japay1

Training solo

Hi all. Due to time and location constraints I'm forced to do all my session's solo. I'm just trying to get some tips on how to stay accountable particularly during the hard or long sessions, and was wondering if anyone has any pieces of advice for the completely solo grind. Thanks

Trainerroad/Zwift 

Podcasts to learn while training

Swim toys to keep things interesting. Throw in IM and/or kick if you can

• Like 1

99% of training I have ever done has been Solo.  

Advice - Keep it simple.  Focus on the controllables not the gadgets,  Enjoy the process. Run and ride different routes or do them in reverse.  Accountability just comes from ticking the boxes.    

Everyone is different though. 

As wise man can found alone and a weak man can be found in a crowd.

Edited by Fitness Buddy
  • Like 1

I’ll assume bike is biggest concern? I must always have a clear structure to my sessions. If not it’s so easy to coast or cut short sessions. I upload all my ‘workoouts’ to Garmin - for me I have trouble saying no to my 520.

I personally love running solo, it’s meditative for me and I have no issues in doing what I need to do so cannot comment there. 

Swimming sucks either way.......squads are better though so good luck on that. Some really good stuff posted recently with Andrew, Zed and crew having some great workouts tips etc. 

• Like 1

Due to shift work (and not really liking people) I do most of my training alone.  I'm my opinion you just have to know what has to be done for the session you are doing and make yourself accountable to achieve it. 

This served me well when I used to train. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fitness Buddy said:

As wise man can found alone and a weak man can be found in a crowd.

I agree with this.  But use your gadgets.  Life is boring AF without them!

Screenshot_20180623-200037.png

1 hour ago, lachie94 said:

Trainerroad/Zwift 

Podcasts to learn while training

Swim toys to keep things interesting. Throw in IM and/or kick if you can

This, and also posting your sessions on Strava I find makes me accountable. A lot of times when I’m half through a ride or a run and feel like stopping it’s amazibg how the thought of everyone being able to see that I quit gives me all the motivation I need to keep going.

9 minutes ago, more said:

This, and also posting your sessions on Strava I find makes me accountable. A lot of times when I’m half through a ride or a run and feel like stopping it’s amazibg how the thought of everyone being able to see that I quit gives me all the motivation I need to keep going.

What you do is post half your session and do the rest without them knowing.  Then when the see you next they will underestimate you.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mhvh said:

I agree with this.  But use your gadgets.  Life is boring AF without them!

Screenshot_20180623-200037.png

Really.  Rather then paying to use zwift I watch and/or listen to dvds to educate myself in regards to helping others.  Nothing boring in that called being proactive 

17 minutes ago, more said:

Do 99% solo. All the above works. Also the biggest change I did heading i to Port was to make each session purposeful. Using zwift gives a really structured option for riding, and I did long rides and recovery on road. Adding Fartlek or track sessions to running. Doing drills and sets in swimming. It keeps it fresh, and when you start a session with a specific goal to accomplish, rather than just 'going for a ride' you are more likely to focus on achieving it.

Use a power meter and/or heart rate monitor and/or GPS. It is hard to push your self when training alone.

2 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Really.  Rather then paying to use zwift I watch and/or listen to dvds to educate myself in regards to helping others.  Nothing boring in that called being proactive 

FB, that is cool.  But the dude doesn't want to train others.  He is training alone and wants to know best how to keep himself accountable.  I reckon that using Strava, GPS, Power Metre and whatever else you have at your disposal makes it more fun and at the same time helps keep you accountable to yourself. 

Edited by mhvh
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, japay1 said:

Hi all. Due to time and location constraints I'm forced to do all my session's solo. I'm just trying to get some tips on how to stay accountable particularly during the hard or long sessions, and was wondering if anyone has any pieces of advice for the completely solo grind. Thanks

You can post in our What Training You Did Today - pre & post. Trannies will keep you accountable 

• Like 2

Zwift, Trainer Road, good old fashioned intervals without them and running find ok solo. Swimming can get it done, find it harder to swim as well or fast without people to push. That is more than mental, it is the benefit of swimming with faster people

8 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

What did people before zwift and strava.   The mind boggles

Dude it’s not the 80s anymore. The worlds moved on... you’ve had you’re say on this over and over and all it’s doing is hurting your credibility. We get it, you don’t like this stuff and that’s ok. Each to their own.

They are very good tools for a lot of people and if it’s what makes them train better then it’s great. It’s an individual thing and each to their own. People do things differently, where all wired differently and technology is what some people need to get the job done. 

