AA7

2020 70.3 World Championship

Final two possible locations announced, Perth and Taupo.

15 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Final two possible locations announced, Perth and Taupo.

No way!

I hope you mean Perth, WA, not Perth, Scotland! Have you got a link.

Official statement

PERTH (WESTERN AUSTRALIA) AND TAUPŌ (NEW ZEALAND) NAMED AS FINALISTS TO HOST THE 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TRIATHLON

Over 5,000 athletes from around the world expected to compete at 2020 race

TAMPA, Fla. (June 12, 2018) – IRONMAN, a Wanda Sports Holdings company, announced today that Perth, Western Australia and Taupō, New Zealand have been named finalists to host the IRONMAN®70.3® World Championship triathlon which will rotate to the Oceania region in 2020. The 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship will be a two-day event, similar to the upcoming 2018 edition – with the professional women and age-group women racing on one day and the professional men and age-group men racing on the other.

"Many fine cities were considered for the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship, however, Perth and Taupō separated themselves and we are excited about these two finalists," Andrew Messick, Chief Executive Officer of IRONMAN. "The IRONMAN 70.3 triathlon series has grown exponentially over the last several years, with the world championship featuring the best athletes from around the world. We feel that either one of these cities will create a world-class event by providing beautiful and challenging courses and outstanding hospitality for our athletes and their families and friends."

IRONMAN officials are visiting these two cities over the next week as the selection process continues to determine the host city for the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship.

• Perth, Western Australia – Perth, the capital of Western Australia, has undergone a remarkable transformation in recent years, making it an even more attractive destination. The city offers easy access to nature, with attractions such as the beautiful Kings Park and Botanic Gardens, the Swan River, stunning coastline, picturesque Swan Valley and Rockingham dolphins all within easy reach of the city. With all the amenities a modern, world-class city has to offer, Perth has new public space developments such as Elizabeth Quay and Yagan Square which are vibrant hubs offering a mix of food, drinks, events, entertainment and culture. With its sunny climate, city parks and inner-city river, Perth is ideally suited to hosting major sporting events and is one of only a few cities to have twice hosted the ITU Triathlon World Championships.
  • Taupo, New Zealand – The Great Lake Taupō District is rich in history and is one of the world's most unique and picturesque areas. Located in the center of the North Island of New Zealand, it has a fascinating volcanic landscape and a cultural heritage dating back to the arrival of Māori in New Zealand in the 14ᵗʰ century. The Great Lake Taupō District is one of the most pure, beautiful and unspoiled areas in the country and encompasses the lakeside towns of Taupō, Turangi, Kinloch and Mangakino. As a popular year-round destination, it houses the largest freshwater crater lake in Australasia, geothermal attractions, and the mountains and ski areas of Tongariro National Park, a dual World Heritage National Park. Host of IRONMAN New Zealand since 1999, Taupō has become one of IRONMAN's most iconic events.

The IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship began an annual global rotation in 2014 in Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, Canada. The 2015 race was held in Europe for the first time, in Zell am See-Kaprun, SalzburgerLand, Austria. In 2016 the IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship shifted to the Southern Hemisphere for the first time – in Queensland, Australia. In 2017, the world championship returned to the United States with the host city of Chattanooga, Tennessee, where it first became a two-day event. On September 1 and 2, 2018, the IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship will be in Port Elizabeth, Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa. Next year, the 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship will move to Europe and Nice, France. Prior to 2014, the IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship was held in Henderson, Nevada and Clearwater, Florida.

Qualification for the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship will begin in July of 2019. IRONMAN expects approximately 190,000 registered athletes from around the world to compete at any of the more than 120 events in the global IRONMAN 70.3 Series in locations such as Australia, Brazil, Africa, Malaysia and China to earn a coveted slot. In addition, each age-group winner at the 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship in Nice will automatically qualify for the 2020 world championship.

I'm guessing swim would be in the Swan River? 

14 minutes ago, zed said:

I'm guessing swim would be in the Swan River? 

Do you get bull sharks over there?

Taupo in September could be really cold. Cold enough to turn into a Duathlon.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, A2K said:

Taupo in September could be really cold. Cold enough to turn into a Duathlon.

