Tyno

TA Membership time

TA Membership time  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Membership payment time has arrived, what's your status?

• Current member - will renew
    • Current member - won't renew
    • Never been a member - will join
    • Previously member - joining again after a break
    • Previous member - not joining
    • Never been a member - won't join

What about supporting the sport to grow? Who knows what TA / TriNSW might offer if they get enough support. It's not like it is hundreds of $$

My 2c worth

NSF

For personal injury it is not worth a cracker unless you don't have sick leave and private health insurance. I came off my bike at Ironman Oz this year and spent 5 days in hospital and so far 6 weeks off work. I have had to use all my sick leave and private health insurance first before the race insurance kicks in. I am out of pocket big time with just the medicare gap fees alone as well as using all my sick leave up. The good news is my bike and all the extras were insured by me and will be replaced. Honestly I cannot see the point of rejoining on this basis.

• Sad 1

As a slight tangent, the ODL process at IM Wales puzzles me. The following has happened twice, so it's their SOP for sure.

Enter expo/rego tent, on the right is the main rego table and the other side of the tent is the counter to buy your ODL. You can't register until you have your ODL.  Go to the ODL counter and pay £5, they give a 'licence' that doesn't appear to have a number on it.  When you buy the licence, absolutely no details are taken and then you proceed to rego.

At the registration table, they visually check you have the ODL but they don't taken any details from that licence, they just tick that you have one.  There is nothing stopping anyone buying a ODL, registering and then giving/selling the ODL to their mates who are yet to register.

Seems strange to me.

6 hours ago, Flashgaza said:

For personal injury it is not worth a cracker unless you don't have sick leave and private health insurance. I came off my bike at Ironman Oz this year and spent 5 days in hospital and so far 6 weeks off work. I have had to use all my sick leave and private health insurance first before the race insurance kicks in. I am out of pocket big time with just the medicare gap fees alone as well as using all my sick leave up. The good news is my bike and all the extras were insured by me and will be replaced. Honestly I cannot see the point of rejoining on this basis.

No offence intended but what exactly did you expect for $140 a year when you'd pay that for a month of either private health cover or income protection insurance?  That part of the policy conditions are pretty clear and easy to find (other parts are not.)

I'd like to join the local club and do their club races but having the extra expense of having to join TNSW, pushes it to the 'not worth it' category. For many years the insurance whether in the tri or cycling world has not been worth the expense. It seems very disproportionate cost for the insurance provided. As the cost of racing creeps up, I find it harder to justify entering. Last race was 2008 Port Half, now back doing some good training and will do Port 70.3 next year, but certainly wont be entering the number of races I used. Getting to $1k for IM and the drop in value of the extras (carbo night, awards, kit bag, volunteers party etc), it gets to the not worth it or special occasion event, not each year  like I used to. Will do 1 more IM to get my 10 up, but then will be some years before I back up to use the legends number. I know the actual carbo and awards dinner was probably not worth much in respect to the meal, but it contributed to IM being an event rather than just a one day race.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stikman said:

No offence intended but what exactly did you expect for $140 a year when you'd pay that for a month of either private health cover or income protection insurance?  That part of the policy conditions are pretty clear and easy to find (other parts are not.)

No offence taken, all I was trying to get across is this model did not work for me as I am privately insured and have insurance to cover my bike which was written off and everything else that was damaged in the accident, I also have enough sick pay after 30 plus years of being in the one job to cover the 8 weeks I am off work. So honestly why would I pay $140 a year for something that does not give me any benefit. The insurance may or may not suit some who have not taken the steps I have taken to cover my butt in this case, it has just been a month long paper chase just to get it acknowledged and I will be back at work before it is of any assistance financially and medically to me. And I was aware of the policy conditions beforehand hence the steps of I have taken to fully insure myself. Accidents happen and life moves on. 

Edited by Flashgaza
Bad grammar.

