Sunnychick

Kona qualifier 15+

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

you missed my point.  But that's okay.  I know old peoples brains don't work like they used too.

My point was the guys who get to take the spots are the same guys who are prepared to do what others are not prepared to do

1 minute ago, AP said:

My point was the guys who get to take the spots are the same guys who are prepared to do what others in their AG category are not prepared to do

If fixed this to reflect the varying depths of AG categories.

4 minutes ago, AP said:

My point was the guys who get to take the spots are the same guys who are prepared to do what others are not prepared to do

Not sure I understand. You've got guys training 25+ hours a week, going 8.55 and not qualifying and then people qualifying with 15 hours? But anyway as A2K said, if it was time based rather than AG based it would be a middle-aged sausagefest,

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AP said:

So the guy that came 3rd is piss weak because he didnt train and commit as much as the guy that won?

Sure the guy that came in the bottom half I get, but the guys 2-8 trained just as hard as the guy that won and got the spot.

1 hour ago, zed said:

Not sure I understand. You've got guys training 25+ hours a week, going 8.55 and not qualifying and then people qualifying with 15 hours? But anyway as A2K said, if it was time based rather than AG based it would be a middle-aged sausagefest,

Yep.

But as AP didnt coach them, they didnt try or want it

Only 1 spot.  I'm sure they wanted it

2 hours ago, A2K said:

When you think about it the system as it stands is probably the best way to go. Otherwise you'd have half the field at Kona being men in their 30s and 40s

I have no problem with the system. Just don't call it the Ironman WORLD CHAMPS. It's just another race that people can do. The entire system is geared towards $$$ has been marketed extremely well.

Just look at the Prince of Bahrain, he got a spot in the military division. I wonder if he ever completed basic training & how much time he spent polishing boots.

If it was a true worlds champs it would be the fastest males & females over all. It might make for some interesting racing past the top 10 with people busting their ass to got top 50 ,100 etc.

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Or you could just do the Executive Category.  A guy in Boulder did a 13:40 and got a spot to Kona and he was only 46yr old.

The guy Peter mentions above is a mate of mine. As I have mentioned before it's the cheapest & easiest way of getting to Kona. $25kUSD (2 entries)  will get you a spot. 

I was lucky enough to experience the XC category. I did a 11:34 in Arizona & didn't bother going to Kona roll downs.

Race a couple of XC races a year & they will ring & offer you a spot for Kona. How do I know this? My mate & his wife race XC every time.

I raced with Scott in Tahoe, Arizona and Vineman. I beat him every time :) Maybe I should race XC and take get a spot for Kona............

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A bloody lot of training, and some pretty fast times. AND getting my arse kicked by a  lot of others in the same age group. The younger age groups don't seem to be as competitive as they used to be. I suppose a few of those guys are trying their hand in the pro ranks these days.

Nice response.

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Let me guess.  You coach her?  Number 324 to Kona?

So AP are you her coach?

I have no problem with the system. Just don't call it the Ironman WORLD CHAMPS

Triathlon is an age group sport - in every age group it is the true world championship - anyone who thinks he or she is good enough is shooting for a win there - it's the same for the pros - this is the race to win if you want to be seen as the best 💪 

• Like 1

Just now, Bored@work said:

Nice response.

So AP are you her coach?

No never met her - she deserves it - she turned up - didn't she go faster than your last Ironman :whistling:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AP said:

Triathlon is an age group sport - in every age group it is the true world championship - anyone who thinks he or she is good enough* is shooting for a win there - it's the same for the pros - this is the race to win if you want to be seen as the best 💪 

insert

*and can afford $10k + and thinks this is their highest priority *

• Like 4

I find it funny how no one I have ever met is in an easy age group to KQ, yet everyone on here keeps pointing out which ones are easy.

Certain people make it look easy in there age group, I'd say guys like Dan Plews, Jordie Wright, Hayden Armstrong and Jarrod Owen might be just as successful and dominant in their AG's as AP, but they aren't in an easy age group they're just good athletes, as is AP.

Then you have guys like my mate who scored a roll down from another age group and 2 guys letting their spot go, maybe he's in an easy age group?  

This girl is a clear outlier being a 15hr + finisher....you're all fleas

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I have no problem with the system. Just don't call it the Ironman WORLD CHAMPS. It's just another race that people can do. The entire system is geared towards $$$ has been marketed extremely well.

Just look at the Prince of Bahrain, he got a spot in the military division. I wonder if he ever completed basic training & how much time he spent polishing boots.

If it was a true worlds champs it would be the fastest males & females over all. It might make for some interesting racing past the top 10 with people busting their ass to got top 50 ,100 etc.

Yup good way of pointing it. We can't call it the World Champs with people qualifying by finishing last. It's just another race. It's like with the Olympics when Eric the Eel swam, good on him and it was good to see, but it made the Olympics look like a bit of a joke hence the reason IOC introduced a much stricter qualifying system. The priority is ensuring the sport and this race in particular has credibility and integrity. Doing shit that affects those two factors harms the sport. That's not debatable. They either need to drop the World Champs name or have 2 races, one for the pros and top AGers and another one for all the others. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AP said:

No never met her - she deserves it - she turned up - didn't she go faster than your last Ironman :whistling:

Not sure, why don't you look up the results.

18-24 I was at high school and then uni, then in my early years at work. Package as an IT grad was $40k. Triathlon was not a thing for me. I was drinking and skiing.

The 18-24 year olds I am in clubs with are doing ITU, sprint or standard distance, there are some at 70.3, but rare in IM.

1 minute ago, MissJess said:

The 18-24 year olds I am in clubs with are doing ITU, sprint or standard distance, there are some at 70.3, but rare in IM.

Same in my area. 

29 minutes ago, AP said:

#EADC I went 14:15

10 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

I find it funny how no one I have ever met is in an easy age group to KQ, yet everyone on here keeps pointing out which ones are easy.

As far as I can see, the only AG that is easy and has been easy for years is 18-24F. Never more than 2 or 3 participants in races across Australia. Every other AG, even 65-69M is pretty competitive. 

5 minutes ago, zed said:

As far as I can see, the only AG that is easy and has been easy for years is 18-24F. Never more than 2 or 3 participants in races across Australia. Every other AG, even 65-69M is pretty competitive. 

Every time?

I trained with a girl 3 years ago on the gold coast, strong across all three disciplines, put in as much work as anyone I trained with and never missed a session.  She was just going to kona.  Finished 3rd, behind AP's grand daughter and corky.

Just now, RunBrettRun said:

Every time?

I trained with a girl 3 years ago on the gold coast, strong across all three disciplines, put in as much work as anyone I trained with and never missed a session.  She was just going to kona.  Finished 3rd, behind AP's grand daughter and corky.

Yeah I don't know. I thought port, cairns and Busso rotinely had low numbers in that AG, could be wrong though.

3 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Every time?

She didn’t want it enough

2 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah I don't know. I thought port, cairns and Busso rotinely had low numbers in that AG, could be wrong though.

They do. 

Just now, Bored@work said:

She didn’t want it enough

Watch out 5 more years and your daughter might qualify for Kona before you do.☺️

Mine beats me in everything but endurance running

2 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

Watch out 5 more years and your daughter might qualify for Kona before you do.☺️

She is already trash talking me about it. She managed a 7km run on Saturday & is improving at a scary rate. 

I might become an angry soccer mum & push her to qualify for kona(live my dreams through her) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

My 9 year old can now beat me over 25m with a kickboard. She has got a mean kick though. I reckon I've got 3 years till she's smashing me in all strokes.

• Like 1