Sunnychick

Kona qualifier 15+

I see Cairns produced a Kona Qualifier with a time of 15.20 plus. Are there no qualifying times? Is is just done on position! 

2 minutes ago, Sunnychick said:

I see Cairns produced a Kona Qualifier with a time of 15.20 plus. Are there no qualifying times? Is is just done on position! 

Yes every age group gets a minimum of 1 slot. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sunnychick said:

F18-24

AP assured me in the IM coach thread that there are no “special” AGs...

3 minutes ago, trilobite said:

AP assured me in the IM coach thread that there are no “special” AGs...

I said there are no easy age groups - how many girls in the 18-24 are out there training for Ironman - how many are mentally capable of doing an Ironman - you have to turn up to be in with a chance - I was at the roll downs and the girl who actually won the cat didn't take her spot - all those girls who didn't enter were not there to put their hand up - you can't get a Kona spot from your lounge room - you have to be there and go round - just like the older age groups - you have to still be able to make the start line - then be able to do the distance - this girl will have the experience of her life and would be very grateful to the girl who let the spot pass on to the next in line 😁

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, AP said:

how many girls in the 18-24 are out there training for Ironman

As I said, with such a lack of depth, it’s much easier than many other AGs.

Put another way, how do you think her training volume compares with that of qualifiers in other AGs?

Edited by trilobite

You don't get a Kona spot without turning up twice.... to the race and the rolldown.  Miss 15:20 was smart enough to make both.

And I bet if any others who beat her are kicking themselves now, they won't make that mistake again.

Edited by goughy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AP said:

I said there are no easy age groups - how many girls in the 18-24 are out there training for Ironman - how many are mentally capable of doing an Ironman - you have to turn up to be in with a chance - I was at the roll downs and the girl who actually won the cat didn't take her spot - all those girls who didn't enter were not there to put their hand up - you can't get a Kona spot from your lounge room - you have to be there and go round - just like the older age groups - you have to still be able to make the start line - then be able to do the distance - this girl will have the experience of her life and would be very grateful to the girl who let the spot pass on to the next in line 😁

Let me guess.  You coach her?  Number 324 to Kona?

1 minute ago, goughy said:

You don't get a Kona spot without turning up twice.... to the race and the rolldown.  Miss 15:20 was smart enough to make both.

yep

Edited by Peter

Just now, trilobite said:

As I said, with such a lck of depth, it’s much easier than many other AGs.

What were you doing when you were in the 18-24 category 😏

• Like 1

Maybe she will now she's realised she's made the big dance.

1 minute ago, AP said:

It involved lots of beer...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AP said:

A bloody lot of training, and some pretty fast times. AND getting my arse kicked by a  lot of others in the same age group. The younger age groups don't seem to be as competitive as they used to be. I suppose a few of those guys are trying their hand in the pro ranks these days.

4 minutes ago, AP said:

Earning $300 a week working.  No enough to pay to go to Cairns for a race and then flights to Kona.

She has kind parents.

I hope she finishes

And it's not as if she's a kid. She was 24.

But good on her. There were only 2 in the AG, and first didn't want the slot. 

3 minutes ago, trilobite said:

It involved lots of beer...

On reflection, with that sort of carb loading, it would have been disappointing if I couldn’t have knocked at a 15:20 finish.

16 minutes ago, goughy said:

And I bet if any others who beat her are kicking themselves now, they won't make that mistake again.

But was she getting up at 3am to do hill reps in the rain?

Good on her for KQ. But they need a better system. Coming last in your AG and KQ isn't a real good thing for the sport. 

Looking into this now this was her second ironman and she went an hour faster than a year earlier.  

She is going to live out the dream of many and maybe even her's.  So good on her.

You can only race who turns up.

It's no different from the womens 65-69.  Only one turned up.  She's off to Kona. 

Mind you the men's had 17 guys for 1 spot in the 65-69.

or the Men's 80-84 only had one entry.  He DNF but still, hang on people.  When your nearly dead you have a chance at Kona.

Or you could just do the Executive Category.  A guy in Boulder did a 13:40 and got a spot to Kona and he was only 46yr old.

• Like 1

Mind you the men's had 17 guys for 1 spot in the 65-69.

Yeah these guys should be walking their poodles and growing roses WTF - the guy who took the spot is a proud Cycos member and has trained on Mt Cootha in the rain in this preparation - how about that 😏:whistling: 

• Haha 2

When you think about it the system as it stands is probably the best way to go. Otherwise you'd have half the field at Kona being men in their 30s and 40s

4 minutes ago, AP said:

Yeah these guys should be walking their poodles and growing roses WTF - the guy who took the spot is a proud Cycos member and has trained on Mt Cootha in the rain in this preparation - how about that 😏:whistling: 

you missed my point.  But that's okay.  I know old peoples brains don't work like they used too.

19 minutes ago, A2K said:

When you think about it the system as it stands is probably the best way to go. Otherwise you'd have half the field at Kona being men in their 30s and 40s

yeah that's true. #sausagefest!