AP

I Believe

Correct you are, I'd like to see anyone refute any of this.

1 minute ago, Flanman said:

What is EMF ?

FM

Curious as well.... Elecro Magnetic fields??? (ie, less tv and mobile phones is my guess?)

6 minutes ago, Tossacoin said:

Curious as well.... Elecro Magnetic fields??? (ie, less tv and mobile phones is my guess?)

Yes. you need to sleep with your phone not in the bedroom. 

Just now, pieman said:

Yes. you need to sleep with your phone not in the bedroom. 

Or an alfoil hat on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Correct you are, I'd like to see anyone refute any of this.

Science may refute the EMF claim. 

But AP did say "I believe" 

1 minute ago, roxii said:

Science may refute the EMF claim. 

But AP did say "I believe" 

Oh, I did stumble on that one too and actually wondered what it was. I'm ok with people refuting that one.

• Haha 3

I've been in EMF fields high enough to make me feel uncomfortably warm. Many could use that to back up AP's statement. :)

Good words AP.

it goes without saying hydration and enjoyment don't need to be on the list. Anyone who needs to read that, shouldn't be allowed out of the house without adult supervision, lol.

Think I'm guilty of most of them. I have definitely made more commitment to strength stuff this year (in addition to my mobility stuff I have to do). I have no idea if it helps but having a gym at work has helped heaps in that regard.

I use my long runs to think about pacing a lot more these days and have adopted much more of a 'don't slow down' mindset, which in turn has helped me start at a slower pace.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I've been in EMF fields high enough to make me feel uncomfortably warm. Many could use that to back up AP's statement. :)

Me too, but I mean the extremely low levels that we experience on the day to day our bodies are more than capable of handling. 

27 minutes ago, willie said:

Me too, but I mean the extremely low levels that we experience on the day to day our bodies are more than capable of handling. 

Yeah. I have no real issue with it, and have worked in the industry for 30+ years. I know a lot of our riggers used to sit on the TV broadcast dipoles on cold Winter mornings because it "made them feel warm on the inside". Of all the guys I knew for all those years, 1 had bad cancer, and that was skin cancer. He was a surfie outside of work and was basically a skin cancer case waiting to happen. The only effect we noticed was 26 girls born to the team out of 28 kids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The only effect we noticed was 26 girls born to the team out of 28 kids.

That is quite a skew. The two boys, were they conceived after the dad had been on holidays, not working in the EMF environment for a time? 

Edited by gregb

18 hours ago, AP said:

* diet and supplementation of that diet can drastically improve development of the athlete and the heights reached

With all the conflicting views on what to eat (ie the meat and water diet thread, high fat low carb thread and intermittent fasting thread to name but a few), optimising diet can get a bit confusing.

What approach do you suggest for athletes you coach?

Edited by trilobite
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, AP said:

* EMF is real and does affect quality of sleep and the internal harmony of the body, without good quality sleep you'll never reach your potential

Having been through a sleep study for my son and also discussions on things that disturb your sleep, while I don't practise it I do believe that leaving your devices outside your room during the night is a good idea.  But it's got nothing to do with EMF (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5kr2OBhh4c), but to do with us having in the back of our minds "we can just have a quick check", and then suddenly an hour is gone! (I am obscenely guilty of this).  Just the thought of it is enough to have an effect, you don't even have to check them....  I have my phone charging, my tablet charging, and an ipod touch (my cycling group use imessage for chatting and I don't use an iphone so have to use the ipod) all on my bedside table.

And on the sleeping side of things, the Dr that we saw for the sleep study told us that studies are showing that it's not the blue light of the devices that are causing the trouble like everyone thinks (so screen filters don't help) but just the flashing and brightness and stuff in our faces that keep us awake!

On a side note, I just discovered that rather than having to quote the whole text and then delete what you don't want, you can just highlight the text you want to quote in the original post, and then a popup box comes up asking if you want to quote just that text!  Friggin awesome  #latetotheparty

On a side side note, I'm guilty of much of that.  But don't care less these days.  Was less guilty of it when I was going ok for me, but these days don't need the stress of thinking I could go ok and much prefer to just accept I'm shit.

Edited by goughy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, trilobite said:

With all the conflicting views on what to eat (ie the meat and water diet thread, high fat low carb thread and intermittent fasting thread to name but a few), optimising diet can get a bit confusing.

What approach do you suggest for athletes you coach?

Its all in his biggest loser threads in tri gold..

Great post AP.

In relation to weight, how do you determine ideal race weight? Is it simply as light as you can get without losing power? Also what is the ideal off season weight as a % of ideal race weight.

