Tyno

TA Membership time

TA Membership time  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Membership payment time has arrived, what's your status?

• Current member - will renew
    • Current member - won't renew
    • Never been a member - will join
    • Previously member - joining again after a break
    • Previous member - not joining
    • Never been a member - won't join

22 hours ago, Turts said:

Since it's still June, all "current member wont renew" votes count too. So we're 62.9%. 

oh, thats just farked.  

51.5% current members,   12.5% not renewing.  

39% come July 1.  That is a disgrace.  All you triathletes on here should hang yourself in shame and given them the $120  or whatever it is these days membership fee with or without active.   I know its exxie at $120 or whatever it is, for what you get but its your national association, its time to support them and get on board the future of our sport

I know when I read TA annual report for 2017, referenced below, and noted the very small, almost minuscule travel bill of $1,029,500 for 2017, i thought to myself thats only 8529 memberships at $120. It really isn't much in this day and age. 

So get on board and support the sport and give them your $120.  Be part of the solution, not problem.  Ensure the glass is half full, not half empty.  Support our sport in the only way possible, join TA at $120.

http://www.triathlon.org.au/Assets/Triathlon+Australia+Digital+Assets/2016-2017+TA+Annual+Report.pdf  p67

Edited by Oompa Loompa
  • Like 1

Fully owned..... on a positive note, the silence is deafening with facts from the annual report. 

On a second positive note, up to 52% now members, minus the 12 % from July 1.... thats a hard cold 40% that see value in joining TA on a triathlon forum.   High 5, tremendous outcome, you have to remember in the 1970's this was zero.  So this is 40% more then nothing that see no value in TA.  Great stuff.

On an even more positive note, how good is that, a 60% opportunity for TA to engage the sport, from July 1 obviously,  to understand the sport and embrace the 60%  of triathletes that dont bother with them.  Sensational opportunity to embrace...

I can see it now, sold out ironman the day entries go on sale.....  Wouldn't it be great to say on my watch, Ironman sold out day one entries opened.  Or on my watch, Kurnell was a four race series, or a five watch series.....

Actually thats a bit hard, yeah, yeah, whilst i know people have achieved that previously,  years after year, maybe we should just record our social media presence as a key metric rather then things like the number of kurnells and ironman selling out day one..... 

Be part of the solution, not the problem, join TA, enter Ironman day one like the old days and make Kurnell old school, with a race series of more then two races.

#Maketriathlongreatagain

#maketriathlonoldschool

Edited by Oompa Loompa

It's short for farkurnell

47 minutes ago, Turts said:

What's "kurnell"?

It's what NSW triathletes consider the home of Triathlon in Aus. ;)

edit: which is kind of funny when the oldest race in NSW is at Nepean, the oldest club in the country is Melbourne, & the National Association was formed on the GC. 

Discuss. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Anyone that thinks $140/$200 is expensive obviously doesn't have kids doing...well anything organised.  That would be per term for most activities if you take out the major sports that subsidise their junior levels in a push for market share.  Yes that might include a training session a week run by volunteers but so does just about any tri club.  For most in the sport $200 is not an unbearable cost and they're spend far more on useless stuff used once if at all over the course of the year.

Yes, TA are useless and only pay any mind to grass roots when the KPIs that decide if they get more money to spend are at risk.  The majority of the national and state boards are made up of people whose key interest is what it will look like on their CV and the administrators are all just looking at it as a stepping stone to their next job in a higher profile sport.

Clubs lack engagement because too many members are happy to complain about what they're not getting but unwilling to get off their arses and help out.  It's a sport that is marketed in a way that attracts the selfish achievers to get in for a couple of years and get out.  It's made out to be hard to do by promoting elite performances and longer events instead of pointing to the slightly overweight middle-aged mum training a couple of hours a week and racing a few enticers a year.  The reality is that it's where you will find most of the long-term triathletes that are the core of the sport.  Don't tell people they can be special by doing triathlon, tell them that there nothing special about doing what you lived to do as a kid.  It's just fun!

