Bored@work

FTP & Ironman power

My mate has a FTP of 255w but rode an avg power of 141w at ironman last weekend. Did he take it too easy on the bike?

5 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

My mate has a FTP of 255w but rode an avg power of 141w at ironman last weekend. Did he take it too easy on the bike?

Is your mate female?

I would say your mate rode easy, but what was his run time?

based on me

FTP about 220w at time of IM Aus (was up from 203w)

Average power 165W, normalised 195W

weight approx 90kg, on a road bike with clip-ons, 6hr 40 ride

run time 5hr 30min 

43 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

The numbers I have say that for an FTP of 255, he should have ridden 170-184 watts in an IM.

Your mate rode the power I have for an IM - and my FTP is 212.

I guess the outcome (run) will say a lot.   Mabe the bike course was tricky to hold power?  Maybe he was crook or something?   

Was that Cairns?

The key to a good run time is to ride like a man who is going to run well - it looks like "your mate" held back in the bike - there was a pretty strong head wind out there and that would have given someone the chance to get a good average power figure but a long "run" - depends how you handled the wind 

1 hour ago, AP said:

The key to a good run time is to ride like a man who is going to run well - it looks like "your mate" held back in the bike - there was a pretty strong head wind out there and that would have given someone the chance to get a good average power figure but a long "run" - depends how you handled the wind 

If it was me, I would have said “my power was” 

& my ftp is higher than 255

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

What time did they ride?

Just now, Aidan said:

What time did they ride?

Was it Texas, and they rode a 5:15?

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

141/255 is 55%

It’s on the low end 

4CA08696-6994-46CF-B8E2-E7EC30F0201A.png

But we don’t know what is NP was. This chart only refers to NP and TSS. If he rode an VI of say 1.18 as in rory-dognz situation than his NP would be an IF of around 0.65. so for someone slightly less than 6 hours this is in a normal range. Just look at the run and see how even it was to get some feedback.

• Thanks 1

Interesting topic. I’ve raced on feel for years, not even a distance comp.  Last Oct I got an Elite Direto and in Feb I got a Forerunner 935. According to my calibrated Elite/Zwift my FTP is 267 but I don’t have a PM so I’m not sure what use this is to me in a race? :lol: With the watch, at least I know how far I’ve gone now.  

Then last night I was watching GTN’s clip of Ellie Salthouse’s Trek SC and she races completely on feel. Last Saturday I did a 4hr nutrition test ride in undulated but not hilly terrain. I rode within myself on feel and after 4hrs had done bang on 120km.

Not sure what I’m trying to say but I’ve pondered a PM on the bike but there seems to be a lot of folks out there that have a PM and then throw the discipline out of the window in a race.

When I read about NP, AP etc my head explodes. I can deal with it on the turbo but not sure about outside.

Edited by FatPom

Yeah FP 

It's a great training tool. But it is the feeling that you have to train/maintain as well. They go hand in hand. 

For example if your PM is reading weirdly on race day and you still follow the number. 

But they're great fun, power meters. I love geeking out on them. 🤓🤓

Boulder is at 1,600m elevation. Takes at least 3 weeks (or a pint of EPO) to acclimatise and build up red blood cell count. Without sufficient time at altitude, power output is going to be significantly lower.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FatPom said:

When I read about NP, AP etc my head explodes. I can deal with it on the turbo but not sure about outside.

Due to the nature of turbo training, unless you are doing interval work it's quite likely for NP to be pretty close to average power anyway. Where NP helps with outdoor evaluation of pacing is as a broad assessment of whether you are overdoing it at times, e.g. on hills/inclines. As the ratio of NP to AP rises (e.g. start heading north of 1.03 on flat terrain and 1.05 on hillier terrain), it's an indicator that pacing may need work, as well as an indicator that you needlessly burned glycogen during various unnecessary over-power forays.

2 hours ago, steve said:

Boulder is at 1,600m elevation. Takes at least 3 weeks (or a pint of EPO) to acclimatise and build up red blood cell count. Without sufficient time at altitude, power output is going to be significantly lower.

Power output at that altitude will typically be 7% - 9% lower for a sea level athlete.

Even so, cycling speed on flat terrain will be up 2% - 4% due to reduced air density, but no such joy on climbs though where the speed loss will more closely match the power loss.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, FatPom said:

According to my calibrated Elite/Zwift my FTP is 267 but I don’t have a PM so I’m not sure what use this is to me in a race? 

I'm in almost the exact same boat, same power (Neo/Zwift), no PM. My last race I was trying to evenly split 3 lap bike course based on feel, but was frustrated getting off the bike as I felt like I'd faded. Legs were good to run though (for me anyway :D). Looking at the data afterwards, I negatively split each lap and was absolutely stoked. Not sure what I can chalk that up to. 

One of my favourite axioms is 'Feelings lie'. I had never equated that with triathlon though. I like racing by feel. I suspect I'd also like racing with a PM. What to do when the feelings lie?!

Pithy Power Proverb:

Power calibrates perceived exertion, perceived exertion modulates power.

Long distance triathlon presents a tricky pacing challenge because unlike a cycling time trial over the same distance, the bike leg is ridden sub-maximally.

Edited by Alex Simmons
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

Long distance triathlon presents a tricky pacing challenge because unlike a cycling time trial over the same distance, the bike leg is ridden sub-maximally.

This is the reason I suggest using the approach "ride like a man who is going to run well" - it's what I use myself - I use a PM in training and get to know where the limits are through regular measurements, I get to know what it feels like to be close to limits so that when I race I go by feel and instinct, I don't even wear a watch in most races 😏 but I have a lot of experience at racing these longer races 

• Like 4

I thought FTP was dead! That's what the adds on FB keep telling me, lol.

• Haha 1