Sign in to follow this  
iFoz

Coeur d’Alene 70.3

I’ve pasted the race report into this first post and bumped the original content to the bottom so the replies make sense.

Thursday
Arrived at Spokane airport 10:30pm to be greeted by my mate with a big sign. My baggage didn’t appear on the belt. Bummer. After a bit of a wait at the baggage desk, while the poor couple in front of me had the bad news their luggage was still in Denver, and they were supposed to be driving to Canada that night. They weren’t happy. Turns out mine had been put on the earlier flight and was in storage waiting for me. Phew. ( I had a  ten hour transit in San Francisco. To pass the hours I took the BART to have lunch at the ferry terminal). Back in Idaho, we arrived at our rental house just before midnight. 
Friday
Late morning, went to the lake for first practice swim and find out how cold it really was, before heading to registration. I wore the booties and hood. It didn’t feel freezing, just a bit nippy but the lake water felt lovely. 
Onto registration, I was the second in the priority AWA queue. Nothing different to Australian races worthy of note. You can see the contents of the backpack in the photo. Then  collected the bike from RacedayWheels. I’d booked the Canyon with Zipp 404s. I had emailed my bike dimensions two weeks earlier. All I had to bring was my pedals. I opted for the additional race day insurance of 25USD at payment time. All up cost was 375USD. Had a quick look around the expo, which sadly, is consistent with the diminishing offerings of the expos at our ANZ races. IM asking for too much slice of the pie and vendors abandoning the race day expos as not worth it? 
Went out for a test ride on the course. Very happy with the feel and fit of the bike. Then a short run around the lake edge. Discovered my favorite street corner in Coeur d’Alene, spin around 360 (https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6738831,-116.7938319,3a,53.1y,6.25h,89.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk6hg2Q7qZxtvQh2a_jHt-w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 )
Our house was a fifteen minute walk from race central. Back at the house, readied the bikes for racking.

Saturday
An earlier start at the lake to get the feel at race start time. The water felt a bit warmer and I tried swimming without the booties. It was fine. No numb feet. Another test ride and run and recce of the mount dismount area. Which was on a slight incline outbound so I decided against a flying mount going up hill. Racked the bikes, listened to the race briefing, then back home for chilling  time and dinner; home made pizzas.

T0
Body marking was old fashioned marker pen. If you want stick on numbers, you have to buy them from tritatts.com. 
In case it was really cold, I prepared a flask of chicken broth to leave at the bike for pre and post swim.  Left over pumps from past races are left around transition for all to use. 
After leaving the bike I went looking for the street gear drop off. Told by an official there’s no gear tent provided. Back to the bike to leave my street gear bag there. With a cold wet ground and still another hour to the swim start. This is where airline slippers are perfect and can be abandoned at the swim start.

Swim
I had a few out and backs for a practice swim. Then it was time for the pro starts. I got in line at the back of the thirty minute corral. As we shuffled towards the rolling start, Thunderstruck started blaring out. Perfect. (I’d chosen to leave the Angus kit at home, as I ran out of packing space).

It is an out and back course, sighting is easy, but I couldn’t find feet to sit on. At the turn buoy we face straight into the  sun, wind and chop. Swimming blind. Felt like I was going nowhere til I sighted a lifeguard. Turn buoy no.2 straight back to the beach. Counting down the buoys. Toes not feeling cold at all. 
Exit onto the coarse sand, guy in front of me face plants, I nearly do the same. Caps and goggles off and left wedged into the sleeve as I stripped the wetsuit to my waist while running to the bike. 

T1
All the bikes were still on the rack. Yeah! I thought to myself these yanks must be crap swimmers. I took a drink of chicken stock to get warm fluid inside me. But it wasn’t really that cold. It felt like Port Mac IM by comparison. The good weather was a blessing as the ground was still wet, muddy and slippery from the storms two days before. If it was raining on race day it would have been a quagmire. As I was leaving the racking area a guy came flying across in front of me from the left, slipped and went sliding on top of his bike into the fence, fortunately he was caught by spectators at the fence line, else his day may have ended there. Given the mount line is at the bottom of a short uphill road, I’d decided against a flying mount. As usual others stopping right on the mount line, blocking. I did my usual and ran right through to a clear area where the road widened. 

