Jump to content
willie

Huge Savings and 30% off everything else* @ RunWith

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Herby said:

Hey Willie I run with the Arahi 2's, I found them great for my long runs and Ironman.  Not sure how they would go in an Olympic distance or shorter where I'm pushing harder as I find they automatically slow my cadence a bit compared to my Lunarglides which I've been using for years.  Is there a 'race' or lightish type Hoka that would be good for this (and still be my required type shoe)?  or could I even still use Lunarglides for shorter stuff? Or is that not recommended due to the big differences in the 2 shoes?

Cheers,

Matt

1

 

Mate, to be honest, I reckon you're on the right path with the Lunars for shorter stuff as long as your training in them every now and then also. The Arahi isn't what I'd call a fast shoe! There isn't a smaller "lightweight" stability shoe from Hoka (yet). If you wanted something a bit faster than the Lunar (and probably 70-90grams lighter) Saucony Fastwitch might be worth a shot. They're a 4mm drop shoe compared to 10mm (from memory, maybe 8mm) of the Lunars. But the Arahi are 5mm so going to make almost no difference. Unless you've got uber narrow and/or shallow feet they should fit a bit better than the Lunars as well. 

2 hours ago, Suburban Kid said:

Any running tights or running shorts? Couldnt see any on the site 

Yep they should get uploaded overnight hopefully (some skins and new balance)... I'll extend the offer out until Sunday. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, willie said:

 

Mate, to be honest, I reckon you're on the right path with the Lunars for shorter stuff as long as your training in them every now and then also. The Arahi isn't what I'd call a fast shoe! There isn't a smaller "lightweight" stability shoe from Hoka (yet). If you wanted something a bit faster than the Lunar (and probably 70-90grams lighter) Saucony Fastwitch might be worth a shot. They're a 4mm drop shoe compared to 10mm (from memory, maybe 8mm) of the Lunars. But the Arahi are 5mm so going to make almost no difference. Unless you've got uber narrow and/or shallow feet they should fit a bit better than the Lunars as well. 

 

Willie, I have the Arahi wide, and they're just about worn out, also have some fairly worn out non wide Clifton 3s and a pair of SpeedGoat II, which will be good for another winter.

Just bought a pair of wide Clifton 4s and like them (they seem stiffer than my old Cliftons). If I was going to rotate two road pairs, what would be a good lighter choice for 5-10km events?  I saw the Vanquish on the weekend but shop didn't have my size.

Edited by FatPom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, willie said:

 

Mate, to be honest, I reckon you're on the right path with the Lunars for shorter stuff as long as your training in them every now and then also. The Arahi isn't what I'd call a fast shoe! There isn't a smaller "lightweight" stability shoe from Hoka (yet). If you wanted something a bit faster than the Lunar (and probably 70-90grams lighter) Saucony Fastwitch might be worth a shot. They're a 4mm drop shoe compared to 10mm (from memory, maybe 8mm) of the Lunars. But the Arahi are 5mm so going to make almost no difference. Unless you've got uber narrow and/or shallow feet they should fit a bit better than the Lunars as well. 

Yep they should get uploaded overnight hopefully (some skins and new balance)... I'll extend the offer out until Sunday. 

Until Sunday 17th????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Suburban Kid said:

Until Sunday 17th????

yeah mate, 17th 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Willie, I can't see the Fastwtitch on the site? And is it ok up to 70.3 distance?

I train in the Hoka Gaviota and race in Clifton.

I use an orthotic although still prefer a touch of guidance, with adequate cushioning! BUT...needs to be light enough (talking race shoe here....years back I loved the old Nike Lunar Race with my orthotics in them for the control element).

Hoka Clayton...a bit too hard of a ride for me. A bit like how I find the Ahari versus the Gaviota (similar motion control but the Ahari too hard)

Hoka Tracer...way too narrow for me.

Tell me what I need mate (training and racing both is good), it's a poor allocation of my time.

US Size 9.

 

Edited by MJK
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MJK said:

Willie, I can't see the Fastwtitch on the site? And is it ok up to 70.3 distance?

I train in the Hoka Gaviota and race in Clifton.

