AA7

2020 70.3 World Championship

11 minutes ago, iFoz said:

Taupo water is the best of all the places I’ve swum in around the world, and that includes Kona. 

of course it is, its New Zealand..everything's better in NZ

12 minutes ago, iFoz said:

Taupo water is the best of all the places I’ve swum in around the world, and that includes Kona. 

He didn't say it wasn't good. Just that it's freezing.

I agree with both of you.

2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

On slowtwitch they were adament it would be early december at either location.

I suppose it would have to be, otherwise Taupo wouldn't be a consideration in September because of the cold. Is IMWA/70.3 in December going to pose an issue? Numbers would drop for those races if the champs were held in december.

24 minutes ago, zed said:

I suppose it would have to be, otherwise Taupo wouldn't be a consideration in September because of the cold. Is IMWA/70.3 in December going to pose an issue? Numbers would drop for those races if the champs were held in december.

it would be madness to have it in WA in December I agree, Taupo also has the 70.3 in December too, September sounds more realistic unless they want those other events to suffer with lower numbers also.  Bit of tinfoil inside the wettie in Taupo to keep warmish.

Taupo will win..........hopefully

Taupo would be more interesting as I'm guessing the swim will be in the Swan River as oppossed to the crystal clear Indian Ocean..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Cheaper for East Coast Aussies to get to Taupo than Perth as well.

Depends.  I got flights for 189 ew for december to wa.  I assume more acomm in Perth then taupo.  Plus taupo will need car hire due to being 4 hours from auckland.  So prob cheaper to go to perth overall.

22 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Depends.  I got flights for 189 ew for december to wa.  I assume more acomm in Perth then taupo.  Plus taupo will need car hire due to being 4 hours from auckland.  So prob cheaper to go to perth overall.

Hahaha i cant even get flights that cheap to Perth and I live in the bloody state

• Haha 1

Any updates on this? I'm guessing NZ gets it for an early Dec race. I would love to see this in say March though, it would make a great early event for the Ironman global season and leave Kona as their concluding race.

Edited by Gilliga

On 21/06/2018 at 2:30 PM, KieranR said:

Hahaha i cant even get flights that cheap to Perth and I live in the bloody state

Ride down 😎🤘

On 21/06/2018 at 3:54 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Cheaper for East Coast Aussies to get to Taupo than Perth as well.

I booked flights last week for IM NZ next March....$125 over and $64 back!

It is with nostar but even after luggage it cost $530 for wife & I return!

37 minutes ago, Nath. said:

I booked flights last week for IM NZ next March....$125 over and $64 back!

It is with nostar but even after luggage it cost $530 for wife & I return!

Which airline was that ?

1 hour ago, Youngy2 said:

Which airline was that ?

Jetstar. They are dead to me.

11 hours ago, zed said:

Jetstar. They are dead to me.

Why?

I've flown them heaps and never had any issues at all, including travelling with bike.  I just wish Karratha had a jetstar option, means I wouldn't have to drive to Perth all the time.

3 hours ago, KieranR said:

Why?

I've flown them heaps and never had any issues at all, including travelling with bike.  I just wish Karratha had a jetstar option, means I wouldn't have to drive to Perth all the time.

ha ha nah they were OK. I'm being a snob. 

I use Emirates to NZ from Melbourne. $580.00 return with 30kg of luggage. So a checked big red bike box, a checked bag and 1 carry on bag. No breakages and no complaints about service. Sure you may get cheaper deals, but at what cost!

So when does qualifying general start for this? Is it races starting around September 2019? ie After the race in 2019 race in France?

16 minutes ago, ashley_s said:

So when does qualifying general start for this? Is it races starting around September 2019? ie After the race in 2019 race in France?

I think Jonkoping, Sweden in July is the first event offering 2020 slots. 

Anyone know the Australia qualifying system for the 2020 70.3? Last time they had additional spots at Aussie events and also the points series to get people in doing 5 races, I also thought female slots are higher now with the race being across 2 days?

Thanks

27 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

Anyone know the Australia qualifying system for the 2020 70.3? Last time they had additional spots at Aussie events and also the points series to get people in doing 5 races, I also thought female slots are higher now with the race being across 2 days?

