Jump to content
FatPom

HIM, B race. Taper?

Recommended Posts

I have a HIM on June 24th, it's a B race for me but my only HIM this year.  Doing a fairly big week this week which ends Sunday. Would you taper for the HIM, maybe a couple of days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck yeah ! Especially at our age 😄 even if it’s a b race it is much more fun going around with fresh legs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are your A's, and how long till the next?

Unless you're using this as a training session, you should ease up a bit. Trying to race when already partly fatigued won't be pleasant, and can lead to injuries. If I didn't have an A race for another couple months, I'd be tapering close to what I would for an A race. Maybe just a day or 2 less taper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can really only taper for two races a year in a structured training program - for less important races like this one a two day freshen up would be the best approach 

A proper taper should be 12-14 days - even longer for an older athlete - I would give older guys three weeks easing off the load / volume 

Each body is different - I believe it's important to do some training, even if it's real short and light every day right up to race day to keep the mind/body connection strong and all the muscles loose and ready to go 😎

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all, taken on board :)

Ex, It will 3wks between this HIM and Tenby LCW, which is at the moment, my A race. From LCW to IM Wales it’s another 8-9wks. My plan is to do LCW as well as I can and then see about IM Wales.  I would really like to do it but completion on our house may mean it isn’t possible ( not sure yet).

So most of my eggs are in the LCW basket as an A race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

It will 3wks between this HIM and Tenby LCW, which is at the moment, my A race.

FP, if that's the case, I would take AP's advice & just a couple days easy before it. You don't want to be having a week long taper 3 weeks before your A-race.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

FP, if that's the case, I would take AP's advice & just a couple days easy before it. You don't want to be having a week long taper 3 weeks before your A-race.

Cheers Ex, yeah it's not ideal timing wise.  This HIM is the deferred race from last year when I had an injured hip, it was never really part of the plan but a case of 'use it or lose it'.  My plan for LCW is to do a 30 min faster bike and sub 5 marathon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use this as your last big training hit-out before your race. Timing is probably good in that respect.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Use this as your last big training hit-out before your race. Timing is probably good in that respect.

That was my thinking but just wanted to check. Writing my own program hasn't exactly seen me Hawaii bound yet :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, need a new plan. Everything was on track until yesterday. Went for an easy 40min lunchtime run, same run I've every Friday, absolutely nothing different about anything*

25mins in, left calf (which I've had no issue with this year) starts aching, 3/4 mins later I've slowed to a walk.  I didn't get that 'I've just been shot' sensation, just progressively worse.

Plan this weekend was for a longish ride today and a long run Sunday.  Plan now is to rest, maybe go to the pool and do 'something'? I think it's easing but haven't walked enough this morning to be sure.

I don't know why this shit always happens to me before a bloody race:wallbash:

 

*The only thing different is I've been breaking some new shoes, without issue but this run was in my old shoes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FatPom said:

OK, need a new plan. Everything was on track until yesterday. Went for an easy 40min lunchtime run, same run I've every Friday, absolutely nothing different about anything*

25mins in, left calf (which I've had no issue with this year) starts aching, 3/4 mins later I've slowed to a walk.  I didn't get that 'I've just been shot' sensation, just progressively worse.

Plan this weekend was for a longish ride today and a long run Sunday.  Plan now is to rest, maybe go to the pool and do 'something'? I think it's easing but haven't walked enough this morning to be sure.

I don't know why this shit always happens to me before a bloody race:wallbash:

 

*The only thing different is I've been breaking some new shoes, without issue but this run was in my old shoes

Do a Longish ride on the trainer, can stop or drop the watts at any stage. Swim.

 

see how you are in the morning. If ok, 20 minute run and see how you pull up on Monday. If ok, maybe a 75 minute run on Monday evening. ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Do a Longish ride on the trainer, can stop or drop the watts at any stage. Swim.

 

see how you are in the morning. If ok, 20 minute run and see how you pull up on Monday. If ok, maybe a 75 minute run on Monday evening. ...

Cheers mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chill. The hay is in the barn, you just need to make sure you don't damage the roof.

10% under is better than 1% over.

Stretch, swim, have a long walk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monkie is right of course. I lost my last two weeks of training and taper before IM Cairns 70.3 to illness and a series of niggling injuries and I rolled around ok on the day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have experienced something very similar on a couple of occasions and had athletes experience the same - I put it down to accumulated fatigue and often not warming up enough - rest it it won't hurt if you don't run at all till the day - monkey is right the hay is in the shed 

I have done an Ironman after not running for two weeks because of the same issue - as long as you don't lose it mentally - stay confident 🙄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks AP, makes sense. I think the biggest challenge is not to panic!  I hate the calf thing because it always feels like a ticking time bomb when you do run again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian, I watched last years Tenby LCW last night. Great day and atmosphere. You enjoy both A and B. Keep smiling. 

FM

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Ian, I watched last years Tenby LCW last night. Great day and atmosphere. You enjoy both A and B. Keep smiling. 

FM

Cheers Flanman.  It’s funny thinking about LCW. It’s my A race and the thing I’m most looking forward to is seeing Flipper in her ‘Taff Kids’ race on the Friday afternoon.

Maybe I’m not the world’s worst Dad after all.😀

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All registered. There are 150 odd doing the HIM. Recc’d the course in the car today, definitely not flat, more undulating with a 3 x long drag. The looped course will be ‘fun’ when the oly and sprint folks join it!

Had a pretty restfull week, a few short swims and a couple of turbo sessions, zero running. Fingers crossed for my calf :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

short version: 5hrs23, calf went bang with 4km to go. hobbled home,  shattered.:surrender:  more later

yyOEpVyGHNfpGilOxmF3MSQf9TfP9em6e1-l1cqV

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Surfer said:

That pic FP!!! You look hammered! Hope youre ok 🤔

Thanks Surfer. It wasn't pretty.  Swim was fine, except it was two loops in the Thames and heading back both times the sun was right in your eyes. Water was cleaner than I was expecting and I came out in 39 mins, as expected.

