MSP

Trex Cross Tri - Port Stephens

Looks like this event is on for the second year in September.

Looking for some insight on the bike course for someone with limited MTB skills from any one that did it last year or that can decipher what a ‘euro-style cross course’ means to the uninitiated?

Thanks. 

No idea what a euro style course is but bugger me I hated that course last year. Fire Trails with shitloads of sand and 1-2 unridable hills. I hated it.....but really it’s the most unfit I have been for any event ever so maybe that had a bit to do with it. No real technical skills required. 

Overall (if fit) a great event - beautiful calm swim in fingal bay seeing bottom whole way, a non technical but sandy and tough MTB, run was a fair chunk along Fingal bay beach (enough firm sand to be pleasant). I’ll be back again this year. 

https://m.facebook.com/In2Adventure/photos/a.112597498311.121412.98814988311/10157954558743312/?type=3

What's New at #TreXTri 2018/19?  Thanks to your feedback TreX Port Stephens has a new course with a shorter more exciting lap. The northern sandy trails on the MTB course have  removed and the soft sand section at the beginning of the run being replaced with a rocky fire trail! 
Stay tuned full details coming soon: http://ow.ly/cdGR30kyE4a

Do you think you could get away with a CX bike on the course without the sand hills?

I don’t think so........but a hard tail MTB was fine. Low tyres pressure, as wide as you have. IvP’s fatbike would have been ideal......

Thanks for the insights, sounds like a bit of low key fun to kick the season off with as long as expectations aren’t too high. 

I’m in for both the cross tri on Saturday and the trail run on the Sunday. Hoping the MTB that was bought to bash around with the kids will stand up to it....

It sounds like it may be like the first stage of Port to Port mtb race in previous years, in which case it was sandy firetrail with lots of short punchy climbs. In which case a CX would not work well. 

Hope everyone had a safe and fun time in the sun.

Well it’s official, MTB skills are useful out there and I’m still looking for them. Really struggled making it through some of the deep sand upright on the bike but did manage to pick off a few on the run for a fun day out - you get a lot more chances starting from the back!

Giving the trail half a crack tomorrow, hopefully the legs pull up well overnight. 

Edited by MSP
  • Like 2

Tough swim and really fun bike saw me going pretty well until I failed to duck low enough for a tree branch about 5km into the run and split my head open on it

Really enjoyed myself though, cross tri is very different and quite intense.  I can see myself doing a bit more of it 

• Sad 1