KieranR

NZ / AUS what am I?

I was born in NZ and lived there til I turned 6 then my parents moved to Australia, have been here ever since, have Aus citizenship since 1992.  I still call myself a kiwi and that will never change, my wife disagrees and thinks I should call myself an Aussie.  

I disagree obviously.  What do you think?

Kiwi.  Unless you sing or act, then you're clearly Aussie.

7 hours ago, KieranR said:

I was born in NZ and lived there til I turned 6 then my parents moved to Australia, have been here ever since, have Aus citizenship since 1992.  I still call myself a kiwi and that will never change, my wife disagrees and thinks I should call myself an Aussie.  

I disagree obviously.  What do you think?

Only you can decide that.  I know a lot of people say that if you've come here and taken advantage of all the benefits (better job, prospects etc) then you should go "all in". I think that's crap and ill always be a kiwi..  not willing to pay for citizenship and missed the previous criteria by 2 days of residence so.. 

The obvious question/ answer is who do you support in the rugby..

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Only you can decide that.  I know a lot of people say that if you've come here and taken advantage of all the benefits (better job, prospects etc) then you should go "all in". I think that's crap and ill always be a kiwi..  not willing to pay for citizenship and missed the previous criteria by 2 days of residence so.. 

The obvious question/ answer is who do you support in the rugby..

Ummm I actually don't follow rugby at all. does that make me neither Aussie or Kiwi :) 

45 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Ummm I actually don't follow rugby at all. does that make me neither Aussie or Kiwi :) 

netball?

league?

lawn Bowls?

48 minutes ago, KieranR said:

NZ

Good call. The black uniform is much cooler..

50 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I don't think they'll have you then.

1 hour ago, pieman said:

netball?

league?

lawn Bowls?

NZ

NZ

NZ

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I don't think they'll have you then.

haha this is possible

My wife is still carrying on about it this morning, reckons i should have gone back when i turned 18 - i tried, she wouldnt come with me nor would she leave me haha

I was born in the UK (sorry), came here as a teenager, but now identify as an Aussie. I spent 8 years as a kid living in Fiji too. The day I realised I was Aussie, was when I was in New York and heard some Australian accents and recognised them as my own. Do you feel a similar thing when you hear a Kiwi accent? It's good to hold on to your roots, but culturally I would say you're Australian.  

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Who do you intend to represent in 2020?

2 hours ago, KieranR said:

NZ

Will the fact you're qualifying as a nz'er have any affect on you qualifying?  I'm gathering not, since it's not ITU.  

And you just answered the question of "what are you"

8 minutes ago, goughy said:

Will the fact you're qualifying as a nz'er have any affect on you qualifying?  I'm gathering not, since it's not ITU.  

And you just answered the question of "what are you"

Yeah, i thought the same as you when i saw that question, its 70.3 so doesn't matter, if i were to ever try qualify for ITU type stuff it would be for NZ, not out of perception that it would be easier, pretty sure it wouldn't be.

12 minutes ago, zed said:

I was born in the UK (sorry), came here as a teenager, but now identify as an Aussie. I spent 8 years as a kid living in Fiji too. The day I realised I was Aussie, was when I was in New York and heard some Australian accents and recognised them as my own. Do you feel a similar thing when you hear a Kiwi accent? It's good to hold on to your roots, but culturally I would say you're Australian.  

My mum's accent has never changed, my little brother has a kiwi accent i reckon, though others dont think he does, my dad and the other brother type person related to me dont have kiwi accents anymore and mine isn't either.  Culturally i reckon you're right Zed, having grown up here, schooled, married etc etc.  I just can't / won't accept not being classified as a kiwi, much to my wife's disgust :) :) even my current passport is Australian, but this is the last Aussie passport I'll have, as I'm getting older its becoming more important to me to that Im a kiwi and having things like a kiwi passport are what should be done...not that it makes bugger all difference in the grand scheme of things.

1 minute ago, KieranR said:

Yeah, i thought the same as you when i saw that question, its 70.3 so doesn't matter, if i were to ever try qualify for ITU type stuff it would be for NZ, not out of perception that it would be easier, pretty sure it wouldn't be.

Qualifying as a NZer but not living there can be difficult for popular ITU races, you only get considered if there are not enough residents wanting the spots. 

