you're the 3 hour man which was my plan to get around (and hoping for a bonus under).  6 weeks ago was well on track but a wretched run since then has me upping my target by 5 mins each week.  A slither of hope for some salvation after a solid 2 week block has all but evaporated with further sickness in the past week and killed off any motivation for satisfaction for time based achievements. e.g, now having beers and pizza waiting for the Aus v Peru game - those that know me here is something I would never consider at this time (and underprepared).  Anyhow, I'm now in the 3.20 to 3.30 camp, which could well be a struggle (depending on how well AUS play tonight :) )

Cheers

p.s BOM forecast it has 1 to 8 @  60%, however your forecast might be better as yesterday the crap coming through was on the Friday, so it's slowing down, so worryingly it might land on the Sunday.

Yeah I'm up watching too.  Had 90min wind trainer in the morning so im doing it now so I can sleep in after being up till 2am lol

Sorry to hear about your prep,  if it's any chance I might be being pushed back to 3.10 as they only have 1 doing that pace and 3 on 3 hours.  Good luck.

Edited by RunBrettRun

Enjoy it up there everyone. I have a work mate running the half - his 3rd in a row with beers after it (he likes the idea of Beer Miles)

RBR, we need a photo of you running around in beard and balloons. I reckon you could get into any nightclub up there with that gear.

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1

Keep an eye out for these guys https://www.facebook.com/777marathons/. This will be their 7th marathon in 7 days in 7 states , all for a fantastic cause, Braveheart. I had the privilege of doing post run massage for them after number 1 and they had some great and sad reasons for doing this. Im really hoping that they all make it to the end so give them a heads up if you see them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

Enjoy it up there everyone. I have a work mate running the half - his 3rd in a row with beers after it (he likes the idea of Beer Miles)

RBR, we need a photo of you running around in beard and balloons. I reckon you could get into any nightclub up there with that gear.

FM

31k in last year

image.png.eb8c4f4710654add8a243d6ab2514cfc.png

• Like 1

An extract from Runners World interview with Andrew Lofthouse. 

0B329961-1684-4900-82D5-2A0066204307.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iFoz said:

An extract from Runners World interview with Andrew Lofthouse. 

0B329961-1684-4900-82D5-2A0066204307.jpeg

I had a similar experience in Sydney last year - started struggling, and a guy bouncing two basketballs while running passed me, trying to break a world record.  There was NO WAY I was getting beaten by a bloke who had to bounce B'balls for 42 ks!

Just saw your post on Insta RBR! Great job on achieving your goal. I’m sure others find it as inspiring as I do! 🙂

39 minutes ago, beginnergirl said:

Just saw your post on Insta RBR! Great job on achieving your goal. I’m sure others find it as inspiring as I do! 🙂

Thanks Beginnergirl.  Though from previous experience that post would be enough to get an unfollow from a few people on here 😂

At least there's no tippy toes.

• Haha 1

On 28/06/2018 at 2:31 PM, The new guy said:

I had a similar experience in Sydney last year - started struggling, and a guy bouncing two basketballs while running passed me, trying to break a world record.  There was NO WAY I was getting beaten by a bloke who had to bounce B'balls for 42 ks!

How did he go?

2 hours ago, mhvh said:

How did he go?

Dont know exactly, I think he would have broken 5 hours but the record for 2 sits at 3.54. That was set at about the same time though, so he may have held it temporarily.

Thats a bloody hard way to run a marathon.

1 minute ago, The new guy said:

Dont know exactly, I think he would have broken 5 hours but the record for 2 sits at 3.54. That was set at about the same time though, so he may have held it temporarily.

Thats a bloody hard way to run a marathon.

Did they enforce dribbling rules, or were they lax in that regard?

• Like 1

Wasnt what I was hoping for unfortunately pulled up at 32.  Body feels fine.  Anyone who saw what the Pacers wore might understand.  The back is solid plastic.  Allows no air flow and I just cooked.  Poured water down my back from the second aid station but it just got worse and worse and I might have lasted a few more k but decided it wasnt worth it with how my body felt.

