4 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

No getting done by Germany on pens this time

I read a comment on a highlight reel of the Sotuh Korea V Germany match:

'Biggest loss in Russia since WW2 for the Germans!' Made me chuckle.

disclaimer - I do not intend to offend anyone or own the rights to thinking of this comment.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Parkside said:

Unsurprisingly Australia's complete inability to produce world class strikers has cost us any chance of gamely qualifying. Throwing Cahill on when he can't get a run in a struggling A League team or Millwall is a sign of the times (or FFA's commercial contracts). We created enough attacking chances and bombed enough crosses in, just had no-one to finish.  Kruse, for all the flak he copped early, was serviceable against Peru. 

The manager did well enough I thought given the circumstances, we looked like absolute balls in qualifying and to see us get routed thrice would not have surprised anyone. the turnaround once a pragmatic formation was put in place was pleasing. we competed well against 2 top class opponents and were unlucky not to do better. Unfortunately we need to put the ball in the net, 50/50 calls never go to minnows and you can't ride your luck from the spot to advance.

Who to support now? 

Its funny, even when we had Viduka and Kewell at the height of their game, scoring well in the EPL, when it came to national duties they still struggled to convert, and often seemed to stifle each other when both on the pitch.

I think that last 5% is where we bear the fruits of not being a true "football" nation. You go to other football countries and the kids always have a ball at their feet, they play all day, they kick the ball in the backyard for hours one end in big numbers, then it simply becomes a numbers game as the best of the best try and get a run.  Backs and midfielders can get away with being "solid", "tradesman like" even "dour"  but strikers need the magic, the skill, the flair, the timing, the positional play etc, etc, etc and to get good strikers or GREAT strikers comes from finding the cream of the crop. 

We are picking our best but its just not a big enough and deep enough pool to provide the quality we need. I dont know if it will ever get any better. 

• Like 1

I am not sure why everyone is so head up over not making the next round, i.e. the last 16 teams in the world. WE are currently ranked 36, which for Aus is a high ranking.  We do well to get to the WC.  In a country where it is only one of four football codes it is extraordinary that we get  as far as we do.

The Mathildas have been extremely successful at the world level.  Until the last year or so they have had no opposition from another football code.  Some of them have jumped to AFL.  It will be interesting to see how they go in the future.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lawman said:

I am not sure why everyone is so head up over not making the next round, i.e. the last 16 teams in the world. WE are currently ranked 36, which for Aus is a high ranking.  We do well to get to the WC.  In a country where it is only one of four football codes it is extraordinary that we get  as far as we do.

That's true, though to be honest, a lot of this has to do with what world group you are in,  in the qualifiers. 

I reckon there are a lot of better teams than us that arent even there due to being in stronger qualifying groups. 

39 minutes ago, roxii said:

That's true, though to be honest, a lot of this has to do with what world group you are in,  in the qualifiers. 

I reckon there are a lot of better teams than us that arent even there due to being in stronger qualifying groups. 

Agreed,  but take pleasure that we always win the Rugby League World Cup.  The other two teams are very ordinary. 😂

Optus has handed over rights to the rest of the world cup so SBS can broadcast!  What a shock!!!

Well, the var did get it wrong in the Aussie/France match didn't it, handing a penalty to France when the Aussie did touch the ball.  We've had a bit of bad luck at times in World cups, like the Italy blatant dive a few cups ago.  But you are exactly right, we probably wouldn't be making it to the 16.

To fully match it against these established European, South American, African nations etc, would mean we'd have to match their passion and desire for the game, like Roxii mentions and our domestic competition would have to be as good as a second tier European league. 

1 minute ago, Pencil_Towel said:

To fully match it against these established European, South American, African nations etc, would mean we'd have to match their passion and desire for the game, like Roxii mentions and our domestic competition would have to be as good as a second tier European league. 

I wrote similar comments to this on here over 10 yrs ago. Oz goes ok at WC. The problem with football and Oz is that as a nation, they seem to hit an ‘on switch’ about 9mths out from WC, get behind the team, expect a bloody miracle then moan about not doing well.

