more

Swim coach west Melb?

Hi all, Im sick of banging my head against the wall and getting no where with my swimming. Can anyone recommend a swim coach in Melbourne? Ideally inner west.

Also while Im at it how does everyone manage to train in the morning when the lanes are always taken by squad? How do you fit it in around work as waiting for squad to finish normally makes it to late to swim and make it to work in time? I guess this is part of my problem as my swims are restricted mostly to weekends due lane availability.

• Thanks 1

These guys are great.

Plenty of squad sessions  I go Tuesday nights  

And the open water during summer is awesome at Williamstown beach. I was Swimming 4K open water most Saturdays over summer. 

E3BD885A-87C6-4ABD-9101-A73E2EA13608.png

• Thanks 1

Awesome, thanks so much! So do they have contact email/number, or do you just turn up? I don't have Facebook..

Edited by more
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, more said:

Awesome, thanks so much! So do they have contact email/number, or do you just turn up? I don't have Facebook..

Yay for no Facebook. 

But it's tough to find out what is happening in Tri Clubs etc. 

Oh well. Can't be too important 

4 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Yay for no Facebook. 

But it's tough to find out what is happening in Tri Clubs etc. 

Oh well. Can't be too important 

Yeah I really don't like facebook-Im one of those weirdos that call and see the people i want to see and talk to and use viber for group chats/photos etc lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, more said:

There are probably some very easy to identify flaws. Definitely get some coaching, but stick a video up on here and/or ST, you'll get some excellent advice/feedback. 

Note with a lot of squads, you're only going to get a limited amount of stroke correction. There are a lot of whiteboard coaches out there, especially in triathlon squads. And the good coaches out there who will point out your problems are having to watch 30 other people. Plus they're not seeing what's going on underwater. If you're frustrated with your swimming, get a 1 on 1 coach, or do a one off session where they video you and analyse your stroke. Just doing laps and volume won't sort your swimming out. You'll get quicker, but will remain hamstrung if you're not swimming right. You can't swim sub 1.20s with sh!t technique. 

4 minutes ago, zed said:

There are probably some very easy to identify flaws. Definitely get some coaching, but stick a video up on here and/or ST, you'll get some excellent advice/feedback. 

Note with a lot of squads, you're only going to get a limited amount of stroke correction. There are a lot of whiteboard coaches out there, especially in triathlon squads. And the good coaches out there who will point out your problems are having to watch 30 other people. Plus they're not seeing what's going on underwater. If you're frustrated with your swimming, get a 1 on 1 coach, or do a one off session where they video you and analyse your stroke. Just doing laps and volume won't sort your swimming out. You'll get quicker, but will remain hamstrung if you're not swimming right. You can't swim sub 1.20s with sh!t technique. 

Thanks mate. I guess thats my problem-Im more than happy to pay for one on one coaching but Im amazed how there is next to nothing that I can find on google! I will definitely take up your advice on getting the missus to take some footage as Id really appreciate the input.

I guess I really dont understand my problem-with the snorkel I can swim 2ks no problem at all and feel good glide thought he water. But get rid of the snorkel and I struggle so much with breathing-every 3 strokes feels like Im out of breath and every 2 stroke feels too much and i feel like I'm hyperventilating or something...the whole thing just goes from nice and relaxed with a snorkel to a struggle without.

17 minutes ago, more said:

Thanks mate. I guess thats my problem-Im more than happy to pay for one on one coaching but Im amazed how there is next to nothing that I can find on google! I will definitely take up your advice on getting the missus to take some footage as Id really appreciate the input.

I guess I really dont understand my problem-with the snorkel I can swim 2ks no problem at all and feel good glide thought he water. But get rid of the snorkel and I struggle so much with breathing-every 3 strokes feels like Im out of breath and every 2 stroke feels too much and i feel like I'm hyperventilating or something...the whole thing just goes from nice and relaxed with a snorkel to a struggle without.

Send some emails to the better reputed coaches offering $50 for a half hour one on one session either directly before or after one of their squad sessions.  They're already at pool so have nothing to lose.  I did this and got 3 easy things to work on that immediately saved time..

