Jump to content

Recommended Posts

At least Oz have scored. That might be vital in the tail end count back in this group.

Edited by FatPom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ah well. Oz played way better than I thought they would and the surrender monkeys have some questions to answer for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Irrespective of whether the decision was right, VAR process is a disaster waiting to happen. Say Australia went end to end and score a goal before the VAR looks at the France penalty? What happens then, they cancel the Australian goal and go back to what happened 5 minutes ago? Ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Irrespective of whether the decision was right, VAR process is a disaster waiting to happen. Say Australia went end to end and score a goal before the VAR looks at the France penalty? What happens then, they cancel the Australian goal and go back to what happened 5 minutes ago? Ridiculous.

exactly. Ryan threw the ball out and they over the half way line before ref went to VAR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iceland produce their magic again and against Argentina, hahahahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KieranR said:

Where can I see some games on tv, I’ve scrolled the channels and can’t find anything

SBS are playing them live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KieranR said:

Where can I see some games on tv, I’ve scrolled the channels and can’t find anything

Optus sport. 

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

SBS are playing them live.

One one game a day 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Optus have a $15 pass you can stream every game apparently but they are getting caned on the lines for dropouts, buffering and inability to watch. Combined with 4th world internet speeds generally, thanks for the NBN Malcolm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Optus Sport showing a good video of Risdon clearly getting foot on ball, no penalty, apparently ref wasn’t shown the angle during VAR process. Meanwhile other games blokes getting kicked in the ankle and VAR does nothing. Like the video bunker in NRL, more humans = more mistakes. Leave it to the ref on field, who made correct decision at the time. Ruins flow and is a coin toss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parkside said:

Optus Sport showing a good video of Risdon clearly getting foot on ball, no penalty, apparently ref wasn’t shown the angle during VAR process. Meanwhile other games blokes getting kicked in the ankle and VAR does nothing. Like the video bunker in NRL, more humans = more mistakes. Leave it to the ref on field, who made correct decision at the time. Ruins flow and is a coin toss

Agree, that was a huge call and there was no clear cut pen. Ronaldo's review looked like a dive. The VAM is not helping. The ref if we look at it:

Pen 1 did not give correct

Pen 2 Given, question why not review and red card the French Defender

Pogba goal, given, review not needed.

So this ref was pretty good. the VAR impacted the result which would have been likely to be 0-0 without VAR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parkside said:

Optus Sport showing a good video of Risdon clearly getting foot on ball, no penalty, apparently ref wasn’t shown the angle during VAR process. Meanwhile other games blokes getting kicked in the ankle and VAR does nothing. Like the video bunker in NRL, more humans = more mistakes. Leave it to the ref on field, who made correct decision at the time. Ruins flow and is a coin toss

Agreed on the touch. I haven't seen that replay, but on the one they showed on the night, it didn't look like he touched it, but you could see a change in the way the ball was spinning, which alluded to a touch. I was pissed off at the time because it should have gone as a "ref's call" due to that irregularity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

SBS are playing them live.

SBS have the rights, but have sold a stack of the games to Optus.  SBS have held onto every Aussie game at the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really understand the VAR process. The ref calls for it and there are people in the VAR room but then the ref sees the VAR footage on the sidelines, who is making the ultimate decision?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I don't really understand the VAR process. The ref calls for it and there are people in the VAR room but then the ref sees the VAR footage on the sidelines, who is making the ultimate decision?

Judging by last night, Stevie Wonder! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live 2 doors from an A League referees assessor. Had some interesting conversations with him during this A-League season. The VAR was forced upon FFA as a test nation for this world cup. Half way through the season and they still had no clear idea how it was supposed to be used. despite it being in use. 

From what I understand it's not like League where the referee calls for it at a break in play. The VAR room just looks back for blatant mistakes, mistaken identity for red cards etc. This can take a minute or 2, meanwhile play has moved on, they then notify the ref, they look at it some more, decide they can't decide then the ref comes and looks at a screen on half way. Can take 5 minutes and ruins the game. Ridiculous.

Last night's decision: French attacker didn't appeal strongly for a pen. Was never going to get to the ball anyway. Referee judged the context of the play, and the foot on the ball and played on. VAR mistake cost a goal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Parky. After the Oz match yesterday, the BBC pundits were saying that the VAR proved its worth in that match. I think they were watching a different game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SBS are gonna show all games for at least the next 48 hours while Optus sorts themselves out!

How long until SBS says it'll be showing all games for the rest of the world cup?  I reckon they'll announce in a little over 48 hours!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, goughy said:

SBS are gonna show all games for at least the next 48 hours while Optus sorts themselves out!

How long until SBS says it'll be showing all games for the rest of the world cup?  I reckon they'll announce in a little over 48 hours!

Budget cuts are the only reason that the World Cup isn't where it should be exclusively, SBS.

privatisation leads to a diminution in service, massive hikes in costs to consumers and rich ****s getting richer. Full stop.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have our games split between the BBC and ITV, all games FTA.  