Thanks

If you look at all the races after the cut off for Nice none of them have the number of spots, just that Qualifying spots for the 2020 championship in Taupo will be available.  Ive wondered the same thing.

• Like 1

The water temperature in Lake Taupo at the end of spring will be faaaaarking cold, as it only gets up to about 19 by the end of summer. I reckon 14-15 degrees. Enjoy.

Just now, Andrew #1 said:

The water temperature in Lake Taupo at the end of spring will be faaaaarking cold, as it only gets up to about 19 by the end of summer. I reckon 14-15 degrees. Enjoy.

That said, I think I might just aim to do it. OK - qualifiers ... 

44 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

That said, I think I might just aim to do it. OK - qualifiers ... 

You’ll need to finish top 3-5 in your age group to even have a chance. 

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

What about Nice 70.3?

46 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

What about Nice 70.3?

No idea. Talking Taupo world champs. 

Unless you are a woman. They have double the men’s slots. 

15 hours ago, Peter said:

The racing should be hot next summer, looking forward to it.. Plan B, fly to Asia and get a slot there.

I also think it could be a cheeky year to grab a kona slot while some of the Ironman freaks are turning attention to 70.3.

7 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

The racing should be hot next summer, looking forward to it.. Plan B, fly to Asia and get a slot there.

I also think it could be a cheeky year to grab a kona slot while some of the Ironman freaks are turning attention to 70.3.

Only realistic for those in the top 10 now.  If you are finishing 50th in your ag like me, then flying to the moon wouldn't help.

I find it interesting that you think going to asia to get a spot for NZ is a plan.  Where last year they couldn't give away spots to South Africa 70.3 WC at races in NZ and Australia.

ie just do a World Champs in Europe or America.  You can do the 70.3 in Taupo any year.

21 minutes ago, Peter said:

Only realistic for those in the top 10 now.  If you are finishing 50th in your ag like me, then flying to the moon wouldn't help.

I find it interesting that you think going to asia to get a spot for NZ is a plan.  Where last year they couldn't give away spots to South Africa 70.3 WC at races in NZ and Australia.

ie just do a World Champs in Europe or America.  You can do the 70.3 in Taupo any year.

A world champs in Europe or USA is not in my budget with a young family (to be honest the budget wont get me to asia to qualify), but I am keen for a worlds in NZ, I am usually pointy end so ill have a crack at Western Sydney and that should get me one, if not prob head to Geelong or Port Mac.

If you want to race a 70.3 worlds or an ITU worlds and are coming home 50th, then yep, Europe or USA should be a walk up start. Way back in 2010 I went to clear water 70.3 worlds, I qualified at Geelong, at the slot giveaway they counted heads and said, there are 24 people here and we have 30 slots... you are all going!!! Back then Pros could grab unclaimed slots too so Berkel picked one up there that year too. I've heard heaps of other people have similar stories. T

hat Clear water race was insane, I rode in a peleton of over 100 people, on hot mix for a sub 2.10 bike, everyone rode sub 2.10. The city hated us being there and it was a shit place, but it was a good experience as it was my first worlds. Out on the bike a car got sick of waiting to cross the bike course and cleaned up a guy about 100m in front of me, he was biking about 50km an hour at the time, it rattled me and I struggled after that during the race, never found out what happened to the hit athlete. I think Raelert won it that year in like 3.40!!! and Swallow in like 4.05!! 

Anyways, im glad they moved it from there.

Edited by Gilliga

the sneaky race for a kona spot this year is Ironman Vichy.  1 week before 70.3 world champs in Nice.  Its also the first qualifying race for 2020.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

the sneaky race for a kona spot this year is Ironman Vichy.  1 week before 70.3 world champs in Nice.  Its also the first qualifying race for 2020.

Interesting I will be in Europe then.

Zell-am-see Kaprun might be a sneaky spot for Taupo qualification as well. It is one week before Nice. Just need a trip to Austria in your budget.

As for using Asia to qualify, everyone else will probably try that as well, especially the swim/bike strong athletes. Quite a few folks I know were going over to get their 70.3 chip for Sunny Coast worlds.