Sunnychick

Kona qualifier 15+

13 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

She didn’t want it enough

No!! Clearly the missing ingredient was that she wasnt coached by the Great One but instead training with RBR...

Training with RBR, the bike leg should have been a breeze, though she might not have noticed the wind having her nose up the person in fronts clacker ;)

35 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

I find it funny how no one I have ever met is in an easy age group to KQ, yet everyone on here keeps pointing out which ones are easy.

:whistling:

1 hour ago, AP said:

No never met her - she deserves it - she turned up - didn't she go faster than your last Ironman :whistling:

She didn't go fastest but she 'was' the next fastest to take a spot. Good on her. She will now probably bring others into the sport due to the experience.

And it is the world championships for each age category. And I bet she doesn't come last :)

• Like 3

And to add. This young girl (Miss X) will go to Kona, race and finish. And down the track she'll be somewhere like at a party and the topic will come up about triathlon and Ironman etc..... and someone will go...... I think Miss X does triathlon & Ironman. Someone will say have you done the world Champs in Hawaii...... and she'll say yes.... No one will ask times etc and no one will care but the fact that she has done Kona will validate her amongst the Joe Public who only know about Kona.

Now...there are others amongst us who have done heaps and heaps of Ironman's but not Kona. And in the same situation above ....when you get asked have you done Kona.....and you say no..................Joe public will not validate you!!!! It's got to be a different vibe for you....

Miss X.... Go forth, Swim , ride, Run, and play.... The adventure is ahead of you..... Enjoy it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Joe public has no idea about Kona. Let alone the distances. 

its a fringe sport. 

People know as much about Kona as many on here would know who is the current EGAMES world Champion and what game they won it with playing. 

And a fark load more people follow e games now compared to ironman. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

Btw. EGAMES world champion 

The 2016 League of Legends World Championship - $5 million

Kona world championships for 2018

$650,000

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

its a fringe sport. 

People know as much about Kona as many on here would know who is the current EGAMES world Champion and what game they won it with playing. 

And a fark load more people follow e games now compared to ironman. 

Those that may ask......know only about the snippets they see on the News each October or because they know of friends who do it.

Yes it's a fringe sport. Who cares....At the end of the day...she qualified within the rules that apply. And that's what counts. Doesn't matter how fast or slow she went.

PS: I had know clue there was a E-Games World Champs....and likewise...who cares.....!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zed said:

But she would be lying though wouldn't she? Withholding information, as in allowing people to believe she's at or close to an elite level of fitness. Like telling someone you came 3rd in a race, soaking in all the praise and conveniently not telling them there were only 3 people in your AG. I've had to explain to quite a few people that I'm not an elite athlete when they find out I'm going to the worlds. You can see the cogs turning in their head as they try and figure out how a 46 year old is off to a world championships. It would be naughty of me to allow them believe that it was a world champs on a par with the swimming or athletics world champs. 

She would not be lying or withholding information........ because it would have been a passing question about a fringe sport.... and as such she doesn't have to say anything.

Furthermore....how many people do you see running around in Australia Cycling/triathlon team kit because they went to an ITU age group world champs. Events in Australia they probably earn't there spot because its cheaper to get too. 2019 it's in Lausanne, Switzerland  - there will be lots of people qualifying on very slow times because its further and more expensive to go for such a short race.......do they deserve it............. but who cares!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

I find it funny how no one I have ever met is in an easy age group to KQ, yet everyone on here keeps pointing out which ones are easy.

I find it funny how everyone mentions it was the hottest & windiest year in Kona every year, yet everyone keeps pointing out every flat, short easy courses around the world.

51 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Those that may ask......know only about the snippets they see on the News each October or because they know of friends who do it.

Yes it's a fringe sport. Who cares....At the end of the day...she qualified within the rules that apply. And that's what counts. Doesn't matter how fast or slow she went.

PS: I had know clue there was a E-Games World Champs....and likewise...who cares.....!

I am fully support of this girl. 

My point above was more to the comment that people asking about doing Kona is bullshit. 

Joe public would only ask something like that because said triathlete would start the conversation with, “id done an Ironman.”

It's funny about age. I think this girl deserves her spot, 18-24 yr olds doing anything healthy outside these days has to be a good thing.  Her time is 25 mins quicker than my last IM:lol:

Re the old age thing, I get a bit fed up with people (mostly younger) telling me I can't do this forever and have to 'slow down' due to age.  Almost like it's a get of jail free card.  Lots of things will slow me down, Flipper starting school and doing her own activities, work, Mrs FP (eventually) working again and my body in general will slow down of course. however, I don't like using getting old as an excuse to not try hard any more.

I really enjoy a relaxed coffee ride with friends and I really like 'going to the well', can't imagine that changing.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In think we need to appoint a forum representative to inform both WTC and the above mentioned young lady of the 13 hour rule and the corresponding offensiveness of a >13 hour Kona qualifying time.

Edited by trilobite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Peter said:

its a fringe sport. 

Does this mean that I have to get a new hair do? Currently lacking fringe 

• Haha 2

Good on her for doing the training, racing and taking the opportunity that came her way.

Having said that, she has some significant work to do before Kona.

A 15:20+ at Cairns would best equate to a marginal sub 17 at Kona, slower still if it's a bad day on the lava fields.

On the positive side, she has improved since her first Ironman and as far as endurance sports go, she is still a young and developing athlete.

I hope she nails it in October.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, AP said:

What were you doing when you were in the 18-24 category 😏

Racing Ironman. Grabbing a KQ that rolled down one place.

Next year I'll be racing in my 8th different age group. :blink:

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Racing Ironman. Grabbing a KQ that rolled down one place.

Next year I'll be racing in my 8th different age group. :blink:

How is the body holding up? 

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

How is the body holding up? 

Not too badly, but I don't run or cycle much these days. And that's obviously reflected in my times.

Haven't done any significant big races since 2012. It was then time to dial it back and just enjoy participating. Don't want to grind my knee to bits.

7 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Not too badly, but I don't run or cycle much these days. And that's obviously reflected in my times.

Haven't done any significant big races since 2012. It was then time to dial it back and just enjoy participating. Don't want to grind my knee to bits.

Cool. It's something I have been thinking about lately. I turned 40 in Jan & have picked up my first injury. The body just  seems to take longer to recover these days. 

How old are you now?

14 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I find it funny how everyone mentions it was the hottest & windiest year in Kona every year, yet everyone keeps pointing out every flat, short easy courses around the world.

It's not true....It was only the hot and windiest year on record the year I did it in 2012 ;) 

• Haha 1

I did Kona in 2011 it wasn’t windy. But Fark me it was hot. The sign going into the energy lab had 118f that’s about 50c temp 

16 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Then you have guys like my mate who scored a roll down from another age group and 2 guys letting their spot go, maybe he's in an easy age group?  

roll downs don't count as real kq