goughy

Plastic bag ban.....

2 minutes ago, downesy68 said:

Been back in SA for 18 months now where the bag ban has been in for years. 

Newsflash: The world didn’t end. 

By the way, we have this other silly little idea here that no one has cottoned on to for 40 years. Container Deposit Legislation. Can’t wait to see the Eastern States lose their minds over that one when it’s inevitably introduced. “What do you mean I have to pay 10c extra for my drink?” 😂😂

We get the refund over here already but I don't think the price went up...

19 minutes ago, monkie said:

We get the refund over here already but I don't think the price went up...

Yeah, I’m not even sure that we actually pay more. We’re one of those terrible families that buys the 24x600ml water for my partner’s kids to take to school. It’s about $8.00 at Coles and we get $2.40 back when we return them. I know when I was living in Qld they were about $8 there. 

A QUT study has found Woolworths & Coles are likely to make a combines profit of $71M this year on the sale of reusable plastic bags, and save a further $171M by not providing the single use ones free. 

We should be seeing some more discounts I suppose, or the farmers will get paid more. 

Did anybody see that pig fly by?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A QUT study has found Woolworths & Coles are likely to make a combines profit of $71M this year on the sale of reusable plastic bags, and save a further $171M by not providing the single use ones free. 

We should be seeing some more discounts I suppose, or the farmers will get paid more. 

Hey ho. I'm sure a lot of your super is in both Woolies and Wesfarmers so we all benefit and we reduce plastic killing animals and us. Yeah Australia suffers from duopolies but that's just the way it is. To be fair they've been giving out replacement bags for free and don't seem to be planning on stopping that for a while. Here in Chatswood I went to Woolies today and everybody just put stuff in their backpacks. Hooray!

12 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

There is also an academic study saying that to have best effect bags should be charged for.

Whether Coles and Woolworths should benefit is a different question.

We have ****ed the environment for too long.

There is a cost to fixing it (to the extent that it ever can).

That will be a financial and inconvenience cost. It applies to the issue of single use plastic as much as it applies to electricity costs.  Yes, they will be greater.  People have to deal with it and accept that it is a direct cost of fixing what we have stuffed in the past.

15 minutes ago, lawman said:

There is also an academic study saying that to have best effect bags should be charged for.

Whether Coles and Woolworths should benefit is a different question.

We have ****ed the environment for too long.

There is a cost to fixing it (to the extent that it ever can).

That will be a financial and inconvenience cost. It applies to the issue of single use plastic as much as it applies to electricity costs.  Yes, they will be greater.  People have to deal with it and accept that it is a direct cost of fixing what we have stuffed in the past.

I've got no issue with getting rid of the bags, but the fact that I walked into Coles yesterday and bought a plastic wrapped cucumber, then put it in another plastic bag in the fruit section, and get to the checkout to have the guy ask me if I wanted to buy a plastic bags just screams ridiculous.

10 hours ago, monkie said:

Hey ho. I'm sure a lot of your super is in both Woolies and Wesfarmers so we all benefit and we reduce plastic killing animals and us. Yeah Australia suffers from duopolies but that's just the way it is. To be fair they've been giving out replacement bags for free and don't seem to be planning on stopping that for a while. Here in Chatswood I went to Woolies today and everybody just put stuff in their backpacks. Hooray!

That's the same as in Redfern.. (except they skip the checkout after putting the stuff in backpacks..)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I've got no issue with getting rid of the bags, but the fact that I walked into Coles yesterday and bought a plastic wrapped cucumber, then put it in another plastic bag in the fruit section, and get to the checkout to have the guy ask me if I wanted to buy a plastic bags just screams ridiculous.

Hey Ex,

Agreed, but tell me that was for effect and you didn't really ........

4 minutes ago, lawman said:

Hey Ex,

Agreed, but tell me that was for effect and you didn't really ........

I knew I had to go to another shop to grab a couple things and figured I may as well carry them all in one bag.

Coles have absolutely no issue with putting plastic out there into the environment. I've bought a single breadroll, and was told I had to put it in one of the bags they put next to them. You can grab as many of these bread or fruit bags as you want. If I ever buy a corned beef, it comes in a plastic bag, but there's usually blood & juice on the outside, so I put it in a fruit bag as well. 

I don't think I've ever not re-used the "single use" bags though. They carry my lunch, my clothes, my shoes, and after they've done that a few times, my rubbish. I even re-use the fruit bags. They've been very handy over the years, but I suppose I'll just find something else to put all this stuff in.

1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I knew I had to go to another shop to grab a couple things and figured I may as well carry them all in one bag.

Coles have absolutely no issue with putting plastic out there into the environment. I've bought a single breadroll, and was told I had to put it in one of the bags they put next to them. You can grab as many of these bread or fruit bags as you want. If I ever buy a corned beef, it comes in a plastic bag, but there's usually blood & juice on the outside, so I put it in a fruit bag as well. 

I don't think I've ever not re-used the "single use" bags though. They carry my lunch, my clothes, my shoes, and after they've done that a few times, my rubbish. I even re-use the fruit bags. They've been very handy over the years, but I suppose I'll just find something else to put all this stuff in.

Most people I think intend to reuse the single use supermarket ones. We have had a shopping bag holder thing hanging in our kitchen for 20 years, it used to overflow so we'd just throw out the bags from the weekly shopping every week, now that bag is empty and our car boots have the long life reusable ones.

30 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Most people I think intend to reuse the single use supermarket ones. We have had a shopping bag holder thing hanging in our kitchen for 20 years, it used to overflow.

I think this is one of the problems. Everyone has a bag full of plastic bags somewhere in the kitchen, we use to do the groceries and come back with about 10-15 bags, there is no way we were reusing all of them each week. So then ended up going into the bin. 

13 "reusable" plastic bags will add less than $2 to your weekly shop and make you feel good that you are doing something to help the environment.  Next shop you invariably forget your bags, berate yourself and pay another $2.  It will reduce the issue a little as people don't take bags for one or two item shops but the reality is that the people who actually care enough about the issue were undoubtedly already using reusable bags.  $2 a week is not enough incentive to change behaviour.

Numerous studies have shown that when people do something that makes them feel good they are more likely to do something bad in the same field because it is already offset by the previous action.  It's one of the reasons why a day of dieting often ends in a food based treat and why people who pay extra for renewable energy are far less likely to make any attempt to cut their power usage in spite of the fact that the higher price makes it more rewarding to do so.

20 hours ago, Stikman said:

$2 a week is not enough incentive to change bbehavior

5p a bag did in the UK...