Just now, pieman said:

Send some emails to the better reputed coaches offering $50 for a half hour one on one session either directly before or after one of their squad sessions.  They're already at pool so have nothing to lose.  I did this and got 3 easy things to work on that immediately saved time..

But who are the better reputed coaches? Either my google skills suck or I just can't find squat?

21 minutes ago, more said:

Breathing every 3 can leave you out of breath, good for symmetry, but perhaps stick to 2 at first. I would guess you're not exhaling underwater and holding your breath. You should always be breathing, either in or out, never holding your breath. Use a pull buoy or fins (i.e some form of support) slow your swimming right down and focus on getting your breathing controlled and rhythmic. You hold your breath, you'll quickly get gassed. Focus on breathing out as soon as your face goes back in the water. Exaggerate breathing out at first, bubbles going everywhere. 

Don't be afraid to tinker around with your breathing patterns. Nothing wrong with mixing up every 2, 3, 4. I quite like breathing 4, 2, 4. But I can only breathe like that at moderate pace. It really emphasises how much breathing can affect your swimming rhythm. Going from 4-2-4 back to every 2 and it feels like sh!t and inefficient. 

Also make sure with your breathing that you're not lifting your chin/head to breathe, you're rotating your head in line with your body , so inline with the natural rotation of the body. You start moving your head around, lifting it up etc it wrecks your body position and just slows you right down. Only one eye out the water when you breathe. 

Try hypoxic drills. 200m, change every 50m, change 3, 5, 7, 9. doesn't matter if you can't make the last few, keep at it. Dealing with oxygen debt is IMO quite important. You get a lot of people that struggle to tumble-turn beyond 200m because they can't tolerate the oxygen debt. I find doing the hypoxic drills also helps with your breathing, especially exhaling. You try holding your breath when you're breathing every 9 strokes!

I breath 224. more efficient than every 2, more air than 3 or 4. Once you get used to the rhythm it's the perfect combo for me.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Customer said:

I breath 224. more efficient than every 2, more air than 3 or 4. Once you get used to the rhythm it's the perfect combo for me.

You should try 4-2-4. Feels really good. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zed said:

Not a bad option. Got a few mates that have done his group sessions. You don't always get Brenton though. 

Just make sure you do. 

Grant giles taught me 

2-3-2 

• Like 1

232 is ok if you're fine breathing both sides. In race situations people always go to their preferred breathing side. No right or wrong but many assume that breathing patterns have to be 2s or 3s or 4s. They don't think to mix it to 242 or 232. Sutto gave me 224 and now I can't do anything else. 😂

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, more said:

... I struggle so much with breathing-every 3 strokes feels like Im out of breath and every 2 stroke feels too much and i feel like I'm hyperventilating or something...the whole thing just goes from nice and relaxed with a snorkel to a struggle without.

play around with sides. I can't do every 3 unless my legs are removed (and I'm slow when happens) and like you, every 2 is too much, so I've recently settled on 3322 which means I breathe more to the right, but it works for moderate efforts. 

I also hold my breath a little, but the breath is gone by the time my head is tuened. I've read here it's not good, but it's what I was taught to do to stop the mild asthmatic wheeze as a kid

WOW!!! Some great advice here, thank you so much!! You don’t understand how frustrating this swimming is and I’m really excited to try anything that people can suggest. I’ve watched every bloody YouTube video there is but not one of them recommends changing up your breath rate, but it’s seems like such a logical and great idea!

Cheers!!

14 hours ago, zed said:

You get a lot of people that struggle to tumble-turn beyond 200m because they can't tolerate the oxygen debt.

