I need this

3 hours ago, Flanman said:

You really need to get a life. 🤪

but according to my students that is what the internet is for 😁

I bought one of those mini pumps with a bluetooth linked pressure sensor too  😎

but held off on the $700+ "Hero" track pump 😮

Edited by trifun
  • Haha 1

I am clueless as to why you would need a torque wrench for in the first place.

whats wrong with a normal allen key.

#gimmicks to suck your walllet dry. I’m with Flanman.

Edited by IronmanFoz
Typo

I need a torque wrench, its on my shopping list. Ive got allen keys but they dont tell me anything. I need to know how strong I am so I dont over tighten or strip threads. Actually ... the latter is a different 'issue' 😒

11 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I am clueless as to why you would need a torque wrench for in the first place.

whats wrong with a normal allen key.

#gimmicks to suck your walllet dry. I’m with Flanman.

The only people who need a torque wrench are generally people with no previous mechanical experience and have no "feel" - it's not like you're going to be tightening the head bolts on your Ferrari - I think for an amateur bike mechanic there's a place for this tool - it's a bit like automatic transmissions on trucks - the population is becoming de-skilled 😪  

11 minutes ago, AP said:

The only people who need a torque wrench are generally people with no previous mechanical experience and have no "feel"

sounds like I should get one :D

I work in IT and gave up the hardware side years ago because I can manage to mess up a hot swap-able hard drive :s 

My bike deserves more love than I can give 😢

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

buy it because it is beautifully crafted :)

use it to attach bidon cages to your Bianchi SF01 🤑

8 hours ago, AP said:

The only people who need a torque wrench are generally people with no previous mechanical experience and have no "feel" - it's not like you're going to be tightening the head bolts on your Ferrari - I think for an amateur bike mechanic there's a place for this tool - it's a bit like automatic transmissions on trucks - the population is becoming de-skilled 😪  

so basically 99.9% of triathletes

• Like 1

As some one with zero mechanical aptitude and experience I use a torque wrench on my carbon bike.

im a carpenter by trade and have built more bikes than I care to remember.

i still use a torque wrench for funky seat post binders, stems, bars and cranks at the very least. 

10 hours ago, roxii said:

im a carpenter by trade and have built more bikes than I care to remember.

i still use a torque wrench for funky seat post binders, stems, bars and cranks at the very least. 

I'm with Roxi (as a Technician by trade we were always taught the importance of using the right tool, of reasonable quality and well maintained - for the job). Carbon frames and good bits are expensive - why risk them. If my LBS said they worked on my 10k pride'n'joy (not that anyone has ever touched it) by "feel" I'd be going down the street.

• Like 1

Shit, even I bought one once I had a carbon bike!  Wasn't dear.  I'm assuming there's a reason they have suggested torque measurements written all over my bike and cranks, bars and such?  I'm clearly more heavy handed and don't have the delicate touch of AP and don't wanna guess by feel the difference between 4, 7, 12 and 14nm.  I've even had one used in my mouth, while awake.

23 hours ago, AP said:

You develop feel either by trial and error (ie, breaking stuff) or using a torque wrench to ar  what 7 V 9 V 12 nm feels like.

When my bits have those numbers written on them, I'll use a torque wrench if I'm at home. Helps build "feel" and saves expensive parts.

Edited by Turts

I always use a torque wrench on anything bike related, especially the critical parts (steering, braking). I know guys who can build a perfectly laced up wheel based on "feel", but if my LBS uses one, I do as well. I am just not that able.

I'm with AP on this topic, have done years of loosening/tightening/replacing and never broken any bike components as a result of misuse going from novice to dabbler.  Have I got it dead eye dick on every occasion - probably not, but have I been within 10 to 20% of acceptable levels - I can't be 100% certain but I'm pretty confident I have.  

If you're doing it for a living then sure, otherwise....really, it's not hard to tighten up to what is satisfactory, particularly when travelling for a race where you redo you work a short time later.

Obviously the people here who dont use them have never had a cervelo aero seatpost....

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, GSP said:

I'm with AP on this topic, have done years of loosening/tightening/replacing and never broken any bike components as a result of misuse going from novice to dabbler.  Have I got it dead eye dick on every occasion - probably not, but have I been within 10 to 20% of acceptable levels - I can't be 100% certain but I'm pretty confident I have.  

If you're doing it for a living then sure, otherwise....really, it's not hard to tighten up to what is satisfactory, particularly when travelling for a race where you redo you work a short time later.

Did you break a seat post on the Gold Coast with The Customer once?

• Like 1