Sunnychick

Kona qualifier 15+

15 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

And to add. This young girl (Miss X) will go to Kona, race and finish. And down the track she'll be somewhere like at a party and the topic will come up about triathlon and Ironman etc..... and someone will go...... I think Miss X does triathlon & Ironman. Someone will say have you done the world Champs in Hawaii...... and she'll say yes.... No one will ask times etc and no one will care but the fact that she has done Kona will validate her amongst the Joe Public who only know about Kona.

Now...there are others amongst us who have done heaps and heaps of Ironman's but not Kona. And in the same situation above ....when you get asked have you done Kona.....and you say no..................Joe public will not validate you!!!! It's got to be a different vibe for you....

Miss X.... Go forth, Swim , ride, Run, and play.... The adventure is ahead of you..... Enjoy it.

If I went to a party & people started talking about Ironman & Kona. It's time to fking leave. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bored@work said:

If I went to a party & people started talking about Ironman & Kona. It's time to fking leave. 

Not to mention hanging out with douche bags who validate you because you have raced Kona. Fk it's time to get a better circle of friends. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

This is funny. I go on quite a lot of cycling camps and the one thing I can't stand talking about is cycling.  I don't wear a cycling shirt on the camps. We are all there to ride, I'd rather hear about something else and chat to my fellow  riders about other stuff.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Peter said:

Joe public would only ask something like that because said triathlete would start the conversation with, “id done an Ironman.”

And how often do we see people fall into that old trap. I love seeing that happen and get a good laugh.

43 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

A mate of mine has put on a bit of weight and can't race ironmans any more. When he hears people talking themselves up etc.... he always ask them questions (not letting them know he has raced ironmen) that get them to talk themselves up etc. he's leading them down a certain path and they don't know it.......and then when he has heard enough and he knows that there punters...... he goes... whats your best Ironman time? They go XX:XX.............he then says that's unreal etc etc etc... making them feel like really good before telling them he has done some in the past....blah blah blah..... Naturally they question back to him is whats you best time.... he tells them..... and yep..... Hook line and sinker!!!!!

Very funny.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

How do you know if there is an Ironman at a Party?

dont worry they will tell you 

I'm not like that, never bring it up in conversation, I just wear my Kona shirt and they ask me.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, KieranR said:

i dont get invited to parties so i never have to worry about talking about it :)

Have you done Kona?

10 minutes ago, KieranR said:

i dont get invited to parties so i never have to worry about talking about it :)

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Have you done Kona?

You'd get invited if you went to Kona.

• Haha 1

I'm like IronmanFoz's mate. I'm the fat guy that lets them hang themselves before making some comment that has them ask me if I could do better. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm like IronmanFoz's mate. I'm the fat guy that lets them hang themselves before making some comment that has them ask me if I could do better. 

I don't go to party's. I'm always in bed by 7pm so I can get up & do hill repeats in the rain.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In my insta feed today. 

Seriously. Why?

shes a great chick. Top athlete. But why?

DA89A9D2-29A4-4931-83B9-1F183F502DFB.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

Have you done Kona?

Nope - its a 99.9% chance that will never happen

8 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You'd get invited if you went to Kona.

I'll never get invited

There are many more ways to kona other than qualifying. 

I have a friend who is a nurse that has a spot this year. 

She volunteered last year. Gets a free spot this year. 

Or the Military scam spots. 

Just join the reserves. Off to kona after a little red tape 

56 minutes ago, Peter said:

In my insta feed today. 

Seriously. Why?

shes a great chick. Top athlete. But why?

DA89A9D2-29A4-4931-83B9-1F183F502DFB.jpeg

#throwbackthursday or is it #flashbackfriday Im not real good at insta I just let my manager take care of that sort of stuff.

• Haha 1

Should just be #gotnothingnewday  or #sameshitdifferentdayday

14 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

#throwbackthursday or is it #flashbackfriday Im not real good at insta I just let my manager take care of that sort of stuff.

Gee's i love a solid throw back post hashtag!

My 2c.  I think a few people here are missing the point.

This is age group racing.   Qualification spots are allocated for each age group.   People are only trying to qualify against those in their age group. If you want a race that is just all the fastest overall, run a race with the pros.  Or an open category.

But in AGE GROUP events, those that get a spot are therefore the best to represent their AGE GROUP.  This is a combination of those that:

- want to do the qualification IM

- can afford to

- get there uninjured and trained enough to finish

- finish under the cutoff

- want/can afford to go to Kona.

In some age groups, there are fewer that want to race in the first place, or want/can afford to go to Kona.

That's it.  That's the rules.  That's the process.

In any age group the above factors apply.

The process does NOT say that someone who qualifies for the only spot in a small age group with time X is any better than someone in a different age group who takes the 9th spot in a time of X-5. 

If you don't like it, race pro or open.

Like in the 70.3 worlds thread, and all the ITU worlds threads, it's mentioned about picking your races to get the best shot - where there will be fewer in your age group.  Life does that as well as location.  Fewer young people have the desire or the capacity.  Same with older groups.  And females.

There are reasons it's dominated by middle aged men - more time, more money, more macho, and, genetically predisposed to be faster and stronger.

• Like 6

Standards have dropped. Back in the day transitions scoffed at those who went over 10 hours. Then 13 became the benchmark. Now we have a thread where 15 plus for an under 30 is being defended. 

• Like 1

I haven't yet worked out why she needs defending?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, goughy said:

I haven't yet worked out why she needs defending?

4 pages. I don’t believe anyone has said she shouldn’t get the spot. 

So she doesn’t need defending. 

• Like 1

Like someone else said, she tuned up and raced, finished and was smart enough to go to the roll down and get her spot - good on her

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Standards have dropped. Back in the day transitions scoffed at those who went over 10 hours. Then 13 became the benchmark. Now we have a thread where 15 plus for an under 30 is being defended. 

Why does anything need defending? 

Transitions is for all correct? 1659 IM, sprint, OD. All. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Turts said:

Why does anything need defending? 

Transitions is for all correct? 1659 IM, sprint, OD. All. 

Little bit of humour here, chuckling at the standards that have been applied. Agree that the sport is for all and has he categories it has. About 6 years ago we were rubbished for being able bodied men under 50 and not going sub 10 in IM