I use an orthotic although still prefer a touch of guidance, with adequate cushioning! BUT...needs to be light enough (talking race shoe here....years back I loved the old Nike Lunar Race with my orthotics in them for the control element).

Hoka Clayton...a bit too hard of a ride for me. A bit like how I find the Ahari versus the Gaviota (similar motion control but the Ahari too hard)

Hoka Tracer...way too narrow for me.

Tell me what I need mate (training and racing both is good), it's a poor allocation of my time.

US Size 9.

 

 

Hey Mate, 

Fastwitch is a winner up until that 70.3 distance, even marathon is ok I reckon. I can order some Fastwitch for you if you like, I actually only have 3 pairs left in store (which is why they're not up on site sorry!)... Will still give you the same deal as advertised ;)

As for other shoes that would do that job (the lightweight), There's not too many because a lot of racing flats are narrow fits (like the Tracer). Especially not many with a bit of medial post in them. 

On 12/06/2018 at 5:16 AM, FatPom said:

Willie, I have the Arahi wide, and they're just about worn out, also have some fairly worn out non wide Clifton 3s and a pair of SpeedGoat II, which will be good for another winter.

Just bought a pair of wide Clifton 4s and like them (they seem stiffer than my old Cliftons). If I was going to rotate two road pairs, what would be a good lighter choice for 5-10km events?  I saw the Vanquish on the weekend but shop didn't have my size.

The Clifton 4 might not feel as responsive as the 3... They did a pretty radical update between 3 and 4. I reckon with how broken your body is from time to time I wouldn't worry too much about what shoe might be slightly faster, I reckon you're best off wearing whatever is keeping you injury free. If you're a mid foot striker the Cavu might be an option, it's one of the the Mach is supposedly not a bad shoe but I think the upper isn't so great on it... If you're really keen on a racing flat I'll do a bit of research and come up with a "maybe this is best but not perfect" kind of scenario? 

21 hours ago, matto1 said:

Hey Willie do you have any xc/ waffles size 7 , chasing some for my daughter

Yep. She's also able to get into womens racing flats with that size foot as well. What's she doing and how much of it is she doing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair crack Willie, touch-wood, my body isn't broken.

It's just as tight as a camel's arsehole these days. My ROM and elasticity is leaving me. 😉

I'm pretty resilient on the back of consistent training, but I do like some cushion under foot, some guidance, low drop, and a shoe that let's my feet work in them a bit.

The best Clifton is my first one that is probably about 3 years old now....I save it just for racing.

It's got heaps of rocker in it compared to the newer, heavier one's they released in subsequent years. Bent like a banana and makes for a great transition of the foot across the ground.

Let me research this Fastwitch thing a bit on Youtube, mate.

Thanks.

Matt

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The Clifton 4 might not feel as responsive as the 3... They did a pretty radical update between 3 and 4. I reckon with how broken your body is from time to time I wouldn't worry too much about what shoe might be slightly faster, I reckon you're best off wearing whatever is keeping you injury free. If you're a mid foot striker the Cavu might be an option, it's one of the the Mach is supposedly not a bad shoe but I think the upper isn't so great on it... If you're really keen on a racing flat I'll do a bit of research and come up with a "maybe this is best but not perfect" kind of scenario? 

Cheers Willie.  Yes, definitely injury free is the priority. I guess a better question might be, if I were to rotate two pairs which other pair would I look at, given the shoes I've had in the past?  I guess the answer might be two of the same pairs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run in the Saucony Fastwitch, it is similar to Brooks Cadence, Asics DS Racer and allegedly the New Balance 1500 (I haven't run in this one), the DS Racer and 1500 might have been discontinued anyway? Like most "tempo" shoes it wears fast so best to rotate with something more durable. I injured an achilles running too many miles in a dead pair, subsequently raced an IM in the more conservative Asics Feather Guide  (more heel-drop, cushioning and stability). Everyone's different and while I feel extra cushioning reduces the 30km-ground-fee-burn I felt the increased weight creates more ground force impact. I am now back in the Fastwitch, I would try the Nike Zoom VaporFly if they weren't so expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJK said:

Fair crack Willie, touch-wood, my body isn't broken.