Bike
There’s  few serious pot holes in town to be careful of. But the Canyon is smooth and comfortable. I felt good on the bike. We headed right out of T1 through the Main Street and a bit of left right left right left right to get onto the main road to the first turnaround at Higgins Point. A couple of hills to contend with about 3-5% grade. The Canyon was feeling good and I was becoming comfortable with it’s handling and smooth gears. We passed back through the cheering town and out to the highway. Turning left onto the highway over a long fast downhill bridge we enter a no passing zone as we only have half the road for outbound and inbound. Fortunately, I wasn’t trapped behind a noobie going slow. 
Easy grades so far. About 25km in, I felt the back wheel going b-dump b-dump b-dump I stopped to check the back wheel for something in or stuck to the tyre. Nothing. I resume and put it down to the road surface. At about 30km just at the start of the first long climb... BANG! behind me. I thought it was the guy behind me, then he shot past saying “that was you!” Bugger. I pulled over to the left against the concrete barrier. The pros coming back towards ushould be a good way away yet. Fixed the flat ( just the luck of the draw with a dodgy tube) nothing I could find in the tyre. A few athletes passing ask if I need anything. One exclaimed fix it quick the pros will be ripping down this hill very soon. Back on the course and climbing. Thankful for our sessions climbing O’Reillys to draw from. The climbs are several kilometres long at about 3-5% but the descents are long too. Awesome fun. The highway stretch is mostly climbing, descending, climbing out to the turnaround at about 55km. The homeward bound journey lots of descents. Loved it. On one of the gentle descents, passing the outbound penalty tent and aid station HQ on the other side of the road, we were ushered to the right as there was an athlete on ground in the middle of the road, with medics. Always a disturbing sight. No idea how he got there it was straight bit of road with no geometry reasons to crash. Uneventful from here. The scenery was fairly similar to Taupo course. The biggest descent was in the closing kilometres, which is a no passing zone and no aero bars zone due to the speed and sweeping left and right bends. Fortunately, I had no one  right in front or behind me so I was able to enjoy the free speed and fun. The Canyon was a joy to descend on. Approaching the bottom, at full speed (about 65kph) there was a chick clearly riding her brakes and hanging / blocking way left. I was screaming at the top of my lungs to get right. We were still in the no passing zone, but there was no way I was going hard on the brakes to stay behind her, that would have been more dangerous. She clearly didn’t learn from the bloke in front of me who went flying passed her too. Uneventful from here back to T2. I was always going to do a flying dismount. Not that I’m in the money for those few seconds saved but it feels good and gives the crowd a show. I didn’t see anybody do one in front of me and when I did the flying dismount I heard a kid yell out “Awwwwwww yeah!”  My work here is done 😁

T2
Back at the rack, All the bikes were back on the rack, I thought I’m a crap cyclist. Surely cannot blame the flat for that. The heat of the day was coming on now. Great, plays to my advantage. Time to pull back some placings lost on the bike. 

Run
Heading out through the park I hear “go Foz” but couldn’t see anybody I knew so figured they were reading my Tranny bum bib. The course is left right left right left right again getting out of town out to the turn around but I like the course. Plenty of support and spectators. Heading back in bound I still have the red band to give to a vollie. I see a very young girl maybe six years old at the aid station looking overawed by whole thing so I took a drink from her, told her she was doing a great job and slide the red band onto her wrist. I think she had no idea what it was for but gave a big smile anyway. Back around the park at the half way mark I see my crew yelling at me to stop for lunch. Yeah great help, thanks. 😂 Out to the final turnaround I’m only passed by young punks now going like the clappers. Probably relay team members. 4km to go I see a familiar dagger on the back of a shirt infront  of me.  I yell out “ is that a Bootneck in front of me” he flicks around and smiles. I run past then he catches me up and says he cannot let a 56 yo bloke out run him. We chat for another km or so then the pace creeps up and the chatter stops. I peel off on the finish chute diversion and he heads out on his second lap. Not knowing the course well I didn’t realise it was going to feel like another 20km from the diversion to the actual finish line approach. Each corner I turned I was expecting to see the finish chute. 