If they keep the backpack/flag in future events I dont think ill pace again.  Which is a shame cause I have loved doing it.

Wasnt what I was hoping for unfortunately pulled up at 32.  Body feels fine.  Anyone who saw what the Pacers wore might understand.  The back is solid plastic.  Allows no air flow and I just cooked.  Poured water down my back from the second aid station but it just got worse and worse and I might have lasted a few more k but decided it wasnt worth it with how my body felt.

If they keep the backpack/flag in future events I dont think ill pace again.  Which is a shame cause I have loved doing it.

I saw your video. Looked ridiculous.

I'd this the first time they've done it this way?  What's wrong with a couple of balloons floating in the air?

Those things looked hideous Brett - pacing a marathon, particularly at your pace is tough in itself, but to carry that thing on your back as well must have been insane. Well done for toughing it out for 32km.

I was happy with my run - 3:21 official time (watch says 3:19?), but a clear PB anyway. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, goughy said:

I'd this the first time they've done it this way?  What's wrong with a couple of balloons floating in the air?

They used to not sure why the change.

I know one of the other 3.00 Pacers pulled the pin a lot earlier, maybe 20k in but not sure. I did put my straps on as tight as I could so it wouldnt move.  In hindsight that pulled it tight against my back and definitely meant airflow was restricted then the water I was pouring down just kept getting hotter.  Anyways... There was a lot of pacers who managed to finish despite this thing so cudos to them.  I'm disappointed in myself but I made a call and have to live with it now.

Well done everyone who was out there today, if they use the packs again next year I might come race instead.

2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

I don't think they'll have any pacers if they keep it based on all the complaints.. 

I saw you as you passed 30km and was cursing how easy you making it look.  It maybe looked like were slightly leaning fwd more but looked good to me.. guess looks were deceiving 

8 minutes ago, Kim jong-un said:

our rear 1:30 half pacer said never again.

I thought you were doing 1:30 for the full?

My day was disastrous as expected but sadly worse than plan D .but oh well.  Re the pacer outfit...that really stunk in Denmark.  Observation, by my mental arithmetic some of the pacers when into the 30k mark were more than expected to be in front and some would have created challenges for their band of merry men...not sure how many 4.00h people would have made it.  Perhaps that was due to the NYPD outfit strapped to the pacers.

Edited by GSP

Slumming it at a penthouse in Labrador. Most of our crew smashed it.

Mrs CN (I'm just going to run easy, oh shit my dodgy hammy has cramped walking to the start line) 1st in her AG (55-59) out of 129 in the 5.7km.

Miss CN (23, 2nd HM) and her "I Fn hate cardio & I hate Fn running" boyfriend (25, 1st ever running race, does an HM) asked me to write them a training program, and went 1:50 (6min PB) & 1:43 (I just want to break 2hrs) respectively.

Our mate James who has never competed in anything in his life and never done any formal exercise until the last year when he started cycling with us (and kicks our arses) busted out the 5.7km, 19th in his AG..

Miss CNs friend from school did the full mara in 4:24 and is not even hobbling (oh to be 23 again)

Me - not a single fish landed yet, but still 2 days to avoid getting skunked.

However, the highlight for me was these muppets in the carp hats.

And GC motorists are far more tolerant of cyclists than the @#$%s where I live who have NO TRAFFIC AT ALL TO DEAL WITH! Had a very pleasant ride y'day.

CarpMuppets.jpg

G&J.jpg

MTBView.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

We also noticed that in the full mara, many of the pacers had actually lost the flag off the pole, so it looked like they were running with a WW2 radio pack on.  But in the half mara, the flags seemed to stay put.  Different flags?  Or perhaps 21.1kms was their jolting limit and sometime after that they broke off?

11 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

We also noticed that in the full mara, many of the pacers had actually lost the flag off the pole, so it looked like they were running with a WW2 radio pack on.  But in the half mara, the flags seemed to stay put.  Different flags?  Or perhaps 21.1kms was their jolting limit and sometime after that they broke off?

I went through the water spray thing at 30k and it hit on that.  Was there something similar on the out and back in the final 10k that might have taken the flag off?