Watched the Eng v Tunisia game last night.  Eng started well and then took their foot off the gas and nearly paid dearly for it. More VAR numptiness with Kane being wrestled to the ground twice in the penalty area and absolutely nothing done about it. Don't know what they are doing in that VAR but they aren't watching the game that's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/06/2018 at 7:15 PM, goughy said:

How long until SBS says it'll be showing all games for the rest of the world cup?  I reckon they'll announce in a little over 48 hours!

Actually, a few hours less than 48!  The rest of the group matches will be on SBS.......   Optus say they believe they have the problem sorted yet still released the rest of the group games to SBS.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting use of VAR last night in the Russia/Egypt match.  Ref called a free kick which should have been a penalty, VAR reviewed and saw that the foul continued into the box, so the ref then issued a penalty (correctly). It didn't take forever.

To me, that seems exactly how it should work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, FatPom said:

Interesting use of VAR last night in the Russia/Egypt match.  Ref called a free kick which should have been a penalty, VAR reviewed and saw that the foul continued into the box, so the ref then issued a penalty (correctly). It didn't take forever.

To me, that seems exactly how it should work.

Wish they'd shown the cheese to Ronaldo and pepe for playacting last night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parkside said:

Wish they'd shown the cheese to Ronaldo and pepe for playacting last night

I didn't see much of that one but did see the tap on the shoulder and the drama followed, was that Pepe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I didn't see much of that one but did see the tap on the shoulder and the drama followed, was that Pepe?

Yep sure was.

Ronaldo scored then spent 90 minutes falling over

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Yep sure was.

Ronaldo scored then spent 90 minutes falling over

 

It's the beautiful game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Australia played a great game last night. It was there for the take and they were definitely giving it a nudge, just need a bit of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rog said:

I thought Australia played a great game last night. It was there for the take and they were definitely giving it a nudge, just need a bit of luck!

Probably the best attacking effort I think Ive seen from Australia against a class opposition in a long time.  If only they started the first half like they started the second the result could have been a bit different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, KieranR said:

They fall over a lot in this game without anyone touching them.

I can't watch it. Maybe if they reviewed each game and handed out some harsh penalties for diving it would make them think twice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A2K said:

I can't watch it. Maybe if they reviewed each game and handed out some harsh penalties for diving it would make them think twice. 

They’re after Oscars 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get why they don't at least penalise the players, on video evidence, after the fact even.  Sure it might not get picked up during the game.  Should be a minimum yellow card after the fact, plus coins.  It's beyond ridiculous and happens in kids games and everything.  I used to tell Kyan, when he played, if he got taken down to get straight back up and keep playing until the ref blows a whistle.  And that is drag him from the field of I saw him take a dive.  Not that he would, but plenty did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Kruse had nudes of Ange, must be Gallop because he is still in the squad, let alone starting and butchering any sort of attack down the left. Put Matt Jurman at left wing, anyone but get that hunter out of the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't see the Oz game.  I was at a work dinner last night but they had the ARG v CRO game on. Great to see Argentina go down. Hate that team nearly as much as I hate France  (but not quite).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about the two man tackle (rugby style I guess) in the box in the switzerland v serbia game??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, goughy said:

How about the two man tackle (rugby style I guess) in the box in the switzerland v serbia game??

Yeah that was bad but no worse than the wrestling that happened to Kane in the Eng match ( twice). Probably a bit of natural justice when Switzerland missed their penalty.

Apart from that, I thought it was a good game and for mine, Switzerland scored the goal of the comp so far, that was a cracker. I think the better team won and sets it up for a tasty match between Serbia and Brazil. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unsurprisingly Australia's complete inability to produce world class strikers has cost us any chance of gamely qualifying. Throwing Cahill on when he can't get a run in a struggling A League team or Millwall is a sign of the times (or FFA's commercial contracts). We created enough attacking chances and bombed enough crosses in, just had no-one to finish.  Kruse, for all the flak he copped early, was serviceable against Peru. 

The manager did well enough I thought given the circumstances, we looked like absolute balls in qualifying and to see us get routed thrice would not have surprised anyone. the turnaround once a pragmatic formation was put in place was pleasing. we competed well against 2 top class opponents and were unlucky not to do better. Unfortunately we need to put the ball in the net, 50/50 calls never go to minnows and you can't ride your luck from the spot to advance.

Who to support now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Unsurprisingly Australia's complete inability to produce world class strikers has cost us any chance of gamely qualifying. Throwing Cahill on when he can't get a run in a struggling A League team or Millwall is a sign of the times (or FFA's commercial contracts). We created enough attacking chances and bombed enough crosses in, just had no-one to finish.  Kruse, for all the flak he copped early, was serviceable against Peru. 

The manager did well enough I thought given the circumstances, we looked like absolute balls in qualifying and to see us get routed thrice would not have surprised anyone. the turnaround once a pragmatic formation was put in place was pleasing. we competed well against 2 top class opponents and were unlucky not to do better. Unfortunately we need to put the ball in the net, 50/50 calls never go to minnows and you can't ride your luck from the spot to advance.

Who to support now? 

Who ever plays England

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nigeria were unlucky last night and deserved more from that game. Great to see that drugged up fat, cheating fcuktard Maradonna crying and biting his nails for a while.

I'm WFH and Mexico v Sweden is up next :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×