I think the insurance is sold (by TA, the state associations and the clubs) in the wrong manner, as you say the personal accident insurance is fairly worthless.  The only real value for most people is the public liability.  Now if you had brought someone else down in your accident and it was negligent of you then you might have found more joy in the coverage but the reality is that as it was in a race a one-day license would have also covered you there to the same extent.  Personal accident cover for ODMs is a bit lower though.

heh, if you're sick of getting reamed, turn off auto renew and join sutherland shire triathlon club.  its only $10 and they dont do anything, as opposed to a tri club that does heaps but nobody shows up.  still gotta join TA if you want the race discount thing. 

fastest growing tri club in the shire over the last three years.  they do nothing and people join them,  crazy world.

sad days when less then 50% join ta on a poll on here.   if they want to grow, they should do nothing too.  people love people that do nothing...look at the homeless, people love giving them food and clothes... people just love nothing..... $10, you'd be a tight arse not to join for $10.

and SSTC  dont need members, so think long and hard if you really want to join a tri club and give people $10 for nothing, but christ its better then giving people $50 for nothing or worse $50 for something that you dont attend.

TA could change their name to the 46%, now that would be cool..... unless 47% of people on here joined them, then it would be dumb to be called the 46%.  TA dont do dumb well, so maybe keep the poll at 46%.

Definitely worth it for the third party coverage alone if not already a CA member and covered that way.

I always used to think that I won’t cause an accident but after a car turned right in front of me, and later changed their statement to say I came off the footpath and crossed in front of them to avoid paying for my bike and then claim against me for a windshield - I realised that it’s better to have a backstop for a my word against yours scenario - in my case it was a s#%t box that hit me but could easily have been a $200k Porsche. 

1 hour ago, MSP said:

Definitely worth it for the third party coverage alone if not already a CA member and covered that way.

I always used to think that I won’t cause an accident but after a car turned right in front of me, and later changed their statement to say I came off the footpath and crossed in front of them to avoid paying for my bike and then claim against me for a windshield - I realised that it’s better to have a backstop for a my word against yours scenario - in my case it was a s#%t box that hit me but could easily have been a $200k Porsche. 

TA or no TA, I would never ride my bike without liability insurance.

• Like 1

up to 48% will join TA on this triathlon forum...let get it to 50% and 1 out of every two triathletes join the national forum that are interested enough in the sport to read this forum.   

Can I see another 2% please.  Lets do this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

up to 48% will join TA on this triathlon forum...let get it to 50% and 1 out of every two triathletes join the national forum that are interested enough in the sport to read this forum.   

Can I see another 2% please.  Lets do this.

Its over 50%

Yep, it is.  But considering this is a community of tri geeks, you'd have to think that only 51% of respondents joining the national sports body isn't that great......... 

And aren't you forced to be a member of TA if you join a tri club as an active member?

So, medical costs ....

I tore my ATFL whilst run training, with a tri coach and other triathletes.

I don't have private health cover. 

I have spent a gazillion on physiotherapy, none of which Medicare covered. So can I claim any of these costs through TA?

39 minutes ago, Cranky said:

So, medical costs ....

I have spent a gazillion on physiotherapy, none of which Medicare covered. So can I claim any of these costs through TA?

Give them a call and please record the conversation for our entertainment reference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

So, medical costs ....

Sue the coach

52 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Sue the coach?

Yeah Cranky, was Sue the coach?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Give them a call and please record the conversation for our entertainment reference.

That's what the ol attention seeker use to say... ring TA...lol.

49% now people..... lets get that 1%, we can do this...we can get it to 1 in 2

9 hours ago, goughy said:

You're on top form mate 😎😂😂🤘

9 hours ago, goughy said:

I nearly made that joke on my own post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

That's what the ol attention seeker use to say... ring TA...lol.

49% now people..... lets get that 1%, we can do this...we can get it to 1 in 2

But it was already over 50% joining.

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

But it was already over 50% joining.

But then it dropped, its now at 50%. Let's keep it there people... maybe even get it to 51%.   I'm excited. 

50 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

But then it dropped, its now at 50%. Let's keep it there people... maybe even get it to 51%.   I'm excited. 

My calcs say 53%

5 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

My calcs say 53%

Since it's still June, all "current member wont renew" votes count too. So we're 62.9%. 

• Haha 1