Jump to content
FatPom

HIM, B race. Taper?

Recommended Posts

I have a HIM on June 24th, it's a B race for me but my only HIM this year.  Doing a fairly big week this week which ends Sunday. Would you taper for the HIM, maybe a couple of days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck yeah ! Especially at our age 😄 even if it’s a b race it is much more fun going around with fresh legs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are your A's, and how long till the next?

Unless you're using this as a training session, you should ease up a bit. Trying to race when already partly fatigued won't be pleasant, and can lead to injuries. If I didn't have an A race for another couple months, I'd be tapering close to what I would for an A race. Maybe just a day or 2 less taper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can really only taper for two races a year in a structured training program - for less important races like this one a two day freshen up would be the best approach 

A proper taper should be 12-14 days - even longer for an older athlete - I would give older guys three weeks easing off the load / volume 

Each body is different - I believe it's important to do some training, even if it's real short and light every day right up to race day to keep the mind/body connection strong and all the muscles loose and ready to go 😎

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all, taken on board :)

Ex, It will 3wks between this HIM and Tenby LCW, which is at the moment, my A race. From LCW to IM Wales it’s another 8-9wks. My plan is to do LCW as well as I can and then see about IM Wales.  I would really like to do it but completion on our house may mean it isn’t possible ( not sure yet).

So most of my eggs are in the LCW basket as an A race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

It will 3wks between this HIM and Tenby LCW, which is at the moment, my A race.

FP, if that's the case, I would take AP's advice & just a couple days easy before it. You don't want to be having a week long taper 3 weeks before your A-race.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

FP, if that's the case, I would take AP's advice & just a couple days easy before it. You don't want to be having a week long taper 3 weeks before your A-race.

Cheers Ex, yeah it's not ideal timing wise.  This HIM is the deferred race from last year when I had an injured hip, it was never really part of the plan but a case of 'use it or lose it'.  My plan for LCW is to do a 30 min faster bike and sub 5 marathon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use this as your last big training hit-out before your race. Timing is probably good in that respect.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Use this as your last big training hit-out before your race. Timing is probably good in that respect.

That was my thinking but just wanted to check. Writing my own program hasn't exactly seen me Hawaii bound yet :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, need a new plan. Everything was on track until yesterday. Went for an easy 40min lunchtime run, same run I've every Friday, absolutely nothing different about anything*

25mins in, left calf (which I've had no issue with this year) starts aching, 3/4 mins later I've slowed to a walk.  I didn't get that 'I've just been shot' sensation, just progressively worse.

Plan this weekend was for a longish ride today and a long run Sunday.  Plan now is to rest, maybe go to the pool and do 'something'? I think it's easing but haven't walked enough this morning to be sure.

I don't know why this shit always happens to me before a bloody race:wallbash:

 

*The only thing different is I've been breaking some new shoes, without issue but this run was in my old shoes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FatPom said:

OK, need a new plan. Everything was on track until yesterday. Went for an easy 40min lunchtime run, same run I've every Friday, absolutely nothing different about anything*

25mins in, left calf (which I've had no issue with this year) starts aching, 3/4 mins later I've slowed to a walk.  I didn't get that 'I've just been shot' sensation, just progressively worse.

Plan this weekend was for a longish ride today and a long run Sunday.  Plan now is to rest, maybe go to the pool and do 'something'? I think it's easing but haven't walked enough this morning to be sure.

I don't know why this shit always happens to me before a bloody race:wallbash:

 

*The only thing different is I've been breaking some new shoes, without issue but this run was in my old shoes

Do a Longish ride on the trainer, can stop or drop the watts at any stage. Swim.

 

see how you are in the morning. If ok, 20 minute run and see how you pull up on Monday. If ok, maybe a 75 minute run on Monday evening. ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Do a Longish ride on the trainer, can stop or drop the watts at any stage. Swim.

 

see how you are in the morning. If ok, 20 minute run and see how you pull up on Monday. If ok, maybe a 75 minute run on Monday evening. ...

Cheers mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chill. The hay is in the barn, you just need to make sure you don't damage the roof.

10% under is better than 1% over.

Stretch, swim, have a long walk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monkie is right of course. I lost my last two weeks of training and taper before IM Cairns 70.3 to illness and a series of niggling injuries and I rolled around ok on the day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have experienced something very similar on a couple of occasions and had athletes experience the same - I put it down to accumulated fatigue and often not warming up enough - rest it it won't hurt if you don't run at all till the day - monkey is right the hay is in the shed 

I have done an Ironman after not running for two weeks because of the same issue - as long as you don't lose it mentally - stay confident 🙄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks AP, makes sense. I think the biggest challenge is not to panic!  I hate the calf thing because it always feels like a ticking time bomb when you do run again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian, I watched last years Tenby LCW last night. Great day and atmosphere. You enjoy both A and B. Keep smiling. 

FM

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Ian, I watched last years Tenby LCW last night. Great day and atmosphere. You enjoy both A and B. Keep smiling. 

FM

Cheers Flanman.  It’s funny thinking about LCW. It’s my A race and the thing I’m most looking forward to is seeing Flipper in her ‘Taff Kids’ race on the Friday afternoon.

Maybe I’m not the world’s worst Dad after all.😀

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All registered. There are 150 odd doing the HIM. Recc’d the course in the car today, definitely not flat, more undulating with a 3 x long drag. The looped course will be ‘fun’ when the oly and sprint folks join it!

Had a pretty restfull week, a few short swims and a couple of turbo sessions, zero running. Fingers crossed for my calf :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

short version: 5hrs23, calf went bang with 4km to go. hobbled home,  shattered.:surrender:  more later

yyOEpVyGHNfpGilOxmF3MSQf9TfP9em6e1-l1cqV

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×