Given NZ has never had an Ironman World Champs there I sorta hope they get it but you are right.  Would be bloody cold in that water in Sept.

and Taupo 70.3 had no swim last year due to algae (but thats probably more a summer issue...)

I think the rules are not just around water temperature but air temperature also, i.e. if the water temp is below x and the air temp is below y then no swim for you!!

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Do you get bull sharks over there?

Supposedly. But if there are, they'd only be small. No sightings, no-one has ever been bitten. 

32 minutes ago, Peter said:

Given NZ has never had an Ironman World Champs there I sorta hope they get it but you are right.  Would be bloody cold in that water in Sept.

Good point. Perth is perfect that time of year! 

• Like 1

So, how does one qualify for the 70.3 champs? Never done long course but 2020 pencilled in to give it a shot...

2 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Ah! An all out win eh? Don't think that'd be very likely so!

I think zed qualified this year and he was not 1st place...?

1 minute ago, BogFrog said:

Depends on your age group but that would seal it.

When the race is in aus (mooloolaba) you needed to be in the auto qualifying spots which was top 3 to 4 for bigger age groups.  If you're in a small age group then win is what it would take.

Now with a race in south Africa you could potentially come 30th and get a spot.  Depending on where you raced and who is there on the day who wants to travel.

I'd suggest looking at your age group and seeing how many spots it generally has and bank on there being no roll down for an Australian race.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

It depends where the race is and when it is. South Africa is popular and pretty much everyone took their spots in december in Busso. I was 5th, 1st had just come back from Kona so didn't take his spot and neither did 3rd. Lots missed out. But Busso in May, there were 30 spots and only 23 people turned up so anyone who wanted a spot got one. (Some guy finished 53rd and got a spot). Probably because it's so close to the race. If it is in Australia though, you would have to finish top 3, I reckon everyone would take their spots like they did for Sunny Coast. If you really wanted to qualify go race China or somewhere random and close to September as possible. 

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, zed said:

Good point. Perth is perfect any time of year! 

Fixed 😎👌🤘🍺🍺🍺

12 hours ago, roxii said:

ski areas of Tongariro National Park

Nothing like a bit of snow melt to ensure a wetsuit swim.

Are they really talking September? That's still ski season in Australia.

Oh crap. Just noticed. It’s perth not busso. I hope perth gets it. 

9 hours ago, Peter said:

Oh crap. Just noticed. It’s perth not busso. I hope perth gets it. 

Agree, I would rather race in Perth than Busso. Perth has a CPK now so I'm more than happy to visit.

20 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

...When the race is in aus (mooloolaba) you needed to be in the auto qualifying spots which was top 3 to 4 for bigger age groups.  If you're in a small age group then win is what it would take.

...I'd suggest looking at your age group and seeing how many spots it generally has and bank on there being no roll down for an Australian race.

What's considered a big age group?  The women's groups tend to be a lot smaller than the men's groups, so do I take it that there are fewer women at these championships?  And how do you find out how many spots are given per race?  I've never done a 70.3, but guesstimating my time and having a quick look at some of the past season's results, I could make top 5, but no way would I get a win or podium...

20 hours ago, zed said:

It depends where the race is and when it is. South Africa is popular and pretty much everyone took their spots in december in Busso. I was 5th, 1st had just come back from Kona so didn't take his spot and neither did 3rd. Lots missed out. But Busso in May, there were 30 spots and only 23 people turned up so anyone who wanted a spot got one. (Some guy finished 53rd and got a spot). Probably because it's so close to the race. If it is in Australia though, you would have to finish top 3, I reckon everyone would take their spots like they did for Sunny Coast. If you really wanted to qualify go race China or somewhere random and close to September as possible. 

Don't think I want it that bad!  So, it it harder to qualify for 70.3 than for Kona?

1 minute ago, BogFrog said:

Don't think I want it that bad!  So, it it harder to qualify for 70.3 than for Kona?

When it's in Australia it's about the same.  Which race were you looking at doing?

6 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

When it's in Australia it's about the same.  Which race were you looking at doing?