What I said was that it takes decades to consistently build a team a culture where your nation is qualifying and getting out of the first round. There is no ‘off switch’ when the WC ends for the good nations. That means investment and maybe not doing well at something else. 

Eng has the culture but our investment in youth is woeful these days but they started from such a higher place in terms of infrastructure and passion for the game, that the public will still get behind. The clock is ticking for Eng though.

This is what I mean. It takes years to build up and years to erode.

6 hours ago, FatPom said:

I wrote similar comments to this on here over 10 yrs ago. Oz goes ok at WC. The problem with football and Oz is that as a nation, they seem to hit an ‘on switch’ about 9mths out from WC, get behind the team, expect a bloody miracle then moan about not doing well.

What I said was that it takes decades to consistently build a team a culture where your nation is qualifying and getting out of the first round. There is no ‘off switch’ when the WC ends for the good nations. That means investment and maybe not doing well at something else. 

Eng has the culture but our investment in youth is woeful these days but they started from such a higher place in terms of infrastructure and passion for the game, that the public will still get behind. The clock is ticking for Eng though.

This is what I mean. It takes years to build up and years to erode.

Clive Allen says your going to win

9 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Clive Allen says your going to win

Clive Allen (whomever he is) is an idiot.

8 hours ago, FatPom said:

Clive Allen (whomever he is) is an idiot.

hes pundit and former spurs player. Had one good season

we really should be embarrassed we didn't progress. Sorry, for the amount we spend on this team, not even winning a game is piss poor. 

11 minutes ago, Prince said:

we really should be embarrassed we didn't progress. Sorry, for the amount we spend on this team, not even winning a game is piss poor. 

I think what is more telling is that we didnt score a goal from open play. 

2 goals in the tournament both from penalties. That is simply not a sustainable strategy. 

• Like 1

we need to purchase a good striker it would seem. The good ones don't seem to miss. 

Yeah the stats were pretty damning. 

I think it was stated we had twice as many chances as Peru yet we had no success they had two goals. 

7 minutes ago, Prince said:

we need to purchase a good striker it would seem. The good ones don't seem to miss. 

We seem to get some good tennis imports and pole vaulters, time to offer the lucky country to some footballers it would seem. 

Hell they don't even have to live or play here, Viduka and Kewell left Aus at about age 13 or so if I remember correctly and never spent any time here after that. 

As disappointing as the inability to score is we could concentrate on the positive that we qualified for the World Cup finals where there are more members in FIFA than the United Nations in a sport that is not one of the mainstream senior sports in Australia.

4 hours ago, Prince said:

This exactly the issue Oz has with its thinking. You need to invest more, not less and invest for years and years. You simply can’t expect anything with the lack of investment and culture you have.

So instead of being piss poor, Aussies should be bloody amazed you do so well IMO.

• Like 2

I was Physio for the AIS team in the late 90s early 00. Kennedy, Grella, Bresciano wilkshire, etc. was a 2 year full time residential scholarship for 15 and 16 year olds who the funnelled into under age national squads and Olympia, playing in NSL youth league (opposition teams were u/18 and could play 2or 3  overage NSL squaddies). They won it most years. A national academy of the best development prospects in a truly elite setup. Now dismantled. Replaced by state academies, a multitude of association/state league club rep teams, SAP squads, academies and private academies/soccer schools reaming parents for $2000+ for kids to play “reps” and fund first team wages.

FFA needs to step in and sort out a development pathway, get the very best kids not the richest, piss of the political crap and develop kids through 16-18 years old. We don’t qualify at this age where we also used to punch above our weight

womens game next to suffer now that AFL and netball is paying talented women properly to go “pro”

France vs Argentina,   'there can only be one winner' has never been more inappropriate. :lol:

That may well be true but that was a great game!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rog said:

That may well be true but that was a great game!

2 great games yesterday and some cracking goals.

Messi and Ronaldo overrated

Di Stefano

Michale Laudrap

Zidane

George Best

Jim Baxter

all better