Just as an aside, how important are tumble turns for the open water swimmer? I don't do them, partly because of the above, mostly cause I'm a triathlon swimmer ;) 

Xblane, not important for average age grouper. But if you're trying move up in your swim performance and plan to train with the fast swimmers in a squad, I'd suggest you spend some time learning to tumble turn. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, xblane said:

Just as an aside, how important are tumble turns for the open water swimmer? I don't do them, partly because of the above, mostly cause I'm a triathlon swimmer ;) 

You could argue irrelevant?  But I've done a few choppy races this season including Cairns where you don't always get to breathe every 2, you go to breathe, you get smashed in the face with water, swallow water and then a bit of panic can set in. I always feel a little bit panicky, it's innate, but if you deal with it in training, you can deal with it in a race. A few people got pulled from the water in Cairns because they struggled in the chop, most were allowed to finish the bike, run but were a DNF. Those hypoxic drills will help in those situations, you aim to breathe every 2, but there may be times where it's every 4 or 6. Depending on the chop/swell. And TTs are part of that. Do them, but if you have to do them every other lap, then do so, you'll get better. Work on fast tumble turns, less time under water and exhale. Ultimately you want to be able to turn, dolphin kick of the wall and not breathe for the first stroke (breakout). You get that sorted, you'll knock 5s off your 100m without any improvement in your swim fitness. 

Edited by zed
  • Like 2

On 17/06/2018 at 4:46 PM, more said:

Yeah I really don't like facebook-Im one of those weirdos that call and see the people i want to see and talk to and use viber for group chats/photos etc lol

Edit.... LOL 

I do have a Facebook account. Until after Busso. But it's under an alias. Sick of the shit. 

Cheers 

Some really really great help so far from everyone, but I still feel what I really need is an actual coach to provide one on one training.

I love the idea of getting involved in a squad but at the moment Id just be getting in everyone's way-200m and I'm gassed :(

7 minutes ago, more said:

Some really really great help so far from everyone, but I still feel what I really need is an actual coach to provide one on one training.

I love the idea of getting involved in a squad but at the moment Id just be getting in everyone's way-200m and I'm gassed :(

most squads will have lanes for people like you and should scale workouts to each lane. Fast lane might do 400m reps, slow lane 200m or whatever. Dont ever feel that you are unworthy, if any coach or squad makes you feel that way then they arent worth giving your money to anyway

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, more said:

Definitely get a one on one coach. They will identify flaws and work on each individual flaw (giving you relevant drills) until you're on the way to fixing it. You won't get that with a squad. See if you get your partner to video you though, as most struggling swimmers have the same easily identifiable problems, crap body position, poor catch and pull, poor kick, lack of body rotation, cross-over, breathing issues, stroke rate. Some of those problems are easily fixed.

Edited by zed

On 17/06/2018 at 5:53 PM, The Customer said:

I quite like that. Used it for 10 x 100s last night. Cheers :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I got the missus to tape me on the iPhone, what’s the easiest way to post it on here?

2 hours ago, more said:

So I got the missus to tape me on the iPhone, what’s the easiest way to post it on here?

Taped doing what exactly..... 

37 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Taped doing what exactly..... 

Lol, tape my ugly ugly swim stroke...

• Haha 1

Pausing at the front of the stroke upon entry. Throw the arms over faster. Downward entry. Eliminate the glide. 

But that's what I know. 

Not what I can do. 

My 2 cents 

Three things for me:- 

1. Cross over in stroke - work on entry in front of shoulders, if it feels too wide it’s likely right. 

2. Lifting head to breath - there is a lift, tuck chin in 

3. Body position - hold that 20cent piece between butt, streamline in push offs to feel the core engaged. 

You swim very similar to me, all of the above is advice given to me over time.

I would get a coach - the good thing is there is some long hanging fruit that will see immediate improvement. 

Agree with cross over stroke issue. This is also causing your pull to go too far under your body.

A good drill for this would be a wide arm catch up - so look forward as you swim (head still under water but looking slightly forward so you can see your hand entry) ensuing hands remain shoulder width apart. Then pull straight down.

Another issue to work on later is your left elbow drop - it looks like your elbow touches the water at the same time as your hand. But fix cross over first

Thanks all for the tips so far :) One thing that really annoys me about my stroke is my ugly recovery-any tips for that?

15 minutes ago, more said:

Thanks all for the tips so far :) One thing that really annoys me about my stroke is my ugly recovery-any tips for that?

Personally I wouldn't worry about that. What happens above the water mean 2/5 of FA. A lot of very good freestylers have what looks like shocking recovery. 

• Thanks 1