Jeez!  I'm not that organised!  I'd probably try and choose one that isn't too hot! (and where the swim won't be cancelled!)  Still not sure what my focus is going to be after worlds this year - really enjoying running at the moment, so might try and get a fast marathon before age starts to slow me down.  I'll have to do some real bike work when I go long though - currently I only do the bare minimum and it shows.  Now I'm rambling.  sorry...

Edited by BogFrog

31 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

What's considered a big age group?  The women's groups tend to be a lot smaller than the men's groups, so do I take it that there are fewer women at these championships?  And how do you find out how many spots are given per race?  I've never done a 70.3, but guesstimating my time and having a quick look at some of the past season's results, I could make top 5, but no way would I get a win or podium...

Our age group is generally one of the biggest for the women, but we still might only get two spots at best. That was what it was for Sunny Coast in 2015. Only know the spots on offer when the entry numbers are final. 

• Like 1

Would your chances of getting a spot increase if you raced a US based race? (less people wanting a spot) because you know there is never an easy way to qualify for the world champs......

So what's the diff between 70.3 World Champs (ironman) or ITU long course world champs?

Nothing really eh? ITU perhaps MORE meaningful as thequalifiers are not brand centric? 

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

Harder to qualify for Kona. Although when it was sunny coast there were zero rolldowns in perth. Seems to roll down more for women. I would say if it was in Australia your best bet would be to do a 70.3 that's run in-conjunction with an Ironman, tend to be fewer numbers e.g Cairns/Port/Busso in December.

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Agree, I would rather race in Perth than Busso. Perth has a CPK now so I'm more than happy to visit.

They would never have it in Busso after the debacle of the last 12months. There is so much pressure on the december race now, f**k knows what's going to happen. Almost inevitable they'll find a shark. Compare that to Cairns, zero helicopters, zero drones,  zero f**ks given about crocodiles. We need the Cairns RD over in Perth..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Turts said:

So what's the diff between 70.3 World Champs (ironman) or ITU long course world champs?

Nothing really eh? ITU perhaps MORE meaningful as thequalifiers are not brand centric? 

ITU WC's might actually be a world championship and not a series championship.  ITU is longer isn't it, something like 4k/120k/30k isn't it.  ITU you can probably go just by ringing them and asking to go, even if you didn't do a qualifier.  If you do have to at least do a qualifier for sure, then if I did one I could probably get a spot on the team (and I can only walk, can't swim and sure as hell can't ride) as I don't think the ITU ones fill up.  Everyone is focused on the ITU shorter stuff or Kona.

Over 5000 athletes expected?
So its going to be a draft fest.
Why can't they make it a world championships and have a limited field of and stick a 20m draft rule.

If they are going to have 5000 they are going to need to do it over at least 2 days and a 1 lap course

It is 2 days now. 

Men one day. Guys the next or other way round. 

I think the 2 days is relating to a standard field anyone can enter on Saturday and then a world champ qualification race Sunday.  Isnt that what they are doing at most races but couldn't get approval for at sunshine coast?

54 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

I think the 2 days is relating to a standard field anyone can enter on Saturday and then a world champ qualification race Sunday.  Isnt that what they are doing at most races but couldn't get approval for at sunshine coast?

Nah, i read pro and AG women one day and pro and AG men the next.

7 hours ago, Peter said:

It is 2 days now. 

The females dont get a race?

Edited by AA7
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Peter said:

It is 2 days now. 

Men both days?? 🤔😨

9 hours ago, Peter said:

It is 2 days now. 

Sexist discriminist pig 

6 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Same as South Africa this year, chicks on saturday, geezers on Sunday.

1 minute ago, zed said:

Same as South Africa this year, chicks on saturday, geezers on Sunday.

Fair enough I haven't looked at 70.3 champs since sunny coast and I believe they were trying for the normal sunny coast race Saturday and wc Sunday.  They had done it previously at other locations.

9 minutes ago, Kim jong-un said:

Sam doesn't know that the Western Australia race is in PERTH not BUSSELTON. 

haha yeah i did notice she said Busselton aswell

38 minutes ago, zed said:

Have they determined what time of the year it will be? Because if end August, surely that rules out Taupo?

doesn't matter, the lakes freezing all the time haha

51 minutes ago, KieranR said:

doesn't matter, the lakes freezing all the time haha

Taupo water is the best of all the places I’ve swum in around the world, and that includes Kona.