Bike went OK, those drags really took their toll on the 3rd time around! I rode within myself and had AP's words about riding like a guy that intends to run well, in my head. Trouble was I had no idea if I'd be able to run at all!  Anyway, got it done and passed quite a few of the faster simmers. There were three other distances going on so never easy to know who is in what race.  It started to get (for Pommieland) hot and the mercury was nudging 25C on the bike.  My bike time is 2.44, which I was a little disappointed with but given there is a massive field you have to run to and from transition, before you can mount the bike, I was a bit happier I guess.  Roads were awful.

I had a plan for the run, IF my calf had been ok and that was to run at 5.20/km for the first 5km and take 5secs per km at every 5km lap.  However I knew the calf wasn't going to play ball in the first couple of minutes.  Temp was now 27C. The calf was aching but not really painful and I could manage it if I kept the pace to 5.25-30 per km.  Then 16 kms in on the last lap, it just got really painful. Then it was a case of hobbling/walking to the finish.  The run is short, it's 20km and I went 1:50.

So my day didn't go to plan but still a solid time for me. Finishing was painful and a bit emotional but my sister was a great supporter all day and I'm thankful for that :)

 came 38th overall, I think out of approx 200 but official results aren't out yet, so the printout only has my times and position. I was 14th in AG, again not sure how many.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done, hot is relative when youve had a freezing cold winter to deal with. Hope your calf isnt worse than before the race. At least you had a solid swim & bike thats now in the bag towards your next big day out

Your sister is a champion, probably an honourary trannie 😍

Take care dude

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old thread, apologies. I've been waiting for the results for ages, only to find they were listed under the wrong date.  I don't really understand what I'm looking at, I came 37th overall but is this saying I lost 40 odd places in T1?:blink:

https://www.stuweb.co.uk/race/1Kt/90.html

 

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/07/2018 at 8:43 PM, FatPom said:

Old thread, apologies. I've been waiting for the results for ages, only to find they were listed under the wrong date.  I don't really understand what I'm looking at, I came 37th overall but is this saying I lost 40 odd places in T1?:blink:

https://www.stuweb.co.uk/race/1Kt/90.html

 

 

Looks like your T1 was almost 2 mins slower than the 'average'... what were you doing in there? 😁

 

actually by the look of your bike time, you must have been applying testosterone patches to your undercarriage...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pieman said:

Looks like your T1 was almost 2 mins slower than the 'average'... what were you doing in there? 😁

 

actually by the look of your bike time, you must have been applying testosterone patches to your undercarriage...

Cheers Pieman, that’s what I thought. I don’t know what I do but whatever it is, I do it a lot slower. When I’m in T1 and T2, it seems like I’m moving quickly and just banging out one action after another but clearly I’m not.:(

Edited by FatPom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Cheers Pieman, that’s what I thought. I don’t know what I do but whatever it is, I do it a lot slower. When I’m in T1 and T2, it seems like I’m moving quickly and just banging out one action after another but clearly I’m not.:(

Your t2 is also 'below average' so there could be some free time in those areas. Although it looks like there is only one male close enough ahead of you that transition improvements might help you catch.. 

Was it a duathlon as the first split says Run1 but i cant figure out distances? if not, I was wondering how you could waste 5 mins dropping goggles and putting on a helmet.. 😁

was it a long run from timing mat to bike to timing mat, do you run with bike or put shoes on and then hobble? all things to think about when making up time.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pieman said:

Your t2 is also 'below average' so there could be some free time in those areas. Although it looks like there is only one male close enough ahead of you that transition improvements might help you catch.. 

Was it a duathlon as the first split says Run1 but i cant figure out distances? if not, I was wondering how you could waste 5 mins dropping goggles and putting on a helmet.. 😁

was it a long run from timing mat to bike to timing mat, do you run with bike or put shoes on and then hobble? all things to think about when making up time.. 

It was a triathlon, HIM. It was quite a distance from swim exit to T1, along a concrete path and then across a playing and I've noticed it takes me a while to orientate from the dizziness of standing up. I am a socks a gloves guy and it always takes me a while to put the socks on.  I thought I'd wear gloves as the roads are very rough here and also, it was a hot day and I thought I'd benefit from have non sweaty hands but overall, I think gloves were a mistake.

I run in my bike shoes, and there was a massive run out of T1 across two playing fields before we were allowed to mount, however,  we crossed the mat out of transition, so that long run would have only affected my overall bike time.

T2 I made one mistake, I had run towards the exit about 15 paces and realised I still had my gloves on and went back to take them off. I have runners with elastic laces, so didn't hang about with that.

Perhaps I'm just bloody slow :lol:

Edited by FatPom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Ian, now onto your A race. 

What's happening in the lead-up ? Where are you up to ? What's going on!!!

FM

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Flanman said:

So Ian, now onto your A race. 

What's happening in the lead-up ? Where are you up to ? What's going on!!!

FM

Hey Mick,

I think I should be able able hold onto last year's swim time (90 min) provided there are no adverse conditions. Swim volume has been low this year (even for me) but times are holding.

If it's not wet or sweltering (either is a 50/50 bet this week!) I'm aiming for a 7hr bike. Haven't done many rides over 4hrs but power has been steadily increasing.

Marathon on the Sunday will be a different story. This calf has left me with little confidence but I did complete an easy 20km raining run yesterday with no major issue (1hr56).

Most of all, just looking forward to Flipper's race. Her kit and bib number turned up yesterday, so proud 😎

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×