I think it comes down to what you want to tell your kids. As they are Australians, do you want to be different?.

2 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

Qualifying as a NZer but not living there can be difficult for popular ITU races, you only get considered if there are not enough residents wanting the spots. 

I think it comes down to what you want to tell your kids. As they are Australians, do you want to be different?.

yeah ITU is not on my radar, never been interested in that style of racing to be honest.

Kids are well informed of where im from etc, and are heavily involved with my family who still remain in NZ, its important for me and my wife that our kids know the whole family story, my daughter is nearly 9 and has been to NZ i think 11 times now.  She calls herself a kiwi, but we set her straight and tell her shes Australian, although she is automatically an NZ citizen due to me being born there (I've checked with NZ immigration)

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

My mum's accent has never changed, my little brother has a kiwi accent i reckon, though others dont think he does, my dad and the other brother type person related to me dont have kiwi accents anymore and mine isn't either.  Culturally i reckon you're right Zed, having grown up here, schooled, married etc etc.  I just can't / won't accept not being classified as a kiwi, much to my wife's disgust :) :) even my current passport is Australian, but this is the last Aussie passport I'll have, as I'm getting older its becoming more important to me to that Im a kiwi and having things like a kiwi passport are what should be done...not that it makes bugger all difference in the grand scheme of things.

It's important to hold onto your roots, I think you can be a proud Australian and a proud Kiwi. I've got rugby mates that have kiwi parents, they were born and brought up in Perth, but they have Kiwi accents, fervent supporters of the ABs and would never consider themselves Australian. I don't have a problem with that. But it's not something I would do.

I'm having the same dilemma ... proud Aussie and left at 33 to live in the UK. Became a British Citizen in 2013 and married an Irish girl. I live part the week in London and the weekends in Dublin. For me, at the moment, it's a tax thing as I can't spend more than 183 days in Ireland (or 240 days in any rolling, 2 year period) without being an Irish tax resident. Will always support Australia in sport. 

We're having a kid in November and he / she will have access to Aussie, Brit and Irish passports - the wife isn't happy about the British one as they still haven't gotten over something that happened 60 years before she was born!

For us, it's about having all of the advantages, but I have been struggling with my own identity as well recently.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KieranR said:

Yeah, i thought the same as you when i saw that question, its 70.3 so doesn't matter,

Yeah, I get that, but I really meant how will you identify at the race, not qualify. If there were uniforms available, would you wear theirs or ours?

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeah, I get that, but I really meant how will you identify at the race, not qualify. If there were uniforms available, would you wear theirs or ours?

NZ for sure ex.

9 hours ago, KieranR said:

NZ for sure ex.

Then you've answered your own question.

• Like 2

Your motivation for the question and responses (on reading) sounds like to garner support on your perspective (which is entirely reasonable), however my curiosity asks if not that then what are you hoping the input from this discussion will achieve? 

I'm only responding as my wife is NZ born and moved to AUS in 2002 gaining citizenship and all the jazz.  Sovereignty has never really been a topic of conversion.  Sarah (my wife) respects her roots but associates with the country she is in as well as the sprogs we've spawned, so sounds like in a different space to what you are in.

1 hour ago, GSP said:

Your motivation for the question and responses (on reading) sounds like to garner support on your perspective (which is entirely reasonable), however my curiosity asks if not that then what are you hoping the input from this discussion will achieve? 

I'm only responding as my wife is NZ born and moved to AUS in 2002 gaining citizenship and all the jazz.  Sovereignty has never really been a topic of conversion.  Sarah (my wife) respects her roots but associates with the country she is in as well as the sprogs we've spawned, so sounds like in a different space to what you are in.

I asked the question to see what other people’s thoughts are, no other reason at all, my wife disagrees with me and I disagree with her (common theme in our relationship at the moment 😂), so just thought I’d put it out there.  We’ve agreed to disagree.  I’ve shown her all the responses & she agrees with Zeds response the most so far and probably your wife’s thoughts also.

cheers

Labels! We're obsessed with them as a society. Are you Kiwi / Australian / Pom? Are you straight? Gay? Bi? Are you leftwing, rightwing, liberal, or conservative? None of these are very useful labels... cheer for who you want at sport, have the passport that gets you the most rights / access or makes you feel happy. We're people.