Maybe you need to be more accepting of this way of thinking and doing things? I know I’ve had to learn and adapt my way of thinking in the last 12 years coaching I’ve even embraced  a lot of tech because it definitely aids better performance  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

The trainer without zwift and strava is fine. Zwift makes it more interesting and easier to work harder as you get feedback all the time.

Some people don't need that. Strava is less useful and think it has some factors that are bad for training. Segments driving gaming behaviour and people being dishonest. Not a great training aid

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

How did people complain about technology online before they invented the internet. The mind boggles ;)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, willie said:

Dude it’s not the 80s anymore. The worlds moved on... you’ve had you’re say on this over and over and all it’s doing is hurting your credibility. We get it, you don’t like this stuff and that’s ok. Each to their own.

They are very good tools for a lot of people and if it’s what makes them train better then it’s great. It’s an individual thing and each to their own. People do things differently, where all wired differently and technology is what some people need to get the job done. 

Maybe you need to be more accepting of this way of thinking and doing things? I know I’ve had to learn and adapt my way of thinking in the last 12 years coaching I’ve even embraced  a lot of tech because it definitely aids better performance  

I get you but the whole ****ing reliance on technology is amazing.  We still need to be able to connect with the real world which many can't.  Hence why so much mental issues today.  Gadgets are a great tool but so is your body.  How much time do people invest in that.  

We constantly hear about my gps didn't work, battery went flat, it ruined my race.  

Honestly how many people actually go out and swim bike or run without a device. Athletes need to reconnect with themselves don't become solely reliant on the gadgets which many do.  

Out of interest how many times do you (athletes) look at your watch when you run? 

IMO the sport only attracts the wealthy because they look at others and think they need all this fancy shit.  

Having been to schools during summer with TRI VIC when you asked the kids had they done a kids tri before there wasn't many hands up and those who did were generally those with fit bits on their wrists.  

Rather then creating a sport which is about fitness and a healthy lifestyle we have created a commercial enterprise based around how much money you can spend to look the part.  

Interestingly I offered some free training for some athletes on a FB private page.  Not one taker.  But if I offered a free garmin I would of been swamped.  We have become obessed with buying not creating.  

Like it or not, welcome to the world today!  Maybe it'll be our ruination, maybe it won't.  There were plenty of mental issues before tech came into our worlds.

I have been a constant example that you can do this without a lot of money in today's age!  Basically not that dissimilar to what a lot of these guys were doing in the 90's (is that really that old) and they were fast when tri was still tough.  Turn up to a BRW (or what ever the corporate tri is called this year) and see the kmart mountain bikes and helmets on backwards etc.  Remember, this site is filled with only one little portion of the tri market - and in a lot of cases it's those that do wanna take things to the next level!  And many are willing to pay for it.

And I'll add, hats off to any of ya's who can train solo - I hate it.  But my training time is my social time and sitting on the trainer, I worry about answering the voices in my head.

31 minutes ago, more said:

How did people complain about technology online before they invented the internet. The mind boggles ;)

Letters to the Editor!

• Like 1

I only train solo, not that anyone is chasing my times ;) I enjoy the alone time and somewhere in there you get to train the voices that come up in the dark times of a race.

I have found zwift helpful for structuring my sessions, in particular longer ones when I'd usually have the tendency to "take it easy, this is longer". 

1 hour ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Generally trained in groups...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Computrainer super under-whelming graphics for hours on end with the same data as zwift gives!

Its been interesting watching the "zwift craze" but, in its most simplistic form, its just an extension on what many of us were already doing and recording in a pen and paper training diary. Kids these days... 😉

9 minutes ago, trilobite said:

Maybe see if Chewie can help

549C6849-D1D2-4600-B7A6-E5D5E53173BF.jpeg

"These aren't the training partners you are looking for..."

49 minutes ago, Tossacoin said:

"These aren't the training partners you are looking for..."

Since IM is 90% mental and this guy didn’t fall for Jedi mind tricks, I can only surmise he was a good athlete...

DCC22977-A78B-4B70-9EB2-B70FBA63A710.jpeg

Don't look at is as a negative. Think how lucky you are to have the opportunity to have this much time to yourself. 

I love training alone, and in groups. Mixing it up is what it's all about but if you're stuck on your own then like everybody has said, use any tools that work for you. Trainerroad has been a game changer for my cycle leg. If it helps then stick everything else in your Garmin and chase the "Workout Completed". 

The hardest one I find is swimming. So tempting to drop a couple of laps at the end. Nothing for it except to toughen up, or sometimes make a deal with yourself about using a pull buoy or doing some breaststroke / backstroke.