It's just as tight as a camel's arsehole these days. My ROM and elasticity is leaving me. 😉

I'm pretty resilient on the back of consistent training, but I do like some cushion under foot, some guidance, low drop, and a shoe that let's my feet work in them a bit.

The best Clifton is my first one that is probably about 3 years old now....I save it just for racing.

It's got heaps of rocker in it compared to the newer, heavier one's they released in subsequent years. Bent like a banana and makes for a great transition of the foot across the ground.

Let me research this Fastwitch thing a bit on Youtube, mate.

Thanks.

Matt

 

I think Willie was referring to me Matt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

I run in the Saucony Fastwitch, it is similar to Brooks Cadence, Asics DS Racer and allegedly the New Balance 1500 (I haven't run in this one), the DS Racer and 1500 might have been discontinued anyway? Like most "tempo" shoes it wears fast so best to rotate with something more durable. I injured an achilles running too many miles in a dead pair, subsequently raced an IM in the more conservative Asics Feather Guide  (more heel-drop, cushioning and stability). Everyone's different and while I feel extra cushioning reduces the 30km-ground-fee-burn I felt the increased weight creates more ground force impact. I am now back in the Fastwitch, I would try the Nike Zoom VaporFly if they weren't so expensive.

It’s not really similar to cadence or DS racer or trainer, yeah they’re all kind of lightweight “light/mild stability” but far from the same. ASICS quite firm and reasonably straight fit. Saucony quite soft and somewhat round fit. The brooks asteria would be the closest comparison and the older ST4/5 very similar. 

Not sure about the ASICS being discontinued but 110% sure the 1500 hasn’t. I stock it along with the 1400.

I tried the vapour fly and didn’t agree with me at all. It’s a shoe you need to adjust your running style to run well in. I feel for a lot of people it’d do more harm then good  I’ve said it before and will say it again. One of the best, if not the best piece of marketing hype ever in running  

29 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I think Willie was referring to me Matt.

Pretty sure you’re one of the most broken people here FP. it’s got me beat how you keep getting your body back to doing things it probably shouldn’t, motivation level expert I reckon. As for shoes, I’d go back to what works if I was you. But if you’re a mid-forefoot striker the cavy might be ok (it doesn’t transition very well from heel to toe, it’s kinda weird!). The risk for you really isn’t worth 30secs over 10k

2 hours ago, MJK said:

Fair crack Willie, touch-wood, my body isn't broken.

It's just as tight as a camel's arsehole these days. My ROM and elasticity is leaving me. 😉

Let me research this Fastwitch thing a bit on Youtube, mate.

Thanks.

Matt

 

If you love the rocker I’d probably look at finding an pair of the same version of the Clifton’s you like. You’d be surprised what some shops still have hidden away. The last shop I almost ended up buying 18months a go had stock from 6-7years back. The dude was a massive tight ass and wouldn’t sell it off cheap. I stuck my head in there recently and nothings changed, he’s probably have some :P

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, willie said:

 

Pretty sure you’re one of the most broken people here FP. it’s got me beat how you keep getting your body back to doing things it probably shouldn’t, motivation level expert I reckon. As for shoes, I’d go back to what works if I was you. But if you’re a mid-forefoot striker the cavy might be ok (it doesn’t transition very well from heel to toe, it’s kinda weird!). The risk for you really isn’t worth 30secs over 10k

 

 

Cheers Willie, hasn't been easy and loads of times I've wanted to chuck it in but something keeps nagging me deep down. I'm definitely cautious with running these days and running just three times a week seems to be controllable.  Can see a time where it's a lot more cycling but I'm trying to hang in there as long as i can.

I try to be a mid/front foot striker as much as I can but somewhere around the 15km mark, I'm pretty sure my form drops a fair bit.  One thing I liked about the Arahi was that I didn't seem to be paying a huge penatly for failing form. It seemed quite forgiving in that regard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting insights Willie. For better or worse my previous filtering had been based on similar stability, heel to toe drop and stack height. Will give the Asteria a try.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/06/2018 at 12:16 PM, willie said:

 

 

The Clifton 4 might not feel as responsive as the 3... They did a pretty radical update between 3 and 4.  

Yeah I had the Clifton 3s, then bought the 4s, didn't like them as much so found another pair of 3s in the US and had them shipped out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×