Finish line
After the last turn left, it’s all down hill on the main shopping road to the  finish chute. A great configuration. Plenty of crowds and support on the approach.  Just before the IM carpet I see Tucker filming and yelling out. High five as I run past. High fiving the crowd down the chute I get to the finish line and turn back up the chute Coffs Pete style for more high fiving. That cost me a place, but WGAF it was a holiday race and I clearly wasn’t in the placings. As Coffs Pete would say I’m a two time CDA finisher 😂
I didn’t hang around in recovery. I went to join Tucker to support on the sidelines to wait for Mike, Jodee and Elizabeth to come down the finish chute.

Lessons learnt
Cold water isn’t that bad when you’re pumped with adrenaline and wearing a wettie.
The Red Baron ( my eight year old Argon18) is getting a bit tired and the Canyon really reinforced how comfortable a new bike is. 

Original post below————————————————————————

The cool thing in this bag is the red silicone wrist band. It is to give to your favorite volllie during race day. The vollie with the most bands wins the day. 

The water temp had risen to 15C yayyyyyy. It wasn’t so bad in the first swim today. 

84532321-E7EB-4F28-8E2B-F72885458FAE.jpeg

E3C43F81-D29E-41F9-8117-2E2535E7E77B.jpeg

770617EE-18E8-4E92-B52A-DABE49D8E8FA.jpeg

3D90E8D2-69CB-434B-A749-64AADA03149C.jpeg

6124F8B2-62BF-4BDF-BB9D-3554955A9101.jpeg

3D769203-2EA7-42C5-B8A6-7E6CBE554FB7.jpeg

Edited by iFoz
Added race report / Fixed supersized text.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 23/06/2018 at 2:24 PM, iFoz said:

The cool thing in this bag is the red silicone wrist band. It is to give to your favorite volllie during race day. The vollie with the most bands wins the day. 

What a great idea!! 

Shortest report I've seen. How about some extra girth ? I love reading them.

FM

On 25/06/2018 at 10:50 AM, roxii said:

What a great idea!! 

Hawaii 70.3 did that as well - really great idea.

5 hours ago, Surfer said:

Anyone seen or heard from iFoz ????

Sorry Surfer,

Been in transit back to Ol’ Blighty to visit the oldies. Race report mostly written at FL350  ✈️

Will publish soon. 

• Thanks 1

Phew was starting to, you know, worry a teeny bit that something went wrong in your race. Glad youre ok dude & no apology needed 😎

Scroll back to the first post for the race report. 

• Thanks 1

sounds like a great deal on the hire bike and takes out all the hassle of having to travel with a bike before and after. 

Great report & pics. Agree with Pieman, the bike hire looks so much easier than lugging your own bike around & riding the Canyon wouldve been very nice.

22 hours ago, Surfer said:

Great report & pics. Agree with Pieman, the bike hire looks so much easier than lugging your own bike around & riding the Canyon wouldve been very nice.

I’ll definitely be looking into the bike rental again for Kona 2019. Given the quality of the bike and wheels it’s a no brainer. 

I was also advised they sell off the bikes after 12 months so if you’re specifically after a slightly used Canyon, get in touch with Marc@racedaywheels.com

disclaimer: I have no association, just a satisfied customer. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Some sort of mid run chicken dance in that 5th pic, Foz?

Haha. Rubbing ice on my neck. It got warmish during the run leg.