• Like 2

My training season starts tomorrow after a layoff from Port. This upcoming season will be my 30th year in this sport. Apar from 5 or 6 years, all of my training has been alone. 

It is hard by yourself however, these things have helped me immensely:-

* set yourself short, medium and long term objectvies

* be positive and make it a way of life, intertwined with a REAL life

* enjoy/reward yourself with the good tough deliveries and learn from the issues 

* read a lot and try different things, and more importantly 

* get a like minded buddy or two to talk specifically about training a number of times a week. This can be a coach or mates.

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

I get you but the whole ****ing reliance on technology is amazing.  We still need to be able to connect with the real world which many can't.  Hence why so much mental issues today.  Gadgets are a great tool but so is your body.  How much time do people invest in that.  

We constantly hear about my gps didn't work, battery went flat, it ruined my race.  

Honestly how many people actually go out and swim bike or run without a device. Athletes need to reconnect with themselves don't become solely reliant on the gadgets which many do.  

Out of interest how many times do you (athletes) look at your watch when you run? 

IMO the sport only attracts the wealthy because they look at others and think they need all this fancy shit.  

Having been to schools during summer with TRI VIC when you asked the kids had they done a kids tri before there wasn't many hands up and those who did were generally those with fit bits on their wrists.  

Rather then creating a sport which is about fitness and a healthy lifestyle we have created a commercial enterprise based around how much money you can spend to look the part.  

Interestingly I offered some free training for some athletes on a FB private page.  Not one taker.  But if I offered a free garmin I would of been swamped.  We have become obessed with buying not creating.  

Measurement and data is great, learning how to go by RPE is great. Did you offer a free garmin?

3 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Measurement and data is great, learning how to go by RPE is great. Did you offer a free garmin?

Can't offer as never had one.  Have suunto but never use it

11 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Not everyone who uses tech says something like this.

Plenty of peeps use the tech to their advantage, yet aren't ruined like u said.

Try not to let a few ruin it for the majority - or ur perception of such.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Can't offer as never had one.  Have suunto but never use it

Sell it then, or give it away

Edited by Turts

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Sell it then, or give it away

Yup, pay it forward bro.

13 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

So your saying kids with technical aids are more likely to be active. Why would you argue against there use when childhood obesity is such an issue? Any driver of active participation is a winner. 

Edited by The new guy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The new guy said:

So your saying kids with technical aids are more likely to be active. Why would you argue against there use when childhood obesity is such an issue? Any driver of active participation is a winner. 

Nope.  Kids are not more active today with technical aids because they play with these things instead of doing shit.  They may get the opportunity to be more active in regards to participate in sports though due to their economic situation.  

3 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Nope.  Kids are not more active today with technical aids because they play with these things instead of doing shit.  They may get the opportunity to be more active in regards to participate in sports though due to their economic situation.  

Do your kids have techy things

18 hours ago, Flanman said:

My training season starts tomorrow after a layoff from Port. This upcoming season will be my 30th year in this sport. Apar from 5 or 6 years, all of my training has been alone. 

* enjoy/reward yourself with the good tough deliveries and learn from the issues 

* get a like minded buddy or two to talk specifically about training a number of times a week. This can be a coach or mates.

FM

This actually more like the reality you should aim for JAYPAY1. I'm like Flanno, but we live a thousand k's apart. You need that occassional contact with other Tri folk but in the main, training by yourself can be very rewarding. 

Im a solo trainer, Location dictates that, but I'm not really into people so training with others has never really been high on my agenda (there goes that social awkwardness feeling again)

I actually enjoy training solo, sometimes i have my tech, sometimes not (ill never be on top of the trannies strava board)., if its something like big gear grinds on the bike, i wont turn the tech on, if i need to be hitting numbers and i dont have the "feel" for it just yet then I'll turn it on.

I can't really comment on aids to help, I just go out and do it, sometimes i suck at the session, sometimes i don't.

• Like 2

This is so true - I know some people who are getting slower but measuring more - they've become data junkies :whistling:

This is the best post on this thread - it's "the way" - most people lose sight of the fact that most of us are in this sport for the healthy lifestyle and mateship - I too have been in this sport for over 30yrs - early years I did a lot of training alone and it was strong goals that got me through - I would still join a group for long Sunday rides

Over the past 20yrs I have used meeting people to keep me consistent - and when you step back and examine what you actually get out of this sport, it's different for many, but for me the social contact is very important - we even get together with the rest of the squad at the "end of ride coffee" when we're having a layoff after an IM - the social contact is keeping a lot of people I know in the sport 

If you have to train alone make sure you have very clear goals and have a coach who reads your feedback, so you have someone to answer to - I have had solo trainers in remote locations KQ on many occasions - but they had strong goals 😎

I've always really trained on my own. 70.3's, IM's, all solo.

