AP

I Believe

Correct you are, I'd like to see anyone refute any of this.

1 minute ago, Flanman said:

What is EMF ?

FM

Curious as well.... Elecro Magnetic fields??? (ie, less tv and mobile phones is my guess?)

6 minutes ago, Tossacoin said:

Curious as well.... Elecro Magnetic fields??? (ie, less tv and mobile phones is my guess?)

Yes. you need to sleep with your phone not in the bedroom. 

Just now, pieman said:

Yes. you need to sleep with your phone not in the bedroom. 

Or an alfoil hat on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Correct you are, I'd like to see anyone refute any of this.

Science may refute the EMF claim. 

But AP did say "I believe" 

1 minute ago, roxii said:

Science may refute the EMF claim. 

But AP did say "I believe" 

Oh, I did stumble on that one too and actually wondered what it was. I'm ok with people refuting that one.

• Haha 3

I've been in EMF fields high enough to make me feel uncomfortably warm. Many could use that to back up AP's statement. :)

Good words AP.

it goes without saying hydration and enjoyment don't need to be on the list. Anyone who needs to read that, shouldn't be allowed out of the house without adult supervision, lol.

Think I'm guilty of most of them. I have definitely made more commitment to strength stuff this year (in addition to my mobility stuff I have to do). I have no idea if it helps but having a gym at work has helped heaps in that regard.

I use my long runs to think about pacing a lot more these days and have adopted much more of a 'don't slow down' mindset, which in turn has helped me start at a slower pace.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I've been in EMF fields high enough to make me feel uncomfortably warm. Many could use that to back up AP's statement. :)

Me too, but I mean the extremely low levels that we experience on the day to day our bodies are more than capable of handling. 

27 minutes ago, willie said:

Me too, but I mean the extremely low levels that we experience on the day to day our bodies are more than capable of handling. 

Yeah. I have no real issue with it, and have worked in the industry for 30+ years. I know a lot of our riggers used to sit on the TV broadcast dipoles on cold Winter mornings because it "made them feel warm on the inside". Of all the guys I knew for all those years, 1 had bad cancer, and that was skin cancer. He was a surfie outside of work and was basically a skin cancer case waiting to happen. The only effect we noticed was 26 girls born to the team out of 28 kids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The only effect we noticed was 26 girls born to the team out of 28 kids.

That is quite a skew. The two boys, were they conceived after the dad had been on holidays, not working in the EMF environment for a time? 

Edited by gregb

18 hours ago, AP said:

* diet and supplementation of that diet can drastically improve development of the athlete and the heights reached

With all the conflicting views on what to eat (ie the meat and water diet thread, high fat low carb thread and intermittent fasting thread to name but a few), optimising diet can get a bit confusing.

What approach do you suggest for athletes you coach?

Edited by trilobite
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, AP said:

* EMF is real and does affect quality of sleep and the internal harmony of the body, without good quality sleep you'll never reach your potential

Having been through a sleep study for my son and also discussions on things that disturb your sleep, while I don't practise it I do believe that leaving your devices outside your room during the night is a good idea.  But it's got nothing to do with EMF (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5kr2OBhh4c), but to do with us having in the back of our minds "we can just have a quick check", and then suddenly an hour is gone! (I am obscenely guilty of this).  Just the thought of it is enough to have an effect, you don't even have to check them....  I have my phone charging, my tablet charging, and an ipod touch (my cycling group use imessage for chatting and I don't use an iphone so have to use the ipod) all on my bedside table.

And on the sleeping side of things, the Dr that we saw for the sleep study told us that studies are showing that it's not the blue light of the devices that are causing the trouble like everyone thinks (so screen filters don't help) but just the flashing and brightness and stuff in our faces that keep us awake!

On a side note, I just discovered that rather than having to quote the whole text and then delete what you don't want, you can just highlight the text you want to quote in the original post, and then a popup box comes up asking if you want to quote just that text!  Friggin awesome  #latetotheparty

On a side side note, I'm guilty of much of that.  But don't care less these days.  Was less guilty of it when I was going ok for me, but these days don't need the stress of thinking I could go ok and much prefer to just accept I'm shit.

Edited by goughy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, trilobite said:

With all the conflicting views on what to eat (ie the meat and water diet thread, high fat low carb thread and intermittent fasting thread to name but a few), optimising diet can get a bit confusing.

What approach do you suggest for athletes you coach?

Its all in his biggest loser threads in tri gold..

Great post AP.

In relation to weight, how do you determine ideal race weight? Is it simply as light as you can get without losing power? Also what is the ideal off season weight as a % of ideal race weight.

Cheers

NSF