goughy

Plastic bag ban.....

2 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Every pub, club and licensed venue supplies a straw for every non-beer sold.

These days up here they tend to just have a glass of straws on the bar for you to take one if you want it. I've been noticing a lot less people using them too.

Not that I am at the bar often. ;)

Yep straws self serve on the bar here in the deep south as well. My wife gets a new straw for every drink, why not hold onto the same straw all night, or do what some venues have done and replace with stainless steel that you buy for $1, can wash and reuse for ever

I wonder how long till those straws are gone as well. I've never used them myself (I hate soft drink through a straw) but my wife & kids always use them. I tend to "forget" to get them when I'm sent up to get a round though.

What will macca's and hungry jacks do?  Their milkshakes and frozen cokes with no straw/spoon straw.

Very hard to find a straw in most outlets in the UK now. Saw one place using pasta straws!

8 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Very hard to find a straw in most outlets in the UK now. Saw one place using pasta straws!

How do you deal with a thick shake?

22 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

How do you deal with a thick shake?

Have no idea, I don't drink that shite. 

• Like 1

I bought a cocktail in a tall glass the other evening and asked for a straw, was denied. I didn't enjoy drinking my cocktail without a straw and a paper one might have been reasonably able to be offered instead. We ended up googling stainless ones which I can buy and keep in my handbag for such emergency situations. 

I also collected my first woolies pickup and paid the $1 for the resuable bags. I didn't actually realise they were intended to be reusable but did note how thick they were. I will probably end up with a lot of them which probably won't end up being used terribly often as although they are tick, I still don't think they are tough enough for particularly regular use. I also think people will still use them as single use. 

I suppose I would really like to see 'plastic' bags which are a large percentage recyclable and break down rapidly to minimise the impact on wildlife. 

4 minutes ago, Katz said:

I suppose I would really like to see 'plastic' bags which are a large percentage recyclable and break down rapidly to minimise the impact on wildlife. 

they are called paper bags

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Katz said:

We ended up googling stainless ones which I can buy and keep in my handbag for such emergency situations. 

And then security are going to confiscate your metal stabbing weapon :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tyno said:

no they aren't, venues are selling them over the bar for $1

8 hours ago, Parkside said:

no they aren't, venues are selling them over the bar for $1

they used to serve in glass too but it only takes a few incident to change that..

11 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

they are called paper bags

Perhaps a wax coated or something so wet items don't destroy them on the way home? 

11 hours ago, Tyno said:

Gratefully I am not particularly inclined to go to establishments which search your bag on the way in or serve only in plastic cups.

I got to thinking today - with the sale of "reusable" plastic bags being OK, what constitutes a single use bag, in so far as the legislation is concerned?

2 hours ago, Tyno said:

I got to thinking today - with the sale of "reusable" plastic bags being OK, what constitutes a single use bag, in so far as the legislation is concerned?

I think it relates to the thickness of the bag, the see through grey things at Coles that rip with a sharp corner are out. The Aldi plastic ones I think would qualify, they may also be biodegradable, they dissolve in air if you leave them packed with stuff in the garage or shed for a year.

We had a bag on Friday night from Coles that did not even make a single use, boxed products and super thin bags do not play well together :wallbash: 

Although, maybe it was a message to not purchase the half price Sara Lee sticky date pudding.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MissJess said:

Although, maybe it was a message to not purchase the half price Sara Lee sticky date pudding.

The calories are also discounted in proportion to the % price discount.

What I haven't thought of is the local corner shops!  Just been out walking the dog, and thought could use some bread and other stuff.  Had my phone with me so could pay, but needed a bag to carry the stuff home.  Hadn't planned on going to the shop when I started walking, and the dude at the counter reminded me that in 4 days they won't have those bags anymore.  

On 25/06/2018 at 6:26 AM, monkie said:

Maccas in the UK are reverting to paper straws. 🙂

I still remember drinking real malted milkshakes using paper straws with coloured swirl pattern. Bring em back!

13 hours ago, softy said:

I still remember drinking real malted milkshakes using paper straws with coloured swirl pattern. Bring em back!

In the cold metal cups straight from under the machine as well.  Thankfully found one place that still does them like that and introduced my kids to what real milkshakes should be like

• Like 2

On 26/06/2018 at 4:05 PM, goughy said:

What I haven't thought of is the local corner shops!  Just been out walking the dog, and thought could use some bread and other stuff.  Had my phone with me so could pay, but needed a bag to carry the stuff home.  Hadn't planned on going to the shop when I started walking, and the dude at the counter reminded me that in 4 days they won't have those bags anymore.  

Same here. I use public transport to/from work.  To stop in to the shops on the way home I now can't pick much up.  Will have to learn to bring a shopping bag with me.

Personally, I'm somewhat cynical about the bag ban. I'm all for helping the environment but I think this is a token gesture and somewhat falsified (as people will now buy bags...which are the heavier, less environmentally friendly ones) so I wish I'd bought shares in Glad.  I will now unwrap the plastic packaging from the herbs, fruit and veg, etc. and leave it at the counter on the way out...

I'm also confused. if we go back to paper, as some suggest, isn't that just leading to an increase in the felling of trees?  which is why we went so anti paper a number of years back??

11 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Same here. I use public transport to/from work.  To stop in to the shops on the way home I now can't pick much up.  Will have to learn to bring a shopping bag with me.

Personally, I'm somewhat cynical about the bag ban. I'm all for helping the environment but I think this is a token gesture and somewhat falsified (as people will now buy bags...which are the heavier, less environmentally friendly ones) so I wish I'd bought shares in Glad.  I will now unwrap the plastic packaging from the herbs, fruit and veg, etc. and leave it at the counter on the way out...

I'm also confused. if we go back to paper, as some suggest, isn't that just leading to an increase in the felling of trees?  which is why we went so anti paper a number of years back??

There is a specific issue with lightweight plastic bags (and general lightweight plastic) in that by its nature it is difficult to manage in the waste chain because they literally blow away. The plastic is also very difficult to recycle.

The trees used for paper bags are planted specifically for that purpose and new ones are planted in their place so it's much more sustainable and doesn't kill animals like plastic bags do.

• Like 1