I've got to the stage where it got a little bit boring so I joined my local tri group a few weeks back, yet to go to a session, but once the training starts to ramp up I will.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2018 at 2:54 AM, Fitness Buddy said:

How many kids of your own do you have FB?

In relation to kids no I do not have kids but I have coached and been too many schools in former and past work and seen how things has evolved. Kids today spend more time with their heads looking at a screen then doing something worthwhile.  We have kids strutting around with headphones unaware of their surrounds and being unable to connect with the real world.  

I seen three kids this morning when running at a bus stop all with their heads in their phones, I stopped and said how you actually chat with other person and connect with them face to face.  Maybe make a real new friend.  

I have sisters with kids and they are both being brought up differently.  One sister allows her kids to play video games, eat what they want.  They lounge around when not a school, no sport, always either watching movies or playing video games.  One day when visiting I actually made the a billy cart type thing with skateboard and boxes and it is amazing how much they actually enjoyed it.  Just fun using their bodies and creativity.  My other sister is bringoing her son up differently.  No lollies to shut them up.  No video games,  He plays soccer and loves lego (not the new stuff but the old stuff) he likes to explore and create.  He even made his own computer one day and took it to show and tell.  He is able to connect with people, has repsect for others and is caring.  He has not brainwashed persona which kids have today.  This kid is smart and way beyond my other sisters kids in terms of social connection, energy levels, and zest for life.

I honestly could give a **** what you think.  I sit back and observe and have seen how things have changed.  Yes technology exists but when it changes who you are then it is a real problem.  Even though I am not a parent, I know one thing I would never ever turn it into a competition to see if I can out do other parents in regards to what they have.  Today it is about what you have materially not what you from a personal aspect (Respect for others is the main one).  

Edited by Fitness Buddy

14 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

In relation to kids no I do not have kids but I have coached and been too many schools in former and past work and seen how things has evolved. Kids today spend more time with their heads looking at a screen then doing something worthwhile.  We have kids strutting around with headphones unaware of their surrounds and being unable to connect with the real world.  

I seen three kids this morning when running at a bus stop all with their heads in their phones, I stopped and said how you actually chat with other person and connect with them face to face.  Maybe make a real new friend.  

I have sisters with kids and they are both being brought up differently.  One sister allows her kids to play video games, eat what they want.  They lounge around when not a school, no sport, always either watching movies or playing video games.  One day when visiting I actually made the a billy cart type thing with skateboard and boxes and it is amazing how much they actually enjoyed it.  Just fun using their bodies and creativity.  My other sister is bringoing her son up differently.  No lollies to shut them up.  No video games,  He plays soccer and loves lego (not the new stuff but the old stuff) he likes to explore and create.  He even made his own computer one day and took it to show and tell.  He is able to connect with people, has repsect for others and is caring.  He has not brainwashed persona which kids have today.  This kid is smart and way beyond my other sisters kids in terms of social connection, energy levels, and zest for life.

I honestly could give a **** what you think.  I sit back and observe and have seen how things have changed.  Yes technology exists but when it changes who you are then it is a real problem.  Even though I am not a parent, I know one thing I would never ever turn it into a competition to see if I can out do other parents in regards to what they have.  Today it is about what you have materially not what you from a personal aspect (Respect for others is the main one).  

Hey Fb, remember the cranky old guy up the street when you were growing up....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Hey Fb, remember the cranky old guy up the street when you were growing up....

Nope I don't mate too busy playing cricket or kicking a ball.  Getting dirty, 

Maybe I should get an I phone, garmin, kickr, zwift, strava, drink coffee, Bluetooth headphones and then I will fit in.  

All I did was give my opinion on the original post and gave my view from my experience then get 

On 24/06/2018 at 10:26 PM, The new guy said:

Fitbits don't increase activity it just tells you did something.  Kid activity is done by just doing.  Obesity can correlate more to what we do in rewarding kids with junk food.  

Its ok to have an opinion mate, when you start stopping on a run to tell off some kids in a bus stop thats going to the grumpy old man level.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Its ok to have an opinion mate, when you start stopping on a run to tell off some kids in a bus stop thats going to the grumpy old man level.

Maybe not one of those kids might one day think I think that man was right.  

I wasn't demonstrative about I just suggest it will help them develop outside the screen.  They might end up in a CS Role one day and need to be able to communicate with real people face to face.