AA7

IM France

They're trying something new with a live race feed on Facebook. Seems to be going ok so far.

Cam Wurf and Mel H should do well.

Just checked in, coverage still going well it seems.

I've had a few drop outs but otherwise ok. I'd blame the dropouts on the NBN before ironman live.

10 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Coverage working.  Apparently the blues won.  Thanks for the update Alison..

😂😂

Mel H out of the race.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, AA7 said:

Mel H out of the race.

Anything about why? She was stomping early in the ride. 

8 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Anything about why? She was stomping early in the ride. 

Haven't heard. She raced hard last week though.

But her record remains I think, has won every ironman that she finished. Someone can fact check me on that. FB????

Cam Wurf seems to have a real problem with backing up his uber bike with sustaining the 4min/km pace for the whole marathon that is his strategy to run 2:50. 

It takes a long time to build the running strength to hold on in the back half of a an Ironman marathon. Atheletes who mange to do that shortly after taking up Ironman usually have a decade long (or more) history of long distance running. Witness Craig Alexander. His long day was 30km in the morning, backing up with another 12km in the afternoon. He did that for a decade before switching to Ironman. 

Cameron’s approach is to treat most of his Ironman races as ‘catered’ training days and he does about 8-9 such races a year. The problem seems to be that regardless of whether he is doing a ‘training day’ ironman or a targeted race he is stuck at around the 3 hour mark for the marathon. Each one he starts off at 4min/km but at some stage the wheels fall off and he crawls home in just over 3 hours.

He needs a new strategy. Perhaps do way less Ironman races each year. Say 4. For two of them, treat them as training days BUT don’t go au bloc on the bike. Sit up in the second pack of pros and aim to run through the field staying strong for the whole marathon. Get his body used to that feeling at being below or at 4minute pace the whole way.

the other thing is that, certain freaks aside, running a fast Ironman marathon is not a linear process. Van Lierde ran well the whole way last night for a 2:44 marathon split. He started off at 3:49 pace, but this slowly slipped to bang on 4 minutes for the last 5km. Cameron wants a 2:50 split I think he needs to go out in 3:55 pace for the first half and learn to hang touch at no worse than 4:05 for the second half. Taking it super easy on the bike for the next couple of Ironman races until he achieves that 2:50 split should be his goal.

i think he has IM Sweden and Wales on his calendar before Kona. Sweden especially would be an excellent race to try that strategy.

59 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Cam Wurf seems to have a real problem with backing up his uber bike with sustaining the 4min/km pace for the whole marathon that is his strategy to run 2:50. 

It takes a long time to build the running strength to hold on in the back half of a an Ironman marathon. Atheletes who mange to do that shortly after taking up Ironman usually have a decade long (or more) history of long distance running. Witness Craig Alexander. His long day was 30km in the morning, backing up with another 12km in the afternoon. He did that for a decade before switching to Ironman. 

Cameron’s approach is to treat most of his Ironman races as ‘catered’ training days and he does about 8-9 such races a year. The problem seems to be that regardless of whether he is doing a ‘training day’ ironman or a targeted race he is stuck at around the 3 hour mark for the marathon. Each one he starts off at 4min/km but at some stage the wheels fall off and he crawls home in just over 3 hours.

He needs a new strategy. Perhaps do way less Ironman races each year. Say 4. For two of them, treat them as training days BUT don’t go au bloc on the bike. Sit up in the second pack of pros and aim to run through the field staying strong for the whole marathon. Get his body used to that feeling at being below or at 4minute pace the whole way.

the other thing is that, certain freaks aside, running a fast Ironman marathon is not a linear process. Van Lierde ran well the whole way last night for a 2:44 marathon split. He started off at 3:49 pace, but this slowly slipped to bang on 4 minutes for the last 5km. Cameron wants a 2:50 split I think he needs to go out in 3:55 pace for the first half and learn to hang touch at no worse than 4:05 for the second half. Taking it super easy on the bike for the next couple of Ironman races until he achieves that 2:50 split should be his goal.

i think he has IM Sweden and Wales on his calendar before Kona. Sweden especially would be an excellent race to try that strategy.

Unless he keeps some workouts off Strava (which he may well do), he doesn't run nearly enough for his running to be a factor in big Ironman races. 

Awesome cyclist, though.

33 minutes ago, xblane said:

image.thumb.png.f9ae642be5ba2685dc22f066d3213dc9.png

Big field this year :o

Exactly what I found, hence the question.

And another question, how do you pronounce that athletes name? Is it like Prince when he was known as the symbol or something :)

Edited by Notsofast
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Notsofast said:

Did Lance come second?

Lance is so awesome he finished 7 years ago!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Notsofast said:

Did Lance come second?

Pretty sure it was @Kim jong-un

he blamed on all the maccas he had to eat whilst meeting with Trump. 

• Haha 1

On 25/06/2018 at 4:45 PM, Kim jong-un said:

I won Ironman France when I was doing my schooling in Switzerland. 17 times. 

Your winners trophy is tiny, like really really tiny. I have a much bigger trophy.