MissJess

Short pools

I thought I would start a separate thread. The apartment building I have moved into has a 20m indoor pool with 3 small lanes.

Looking for ideas for how best to use it during the week, as my weekends I will likely go do one long session (500m-1km+ sets) at Olympic Park.

15 minutes ago, MissJess said:

I thought I would start a separate thread. The apartment building I have moved into has a 20m indoor pool with 3 small lanes.

Looking for ideas for how best to use it during the week, as my weekends I will likely go do one long session (500m-1km+ sets) at Olympic Park.

My Tip is mix it up with both sprints and endurance. I trained for Ironman China in 2008 in a 15M pool. So it can be done.... but like I said. you go a bit crazy......... and.....I can't tell you the number of times I lost count of what lap I was on!!!

• Like 1

That would do my head in!

Make sure you do tumble turns, good for hypoxic training.

Tether yourself and swim by time. 

I've done it in a pool just bigger than me

• Like 2

I do a lot of strength drills, paddles. Don’t be afraid to wear a cotton shirt or rash type shirt to make it harder to pull though the water. I have seen some parachute type things that makes you work a lot harder however, the person behind might get annoyed. 

FM

• Like 1

When I stay in Melbourne the motel we get has a 15m pool. I sometimes head up to a public pool, but generally just do a lot of real fast stuff. One of my peers from Sydney that is usually there comes down too, & we race. He has no fitness, but as a youngster was in an Olympic tryout squad, so can still put in a few good sprints. If I'm on my own I basically "play", doing flat out efforts followed by other strokes etc.

Also see if you can try eliminating tumble turns/big push offs.. get the most out of every lap

18 minutes ago, Waza said:

Also see if you can try eliminating tumble turns/big push offs.. get the most out of every lap

This too. When I'm not racing my mate, I turn with no push.

• Like 1

Heed the advice here and make the most of free pool to use.  No travel to pool hence give you more time to train or recover or even strength train 

fingers crossed the pool has lines marked on the floor or the walls are a different coloured tile. 

I used to swim in a 35m pool (it was an old ammunition bunker converted into a pool) the floor & sides were the same colour with no markings. 

The biggest issue was smashing into the walls.

I just swam to time. 10min easy, 10min hard etc 

• Haha 2

@Bored@work Yeah, it has lines marked.

@Turts I have been thinking about a thether, I read about them on Suttos page.

@Waza I can't tumble turn anyway, I get dizzy! :blush:

@Flanman I have been thinking about creating resistance with shirts or drag shorts.

@Ex-Hasbeen @Fitness Buddy @IronmanFoz I have been thinking about all of that as well.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will give them all a try.

I've tried swim training with a tether but found it compromised my rotation - not actually moving through the water = no bow wave to breath into = gulps of water = over rotating to get a clear breath

Not sure if I'm doing it wrong but this combined with it being mind numbingly dull means that I just use the small pool for things like sculling, kicks and pool running & core rotation drills

For 20 years I did most of my swim training in a 20m pool on a mine site. I did a lot of swimming with paddles. I did not do a push off the wall.

I am on a site with no pool. Now I yearn for when I had a 20m pool.

• Thanks 1

For 20 years I did most of my swim training in a 20m pool on a mine site. I did a lot of swimming with paddles. I did not do a push off the wall.

I am on a site with no pool. Now I yearn for when I had a 20m pool.

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

This is my pool about 200m from my desk. Haven’t swam in there since September last year

AD97CA83-F525-4D77-9179-1CB329CA9F0A.png

Its not safe to swim alone. 

24 minutes ago, Peter said:

Its not safe to swim alone. 

They have a guard on duty from 6am to 9pm 7 days a week. I have never shared a lane. I think the most people I have ever seen in there was about 6 ppl

39 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Shit? 

Yes it's fine to do that alone 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

Yes it's fine to do that alone 😂

Often, even preferred

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Turts said:

Often, even preferred

Especially after a curry! :blush:

• Haha 2

On 13/06/2018 at 4:43 PM, Flanman said:

I do a lot of strength drills, paddles. Don’t be afraid to wear a cotton shirt or rash type shirt to make it harder to pull though the water. I have seen some parachute type things that makes you work a lot harder however, the person behind might get annoyed. 

FM

Boardshorts do the job too

• Like 1

My pool is a 25m outdoor one and is a 5 min walk from my office. I use it year round and find the best work outs to do are strength sets and technique drills. I rarely share a lane and this time of year, there's about 6 people in the pool at the most during the day.  Gets busier after work. 

Ps. It's free.

• Like 1

What is so short about a 20m pool when many elite swimmers have smashed out 70K a week plus in a 25m pool...and they are covering that 25m well faster than you'd be covering 20m.

I can't see why it requires any mods to a training session at all myself.

Plenty of US Olympians have grown up or still are logging countless hours each week in a 25-yard pool (22.5m).

Edited by MJK
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MJK said:

What is so short about a 20m pool when many elite swimmers have smashed out 70K a week plus in a 25m pool...and they are cover that 25m well faster than you'd be covering 20m.

I can't see why it requires any mods to a training session at all myself.

Called overthinking MJK.  

:dry: 

I get dizzy quite easily, 1k TTs (and even 500m sets) in a 25m pool have my head spinning.

12 minutes ago, MissJess said:

:dry: 

I get dizzy quite easily, 1k TTs (and even 500m sets) in a 25m pool have my head spinning.

You ought to try 100 x 100. Enough to send you batty.

My local was rebuilt a while back and lengthened to a 50m pool.

Prior to that it was a 33m pool!

It absolutely did my head in trying to keep count and work out how far I'd swum, especially when I got a bit tired. You get so used to counting 25's / 50's or 100s.