This place is not exactly representative of triathlon either.  Primarily long course focused where value for money (with the exception of PL insurance) in membership is lower due to less racing and more individual training I'm surprised that 50% want to renew.  The NSW focus where the state body seems to be particularly useless probably doesn't help either.

Edited by Stikman
  • Like 3

Yes, that is the cost of kids doing sports - one of the reasons I don't join TA ;)   My local club has been pretty much just a racing club, previously having 6 races a year plus some duathlons.  If I planned on doing at least 3 races I'd join.  But last year, due to issues with getting swimming venues and safe race courses, they moved to a 5 race season but some races were as far away as gundy and roma.  For about the cost of 3 races and joining the club I could do 3 gatorades, so that's what I'll probably do.  Otherwise for the rest of the year they don't really have anything for me.  Plus there has been an issue with volunteers for years now, which I think comes from people seeing it as a group of races rather than being a club.  I felt over the years I turned up to any race I did early to help set up and then pack up (kids got sick of that) and generally gave up one race to help marshal.  Turned up in a moon boot to a few races to run transition.  And always saw the same few doing the work.  I'd love to still be a member, but my dollars have to be carefully shared out.

And as far as the insurance side of things go, don't you have to be "training" for an event to be able to claim any of it?  Now, most of us could indicate that that's what we are doing.  But in my case, where I don't get to race often and much less so now, is there value in it other than "supporting the sport?"  I'd be happier to support them more if they backed their TO's more, paid them better and trained them more and gave them the power to drag an entire pack off the course.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

And as far as the insurance side of things go, don't you have to be "training" for an event to be able to claim any of it?

You just have to be engaged in a training activity, not for anything specific nor does it need to be organised training.  Your safest bet is to get a diary and before you go off and do anything write what you're going to do.  It gives strong evidence if it is ever in dispute.

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

edit: which is kind of funny when the oldest race in NSW is at Nepean, the oldest club in the country is Melbourne, & the National Association was formed on the GC. 

And don't forget the ground breaking (in Aus) QSTS series in Qld for a couple of years back in the '80s .

(I think it was 8 OD races spread across about 1500km all with the same: age groups,  rules, distances, timing, finish line, swim bouys, real medals etc etc). Beats the idea of a "state series" (NB private ownership) that does not leave more than about 80 km from capital city :( 

Back to 51%...... come on, we can do this, if we dream we can achieve anything.... 52% people, lets do this.

Oh and just one correction re Kurnell being the home of the sport in Australia...... Yes, yes it is, but the heavy hitters, the powers that be all refer to it as the home of the sport in the world.

When you go to San Diego, and peeps say what race have you done, and you go kurnell... they drop to their knees and pray.    When you go full huichol, wether on or off reservation, and they go what race have you done, and you go Kurnell, a smoke signal of awe goes into the sky.  when you go to london and knock back few gins with phil n liz at buckingham, and they go what race have you done, and you go kurnell.... Liz goes high 5, that's where great great great great great great grandfather george decided to claim Australia as his own.  Yep, Kurnell is the home of the sport in World not just Australia.

• Haha 1

Everyone  mentions $120 - 140. I received an email saying the renewal will cost me $235 (I believe last year was even more)!!

Is that because I'm not a club member??

I've only been doing about 3 races a year (Kurnell included ;) ) and I just can't justify the money anymore!

8 minutes ago, Torn said:

Everyone  mentions $120 - 140. I received an email saying the renewal will cost me $235 (I believe last year was even more)!!

I've only been doing about 3 races a year (Kurnell included ;) ) and I just can't justify the money anymore!

Yeah you literally have to select a club and you pay $100 less...

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeah but I live here so I think that’s the clincher. 