Cheers

NSF

If my memory serves me, his view is that it is best to stay as close to race weight/race fitness as possible all year around. The idea of a fitness ‘baseline’ (ability to separately swim 3km, 100kmTT, 2 hours year round) or off season weight (within 3kg of race weight) makes it easier when it comes time to get into a pre-race build.  If you routinely do no training over winter and gain 15kg then you are behind the eight ball from the start…

Makes sense really...

10 minutes ago, pieman said:

If my memory serves me, his view is that it is best to stay as close to race weight/race fitness as possible all year around. The idea of a fitness ‘baseline’ (ability to separately swim 3km, 100kmTT, 2 hours year round) or off season weight (within 3kg of race weight) makes it easier when it comes time to get into a pre-race build.  If you routinely do no training over winter and gain 15kg then you are behind the eight ball from the start…

Makes sense really...

Yes, for sure. Makes sense and I agree. Keen to know what AP thinks.

Thanks Pieman

Just now, Notsofast said:

Yes, for sure. Makes sense and I agree. Keen to know what AP thinks.

Thanks Pieman

Be interesting if he agrees as I am pretty much just cut and pasting what he's said before... so he probably wont 😎😁

Pieman's cut and paste is pretty much right on - long course racing, whether it's HIM or IM is 98% endurance - endurance and fuel efficiency (fat burning ability) takes years to really develop to your potential. Always doing something, keeps the ball rolling.

Athletes who do crit racing, cross fit or touch footy in their off season are virtually stalling their endurance building progress. To be successful at this sport (long course) we have to be  building endurance year in, year out for several years to achieve our biggest goals.

If the goal of being able to walk out the door any time in the year and swim 3km or ride 100km or run 2hrs, will always have you in a position to train up for an respectable Ironman in 12-16 weeks.

On the body weight issue, drastically reducing the consumption of wheat and sugar can be the key for most of us. I suggest athletes in my squad try to eat 50-60% of their diet as vegetables, and include protein in every meal. It's a very flexible eating plan which leads to lots of variety. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle.

I think the most important part of an eating plan is that it is sustainable long term. In order to stick to something long term it needs to not be too rigid. I suggest out of 21 meals in a week we're disciplined for 18 of them, that leaves 1 breakfast - 1 lunch - 1 dinner each week where you have what ever you feel like.

On the EMR issue, don't put too much faith in what science is telling us at the moment. Remember science told us that sea levels would be 1m higher by now 2018, science also told us that fats were bad for you and you should be living a high carb life. Science also warned us against nuclear power plants, but they're building new ones all round the world and there are lots that are fifty years old with no problems. Science has many opinions, they're not all the same, studies can be found to support any belief you have. All I'm suggesting is leaving phones, ipads and computers outside of the bedroom, at the very least it may help your relationship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AP said:

Science also warned us against nuclear power plants

I don't think that science has ever warned against nuclear power plants. Science realises that nuclear power generates minimal greenhouse gases. Nuclear fuel unlike fossil fuels is almost limitless.

The push against nuclear power has come from the green movement. Incidents at 3 mile island, Chernobyl and Japan has given the public the impression that nuclear power is dangerous.

Yes nuclear power has risks, but so does coal and gas power.

There is no evidence that EMF causes health problems. I agree with Goughy though, for many people having electronics in the bedroom causes poor sleep as they are tempted to check Facebook and play Candy Crush instead of sleeping.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AP said:

It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle.

The word diet gets thrown around too much, and puts fear into people who then fail at it.  Lifestyle is so much better a term.

1 hour ago, Ironnerd said:

There is no evidence that EMF causes health problems. I agree with Goughy though, for many people having electronics in the bedroom causes poor sleep as they are tempted to check Facebook and play Candy Crush instead of sleeping.

My phone is my alarm clock, but it goes into silent mode after sitting stationary for any length of time in the dark. I don't get notifications till I move the phone in the morning. It's also on the floor beside my bed, so I don't have any lights in my face either.

1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

My phone is my alarm clock, but it goes into silent mode after sitting stationary for any length of time in the dark. I don't get notifications till I move the phone in the morning. It's also on the floor beside my bed, so I don't have any lights in my face either.

Stick it on flight mode...

Just now, BogFrog said:

Stick it on flight mode...

I used to do that on my last one, but this seems to do it by itself. It will still put a call through though which was good when I was running a late night taxi service for my teenage daughter.

3 hours ago, AP said:

All I'm suggesting is leaving phones, ipads and computers outside of the bedroom, at the very least it may help your relationship.

