zed

c02 on planes?

Flew to Perth no issues (Virgin) but was given two choices when travelling to Austria - either leave the bike case in Sydney ( I had 5x cO2 in it) or let the airport stuff to break in and take c02 out. Thankfully they failed to break the locks and called me to bring the key.

Apparently only 40g is allowed I was told.

1 hour ago, Torn said:

Flew to Perth no issues (Virgin) but was given two choices when travelling to Austria - either leave the bike case in Sydney ( I had 5x cO2 in it) or let the airport stuff to break in and take c02 out. Thankfully they failed to break the locks and called me to bring the key.

Apparently only 40g is allowed I was told.

Sounds like the solution is carry a maximum of two or better still buy them at destination. I have never been to a race where you can't buy some.

Play safe everyone.

There are differencs between carriers.  The OP was in relation to Jetstar specifically.

For me I use Jetstar with the MTB because of their weight policy and also into Geelong (Avalon) where they are the only carrier.

Other than that, I prefer Virgin. Virgin's policy is that you can carry up to 4 CO2 bottles, either checked or carry on, but you just need to let them know at check in.

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/plan/baggage/dangerous-goods/

On 04/06/2018 at 9:14 AM, Bored@work said:

They are a dangerous goods item. I have completed the Qantas Goods DG course and remember asking about them. They are permitted on a commercial aircraft in limited quantities (hence the limit per person)

As others have said its not worth relying on the Muppet at check in knowing the rules.

The US based Ironman races have a charity buy back scheme for unused Co2 after the race.  I think it's $3 per canister & they buy them back off you at $2 with the money going to a local charity.

That's a common sense policy - I have had them taken out of my bike bag in US - it's not a big cost to simply buy a couple when you get there compared to all the other expenses up to that point 😎