On 24/06/2018 at 8:14 AM, Stikman said:

The majority of the national and state boards are made up of people whose key interest is what it will look like on their CV and the administrators are all just looking at it as a stepping stone to their next job in a higher profile sport.

Come on Stikman, we've had more than our fair share of administrators and board reps that are on the sharp decline down from being unable to perform in other sports as well.  "Triathlon - giving administrators and execs one more chance to show they are truly shite".  We really should be registered as a benevolent society for the opportunities to the disadvantaged we provide on such a regular basis

And let's not forget the other commercial interests... cough, Trinow, cough

On 24/06/2018 at 4:04 PM, Torn said:

yeah, just hit sutho shire triathlon club on the club drop down, $10 and youll come back to $120-$140 plus $10.  Spend 10, save a hundred, thats half a race entry at kurnell.  SSTC will treat you like a number, like a nobody...just how you like it.

So I think I must have had auto-renew on. Changing club, so ahead of the auto-renew date I clicked on link that TA sent by email for renewing ahead of the auto-renew date. So go through the process and renew my TA membership, then choose my club (and enter the new one), go to check out pay all good. Then receive the payment receipts for the TA membership and new club membership.

A couple of days later, just after the auto-renew data, I receive a notice that I had been auto-renewed in the older club and they had charged me the money for this. At no point in the process through ACTIVE did I get a chance to opt out of the old club. Not very happy about this.

Ask any club administrator, the Active system is a total P.O.S. that makes life difficult for everyone.  You'd wonder why TA thought it was worth over $80,000 a year to use if it wasn't for the fact that they aren't the ones paying for it.

• Like 1

Stikman, as a club admin I agree. Especially where mobile useability is concerned. I have been trying to complete a number of withdrawals and invites to our race on Sunday and had to resort to borrowing the +1s laptop, I was trying to get it done on the move.

I have renewed, our AGM is on Sunday and I am nominating for Secretary.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2018 at 6:31 AM, Cranky said:

So, medical costs ....

I tore my ATFL whilst run training, with a tri coach and other triathletes.

I don't have private health cover. 

I have spent a gazillion on physiotherapy, none of which Medicare covered. So can I claim any of these costs through TA?

When I last checked, if training for a sanctioned event on a program with a coach, possibly 

Is it accident or injury cover though?

You could sue the coach if it was due to something they did and take advantage of their professional indemnity insurance.  It would be tough to prove though (and a dick move if it really had nothing to do with them.)

54% who hoo.... well done everyone.  Three cheers for Trannies and getting TA over the line, no going back to 49% now.

Great job people. Really proud of you all, even the 46%.  Just terrific what we can do when we dream and believe.  

Edited by Oompa Loompa
  • Thanks 1

I renewed.  Haven't done anything tri-related in over 18 months, but it feels like giving up to not renew.

Didn't read anything Oompa said, but I probably agree with some of it.

On 07/07/2018 at 8:03 PM, PaperMan said:

I renewed.  Haven't done anything tri-related in over 18 months, but it feels like giving up to not renew.

Didn't read anything Oompa said, but I probably agree with some of it.

Im just takin the piss, if I had the answer I'd tell them. Compulsory membership was always going to take the sport backwards and we are seeing that now as the peripheral that joined clubs and came in and out from the sport has diminished greatly.    Fully accept the one off hit compulsory gave but you cant force growth, it has to be organic. 

The real issue is the value proposition, and there was some great work done re early entry when races sold out, but they dont now due to that compulsory model killing that peripheral, it just stopped the gateway into the sport.  

I hope they have the foresight to remove it and adapt to the market, then grow that value proposition.  It is ok to change direction when you have data about membership numbers proving the direction is wrong...likes on social media is very different to people joining and supporting the sport.   

My view is my own and nobody else's and appreciate others have different views, but with an increasing population in this country and declining membership year on year, something is wrong.  You cant achieve a different outcome doing the same old....  I'd undo compulsory and develop the value of membership and insurance isn't that.