All of the advice given here is pretty good. I disagree with the EMF thing and unless you turn your and your neighbours' wifi off it won't make much difference. However the above I do agree with on devices. I have started used my watch as my alarm clock and leaving my phone on charge in the kitchen and have noticed a significant improvement in sleep quality (and can show it as quantified by my watch). Goughy's reason of subconscious wanting to check is certainly one of them, these devices and apps are designed to release serotonin as a reward for engaging with them and if they are near then you can start craving that. The other is that I plug my phone in in the kitchen and then begin the bedtime routine finishing with a read of a book. That means I have at least a clear 30 mins between my last mobile device interaction and going to bed and that mitigates the very real effect of the blue light stimulation. Mrs M is far more talkative than me and so is always messaging folk back in the UK right up until the last minute before she tries to sleep... she sleeps terribly.

28 minutes ago, monkie said:

That means I have at least a clear 30 mins between my last mobile device interaction and going to bed and that mitigates the very real effect of the blue light stimulation. Mrs M is far more talkative than me and so is always messaging folk back in the UK right up until the last minute before she tries to sleep... she sleeps terribly.

We have the same situation at my place - in fact it almost sounds like we're living parallel lives :whistling: 

I work in the same industry as Ex and have never taken my phone into the bedroom at home. Probably the only exception is when I’m away in a hotel and Mrs FP is not with me.

Edited by FatPom

6 hours ago, AP said:

Pieman's cut and paste is pretty much right on - long course racing, whether it's HIM or IM is 98% endurance - endurance and fuel efficiency (fat burning ability) takes years to really develop to your potential. Always doing something, keeps the ball rolling.

Athletes who do crit racing, cross fit or touch footy in their off season are virtually stalling their endurance building progress. To be successful at this sport (long course) we have to be  building endurance year in, year out for several years to achieve our biggest goals.

If the goal of being able to walk out the door any time in the year and swim 3km or ride 100km or run 2hrs, will always have you in a position to train up for an respectable Ironman in 12-16 weeks.

On the body weight issue, drastically reducing the consumption of wheat and sugar can be the key for most of us. I suggest athletes in my squad try to eat 50-60% of their diet as vegetables, and include protein in every meal. It's a very flexible eating plan which leads to lots of variety. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle.

I think the most important part of an eating plan is that it is sustainable long term. In order to stick to something long term it needs to not be too rigid. I suggest out of 21 meals in a week we're disciplined for 18 of them, that leaves 1 breakfast - 1 lunch - 1 dinner each week where you have what ever you feel like.

On the EMR issue, don't put too much faith in what science is telling us at the moment. Remember science told us that sea levels would be 1m higher by now 2018, science also told us that fats were bad for you and you should be living a high carb life. Science also warned us against nuclear power plants, but they're building new ones all round the world and there are lots that are fifty years old with no problems. Science has many opinions, they're not all the same, studies can be found to support any belief you have. All I'm suggesting is leaving phones, ipads and computers outside of the bedroom, at the very least it may help your relationship.

Well said!! Studies can be manipulated to argue any point you like-take this classic article as an example where the author has used the premise to argue broccoli is poison!

"“Broccoli is bad for you, like, really toxic bad” https://www.thinkingnutrition.com.au/broccoli-bad-for-you/

As for EMR I would not at all be surprised if we were riddled with cancer in another 30 years. I get warnings from Telstra via sms about once a quarter. Sounds verrry much like they are covering their arses 'just in case'

6 hours ago, goughy said:

The word diet gets thrown around too much, and puts fear into people who then fail at it.  Lifestyle is so much better a term.

And lifestyles are flexible. 

Diets shouldn't be 

10 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Broccoli is poison. 

My wife just poisoned me.

To be expected really.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wronggenes said:

I wouldn’t worry about EMF.

KLF is more dangerous.

all aboard

3 hours ago, Wronggenes said:

I wouldn’t worry about EMF.

KLF is more dangerous.

Haha, I thought I was the only one that thought that! The KLF is going to rock you!

Edited by Slunnie
  • Sad 1

I know a staff member who introduces herself as grandmother of 8 to everybody. It's almost like a defence mechanism.

5 hours ago, Slunnie said:

Haha, I thought I was the only one that thought that! The KLF is going to rock you!

Was gonna post this myself last night, but thought I came up with EMF, better let someone else have a go ;)

I do have EMF in my spotify favourites, including a Live recording of Unbelievable!

Edited by goughy

Thats two mentions on the KLF in one week.  :lol:  We are certainly old music tragics.