goughy

Plastic bag ban.....

So how do you fill, then unload, then reload your trolley with those things? 

Fill trolley as usual. Trolley bags hang off handle of trolley all folded up. Load groceries on conveyor. Install trolley bags into trolley. When Aldi checkout operator scans at speed of light you speed sort into different trolley bags. They come apart for loading into car and car-house.

3 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Fill trolley as usual. Trolley bags hang off handle of trolley all folded up. Load groceries on conveyor. Install trolley bags into trolley. When Aldi checkout operator scans at speed of light you speed sort into different trolley bags. They come apart for loading into car and car-house.

Aaah, I don't do Aldi, none real convenient to us yet, apparently one is going in Sharks carpark along with Woolies and Dan Murphys soon though. 

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

yeah thats the concept and its not just Aldi related, they have been for sale elsewhere and see some people using them in coles and woolies etc...

OT but still plastic!  We've run out of water so are now buying our drinking water (for tea/coffee's as well).  But should I be buying the big 10L tapped bottles, or the cartons of 600ml bottles?  Price is about the same.  Is one worse than the other?

Few things to consider 

Do you have a multi reuse of the large bottle at home?

Check the recycling mound on the 10l if 1 for pet then good to recycle?

then weight of plastic 10l may use more plastic also energy efficiency of mouldings will be less on smaller bottles as made on more energy efficient machines. 

Last my plant doesn’t make 10l so not keeping me in a job

Can't you get a tanker in?

The tanker fill-up point in Samford has been running non-stop for the past week or 2. There was one filling & another waiting when I went past before 5am this morning.

We don't really want town water in our tanks.  In particular if they use the fill up point near us, as our particular town water comes from a bore, which isn't the issue!  It's heavily chlorinated; turn on a tap and it smells like an indoor council pool.  It's undrinkable.

Nope, we'll be fine.  Our tanks have only run dry once before in the last nine years, and was only for a month last time.  Though I think will be longer this time.  And for us is all or nothing the way the house is plumbed; it's everything on tank, or everything on town.  In a year's time the area is getting connected to the main town supply which will be better, cept they're doubling or access fee and water usage fees :(

It was just the talk earlier about how plastic water bottles are such an issue.  Last time we ran out, I was buying those.  This time I'm buying those big 10l containers, and was thinking they still take up as much room in the recycled bin, but I guess from a recycling standpoint it's possibly better?

21 minutes ago, goughy said:

This time I'm buying those big 10l containers, and was thinking they still take up as much room in the recycled bin, but I guess from a recycling standpoint it's possibly better?

The logic goes the larger the volume, the less surface area so therefore should be less plastic.  But check for the PET1 or PETE symbol as these are supposedly the best for recycling and the least damaging for health

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Have you thought of a bore?

How much is the minimum cost of sinking a bore? My relatives had a quote of $200K. Luckily they were able to negotiate to buy water from their neighbour who has a bore to get them through until it rains. They just had to run pipe to their system. The watercourse that runs through their place north of Gundy is bone dry for the first time they can remember.

4 minutes ago, Parkside said:

How much is the minimum cost of sinking a bore? My relatives had a quote of $200K. Luckily they were able to negotiate to buy water from their neighbour who has a bore to get them through until it rains. They just had to run pipe to their system. The watercourse that runs through their place north of Gundy is bone dry for the first time they can remember.

It all depends on the depth required. A few around our area use them. $200k sounds a lot. Here most bores are between 100 and 300 feet to get to the aquifier, and quotes are between $6K to $20K. Another $1,500 for a filter system to have it ready to drink. 

9 minutes ago, Parkside said:

How much is the minimum cost of sinking a bore? 

Been a while, but think it was something for like $30K for a water source that is not that deep, basically you pay a set amount to start with a few metres of piping included, then you pay for every bit of extra length needed to go to find the water.  The deeper you go the more expensive, but also the more reliable the source in the dry.  Also depends on the water flow rate (ie width of the piping) and the type of country / soil being dug through.  Sandy / Rocky soil tends to chew through the equipment alot more than the clay

31 minutes ago, Parkside said:

How much is the minimum cost of sinking a bore? 

Coupla hundred at my place but it’s only 3m of sand so probably not that tricky.